[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting my own place, want to get a dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1469301269590.gif (2MB, 245x247px) Image search: [Google]
1469301269590.gif
2MB, 245x247px
Hey /an/, I don't normally frequent this board at all, so I'm sorry if there's a general about this sort of thing (though I didn't see one) but I'll get right to the point- I'm getting my own place in august with a couple of roommates, and I really want to get a dog. I discussed it with my roommates and they said that was fine, and that they'd even help take care of the little guy while I was at work. I trust these two people a lot so that's not part of my question- my question is what can I expect if I get a puppy? In terms of training, care, bills, etc. I know dogs are expensive to take care of so I figured on top of my typical 6 months expenses in my savings I'd wanna put some money away for an emergency vet visit (or two).

In terms of owning pets before, I've owned 2 cats and 1 dog- but we had the dog when I was very young so I didn't do much with her except feed her, let her outside, and occasionally get dragged around by her on a walk.

I dunno what kind of breed I want just yet- but I know I want something I can take hunting, hiking, camping, stuff like that. I don't want some badass guard dog monstrosity, just a medium sized work dog with a decent temperment. Does anyone have any ideas for breeds, and tips for said breeds? I'd really appreciate it. I want to be the best dog owner that I can be so I don't end up hurting/killing/having to give away the dog.
>>
>>2292652
take it to the vet
>>
>>2292655
I understand that you are memeing, but yes, I will take it to the vet
>>
If you get a puppy, it WILL occasionally piss in the floor, it's just what puppies do before they're trained. Keep those puppy pad things around and be prepared to spend some time house training it. Don't get mad when it happens, you don't want your dog to be afraid of you, just be patient and move it to the pad, and keep in crated or in a small room overnight with a pad.

The earlier you start training, the better the dog will behave as an adult.
>>
>>2292663
Thanks for the info- I remember my friend said something similar. How early can I get the little guy to go outside? Does it work just as well to move him to the yard if he pees on the floor, and have a pad in the crate at night? Will that send mixed messages?

Also, What do you guys think of an australian cattle dog? I know they nip a bit if you don't train them well because of their herding traits, but they seem like great dogs.
>>
>>2292664
Herding dogs are always going to be very high energy, so I would advise against it unless you have a lot of time for taking it for a walk.

Getting it outside can work, but for a really tiny puppy I wouldn't let it outside unsupervised, because they won't know to stay out of things, and can slip through holes in fences easier than large dogs.

You might want to look into a medium poodle, I hear that they are highly intelligent, but a lot more eager to please than other intelligent breeds, so they're easier to train.

Whippets or greyhounds may be another choice, you can go running with them, but from what I understand they're also really lazy and like to just lay around most of the day.
>>
>>2292667
I don't mind a high energy dog- I like walking around the city anyways, so I guess that wouldn't be an issue. Still, I'll also give poodles, whippets and greyhounds a look as well. Greyhounds always kind of struck me as neurotic, high strung dogs though.

As for the puppy being outside, I'll take your advice. If I let him or her out, I'll be sure to be outside as well.
>>
>>2292669
That Dogs 101 show had a lot of good things to say about medium poodles. They're smart, eager to please, relatively healthy, and you don't HAVE to give them a doofy haircut. I lot of people automatically disregard them because "hurr they look dumb" because of the traditional haircuts.
>>
>>2292670
Oh, that's a good point about the hair- I live in houston TX so I feel like a longer haired dog would be in absolute hell. Would a poodle's hair be too long or thick for that kind of weather? I go through 3 shirts a day when I'm at work because of how oppressively hot and humid it gets outside
>>
>>2292663
Just to iterate on this;

Don't puppy pad train ie teach the dog to piss specifically on pads. Use it like you would newspaper, put it down to make clean up easier. Pad training confuses dogs into thinking peeing inside is OK, peeing on soft things is good, etc. It can cause a lot of frustration for both of you.

The general rule of thumb for dogs is they can hold their bladder one hour for every month of age. So a 2 month old puppy will have to go out every 2 hours and so on. This ends around 8 to 10 months. You do want to try to get the pup outside to pee so it won't begin to think peeing indoors is acceptable, but it's just a puppy so it won't learn right away. Parvo and distemper is pretty prevalent in TX so I'd advise taking him out only in your yard or a place you know only vaccinated dogs go to until he's had his 1 year vaccine. By that time, assuming you are getting the vaccines on time, he will be able to get his rabies shot too. But I wouldn't be too worried about rabies, just make sure your pup doesn't come into contact with unknown animals and you should be fine.

>>2292672
Poodles can get their hair cut very short, which I'd recommend. I know people who keep Huskies in TX so don't feel too bad for a poodle.

I will highly encourage to do your research on a reputable breeder, like I said parvo and distemper is prevalent and unfortunately poodles are very popular and therefor many BYB bred them to shit. Look for a reputable breeder, no craigslist bullshit. Also beware of puppy mills
>>
>>2292694
Thank you for the advice.

Now, I work every day of the week- but like I said I'll have 2 roommates so if there isn't at least 1 person in the house, there will be very little time where all of us are absent.

How conscious should I be about making sure the puppy isn't alone? How much time is too much? I figured an hour or 2 each day is okay but not much more than that. I don't wanna make the thing live a lonely existence, especially when it's super young cause I figure that's when it's most impressionable and susceptible to mental issues or anxiety or something.

Also, how does a dog figure out who it's owner is, if it lives like this? I don't want to confuse it and make it think that one of my room mates is it's true owner or something on accident
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.