[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I trim cat claws?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Its been 3 weeks since I got this 13 week kitten (so now 16 wks) and I still don't know how to trim her claws.

She refuses to let me hold her paw for more than 3 seconds, no matter if she's active, sleepy, or whatever time of the day it is.

I don't want to accidentally cut too deep so she bleeds. I did that once with my rabbit and it was traumatic for both of us. Should I ask the vet I'm seeing tomorrow how to do it?

pic related is my cat.
>>
Get a scratching post and let her take care of it herself
>>
>>2291314
But I've heard you still have to trim claws, even with a regularly used scratchpost. Any merit to that?

How do you tell if the nail has grown too long?
>>
File: 980x.jpg (299KB, 980x1306px) Image search: [Google]
980x.jpg
299KB, 980x1306px
>>2291304
You'll have to train her to let you hold her paws first. Have her rest he paw in your hand first, then work up to massaging them so her claws come out, giving her treats any time she's cooperative.

It also helps if after that, you train her to accept sitting in your lap like pic related. It's a lot easier to get to their front claws while they're in that position.

Btw, she's cute, OP.
>>
>>2291326
Thanks. She lets me handle her paws when she's extremely sleepy, like at night, but it's pretty hard to trim her nails in the dark while she's on her side. She'll just start running around if I turn on the lights though.

Never seen her sitting in that position before, I'll try it in the morning.

Thing is, she seems to be indifferent about treats. Half the time she won't even touch it after sniffing it once. She apparently likes cooked fish though, but I'm not sure if feeding fish while she's so little is safe or not.
>>
>trimming cat claws

why?
>>
>>2291325
You don't HAVE too. Cats naturally shed the sheaths of their claws. But if you want that's fine too. Just keep doing what you are doing. Right now she is just a kitten. It could take weeks, even months for her to settle down long enough. Just don't force it.
>>
File: nailcipper1[1].jpg (15KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
nailcipper1[1].jpg
15KB, 350x350px
>>2291326
if this works do it.

if you have a stubborn cat its still possible. i use picture nail clipper. a regular clipper will work if you turn it perpendicular to the nail.

this has always worked for even mean cats but it might not get rave reviews. have a helper wrap him in a towel. have a bright light so you dont cut the quick and it bleeds. google what the quick looks like so you dont cut into it. take one paw out of the towel at a time and person holding cat in a towel pets it and tells it how amazing it is. clip one paw and then put that paw away and move to the next paw. Might have to do one paw and try a few days later for the next paw. or two paws and two paws. if he grows up to be more demanding most cats will just put their teeth on you as a warning. I would stop then and yelled no or bad. whatever. talk to your vet about medication so you can cut them. if its a tough cat you defiantly have to be dominate enough so he knows he can't escape. I would do it every few weeks because if you do it too little or too often they become more intolerant of the process.

you cut them because you care about furniture and clothes. also it helps if you have to give them medication.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.