[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Best Pet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

What's the best, well-rounded pet? I'm talking about one that averages best in the following categories:

>Upkeep: Cost to buy, house, feed, and care for medically.

>Messiness: Poop and pee, shedding, and smell.

>Asthetics: Cuteness or coolness. Is the habitat an eyesore?

>Entertainment: Can you cuddle it? Train it? Take it places?

>Difficulty: Is it easy to train? Will it cause property damage or noise complaints? Is it easy to keep healthy?

Give your chosen pet 1 to 5 stars in each category.

I say a rabbit.

Upkeep ***
Messiness ***
Asthetics *****
Entertainment ****
Difficulty *****
>>
>>2294819
Degus

Upkeep:3/5
Initial cost are high but after that they're super cheap
Messiness:2/5
Asthetic:5/5
Entertainment:5/5
Difficulty:2/5
They don't have commercial foods yet.

They're easy to care for, are as smart and friendly as rat's. Live as long as dogs and are cute as hell.
>>
>>2294835
rat>degu

i have 10lb dog that costs less than my rabbit so op's projections are off
>>
Well, rats seem like the best based off of that list, i have 2 myself.
>upkeep: ***
>messiness: *** (depends on rat, males are more smelly and it could just be the rat itself)
>Asthetics: ****
>Entertainment: ***** (you can cuddle it, train it and even take it places on your shoulder)
>Difficulty: *** (could be a bit of a hassle to train and they like to chew on stuff but they are almost completely silent)
>>
>>2294838
I live in Texas, so it my prices may be skewed. Here they cost a good $50 to $100 for a nicely bred lop, and feed/bedding is pretty cheap. A good hutch will cost around the price of a doghouse. Dogs start to get more expensive once you account for shots, food, spaying and the occasional destruction of possessions. I do think small dogs come close, but big dogs are more expensive.
>>
>>2294819
I own 3yo rabbit dutch breed

Upkeep 2/5
Kind of expensive but much cheaper than dog or cat food
Messiness 2/5
Doesn't make mess but will chew on things or pee on my bed
Asthetics 3/5
It's just a house rabbit and real quiet too maybe because of breed. As long it's not a nz white meat rabbit or brown wild rabbit I'm happy with owning her.
Entertainment 2/5
If you love them they won't be a nuisance. I had a white flop black spotted rabbit male and he stomped the floor a lot because I didn't love him enough I gave him away.
Difficulty 1/5
Very easy knock on wood she's just 3yo atm. No fleas unless it transfers from dog or cat fleas in multi-pet household.
>>
>>2294819
Not hating on rabbits, but I would have honestly thought they'd be about the most work put into an animal for the least amount of return.

I'd say cats probably offer the most while needing the least. You can legally neglect them, never let them step foot inside, make them catch that majority of their own food, and as long as you occasionally feed it and give it attention it will come back until it dies. Not that I recommend it.
>>
File: lulu.jpg (211KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
lulu.jpg
211KB, 2048x1152px
Hi anon , I've got a bunny. Pic related.

Depends from bunny to bunny , doe. I had an orange bunny that learned very fast , in 2 weeks I gave him a whole room to run around with one litterbox , treats hidden under the table, behind my TV and my bookshelf , no piss or poop on the floor , always in the litterbox.

The second type is pic related. Hardest bunny to train , ever. It's been 2 months since I have her. She's pooping all over the floor , pissing everywhere she wants , digs into her food and not into the sawdust pile , very messy overall. Kind of aggressive too, she only gets love when she wants so I can't give her a nose-rub when I want.

Both my bunnies weren't neutered , both female , it's just genetics I guess. Pic related is a lion-head bunny , the other one was a farm bunny or something like that , idk really.
>>
>>2294819
How does this work?
5 stars in difficulty means difficult?i thought they were easy as fuck to take care of.

5 stars upkeep means expensive?
>>
>>2294835
I have two degus, they're great fun, right cheeky little fuckers. One of them will play fight with me. The other spends half its life sucking itself off.

There is commercial food branded for degus over here (UK), although they eat the same shit as chinchillas, those nugget things.

I've had rats, they're great, but only live a couple of years, and that's if they done break out in tumours before they die of old age. Degus can make 8 or so years pretty easily.

They do need a decent cage though.

I have guinea pigs as well, they're pretty cool
>>
>>2294819
Honestly, a cat. They basically need no training for anything, they're cute, you can get them for free 90% of the time, easy to keep healthy and all vets can treat them.
>>
>>2295140
I guess my rating system was a bit ambiguous, I meant for five stars to mean the best, like a Yelp review.
>>2295192
At base level of care, I think you are right. I came from the background experience of having major allergies and trying to find pet-friendly rentals, which cats make very difficult.
>>
>>2295212
That's good. I want to get 2 rabbits that get along but I have a Normalfag work schedule and little to no social life. I used to own a dog but my old landlord was allergic to it so I gave her away to my cousin. Now I want rabbits because they are cute as hell
>>
File: doggo ok.jpg (45KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
doggo ok.jpg
45KB, 500x667px
Doggos. How is this even a question?
>>
Moths
>>
>>2295349
is it really a pet if it lasts less than a month?
>>
>>2295351

Some moths live over 5 months brotha
>>
>>2295292
It's a good apartment pet. Get two girls, a mix of gender is tough to keep from getting preggo. Invest in a decent sized hutch for happy buns and let them roam the house supervised.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l11-H2-cg00
>>
>>2295379

Have to watch this shit on mute however you can't not love hawk moths
>>
Harry the elephant moth of.2 he flies into a spiderweb try not to fall in love with the girl talking. https://youtu.be/1NkQO7qiFkU
>>
>>2295380
She sounds like such a qt though
>>
>>2295174
ginnies are shit and don't really learn anything else except the sound of fridge opening.
>>
File: 1458061843217.jpg (44KB, 429x485px) Image search: [Google]
1458061843217.jpg
44KB, 429x485px
>>2294819
Rats.

>Upkeep: 3/5
Initially expense in buying a suitable cage/equipment is high, but after that maintenance is super cheap. Medical bills likely, usually antibiotics or tumour removal. Minimum of two rats needed, they absolutely must NOT be kept alone.

>Messiness: 2/5
Don't shed, can be taught to pee/poop in a box. Only smell when not cleaned out.

>Aesthetics: 4/5
Take your pick, you can have little cuties or big hulking gophers. Cages can looking amazing when filled with toys, hammocks etc.

>Entertainment: 5/5
Fucking hilarious animals, full of personality. Each is an individual. Love human company (one is asleep on my chest right now as I type). Can be trained to do tricks.

>Difficulty: 2/5
Practically look after themselves. Will chew holes in absolutely everything (your clothes, the sofa, the TV remote etc). Need daily exercise outside their case and need supervising when doing so (a group of rats is called a mischief for a reason).

Absolutely brilliant pets, love them to pieces. Just wish they lived longer.
>>
>>2295625
Guinea Pigs are good pets, they're happy chilling with you, if that's what you want from a pet.
>>
>>2295631
>Don't shed, can be taught to pee/poop in a box. Only smell when not cleaned out.
don't they leave droplets of piss literally everywhere they go
>>
>>2297177
Some rats can be trained out of it (mostly), others can't. Males are more likely to piss everywhere than females, and old/young rats are less likely to do it than adolescents.

So I guess I'm saying the answer to your question is yes.
>>
>>2295631
female rats, yes. male rats, no.

Girl rats are very clean and absolutely never piss or shit on you.

Boy rats smell like urine and will pee all over you.
>>
Doggos

>Upkeep: 1/5
Price to own one can range from free to several thousand. Significant upfront costs. High quality food is expensive. Ongoing vet care is generally not that bad, but surprise health crises can set you back thousands.

>Messiness: 3/5
She'd, but once house trained will almost never piss or poo in the house. Sometimes they smell but you can give them bathes to make them smell nice.

>Aesthetics: 6/5
Dogs are qt3.14

>Entertainment: 5/5
They're you're best friend!

>Difficulty: 3/5
Depends too much on the dog and individual
>>
>itt: rodent fags
>>
>>2295631
People love to say rats are clean. Mine shit in their food bowl and where they sleep. Not to mention they absolutely drench their favorite sleeping places in piss.
>>
>>2294819
Rats are the most rounded small pet, I think.
>upkeep *****
Cheap as hell after upfront costs like the cage and supplies. They generally don't need to go to the vet, either. A nice looking cage will cost 100-200 bucks, but it'll last you a long time and it's much nicer than looking at an ugly cage.
>messiness ***
Males will tinkle on you, but they can otherwise be litter trained pretty easily. They chew stuff, but most small pets do.
>aesthetics ****
Cute and cool. A lot of girls will throw a little melodramatic hissy fit about rats and how ugly they are, but that's just because people are obnoxious. Their cages look pretty nice, IMO. especially critter nations.
>entertainment ***
They do a lot of funny stuff and some of them are very cuddly. Most rats are very tolerant of handling and petting, especially old ones. They're not as fun to watch as mice, though. Depends on what entertains you.
>difficulty *****
They're easy to train. No noise complaints. They're very easy to keep healthy; the most common health issue is respiratory problems and both of the meds a vet would prescribe you are available OTC.

Rabbits are also great, but they take a lot more care. Well, if you actually care for it appropriately, that is. They need to be neutered, vaccinated, and ideally house trained. They also need huge enclosures or to be free range around the house. They're far from the easiest pet if you care for them like you're supposed to. Also, most rabbits are indifferent and unfriendly. I consider them great pets, but I wouldn't consider them well-rounded. I'd rate them:
Upkeep: **
Messiness: ***
Aesthetics: *****
Entertainment: ***
Difficulty: **
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.