[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/-Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 67

File: image.jpg (194KB, 500x253px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194KB, 500x253px
Previous Thread: >>2288021

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.google.com
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters - http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
>>2294220
Cute snek
>>
File: 20170108_204037.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_204037.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Just wanted to thank all the anons that regularly contribute to this general. Its a mainstay for me and love it. Always comfy. Gunna dump some pics of muh tank in gratitude
>>
File: 20170108_204049.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_204049.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
File: 20170108_204058.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_204058.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
File: 20170108_204111.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_204111.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Cory master race
>>
File: 20170108_204119.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_204119.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
File: IMG_1205.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1205.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Novice here, just got a 12G with 2 Platy, both male. Smaller of the two seems to be spitting out a lot of food and the other seems to be aggressive occasionally but apart from that they seem to be fine. Any general keeping suggestions, possibility of adding different fish etc.?
>>
>>2294365
you should add a second of third platy male. this way the agression will split. otherwise the more dominant male will harrass the other until it dies.

you could add a small school (6-10) of micro rasboras
>>
>>2294401
Think I could add both?
>>
>>2294332
I want to marry you.
>>
>>2294405
yes, but only if you choose a small schooling fish, e.g. ~3cm ones
>>
File: IMG_1938.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1938.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Can anyone recommend to me a qt dither fish that would complement my tank nicely? I have a pair of German Blue Rams that are quite shy and would like them to feel a bit more secure, however I'm not totally sold on neon tetras. Can anyone recommend some more ~unique~ looking tetras or anything that forms a small shoal and will help the balance in my tank? There is also a betta in there (he's cool, and I have another tank ready to go if problems arise), as well as 2 Amano shrimp and 7 or so apple snails of varying size. Tank is a 29g, has been running for about 4 months now I think. Don't know all parameters off the top of my head, know that ammonia/nitrites arent really an issue, have a filter for 50g and all those damn plants. Nitrates tend to cruise around 10 I think, temperature is usually 80.

Also, input on the leftmost side of my tank? A Petco was having a store closing sale so I picked up some resin decor at a steep discount since I needed some more hidey holes, don't really like how "green" it is however. Have I done a decent enough job integrating it into the scape?
>>
File: 20170108_155920.jpg (3MB, 3154x1771px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_155920.jpg
3MB, 3154x1771px
What's the best algae eater for glass? This brownish stuff refuses to brush off.
>>
>>2294513
Pencilfish are great ditherfish. Nannostomus mortenthaleri or eques are the most common and either one would be great in your tank. They can be hard to find, so you might have to order them online.

More common suggestions would be ember tetras (easily 15 in your tank), serpae tetras, or some kind of rasbora.
>>
>>2294332
Awesome. Are the big-leafed stem plants Hygrophila corymbosa?
>>
>>2294513
My favorite schoolers are Celestichthys and Trigonostigma species, especially C. margaritatus (CPDs) and T. espei (Espei rasboras). Nannostomus are definitely up there, though.

>Also, input on the leftmost side of my tank?
I think it would look better if you were able to move the topmost peak to be at the 1/3rd of the way from the left edge and trimmed the wisteria and hornwort to maintain more even lines.

>>2294595
I don't think I'd recommend serpae tetras with a HM betta. That betta has huge fins and serpaes have a pretty bad reputation for fin biting.

>>2294589
Farlowella catfish and Otocinclus are good for the brown stuff. Read up on them beforehand and make sure you know the care for them first, though, as they can both be rather delicate.

Hardier alternatives would be bristlenose plecos or nerite snails.
>>
>>2294406
No homo though
>>
>>2294627
Not sure desu
>>
>>2294632
>nerite snails
Are those the only kind of snail/invert that do a good job? What about those mystery snails at the chain stores?
>>
File: potimirim1.jpg (170KB, 458x335px) Image search: [Google]
potimirim1.jpg
170KB, 458x335px
Just got some more gorgeous native bluefin killies from my local canal, as well as brazilian shrimp. They're like cherry shrimp, but with a darker version of amano shrimp. Pic isn't any I caught cuz they always fucking hide! How do I get them out and about?
>>
>>2294666
Mystery snails aren't great for algae control. They're more likely to seek meaty foods and soft-leaved live plants. Amano shrimp are another good algae-eating invert, but the angelfish might eat them.
PetSmart carries nerites.
>>
I put a crayfish in my tank and he's eating my plants
can i make it stop or do i just have to get rid of him?
>>
>>2294830
They won't stop. They're assholes. Could always put some rubber bands on his snib snabs. Or eat him.
>>
>>2294842
guess ill have to toss him into our pond before he kills my anubuias
he gets along surprisingly well with my amanos though
>>
>>2294845
Eat him
>>
I bet it eatz sheit
>>
>>2294830
This is why pet stores amputate their snibs.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (112KB, 1689x950px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
112KB, 1689x950px
I live in Britain and no one here seems to know what ghost shrimps are.

The only thing I've seen called ghost shrimp and feeder shrimp for marine tanks and the guy in the store assured me that they were salt water shrimp that would die in fresh water.

Today at another store I saw these for sale labelled "river shrimp".

They were in the fresh water section but in the cold water part. I was told they were mainly food and that they would die in a tropical tank.

So are these ghost shrimp? And if so why would I be told they would die in tropical water?
>>
>>2294916
The one you saw might be a european shrimp, Atyaephyra desmaresti. They indeed don't do well in warm water in the long term.

The ones labeled as ghost shrimps are usually Macrobrachium lanchesteri or Palaemonetes paludosus.
>>
>>2294918
I asked the guy what their real name was and he just pointed to the label that said "river shrimp".

I hate this about fish shops. Are the people that work there actually knowledgeable about the hobby, and don't want to seem autistic so they wont discuss complicated things with normies. Or do they just know nothing?

I've heard a lot of dumb things from people that work in fish shops like misnaming fish or plants.
>>
>>2294919
Around here (Washington State) we have the "I'm 16 and love animals and have a 10 gallon, i've been keeping fish for 3 years, so i pretty much know everything."

We have quite a few competent lifers around, but usually you will only bump into them at the LFS occasionally. They never work there or own a shop. The exception is a store in Renton called "Sierra Fish and Pets" the owner is a planted/reef nut, and my go to advisor.

I steer clear of corporate (big box) fish stores for this reason.
>>
i need inspiration for decorating my 50 long

id like to keep this as low cost as is possible as im cheap as fuk
so stuff i can scavenge from the woods etc would be appreciated ( yes boiling everything before introducing it )

how do i tell what kinds of rocks wont affect the water in negitive ways,

i woud consider doing planted with native plants but dont have a co2 source and i havent done any reading into it yet to see how difficult it would be

going to be keeping both bottom fish and suspending fish in said tank, already have gravel bottom
>>
>>2294711
The only reason I'd move to Florida is because of all the aquatic wildlife.
>>
>>2294916
>shrimps
Shrimp is the plural or shrimp, shrimps is a group of different kinds of shrimp. Similar to fishes being various kinds of fish.
>>
>>2295057
Wood can be very tricky, Some woods have fungi, sap, bacteria, bugs in them that can create harmful toxins in the water. Other woods can deteriorate quickly in water as micro organism intensify the decomposing process. If you're looking for wood in a forest, chances are the wood will be less dense than water, and only with the help of a really long saturation process, will it actually sink.

With rocks, you can use acid to tell if they're safe or not. The most commonly used acid is vinegar, however it might be too weak to show bad rocks. KingofDIY(Uarujoey) channel on youtube has the best acid. When acid isplaced on rock, it will either fizzle, or not fizzle. If it fizzles, then it's not ph neutral and will fuck up your tank's parameters. If it does NOT fizzle, then it's good to go.

I'd type more, but I'm doing a water change and I've been holding a shit for over an hour.
>>
>>2295074
have any inspiration?
is middle of winter but i want to start redecorating since originally it was put together very quickly

think im going to go siphon out half the water and redecorate a bit with the rocks i have
i aso have an old stick i had in a terrarium i may add in

had heard of ( and used) vinegar but was wondering if there was any better way

i really want to get this to be a nice native tank
>>
>>2295076
Terrarium stick is a no go to my knowledge.
Go by the rule of thirdshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
Great way to understand depth perception in designs. Or, just look at underwater photos. And think of what your local habitats look like from underwater.

What kind of natives do you have? What region, country, state do you live in? You can be like me in Florida, but Florida has tons of ecoregions and habitats, or you could be in Britain, and knowing what habitats to look for and the species to use is a lot easier to figure out.
>>
>>2295065
the only reason I'd move to florida is because of alligators and all the cool invasive lizards
>>
>>2294332
wow nice
>>
>>2294220
what kind of fish is that? it's very appealing to me as a herpfag
>>
>>2295087
A bichir. They are "primitive" ray finned fish with a pair of lungs.
>>
>>2295093
cool, my favorite fish are lungfish. it looks like bichirs aren't in that class though.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 677x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 677x750px
>>2295084
>>
>>2295099
Lungfish are lobe-finned, Bichirs are ray-finned.
>>
>>2295104
Ya and?
>>
File: IMG_2741.jpg (63KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2741.jpg
63KB, 640x427px
>>2295104
How much more fin do you need to be considered lobe-finned?
>>
>>2295107
Don't ask me, I'm not real scientist yet.
>>
>>2295102
but they are cool. I would like to catch them send them to some wildlife sanctuary kind of place. or wherever you would send them. I wonder if they would let me keep some if I got a permit?

does anyone know what effects those lizards have on florida's ecosystem though? it doesn't seem like they hurt much
>>
>>2295116
Some of our invasives royal fuck over the environment, while some just loiter like homeless people. And others it's both.
>>
>>2295104
I'm liking how bichirs look more than lungfish now after looking up more pictures, but on the other hand lungfish are more interesting taxonomically
>>
>>2295118
yeah I figure stuff like burmese pythons are pretty bad. holy shit though, I didn't know tegus and nile monitors had established populations in florida
>>
>>2295082
Northeast USA
Just dropped tank down. Cleaned gravel best I could for now.
Rearranged some shit
Water is a bit murkey due to all the shit in the gravel I stirred up (I don't gravel vacume frequently enough )

Now I'm trying to set up some better lighting
Currently just have normal lights from the room it's in but I managed to scab a nice light that just barley fits the aquarium
Going to try to see if I can figure a way to mount it now. Without fucking everything up
>>
>>2294916
All species of Palaemonetes look virtually identical, despite some being freshwater shrimp and others being saltwater shrimp.

>>2294918
The shrimp in his picture don't look like A. desmaresti, they look much more like P. paludosus.

>>2295076
Terrarium wood is usually grape wood, which isn't good for aquariums. If it's mopani or manzanita, then you can use it.
Oak and beech are also good, but you have to be sure it doesn't have any pesticides on it and that it's sufficiently dry (usually means it's been sitting for over a year), then you have to soak it for a long time to make it sink.

Home improvement stores sell muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, which is better for telling if rocks are okay to use.
>>
>>2295133
In what ways is grapewood bad for an aquarium?
(What I have doesn't resemble grapewood anyways but just curious )

Aquarium looks slightly better but still not good enough need more cover for my fish they alltend to group at one cover and avoid the other cover for some reason
Doing lighting tests now
>>
>>2295107
Lobe-finned fish have fleshy fins with only one bone per fin.
>>
>>2295143
It rots and fouls the water, and has a tendency to grow fungus.
>>
I've got an invert aquarium, and I got a question.

I went to the local river and got some slate, the problem is that once it dried I noticed that there are shiny parts on it, I've been getting mixed results on if it's safe or not so I'd figure I'd ask here.

Is it safe to use?
>>
Anybody own corals? I used to be had to move so I gave them away. Might do it again with a small tank so if I decide to move, I can take them with me without that much problems.
>>
I am going to try aquascaping and I want to do a mountain theme. Right now I have this type of gravel:
http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/decor-gravel/top-fin-polished-premium-aquarium-gravel-zid36-17610/cat-36-catid-300014?var_id=36-17610

I want to collect river rocks from around here, including black basalt. For aesthetics, should I mix some black gravel in or leave it with the natural stones and incorporate the darker stones with some brown stones? I am looking to save money and don't want to buy all new gravel, but I don't want a shit looking tank.

http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/gravel-sand/national-geographic-trade-aquarium-substrate-zid36-21326/cat-36-catid-300072?var_id=36-21326
>>
>>2295346
Sorry, I should have checked the other store, they have grey gravel. I don't think the warm brown and the cool grey would work well though:
http://mrpets.ca/aquatics/marina-gravel-grey-tone-on-tone-44lb.html
>>
>>2295330
Yes but they all died. Only aiptasia now
>>
>>2294220
senegal bichirs are true aquarium killers that snatches tank mates one by one.

i had one with a purple wolf, zebra knife, clown knife and black ghost. they were ALL THE SAME SIZE in a 210G.

day 1: black ghost is dead. okay i think it's the clown knife

day 2: zebra knife is dead. okay it's definitely the clown knife

day 3: purple wolf is dead. fuck i loved that fish

day 4: clown knife is dead. what the

day 5: smug senagal birchir by himself (sexed him with his anal fin)

i would only get him in species only tanks they are killers. even if you get a sexed pair bichirs don't breed easily in captivity like even breeders are known to inject them with hormones to get them to breed.

cool looking fish, but man they are so predatory, it looks like an innocent toy dragon or something but fuck they are unsuspectingly dangerous and you should think DEEP and HARD about putting one in your tank
>>
does anyone here have experience with fancy goldfish? I'm trying to start a fishless cycle atm
>>
>>2295404
>fish mless cycle
Kek. The memes are strong here still.
>>
>>2295362
Odd. They aren't known for this behavior and as they get older they get lazier. They're generally gentle fish that are practically blind. Kept mine for years in a community tank of non aggressive fish. Also why are you keeping so many knife fish? It is advised against and clown knifes get fuck huge. Even too big for that tank.
>>
File: image.jpg (205KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205KB, 1080x1080px
>>2295362
>>
>>2295346
I don't think it'll look good if you mix black gravel in with the brown stuff. Also bote that the black gravel sold at PetSmart is painted black and sealed with epoxy, giving it an unnatural (imo) glossy finish that can flake off over time.
If you have a hammer, a disposable towel, and young bones, you can crush the basalt into small pieces.
Mixing the colors may work if you make a hollow area to put the mountain into and have the black gravel form a perimeter around the foot of the mountain.

>>2295404
I have a friend who kept them.
What did you want to know? And what size tank do you have?
>>
>>2294595
Thanks for the pencilfish rec, I was kind of on the fence about them because all I was seeing when googled were tetras.

I saw some really qt pencils on aquabid,

>>2294632
Dude thank you, good rec's as well didn't think too hard about danios because of size, if I can find nice enough looking ones, I'd probably have to get them. Like the CPDs, exactly the level of neat-ness in a fish I was looking for.

I'll try the trimming out, I kind of like it untrimmed though so it'll be hard to drum up the initiative

now i don't wanna fuck w tetras anymore
>>
>>2295404
Yes, I reccomend fish of the non-disabled variety.
>>
Boys, I'm starting to breed some c. panda. i just love those little fuckers.

i was thinking about putting 1f/3m into a 5g tank and simulate dry and wet seasons until they mate. the ones i have are about 9 months old.

any advise?
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 800x494px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 800x494px
>>2295427
Emerald dwarf rasbora
>>
File: image.jpg (366KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366KB, 1024x768px
>>2295427
Barbus fasciolatus
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>2295427
Barbus candens

Small barbs r 2 qt
>>
>>2295420
>the black gravel sold at PetSmart is painted black and sealed with epoxy, giving it an unnatural (imo) glossy finish that can flake off over time.

Thank you so much Anon. I don't want a glossy unnatural look. I didn't even think of that.

>If you have a hammer, a disposable towel, and young bones, you can crush the basalt into small pieces.

Young bones not so much, but I can definitely break up the basalt/other rocks and mix it in. I watched an aquascaping video which done that and I didn't even think to do that to mine. (lol?)

Thank you so much. You saved me a lot of hassle.
>>
File: theregulator.jpg (126KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
theregulator.jpg
126KB, 2000x1333px
>>2295547
>>2295542
>>2295544
What a qt little group! I'm definitely going to need to take a little time to figure out what sort of fish I want now. Would the two barbs you posted group together or do they have to be the exact same fish?

Luckily the rams seem to be a lot less shy now, so I don't feel as much urgency on finding a dither, so I can reeeeeally take time to find a good fish.
>>
>>2295484
>boys
>>
I'm trying to find something that would be able to live with my mated pair of ocellaris clownfish in a 80 gallon tank.

They seem to bully everything and get really agressive when someone comes near their PVC pipe

The only thing they don't seem to nip or try to chase are my peppermint shrimp and the hermit crabs
>>
>>2295561
>>2295561
As weird as it may seem, I've heard glofish branded gravel is legitimately fantastic at not leeching color or scratching/flaking and their black is a nice deep real black. Otherwise go for a naturally black gravel.
>>
File: snakeskin-02.jpg (60KB, 585x400px) Image search: [Google]
snakeskin-02.jpg
60KB, 585x400px
>>2295547
Snakeskin barbs, too.
>>
File: 20170110_174053-3984x2241.jpg (1MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
20170110_174053-3984x2241.jpg
1MB, 3984x2241px
>Arrival estimated in 1 to 2 business weeks
> Shows up 2 days later after 1 business day
I thought I would have time to research and make a plan. Now I feel rushed for no good reason.
>>
File: image.png (73KB, 201x226px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
73KB, 201x226px
>>2295627
>>
>>2295671
I had one of these. Lols like you have the model with the new light. The old one would fuck off for no reason.
>>
>>2295680
Looks. God damn auto correct. Gonna blow my Brian's out
>>
>>2295671
>>2295680
The light and lid on the new tank are nicer, but I think I prefer the old fogged glass look for the rear over the "delivery van window screening."

>Now I feel rushed for no good reason.
Lol, you don't have to set it up right away just because you have it, but I know the feeling.
If nothing else, you can just run it empty with some fish food or a tiny piece of frozen seafood to get a head start on cycling.
>>
>>2295362
I had one in a tank of south American cichlids (some very large) and this fucker killed the entire tank and also ate all the snails.
>>
File: eel_snowflake1.jpg (41KB, 375x300px) Image search: [Google]
eel_snowflake1.jpg
41KB, 375x300px
Saw this eel at my local fish store. I think it would be perfect for my 55 gallon tank except i only have fresh water running.

Anyone have success with keeping saltwater moray eels in freshwater? I might go back and buy it,
>>
File: 1484098667461399839316.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1484098667461399839316.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
Anyone know anything about moonlight and/or snakeskin gouramis? I just added one of each to my 75 gallon community tank. Any quirks about them that I should know about? My snakeskin is less than 2 inches and the moonlight is about 3. How big do they get?

I was dumbfounded when I noticed that the moonlight kind of looks like a stretched out skirt tetra. Even better was when my school of glofish started trying to school with it. Apparently they had the same idea as me.
Pic is my angelfish doing God's work, nomming snail eggs! Not related, but it was doing it while I was typing. . .
>>
FUCK YOU WHOEVER MAKES THE THREADS TOO SOON, I HAVE LIKE 3 POSTS IN THE LAST ONE CAUSE EVERYONE LEFT

FUK U

my fry are doing fine by the way
>>
>>2295736
Don't post after 310 m80 or link em here
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 312x238px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 312x238px
>>2295736
Don't you have a bumble bee cat?
>>
File: muh tank.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
muh tank.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2295754
Yes

1 microglanis ihegiri or something like that
the fry are in the tupperware bin at the top, speaking of which i have a question. There is this nasty brown stuff im guessing poop and extra food that id like to vacuum out for them, but they are so small im scared they could not stay out of the vacuum any ideas?
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
>>2295700
I know this is bait, but at least try anon
>>
>>2295759
Spoon it out or use a turkey baster or syringe. When you release them make sure they're big enough that the uhlee ass goof catfish won't eat them.
>>
File: 91S9eKF7JML._SL1500_.jpg (305KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91S9eKF7JML._SL1500_.jpg
305KB, 1500x1500px
Absolute newfag here. Want to get my first aquarium.
What I'm planning:
>3 gallon tank pic related
>cold freshwater
What fish besides goldfish and beta can I get?
I'd like to have as many fish as possible, yet i'd like the fish to feel comfortable with that space.
>>
File: c26-B000NL8QX4-1-l.jpg (42KB, 700x514px) Image search: [Google]
c26-B000NL8QX4-1-l.jpg
42KB, 700x514px
>>2295869
>fish that feel comfortable with 3 gal
yeah, here's your options
>>
>>2295877
Very valuable advice.
Whats the minimal tank volume then?
>>
>>2295878
5 gal for a single betta

for a community tank you'd be better off aiming for at least 15. it's easier to maintain water quality in bigger tanks anyway
>>
>>2295869
Go larger rather than smaller if you are a newbro, it's easier to control the water chemistry.
>>
File: image.jpg (131KB, 1440x1105px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131KB, 1440x1105px
>>2295869
>>
>>2295869
>3 gallon tank pic related
>cold freshwater
Very few options, and fewer that would be easy to keep. Small killis or endlers would work, but only two fish, and even then it would be cramped.

>goldfish
Goldfish get huge and they're filthy. Terrible choice for small tanks to begin with.

>I'd like to have as many fish as possible
That's not a great mentality to come into this. More fish means it's harder to balance stressors and make sure everything is compatible, and it makes the tank higher maintenance because of the extra waste.

>>2295878
>Whats the minimal tank volume then?
A 5 gallon betta tank is a good way to get started. Pretty much anything between 2 and 10 gallons ends up costing the same if you have access to a big box store, so you might as well go for the 10 gallon.

If you really want to keep it unheated, there are a few options for a 10 gallons tank and you could keep 3-6 fish with relatively little regular maintenance.

Alternatively, you stick to the unheated three gallon and get shrimp instead of fish. You could keep 20+ shrimp in a tank that size.
>>
>>2295880
>>2295884
>>2295906
Ok I see the small tanks are bad. I still want it to be cold water because the heater will be costly.
How about this:
>cold freshwater
>15-20 gallons tank
> 6 Peppered Cory
Then either
>10 zebrafish danio
minnows
Or
>10 White Cloud Mountain minnows
>filter, light, substrate, plants and rocks, etc.

From what I've read the peppered corys are peaceful bottom dwellers so they can take up the lower part of the tank.
Both options of minnow are described as peaceful and 15-20 should be good for them, I just don't which one is easier to keep.
>>
>>2295416
I like the fat dark blue one. It looks so out of place.
>>
File: a.jpg (741KB, 2030x1542px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
741KB, 2030x1542px
1 year progress
>>
File: b2.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
b2.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
>>2295938
cycled & first stock / plants added
>>
File: b4.jpg (1MB, 2365x1837px) Image search: [Google]
b4.jpg
1MB, 2365x1837px
>>2295939
A few months in, made some changes to plants / rescape
>>
File: c.jpg (2MB, 2521x2000px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
2MB, 2521x2000px
>>2295941
lots of growth / moss
>>
File: z.jpg (3MB, 3462x2643px) Image search: [Google]
z.jpg
3MB, 3462x2643px
>>2295944

most recent pic

tank has now been established for about a year

trying to work out where i can put a 2nd tank
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>don't keep Africans in a small tank they said
>they are very specific about their water quality they said

Why is the fish industry so full of memes?
>>
>>2295949
Nice picture faggot

But I agree.
Kept a piranha in a 25G for 9 years and every forum said it wouldn't last 2 in such a small tank.
Take anything "experts" say with a pinch of salt.
>>
>>2295949
>>2295981
>refused a molly at a LFS because my tank was 15 gallons and not the 'recommended' 25-30 gallons
who comes up with this shit?
>>
>>2295929
He is. It's a wolf fish with bichirs. Who does he think he is?
>>
>>2295945
How long did it take for your crypts to hit that size?
>>
>>2295949
>>2295981
If you truly don't care about your fish then kill them and take your tank outside and smash it because you're too cheap or poor to able to afford even a 55 gallon. African cucklids are meme tier fish anyway.
>>
>>2295949
>>2295981
>I am too poor to properly house an animal but want it anyway
That's all I'm getting from this. You're like those moms who buy vases and put goldfish in them.
>>
>>2295992
I got the crypt about 6 months ago, its in a small terracotta pot that i jammed into the gravel and it has been growing like crazy.

I put a few drops of liquid fertilizer every morning, apart from that its just gravel base no other ferts or root tabs.
>>
File: z2.jpg (2MB, 2940x1960px) Image search: [Google]
z2.jpg
2MB, 2940x1960px
>>2296001
>>
>>2296001
Had mine for almost a year with good lights, liquid ferts, co2, and sand but still barely growing. Fuck I just want nice crypts. I have about 20.
>>
File: image.png (696KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
696KB, 750x1334px
>>2295981
This you?
>>
>>2295993
>buy thus far relatively undescribed fish from breeder
>be at forefront of development for fishkeeping practices for the species
>memetier

Kek, better stick to goldfish kid
>>
>>2296008
African cichlids are memes m8. All they have going for them is some colors. And that edgy aggression.
>>
>>2296006
I mean they've grown from about leaves the size of a pinky nail to about 2.5 inches.
>>
>>2296011
>buy ornamental tropical fish
>"ehhh, the colours aren't too important"

As I said, goldfish. The edgy temper is literally a non-issue, you keep them in all African tanks.
>>
>>2296016
All other tropical fish are fine. Just Africans cichlids should all be used as food.
>>
>>2296018
They might make good baitfish with there nice colors:
>>
>>2296007
>Living in detroit
>>
>>2296052
The Detroit Craigslist covers 3 counties. While I live in one of the top 10 whitest towns in the USA.
>>
>>2296052
I don't think anyone "lives" in Detroit, as much as "survives" in Detroit.
>>
How much does a nice CO2 system cost? I was hoping to get something put together for $150-200.
>>
>>2296011
>>2296016
African cichlids are cool if you get into the individual species and know what you're doing, but if you have an "assorted African cichlid aggressive community tank," then you're just keeping platies for fuckboys.
>>
>>2296157
This
>>
File: 20170105_215229.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170105_215229.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2295829
He's got a big mouth so they will need to be sizeable before I can out them in but the turkey baster idea is great thanks!

Also I have noticed a significant decrease in anchor worms on my corys, only 1 cory has them bad and he seemed to have them at the start too, I'm really dissapointed how long this product is taking to work, and will continue dosing till I see no more. I even gave the fuck a bath in PP and worms did not die, maybe my concentration was to low, I did use distilled water.
>>
>>2295869
Honestly m8 in new to tanks too but it's funny, the bigger the tank the easier it is to care for, I'd get a 20 gallon long.
>>
>>2295919
I have white clouds love em, especially when the males start fronting each other and making themselves look big
>>
>>2296096
Fluval 88g c02 kit on amazon $75 ish bucks

Buy the adapter you will see in the bought with section for larger c02 tanks $15 dollars

You can now use paintball c02 tanks for your c02 setup and refills are about 3 dollars depending on where you go.

Enjoy
>>
>>2296183
Are they easy to take care?

Do they breed a lot by themselves? I dont want them to breed like crazy and crowd the tank.
They are peaceful right, I wouldn't want them to attack corys
>>
So I took in all the contents of a friend's aquarium and within a little over a month, everything but one loach died. I tested the water before I moved them in and everything seemed fine except the water was a little hard. Virtually no ammonia, 29 gallon tall, one 10g top fin internal filter and one biowheel penguin 150. I've had a single pictus that has been a resident for 3 years prior. I did the slow transition over about 20 minutes. The temperature is kept around 76-78f. I have no idea about their previous condition except that that never received a water change and the filter was rarely ever cleaned.

Two bronze corys died first, one day after the other. Next was the lone guppy, followed by the two neon tetras and finally, I found the poor betta with all of his fins eaten off still kicking it at the bottom.

I was told to bring the water in to a pet store for testing, will they do anything besides test for shit I already tested (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, hardness)? Does anyone have any ideas what could have killed them? Could hardness alone destroy a tank (roughly 60ppm general hardness)? My theory right now is my pictus killed every one of them, either directly or indirectly, as before moving they were all living fine in their previous tank for a few months with the occasional deaths here and there. I didn't notice any disease or parasite, none of the fish seemed bloated or white.
>>
>>2296208
Did you friend take bad care of them? Like never changing water and what not?
>>
>>2295919
A 20 gallon tank with 6 peppered cories and 10 white clouds would be a very good starter aquarium. If you want a large-ish group of zebra danios, I'd say it would be okay in a 20 gallon long aquarium (30" x 12" x 12"), but that a 20 gallon high tank (24" x 12" x 16") may feel a bit cramped to them.
Those fish can tolerate short periods down to about 65F or slightly lower, but should be maintained between 68 and 78F normally.

Both white clouds and zebra danios are pretty bulletproof fish. The danios would be the more "aggressive" of the two, but it generally only shows up as them chasing each other and some occasional nipped fins.

>>2296205
Danios and white clouds are both egg layers, so even if they spawned, it's unlikely any of the eggs or fry would remain uneaten long enough that you'll see many juveniles.
>>
>>2296215
Thanks a lot.
>>
>>2295993
>using this many buzzwords
wew lad
>>
File: CRS.jpg (261KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
CRS.jpg
261KB, 800x600px
I know anything bigger than a neon tetra would eat shrimp, but has anyone else risked it?

I'm planning to buy some Red Bees, would micro rasboras fit?

5 Gallon planted tank btw.
>>
Anyone have experience building an acrylic tank? Any tips or advice going in?
>>
>>2296210
Yes, but the survivors lived for months like that.
>>
>>2296235
That's probably why. They got so acclimated to the shit conditions that the shock of the better conditions may have eventually killed them. The pictus is suspect though.
>>
>>2296226
>two buzzwords
Cucklids isn't a buzzword. I haven't even seen it used beside jus cuck itself.
>>
>>2296018
>>2296019
t. poor water quality shitters

>>2296157
Yes, I have had a couple of species tanks, and would only compile a community tank from species I know, obviously?
A random cichlid tank that you just pointed at some shit in the LFS will never work long term, so I am not sure why you would even think that exists?
>>
>>2294220
Just stopping by to say that bichirs are some cool ass motherfuckers. Definitely an under rated pet. I need to build a dedicated tank for one.
>>
>>2296222
No problem.

>>2296227
Are you trying to preserve the babies, or just concerned about the adults? Pretty much any fish besides otocinclus could potentially eat baby shrimp, but micro rasboras (Boraras, Microdevario, Sundadanio, etc.), the three dwarf cories, and threadfin rainbowfish are all considered to be "generally" shrimp safe.

For the record, any kind of danio, tetra, or badis are going to be a lot more predatory than those mentioned, despite their small size.
>>
>>2296275
Well that sure makes me feel shitty. Here I was thinking I was saving them but I was actually condemning them. Is the horse faced loach just hardier to the change then?
>>
>>2296281
>so I am not sure why you would even think that exists?
Because that's what the majority of people who walk into a fish store asking for "African cichlids" end up trying to do, regardless of whether or not it works out in the long term. It's also obviously what the other anons are talking about re: (you), and I don't blame them, considering you grouped dozens/hundreds of very different fish all together as "Africans," the picture you posted doesn't have any identifiable fish in it, and you have what appears to be purple waffle in a fish tank.

If you want to sound smart then stop talking like self-important, dumb newbie.
>>
File: day 11.jpg (944KB, 3774x1364px) Image search: [Google]
day 11.jpg
944KB, 3774x1364px
>>2291205
Day 11 update: dwarf sag and hairgrass are regressing, crypts are showing new growth, and the other plants are more or less stable.
Added Staurogyne repens and Lobelia cardinalis.

Had some mold on the wood for a while, but I misted with Excel and vented the tank several times a day for a couple days and got rid of it. Added an electronic fogger, a fan, and a humidity gauge. Aiming for 85-90% to avoid more mold.

>>2291214
>I will be following this so be sure to post updates please!
I'll try to keep it at least semi-regular, but I'm not terribly reliable about that sort of thing and I don't want to try and make this board my personal blog.
>>
>>2296328
Oh, and I added the Anubias as well.
>>
>>2294339
Don't cory's eat cherry shrimp nymphs?

Is that the reason why you have them?
>>
>>2296328
>2017
>still doing freshwater
>>
SO I called all of my local fish stores and none of them will take my fish babies. What can i do that wont fuck them and I wont have to keep them in my tank.

anyone want albino corys babies for free?
>>
>>2296334
>2017
>Keeping meme plant animals
>>
>>2296336
They won't even take them as donations?

You can try putting a listing on Craigslist etc.
>>
>>2296328
Nice looking tank. What livestock are you planning on? I'm about to start a planted 5 gallon and did a bit of research on dry starting. Supposedly dwarf hair grass is difficult to grow with it compared to things like baby tears or monte carlo.
>>
>>2296407
>Nice looking tank
I'm sorry but it's comments like this that are making /an/ complete shit. How is that a nice tank? Explain it to me, because it's not. It's a freshwater tank for crying out loud
>>
>>2296336
Send em my way m80.
>>
>>2296426
Irony.
>>
>>2296426
this
saying freshwater tanks are nice is like going up to someone who drives a hyundai and saying "wow dude man such a cool ride bro! so jealous man!!!"
i'm sure people do do this but there is not an ounce of truth to it
>>
>>2296426
>>2296430
>current year
>giving yourself a (you)
>>
>>2296430
Same. It's likes going up to someone and saying wow nice saltwater tank that looks exactly like every salt water tank in existence. Impossible to find a unique saltwater tank that isn't the same fish caught with cyanide and shitty corals.
>>
File: osprey-with-bass.jpg (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
osprey-with-bass.jpg
77KB, 640x480px
>>2296426
Jealous that your saltwater tank turned out to be an ugly algae grower? Yeah, that tank looks better than a lot of saltwater tanks and it doesn't even have water yet.
>>
File: uh no?.jpg (38KB, 309x103px) Image search: [Google]
uh no?.jpg
38KB, 309x103px
>>2296431
hard to imagine more than 1 person thinks freshwater tanks are shit huh, face it they are a dank meme of the past and if you're not doing saltwater reef then you don't know ANYTHING about the aquarium hobby, like you're just an 8 year old with a goldfish bowl basically
>>
>>2296432
>>2296436
saltwater reefs are truly majestic natural living gem that replicates the wonders of the world right at your home. freshwater? dude you and i both take shits in freshwater. you're adding yard trimmings to your tank and calling it "art", give me a break fags
>>
>>2296437
Ehh saltwater tanks never look nice. They always look like clown puke and even worse when it's just a fowlr.
>>
File: NotRealProof.png (21KB, 704x256px) Image search: [Google]
NotRealProof.png
21KB, 704x256px
>>2296437
>>2296440
>Posting fake "proof"
You are truly pathetic, failing in imagination and soul.
>>
>>2296440
You should feel bad about your bait.
>>
>>2296441
>hating on color
>what is autism

>>2296443
nice photoshop faggot

>>2296447
what bait? i graduated from freshwater when i was 12. i haven't looked back because it's fucking boring and not challenging enough. even a stupid kid (like you!) could take care of a freshwater tank, it's just not fun
>>
File: baby_snake_deadpan.jpg (12KB, 400x277px) Image search: [Google]
baby_snake_deadpan.jpg
12KB, 400x277px
>>2296426
Kys

This is an anonymous forum community based around aquariums, and that anon commenting that he feels the other anons tank is nice, is not only contributing to the conversation and cohesion of our small group, but also encouraging someone else in the hobby, how dare you shoot them down over something so petty. Shoo!
>>
>>2296449
No ones hating on color. Just your shit tier bait bro.
>>
>>2296450
I think he's mad because his saltwater tanks keep failing.
>>
>>2296449
>photoshop
We know both know how the image was made and we both know it wasn't Photoshop. Stop pretending after getting caught after your cheap trick and go back to looking at your tan colored tank
>>
>>2296450
>cohesion of our small group
>muh online community
>encouraging someone else in the hobby

you clearly live in a retarded echo chamber where people are not allowed to criticize when it's clearly warranted.

if anyone should die off, it's people like you - the real cancer prohibiting growth of people's consciousness
>>
>>2296457
I think it's because he can't make his mom orgasm.
>>
>>2296457
M8 it's just b8 can't even r8 it 8/8
>>
File: IMG_20170107_135322~01~01.jpg (178KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170107_135322~01~01.jpg
178KB, 1024x768px
Nice to see everyone getting along.

>>2296407
Stocking is:
1x Pantodon bucholzi (African butterfly fish)
2x Mikrogeophagus altispinosus (Bolivian ram cichlid)
5x Synodontis lucipinnis (“Dwarf petricola”)
6x Puntius titteya (Cherry barb)
12x Rasbora heteromorpha (Harlequin rasbora)
1x Ancistrus sp. (Bristlenose pleco)
8x Corydoras sterbai (Sterba's cories)

Those are the fish I have already, though new additions will probably just be more of the same. My fish are either in my old 40 breeder or in isolation right now.

I read about method a lot, but not so much individual plant species. If the sag and hairgrass die out I might look for Monte Carlo, but there's nowhere in town that sells it and I don't want to drive thirty minutes for a plant.

Post your 5 gallon when you get it set up.
>>
>>2296452
what bait? why do you think literally millions of people are into saltwater aquariums over freshwater ones? i'm sure there are people who never graduate from high school, like i'm sure they do exist but it doesn't mean they're in the right. when you grow up, come and join us

www.reefcentral.com

>>2296457
yeah you attached (You)s on your screen where it didn't exist and named the file NotRealProof.png. what is your point, retard?
>>
>>2296463
>millions
M8 your b8 is -8/8

Most saltwater tank keepers though have a very very difficult time keeping live stock alive and constantly have to buy new accessories as they're made to last month at most.
>>
>>2296323
>tiggered by someone using the words "African Cichlids" to describe a group of fish
>can't speak english properly
>implying there is something wrong with my memewaffle
>>
>>2296466
saltwater live stock are no more difficult to care for than freshwater ones if you know what you are doing. also yes i admit saltwater people are gadget geeks so they do like to upgrade constantly, but it doesn't mean there is no durability. in fact, most quality saltwater equipment will hold its value for years, such as ecotech marine and aqua illumination
>>
>>2296404
they will not, they say they're "adoption tanks" are full

>>2296427
if you pay for the shipping I will, they will need about 1 month before they are big enough, otherwise idk what to do with them, i was going to keep a couple but the rest... I was thinking about releasing them in a bayou in the back of my neighborhood?
>>
>>2296470
My gun vs your saltwater baby first tank.
>>
File: t3_4t96sy.jpg (54KB, 721x528px) Image search: [Google]
t3_4t96sy.jpg
54KB, 721x528px
>>2296459
His criticism was unfounded and it's clear more people agree that it looks good, so he's in the minority, also I am not against CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, he wasn't even criticizing the tank he was bitching about someones comment and his only negative thing is that the tank was freshwater, completely absurd. People consider what species they want to care for and that, to me, is the determining factor when deciding what kind of aquarium you would like, however for beginners like me, its recommended to stick to freshwater as it is easier and requires less maintenance/effort and there is more to fuck up. But that fact does not in anyway inherently make saltwater tanks "superior" just different. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder yatta yatta...
>>
>>2296489
*less to fuck up
>>
>>2296468
>is unwilling or unable to identify their own fish
>can't read English past a 3rd grade level
>"the fish store said this plant was fully aquatic!"

Your turn.
>>
File: download.png (5KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
5KB, 205x246px
>>2296489
>>
>>2296495
Your bait is still bad mate.
>>
>>2296470
Europe everyone. "muh cuntry da bes cuntry cuz muh cuntry sed so" brain dead idiots.
>>
Brackish fish > marine fish.
>>
>>2296494
>giving specifics instead of general statements when no one asked
>"self-important, dumb newbie" ???
>implying Silver Waffe cannot be happy in a fish tank
>implying I have to stick to the norm when persuing my hobby

Disgusting, why don't you go out and buy some more Goldfish tm. products?
>>
File: discusvskillifish.png (2MB, 1948x1044px) Image search: [Google]
discusvskillifish.png
2MB, 1948x1044px
I have an empty 70 gallon tank
What size sump is appropriate?
Also discus or killifish?
>>
>>2296512
You don't have to stick to anything. But eventually it will slowly die and fuck your parameters. I got sold some Mundo grass (I believe it was called that) and did fine for a bit then eventually slowly rotted.
>>
>>2296470
>saltwater live stock are no more difficult to care for than freshwater ones if you know what you are doing
That isn't true at all. Maybe if you're talking the generic hardy fish of both types, but saltwater has WAY WAY WAY more really delicate/impossible to keep species.
>>
File: aquarium.jpg (105KB, 1080x673px) Image search: [Google]
aquarium.jpg
105KB, 1080x673px
>>2296007
why is it that every aquarium shitter only fills the tank 50-80% with water to make the conditions for the improperly housed fish even worse? No matter where I look, germany, usa, they all do it the same.

Haven't posted in a while, here's my current 15gal
>>
>>2296449
>keeping a fishtank because it's "challenging"
I think the only challenge here is that you're mentally challenged
>>
>>2296525
I swap it out, I have 2 and I let them prosper in a semi-aquatic spot and change em up to avoid death/excess decay.
They look so nice that I can't help it.
>>
>>2296540
>terrestrial plants are totally fine in aquariums!
>as long as you take them out after a while
>African cichlids are totally fine in small tanks!

Kek.
>>
>>2296555
>getting upset over how other people set up their tanks

So now I am not allowed African's or semi-aquatic plants? Or are you just triggered that I choose to keep what you don't have the imagination to?
>>
>>2296563
Not him but you are clearly here to ruffle some feathers, maybe you are just ila without a trip, who knows.

I too think it all depends on tank size, maintenance, filtration and especially the species temperament. I don't know which exact species you got but if it is a small mbuna, you might even get away with it in a 20gal. That being said, there is a line between "Things that work for you if specific conditions are met" and "Putting a Dovii into a 10 gallon and seeing what happens" if you catch my drift.

As for the terrestrial plants: There is plenty easy to keep aquatic ones, often looking very similiar to their purely terrestrial cousins. So if perhaps you got some good photos of the plants, I could point you to ones that are cheap and easy to keep and not setup for failure, fouling your water parameters.
>>
>>2296563
>>2296566
Also to add, many plants kept in the hobby are semi-aquatic, coming from swamps or floodzones, which enables them to grow emersed or submersed. The real problem is plants that are purely terrestrial.
>>
>>2296567
Semi-aquatic plants still require spells outside of the aquarium in order to thrive, emulating their natural environment.
This is my tactic with my semi-aquatics at least, seems to work some.

I didn't even come to ruffle, just to drop an image of my new setup and laugh at the misconceptions/generalisations floating around the hobby at the moment, this is my first time posting, but I doubt I will stick around if keeping cichlids triggers people so hard.
>>
>>2296570
In terms of semi aquatics it heavily depends on the species. Many are utilized in aquascapes, with No emersed growth to speak of.

I do concurr though, that a combination of submersed and emersed growth with certain plants amplifies growth exponentially because it can draw on atmospheric co2 instead of solely relying on lower levels in the water (if no co2 is injected) though, depending on how you setup the tank, emersed growth cannot be achieved with all plants.
>>
>>2296440
freshwater is much prettier and so are the fish
>>
>>2296540
That's all good then.
>>
>>2296528
Usually because most of them has one of those shitty internal filters and they tend to fill it as high as the filter is or simply lazy/don't want to waste water when they have to clean out the shitty water constantly because of a shitty improper filter
>>
>>2296570
That's fine. If you truly believe the advice of a chain store employee than a seasoned expert gives you then that's fine.
>>
File: 450px-Spongillidae.edge.jpg (37KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
450px-Spongillidae.edge.jpg
37KB, 450x338px
Anyone here grow spongilla or know a good source? I got some from a scientific supply company and it was two little depressing pieces.
>>
>>2295700
>be me
>have a 180 african cichlid tank
>also have a 10 year old cousin who loves fish
>it's christmas eve of 2014
>cousin and aunt show up at my door with a fimbriated moray eel (Gymnothorax fimbriatus )
>about to explain it won't survive in my tank
>look at the 10 year old's doe eyes waiting for me to put it in my tank and jump for joy
>cave in
>acclimate the moray eel to tank temperature by floating the bag
>act like nothing is fine and thank them for the gift
>waiting for them to leave so i can return it to the store
>they're not getting up from the couch and clearly want to see me put the moray eel in the tank
>aunt even asks for a refill of coffee
>okay.jpg
>act like i am texting but research the shit out of google
>find out some african cichlids come from brackish water
>okay maybe i can pull this off
>an hour later the cut bag open
>see the moray eel rushing into the rockscape
>the 10 year old cousin is delirious
>they stare at the tank for 5 more minutes and leave
>peek out the window to make sure they are gone for good
>rush to my car and drive 90km in a 40km limit school district
>go to the fish store and buy a tub of marine salt
>set up a diy auto top off to slow trickle salt water into the tank
>don't see the eel for a week
>the salinity level reads 1.015
>try to feed the eel sliced fish filet from the market
>still don't see the eel
>the rocks in my tank are impossible to examine inside
>maybeitsdead.png
>another week goes by
>notice the tank looks a bit empty
>my favorite electric yellow cichlid is gone
>still don't see the eel
>slowly but surely most of the fish from the tank disappears
>only a few demasoni, a couple of bumblebees and red zebra remains
>hear the tank splashing in the middle of the night
>turn on the light
>see a really fat moray eel hunting down the fish

if you're serious turn the tank into brackish then slowly into saltwater. forget about keeping any fish in there if they are piscivores
>>
>>2296563
Not triggered at all. Just pointing out that you sound like an attention whoring jackass.

>Look at me! I'm so smart! I know lots of things that you don't know because you're stupid
>But I won't tell you what they are

If that's going to be your attitude, then we're suffering no loss if you decide to leave this board. We have enough jackasses here already.
This isn't /b/. We don't appreciate that shit.

If you want to engage in levelheaded and in-depth conversation, you're welcome to stay.
>>
>>2296710
I would have pulled out the gun I hide under my tank.
>>
>>2296710
Do you still have the eel?
>>
>>2296516
Killifish are qter.
>>
>>2296516
I've seen people use anything from a 20 long to a 55 gallon tank as a sump for 75 gallons. It depends on how much you want to do with it.
Keep in mind that even a large canister filter for a tank that size isn't going to have much more than a liter of bio media and some sponges.

Also killifish 100%. Do you have some species in mind?
>>
Why do saltwater aquarist insist on destroying ecosystems? They still use cyanide to catch fish in corals.
>>
>>2296516
is this a real choice? right is wayyy better, where can i get killifish like this? are they saltwater exclusive? spoon feed me! yum!
>>
My 55 gallon is cycling. Should I add a harem of Aulonocara hueseri, or a genus tank of Aulonocara males?
>>
>>2296750
Hell yeah, fucking 'murrica.
>>
>have tank
>have native catfish
>have native trout

>want more trout
>want eel
>want to add crayfish
>want to add pickerel
>kinda want one of everything

>nothing will probably coexist
>dont want to upset my one trout friend

maybe il set up a second smaller tank and transfer over my trout friend and one or two catfish and try adding other shit to my big tank to see how they do

il probably add an eel a small pickerel, and another trout and maybe a crayfish or two, and il see what kills what then figure out what il do from there
oh well im irresponsable and cant make up my mind

il also need to get a better lid if im adding an eel becuase i had a friend keep some for bait and they crawled out of his tank and dissapeared
>>
Same anon from the last two threads who was looking for betta tankmates. I got some neon tetras about two weeks ago. Half of them died the day I got them, but I'm thinking that had more to do with petco's fish quality than anything I did. They're doing great; they're very active and fun to watch, and they're getting along great with my betta. Should I worry too much about what i'm feeding the neon tetras, though? I'm giving them betta food mixed with tropical fish flakes currently.
>>
So long m8s. It has been good. Selling off all my tanks, fish, and plants. Wife and I couldn't work things out and bout to be homeless (funny how things work out especially if you buy everything and it's in your name and they have a ton of family they could stay with and mine are 2,000 miles away) If you're in Michigan let me know and I'll give you some stuff.
>>
>>2297051
It's largely the same stuff. Compare the ingredients.

Did you return the dead ones to Petco?
>>
>>2297051
dont ever buy fish from large chain stores again anon, for your own good
>>
File: 8593082759_65a0981217_b.jpg (320KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
8593082759_65a0981217_b.jpg
320KB, 1024x768px
>>2297027
The top one is Austrolebias nigripinnis. I couldn't find the bottom one, but it looks like another annual species.
Annual killies usually only live 6-18 months, and breeding annual killies is kind of complicated. Female killifish are almost always very dull and the males are usually too aggressive to have very many together.
You can buy dessicated annual killifish eggs online.

"Perennial" killifish like Fundulopanchax species are fairly easy to find, straightforward to breed, and live 2-4 years.
>>
>>2297073
God that's awful, where are you going? Any beloved fish someone here might be able to foster for you?
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 499x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 499x667px
>finally watch Blackfish

>agree that Seaworld is incompetent for not assuming any risk when working with multi-ton predators in close quarters
>believe animals can be "happy" in captivity though

Why did the movie imply I was either a free the animals nut, or thought killer whales were cuddly?
Can I not just say that they are the top of a food chain and able to lash out without much warning, and that I would like to see more funds put towards more elaborate/larger enclosures?

Anyone else know this feel?
Just thought I would ask itt as you have a foot in both worlds so to speak, we obviously believe we can provide animals with pleasant lives in captivity, but you don't see me
doing tricks with scorpion fish.
>>
File: 1484253623440.jpg (55KB, 708x708px) Image search: [Google]
1484253623440.jpg
55KB, 708x708px
I got up to check my tank this morning since I did a rebuild and transferred all my fish and turtle and the goddamn bala jumped out. Why oh why did I buy those fucking things....
>>
File: 4bb0c95f85839.jpg (73KB, 670x449px) Image search: [Google]
4bb0c95f85839.jpg
73KB, 670x449px
>>2296315
I don't care about shrimp fries, as long as the adults don't get eaten. Got one small Java moss ball just in case, though.

Since Galaxy Microrasboras are actually Danios, are they also more aggresive? I already ordered four.
>>
>>2294220
Other than aquabid and pet solutions, what do people use to order online?
>>
>>2297226
Also, does anyone have suggestions on decent fake plants? Hard to find anything that isn't cheesy and turtle will destroy any real plants except bamboo but I switched to sand and bamboo will not do.
>>
>>2294916
I like ghost shrimp
>>
>>2297230
Liveaquaria is another one and imperialtropicals has high quality fish
>>
>>2297107
Unfortunately, there aren't any good local petstores near me. I went to at least 5 stores and they all seemed pretty shit. I live in a relatively rural area, so even chain pet stores are pretty far away. I won't be going to that particular store again, but my other options aren't much better.

>>2297096
Should I have? I don't really want three more fish that would end up dying the same way. The employees were incompetent and difficult tolerate anyway, I'll just go somewhere else.
>>
>go to lfs
>owner gone for vacation
>edgy kid who owns nothing but predatory fish
>ignores betta
>water turns green and lots of food on bottom
>betta dies before I leave
This is the best fish store in the area and dude can easily get some of the rarest fish in the hobby but has friends that beg to help and hard for him to say no.
>>
>>2295307
But that fungus is the natural diet of the suckerfish of the amazon that everybody likes.
>>
>>2296897
What if you breed the corals that still exist in captivity?
Or collect them yourself, as responsibly as you can.

Like when I harvest mandrake, I always replant a piece of the root, insuring that it continues it's gebnetic legacy of being such a good looking thing that I had to pursue it all that way.
>>
>>2294869
I've never had a pet store do that!
>>
>>2294918
Sorry britfag, but you can't get floridian ghost scramps.
>>
>>2295124
You didn't grow up there, I saw so many flea markets selling baby moniter lizards to people with a ten gallon tank and 80 bucks and a promise that "They'll grow to the cage"
>>
File: fluval190.jpg (31KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
fluval190.jpg
31KB, 480x640px
**Pls help I'm shit**

So /aq/, would anyone here know if a Fluval 190 would be a good tank for two yellow bellied turtles? A second hand tank came up near me and I have been needing to upgrade and this would be much much cheaper than buying brand new. Any help is appreciated
>>
>>2295599
Yeah they're gonna fuck soon, he just had to get over how mannish she looked to him.
Whatever you choose must be able to hoild it's own or they WILL attack any interlopers now that the courtship has begun.

They're like tiny aztecs.
>>
>>2295759
Bury an iron nail under your bacopa.
She's the goddess of knowledge you know, right?
>>
>>2296440
I've made food with my frhwater tanks before. I can grow alzheimers medication in my freshwater aquarium, and so can most planted tanks. I can grow vegetables in them too.

Saltwater can just grow semi-lethal neurotoxins.
You can't even trust your aquariums algae because everything comes from ciguatera infested fiji- water.
>>
>>2297286
I think it's big enough for two adult YBS, especially if you have males. Most sliders prefer shallow and wide tanks, though. Pic related looks a bit deep and I think they'd be happier in a tank with less depth and more floor space. I mean, it'd be fine, but there's much better options. Nice looking tank, though.
>>
>>2297292
Talking bout that Brahmi huh
Love that plant
>>
File: cs-yellowbelly.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cs-yellowbelly.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>>2297298
Ah right ta, I think it's one male and one female. I think I'd heard that actually but I'm just wondering about this one bc it's only £150. I found a new longer tank which would probably be better for £80 but then I'd need to buy all the filters and stuff.
Any idea what that might come to?
>>
This woman came to my work saying her ghost shrimp have been alive for 6 years
idk
>>
>>2297332
Save yourself a ton of trouble and get a filter rated at 1.5 to 2x the bioload/size of your turtle tank. It sounds disgusting but I can let my canister go for 6 months and still not have any filtration problems and crystal clear water. I also have Cory cats and a pleco to pick up debris but you may or may not have casualties.
>>
>>2297332
I recall being told it's a good idea to get an overpowered filter or multiple filters for a turtle. Like, instead of a 20 gallon filter for a 20 gallon tank, try and get a 30-40 gallon filter. I didn't own one for very long, but I can tell you when I had a hatchling in a 20g long the cage was filthy as hell in about two weeks. I'm not really an aquarium person, so hopefully somebody else can help you. I can tell you it won't be cheap, though.
>>
File: yellow4.jpg (124KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
yellow4.jpg
124KB, 768x768px
>>2297338
>>2297336
Ta lads, would it be over £100 for the filter would you say?
>>
>>2297340
https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PC-ML360-Multi-stage-Canister-100-Gallon/dp/B001LUKN0K?th=1

I got mine on sale at a lfs for $130. Shop around. You might also want to ditch the rubber hose and hard plumb that shit with pvc and valves for convenience.
>>
>>2297345
Ta lads I'll have a look, I think I found a 300l for £110
>>
How much benefit would I get from over filtering a tank?
Ex. Using a 50 gallon filter on a 30 tank
>>
>>2297363
Saves you the trouble of cleaning it out less often. Tank doesn't get nearly as dirty and you can harbor a lot more beneficial bacteria that prevents ammonia build up. I also wouldn't even bother with power filters, I prefer canisters. My tank never stayed clean with power filters.
>>
>>2297268
>Should I have?
I would have at least gotten a refund, if for no other reason than to ensure the store isn't profiting off of selling dying fish.

If they were cheap and the store is far away I wouldn't bother, though. Also, most stores won't do anything unless you have bodies to give them.
>>
>>2295599
The angle on that picture makes it look like the ram has Cordyceps.
Took me a moment to realize what was going on.

>>2297282
I've seen it a couple of times and read other people's experiences, but I'll admit it's uncommon to say the least.

>>2297285
Yeah, it's pretty shitty. People still do that [illegally] with turtles throughout the country. It did at least seem to become less popular with iguanas.
>>
Have some questions, would appreciate answer.

Set up a 5 gallon rcs tank.
>the 6 shrimp are very lethargic and I hardly see them eat
>water should be fine
>the temperature is a constant 74 is this too cold? Should I bump it up?
>>
>>2297387
>water should be fine
Check the water with a test swab or kit if you haven't yet. They're really sensitive to ammonia. They'll even try to jump out of the tank if it gets really bad.

>the temperature is a constant 74 is this too cold? Should I bump it up?
That's fine. 72-82F

>the 6 shrimp are very lethargic and I hardly see them eat
Mine are always zooming around. Do you have live plants in there?
>>
>>2297292
>>2297331
>Bacopa monnieri
Would growing it submersed vs emersed affect the medical value at all?

Also all I can ever find is useless caroliniana.

>>2297334
I think most customers have very bad senses of time. She probably just feels like it's been "forever" and says "five years." Or she's lying.
Even for me, I have to try and remember specific events around the time I bought something to confidently say how long I've had an animal. I do have eight Amano shrimp that I know are at least 2.5 years old because I've had them since before I moved into my current house.

>>2297363
IME, a bit, but not a whole lot. Unless the tank is very badly overstocked, a decent 30 gallon filter has more than enough biomedia to keep the ammonia and nitrite at zero already. Adding more biomedia without adding more bioload isn't going to make a difference besides possibly making the tank slightly more resistant to crashing, and a larger filter isn't going to do anything for nitrates.

Having a higher flow rate and a larger area for mechanical filtration will help prevent mulm buildup, so there's that.
>>
>>2297390
Okay I'll check it when I get home.
And the tank is heavily planted.
The reason I ask about the temp is because I did a water change with some warmer water and it bumped up to 80 and suddenly they were really active and eating
>>
File: sun.png (442KB, 1080x1559px) Image search: [Google]
sun.png
442KB, 1080x1559px
>>2297340
SunSun makes good, cheap canister filters. You can find them on eBay. This one is rated for up to 150 gallons (~120 imperial gallons I think).
>>
>>2297280
That's a what they need to do. Instead the fish collectors couldn't give less of a shit of the corals they kill while catching the fish.
>>
>>2297395
Shit boy look hard enough and you can find them for $70-75. Got mine brand new for $73 with free shipping
>>
>>2297406
Was it the 525gph model and was it available on a British website?
Everything aquaria gets more expensive the moment you leave the states for some reason.
>>
>>2297393

Their metabolism is affected by the temperature, if you want to bump it up a little it's probably fine. I was only saying you're in the temp safe zone for those guys.

Also, I really like the black and chocolate ones. They seem to tend to do very well, be very active and I like their color contrast in planted aquariums.
>>
>>2297232
I use a combination of some of those silk/plastic plants used for reptile hides and dollar/craft store silk plants in my tank. They're a bit sturdier than fake decor for fish since they're meant for reptiles because the turtle will attempt to eat them. Dollar/craft stores are also very sturdy but some have wires that will rust if in the water so either find some without or remove them.
>>
>>2297413
Probably because America and China are in bed together.
>>
I bought some water sprites a while back but they've all pretty much died. I'm not sure why but I figured it might be because I have a high pH (8.2) cause of the naturally hard water in my area. I got an RO filter for christmas and was thinking about gradually lowering the pH. I like water sprites and so far the only plant that has really flourished in my tank are my amazon swords.

Is that stupid or is it worth it
They might've died for other reasons, I don't know
Do you think my platies and amano shrimp will mind if I do it really gradually?
It's a 20 gal with CO2 and ferts
I just want more plants
>>
>>2297229
My galaxies didn't really make a noticeable dent in my cherries. Although I witnessed the occasional nip. It probably gets worse the more you have as they can group together
>>
File: 20170113_175354-1.jpg (3MB, 1897x2635px) Image search: [Google]
20170113_175354-1.jpg
3MB, 1897x2635px
Rate my new tank.
>>
>>2297501
You're water isn't much harder than mine. Mine is 8 and everything grows just fine. I have crypts, Amazon sword, aponogeton, dwarf lily, s. repens, lidwiga repens, a. reineckii, two types of Java fern, and some type of aquatic onion I forget the name of. Seems Sprite likes softer waters though.
>>
>>2297541
Neat betta tank/10
>>
reccomend me some nice black sands for my new 40 gal long high tech
>>
>>2297581
too much vertical room for a beta
>>
>>2297541
What are those dimensions? Odd shape.
>>
>>2297541
15 gallon column? That would be your first mistake.

Get some rocks from a home improvement store and a couple of long manzanita branches from a pet store or bridal supply store. Tie things like moss, anubias, and java fern to the wood.

I'd also recommend putting an air stone near the bottom or trying to get an extension for the filter intake to promote better flow through the tank.
>>
>>2297589
Get some blasting sand
>>
>>2297594
Maybe if you're autistic and get anything but a plakat
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 480x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 480x650px
>have strong desire for more tanks
>unable to afford larger living area

What do I do lads? Is it worth getting meme dimension tanks to keep various species in?
I have a community and a few species tanks already, anyone have experience with custom built odd-shaped tanks?
Water quality would be okay even in small tanks, I know what I am doing, but any ideas/suggestions for maintenance? Also, for an extra deep tank (like 6 foot deep) would I be better served running a vertical reef setup (varying light/water movement levels), or trying to meme it with lights along the sides of the tank? Which is easier to maintain/setup in your experience?
>>
>>2297589
Fluorite black sand is the only "sand" I know of that's made for plant growth, though there's ADA Amazonia powder type if you want a soil type substrate and don't mind spending a bundle.

Blasting sand is cheap, but it's pretty sharp, so I wouldn't recommend bottom dwellers with it.

CaribSea and National Geographic have some basic black sands that are a bit more expensive, but they're soft enough for bottom dwellers.
>>
>>2297602
>unable to afford larger living area
>6 foot deep tank

The fuck kind of situation are you in?
>>
I have what I hope are pretty straightforward questions for you, /aq/.

>Can I keep two different tetra groups together without issue? I'm thinking rummynoses and neons.

>Is it feasible to keep a well-planted tank at 117% stock with diligent care?

I just want some small schooling fish to brighten it up a bit. Right now I have a single female betta and a mystery snail in a 20gal.
>>
>>2297617
>Can I keep two different tetra groups together without issue?
Yes, as long as you have adequate numbers of each. A school of neons and a school of rummynose would be a but cramped in a 20 high IMO. If it's a 20 long it would be a lot better.

>Is it feasible to keep a well-planted tank at 117% stock with diligent care?
117% according to what? Aqadvisor? For sure, it wouldn't even be difficult.
>>
>>2297638
Yeah, it's a 20 long. Aqadvisor put me at 117% stock load with 8 of each.. I wouldn't really want to go any lower than that for schools.
>>
>>2297638
is it just me or does aqadvisor have rediculous rates
pretty sure 5 fish at 5-6 inches in a 50 long with sutable filtration isnt even fully stocked
not to mention extra aeration , water changes weekly, etc
>>
>>2294220
Would be a bad Idea to let feeder black worms burrow around in the substrate?
>>
>>2297654
Well i does say 1 cherry shrimp in my 37 gallon is 16% stocking, so I would take it with a grain of salt
>>
>>2297662
its also telling me that my fish will get to 20 inches long
average average ive seen around these parts ( native fishes) is about 6-7 inches
ive seen one 15 but thats out of the ordinary

couldnt even imagine them at 20 inchs
>>
>>2297665
I don't see your point. Wild fish die young and reproduce frequently in a lot of species that are capable of living significantly longer in captivity. In the wild most cardinal tetras die after year but can live 3 years in captivity.
>>
>>2297671
im just saying it seems a bit inacurate
>>
>>2297641
Go for it. Aqadvisor is more for newbies who don't know what they're doing and need a huge buffer to make sure they don't fuck anything up. As long as you keep an eye for possible aggression or stress, test the water occasionally, and do regular water changes, you'll be fine.
>>
>>2297665
>>2297672
It's hard to comment without knowing what fish you're talking about.
>>
File: 010.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
>>2297672
Yeah, it sounds like a record size that they took as the species adult size, still I've seen people seriously underestimate the max size of native fish based on what they hook. Pumpkinseed sunfish being the ones I've seen underestimated a few times.
>>
So idk what to do with all my cory baby's so I had an idea, I will let them get a bit bigger and let them all in the tank, big enough where only the bumblebee could eat them. Only the strong shall win
>>
>>2297611
>lots of liquid cash
>unstable work
>not enough liquid cash to move out of home for good

It's pretty fucked.
>>
File: image.jpg (559KB, 1849x1901px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
559KB, 1849x1901px
>>2297680
>>
>>2297720
That's a longear sunfish, not a pumpkinseed as in the other pic
>>
>>2297602
>Being a fish hoarder
Is that a young Tasteless?
>>
How in the hell do you guys find decent fish stores? I can't find any fish stores near me at all, let alone good ones. I don't really want to have to pay out the ass to order fish that'll actually live online.
>>
>>2297725
It's a hybrid
>>
>>2297885
Where do you live?
>>
>>2297589
black diamond blasting sand, very cheap and I haven't had any issues with scratches. Just make sure you rinse it like any sand.
>>
>>2296685
this , want to know!
>>
>>2297391
The stuff that matters is light warmth and more iron in my experience with brahmi.
I used to gather the feral shit from a pond in florida for the nice old lady next door. You can tell it's quality from it's smell, and you have to fry it to use it right, or tincture it.
The best parts will be coming from the bottom to the top; Brahmi loves bottom heat in an aquarium. You can buy a potted one too, and convert it to submersed gradually. It's known to improve memory for everyone, so I used it when I smoked up and stared at fish.

But vegetables that can be grown are really interesting. Like mint grows so well if you let it splay out of the tank.
>>
>>2297901
Central florida, about an hour north of tampa.
>>
>>2297223
Animals can totally be happy in captivity, just not intelligent, multi ton animals that form large family groups in the wild, and spend their lives traveling the entire globe.
>>
File: 1.jpg (39KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
39KB, 852x480px
>>2297936

Glad I'm not the only one.

Seems you can poach them up in Maine and they like cold water. Would rather some captive grown ones.
>>
>>2297977
>not traveling a bit south and taking many of the aquarium released fish out of the lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams
>>
File: P1080811.jpg (95KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
P1080811.jpg
95KB, 640x480px
>>2297602
Stack'em up.
>>
>>2297581
Yeah its for a betta, I have a clown pleco in there too.

>>2297596
15 column

>>2297597
I got it because it looked nice, also thanks for the advicr, I had a feeling there was too much free space. I'll get some java moss on a branch and repost when it grows a little
>>
>>2297602
There's some light that can cut through 10 or 8 feet of water with no problem. I forgot the name but I'll look into it. They aren't expensive either.
>>
>>2298051
That tank doesn't really seem appropriate for a clown pleco.
>>
New thread

>>2298291

>>2298291

>>2298291
>>
>>2298051
The clown pleco is going to need some kind of wood anyway. I'd only suggest a betta if it's a plakat or a female.

Also, reiterating about flow to the bottom. My friend had a tank that tall and galaxies of bacteria blooms and fungus started growing all along the bottom of the tank.

>>2298140
The pleco certainly wouldnt have been my first choice, but I don't see it causing any real issues. It's not going to absolutely require a whole lot of back and forth swimming space, and it'll climb up the walls of the tank without issue.
>>
>>2297543
I have s. repens too and they have also failed to thrive, although not to the extent of the water sprites :/
I'm scared to try buying other plants if they're just gonna die
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.