[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lionfish Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Lionfish-spearednotxt.jpg (20KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Lionfish-spearednotxt.jpg
20KB, 600x450px
This may be an odd thread, but I don't really know where else I would ask this question.

As I'm entering my mid 20s and the grim reality of my uncertain future is slowly approaching, I remembered something I heard back when I was a dived with my uncle. I recall that lionfish hunting is a very real thing in places like southeastern U.S. and the Mediterranean. Is this occupation actually something you could live off of, or is it more of a recreational activity that you just happen to get some money for? I know it would have to cover the cost of your diving equipment/fuel costs, but is it enough standalone?
>>
I believe because they aren't good eatin' and are an invasive species, there is simply no laws preventing hunting lionfish. I do not believe there is any financial reward for them, and will indeed cost you a lot of money and perhaps your life if you're not careful.

tl;dr
get a job m8
>>
>>2294383
>you just happen to get some money for?
Not even that anymore. Lionfish breed so quickly that funds got depleted and discontinued pretty quick. For short periods of the year, like a week or less, some places will have a $100 bounty.

Otherwise, I think the only places that still have a continuous bounty only offer $5 an intact fish. That's less than a tank of air and you may only see 1 to 15 fish a dive. Average is maybe 3.

Tl;dr if you could live off it, I'd be doing it.
>>
That's a damn shame. Thanks for the replies, it was worth a shot.
>>
>>2294396
That said, please do kill any lionfish you come across while diving. No point in letting the suckers live just because you can't profit off of them.
>>
>>2294399
Will do. I don't usually go diving in the Atlantic ocean, but if I ever wind up there, I'll give those buggers hell.
>>
>>2294385
Sorry m8 you're wrong. Lionfish are tasty as fuck, they taste a bit like snapper. You can also make money selling them in some places but not everywhere lets you sell them becuase of the venom. Despite all this you couldnt make a living off it.
>>
>>2294385
>>2294538
Isn't the toxin only on the fin and not on the meat?
>>
>>2294383
They even removed the need for licensing to hunt them here in Florida, the FWC hates them that much. Also I have seen fillets selling for $25 a pound at publix.
>>
>>2294538
>>2294581
Yup, part of the problem is that it's a lot of trouble to prepare for something that doesn't have much meat. Not to mention that you can't just catch and store them en masse if you plan on eating/selling their meat because then their fins will jab at one another.
>>
>>2294581
It's like pufferfish. You can eat them but a lot of work goes into it so it's not worth it especially when there is very little market for it.

You could always be a fisherman or a guide if you want to stick to warmer waters.
>>
>>2294895
even more trouble than pufferfish actually, and without the luxurious reputation of the latter either.
>>
File: IMG_20160924_120028913.jpg (4MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_120028913.jpg
4MB, 5344x3006px
>>2294383
I have to try them someday. Maybe this weekend.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.