[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kicking your dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1333.jpg (20KB, 267x188px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1333.jpg
20KB, 267x188px
Hey /an/, I just met a guy with the most well-trained dog ever, it would never bark and followed his every command. He told me his secret was kicking the dog when training him, do you think its justified or is it animal cruelty?
>>
no I don't think so, I mean I wouldn't personally kick my doggo but it's not the worst thing in the world, if animals communicate with one another and set boundries physically why can't humans do it too
>>
All training is animal cruelty. This man did nothing wrong.
>>
What do you mean by kicking? Like, a real painful kick or just a little soft kick?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fIjYnPazc
>>
>>2293457
I kick my dog when he starts acting crazy and jumping. He fucking knows I hate when he jumps up.
But never in a painful way, I would never hurt him. Just a light kick enough to move him back so he knows.
>>
>>2293457
It's not justified, but it's not animal cruelty either. It's just a method that works
>>
>>2293569
As long as it's not beating/abuse
>>
Can dogs even tell the difference between your hands and feet? Isn't it all the same shit to them?

What's the difference between a light kick and hitting him on the nose with a newspaper or something?
>>
>>2293793
I doubt they think of it as different. It is a negative consequence to an action they did either way. A light kick might be easier because you don't have to reach for the newspaper and (depending on the size of the dog) lean down to reach the dog.
>>
Not OP, but I'm surprised that this many people aren't demonizing the owner. People on this board make it seem like dogs will crumble over the emotional stress of the most minor physical punishment.
>>
>>2293911
>A fucking kick
>Minor

What I'm surprised by is the fact that most people in this thread seem to think lightly brushing something with your foot counts as a kick.
>>
>>2293925
awww wat's the matter wittle baby? can't handle the truth?
>>
Is he talking about full on, full force kicks or more along the lines of shoves and enough force to maybe move it?
>>
Animals are fucking automata and hurting them is not immoral whatsoever.
>>
If I did that to my dog, there's a 50/50 chance he'd come up the leash and do me a good mauling.
>>
Depends. I hit/kicked my dog as a puppy when she seriously fucked up (pissing on furniture, taking a snap when someone tried to take a toy from her, chewing on power cords, etc).
Not enough to do lasting damage, just enough for her to let her know she fucked up bad. She ended up being the best dog I ever had. Physical punishment has its place in training.
>>
Making your dog fear you instead of it wanting to do behaviors by its own volition is something I don't agreed with.
I don't understand why people have such a boner for this type of power role over their dogs.
I don't have much sympathy for people who hit their dogs to make them behave, its so much easier to be proactive with positive reinforcement and negative punishment.
>>
>>2293457
While people frown upon physically reprimanding anything nowadays, I have been told by trainers to never HIT a dog, because they will then associate that action and will dodge your hand when you reach them/their collar. Kicking at least won't train that reaction.
>>
>>2294063
>>2293980
>>2293925
>>2293911
>>2293793
>>2293569
>>2293461
>>2293457

How do you feel about physical prompts for especially stubborn breeds who generally don't care about pleasing the owner or take to training? Do you think that some breeds react better to a light "hey, pay attention!" swat than others that have higher trainability? Is that a context where it might be viable?
>>
>>2294250
I feel like a breed like that would be even more prone to the issue of dodging hands. However, I'm fine with an e-collar in that case.
>>
>>2294063
This.

Also, a lot of people don't take into account that an individual dog's temperament has a big hereditary component. Some dogs, regardless of breed, are naturally more pliable and obedient. When a dog misbehaves, it's because it doesn't understand yet why that behavior is bad. If you take the physical punishment route and the dog accepts it submissively, then the dog is already obedient enough that positive methods would have worked just fine.

Basically if the dog lets you hit it, it didn't need to be hit in the first place. However, it's more psychologically satisfying for a frustrated owner to hit the dog to get immediate results then to put the effort in and learn how to train actually train the dog.

I say this because 1) my dog came from a situation where she was 'alpha rolled' and smacked during training, and as a result she was extremely hand-shy. 2) As a result I took her to multiple trainers (one of which was an old-school positive-negative reinforcement type) and all three told me the same thing-- hitting or kicking the dog at all during training sabotages the whole experience. If the dog still is obedient afterwards it's because the dog is naturally submissive enough to tolerate that bullshit, and not because the owner is a dog training genius.
>>
>>2294250
I think the first step in that instance is to try strengthening the bond with the dog. I'd recommend more walks, more play time, and a lot more love. This alone may cure the issue in those breeds. (They get testy if bored.) When the bond is strong, leading the dog to the offense once you see it and delivering a simple, but loud, shout 'Don't do this!' with obviously displeased body language is enough. If the bond is strong, the dog will be upset that it displeased its owner. The old fashion rolled up newspaper is used because the dog does not associate any body part with punishment as well as you are less likely to hurt your animal. I only recommend physical discipline if an action is endangering the animal or others, basically a last resort. Peeing on the carpet does really endanger people or dogs for example. I mean, it depends on what you are trying to train it not to do. There's other forms of negative punishment such as isolation from the owner and so forth. Also, if an animal is not neutered or spayed, it's really silly to get mad at them for peeing inside/making their mark. Spay or neuter them. Dogs are different then cats in that if you show them their offense and yell at them, they can actually put two and two together. Never actually hit and/or kick your dog.
>>
>>2294407
does not endanger* oops.
>>
>>2294028
Is it a Pitbull?
>>
>>2294063
pussy cuck
>>
>>2294429
Nah. GSD. He'll retaliate if he thinks I'm correcting him unfairly.
>>
uhm, no but when my dog was a puppy, i'd bite his ears and the fatty part on the back of his neck to assert dominance. worked pretty fine, he's submissive.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.