[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, I'm a little new. Is this an okay place to talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: skullamp.jpg (298KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
skullamp.jpg
298KB, 1280x1024px
Hey /an/, I'm a little new. Is this an okay place to talk about vulture culture? Or is this board for strictly living animals? I'm just asking because finding experienced vultures near me has been a pain, I'm a little new to the whole thing but have an okay-sized collection. Pic related is a crystallized doe skull I own that costed me a pretty penny, but it was worth it.
If it is okay, what are your favorite things to collect? Do you have any advice for someone who's new to the whole thing? If location helps, I'm in Arizona. I've got no idea where to start looking for stuff, how early, and all that. General vulture thread, discuss dead things!
>>
I've been a vulture since before vulture culture was a named thing. Years and years ago, when I was a little kid, I'd go along the beach collecting the bones that washed up there, and seagull feathers (this is legal in my country.) Sometimes, when I was hiking on farms, I'd come across beautiful sheep skulls, but I also found sheep skulls in a couple of unlikely locations.

Sometimes I'd make necklaces out of bird skulls and the little vertebrae of fish and small mammals.

I haven't been really into it lately, but I've still got my entire collection packed away somewhere. I am, however, beginning to dabble in taxidermy.

I have no idea how to help you, though. I don't know squat about Arizona or the laws there/. If it's legal, you can look at picking up roadkill and cleaning it yourself.
>>
>>2294580
>vulture culture
Is it about collecting bones specifically, or just dead, inert animal things? My dad had a couple animal skulls and a lot of taxidermy when I was a kid. I don't know where most of it is anymore.
>>
File: 1472994823166.jpg (504KB, 1829x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1472994823166.jpg
504KB, 1829x2400px
>>2294580

time to go >>>/out/ brother. it's the right board for this thread.
>>
>Is this an okay place to talk about vulture culture?
no.
just stick to masturbating on etsy, there is no need to discuss roadkill finding tricks, you just drive someplace.
>>
>>2294626
It's just scavenging for dead things in general. It's mostly bones, but you can get pelts, organs, feet, etc from it too if they're fresh.

As for OP, look along highways especially in the morning to find what got hit in the night. That's pretty much the only 'tip'.
For those who live where it snows a lot, I've had some good finds in the woods after snow melts where deer didn't make it. I moved and unfortunately there's just no roadkill here aside from the occasional porcupine and I don't even know where to begin with those. Doesn't seem worth it. They're prickly and they smell too much.
>>
i get made fun of for collecting dead animals and cool rocks/fossils at work and I DON'T CARE
>>
>>2294580
well arizona is a fucking desert, so anything you find will probably already be sunbleached
depending on what kind of raggedy scraps of skin are still attached to it, you may have to macerate it for a while

as for laws on what you can and cannot keep, i cant really help you there. Im pretty sure federal law dictates you can't keep parts from raptors or migratory native birds, also marine mammal parts but i doubt youll have that problem
>>
I dredged up a mud crab shell with it's feelers still attached and an almost complete skeleton of an eel or snake of some sort.
I no longer have either which is a shame.
My cat knocked my crab shell off a shelf and it shattered and i had to ditch the skeleton because it smelled so bad and the car trip was long.

>>2294773
What do they even say?
>>
Can we talk about taxidermy in general?
What are your dream items? Realistic or unrealistic(like illegal)?

I'd like a white coyote, a pale obvious coydog, 'blue' wolf, polar bear rug, male baboon skull, lifesize indian bull, lifesize bison, yak and musk ox off the top of my head.

For unrealistic I'd say
>tiger/leopard anything(i've missed multiple legal opportunities since they appeared in my old state a few times i was living there, they just don't pop up often enough)
>cheetah anything
>lifesize yak(i did see a lifesize yak calf for sale though)
>elephant tusks
>full size mammoth tusks
>passenger pigeon(ive seen that shit go for over 20k easily)
>male mandrill skull
>sperm whale tooth
>narwhal skull
>walrus skull
>>
i trap, and am going to start keeping all skulls and pelts ( provided theyre in half decent shape)
no clue on what il use them for but oh well
>>
>>2294600
Why would collecting seagull feathers be illegal?
>>
>>2295041
In the US and I also believe Canada its illegal to have parts of native birds and raptors unless they're house sparrows, pigeons and European starlings. Doesn't matter how common they are.
Gamebirds you can hunt in their season, some places allow crow hunting I believe and Im not sure about Canada geese anymore since they cull them all the time outside of their season.
>>
OP, I THINK collecting roadkill is illegal in Arizona but don't quote me on that. Even if it is, you can still scavenge elsewhere.

>>2294630
I think vulture culture fits better with /an/, honestly. Since it's a pursuit entirely related to animals/nature.
>>
There was a vulture culture expo sort of near me last fall. I'm not really into the shit myself but I think it's neat to look at. I didn't go though because vulture culture seems to largely be a Tumblr thing. I have always wanted to get into skinning/dressing hunted animals, with the intention to basically try and make as much money from the parts I won't use as possible. One thing about this culture is they love to buy dumb shit.

What is it with fat Gothic chicks and wet specimens? I was very interested in making wet specimens but honestly the community really turned me off.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.