[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 84

File: LeosClimbing.jpg (61KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
LeosClimbing.jpg
61KB, 480x720px
previous thread >>2278346

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal
>>
>>2278680
>>
>>2289962
>>2289962
Shit I meant to post my reply to that post
>>2289899
>>
File: GargClimbing.jpg (135KB, 339x509px) Image search: [Google]
GargClimbing.jpg
135KB, 339x509px
>>
File: Fish-scaledGecko.jpg (64KB, 500x318px) Image search: [Google]
Fish-scaledGecko.jpg
64KB, 500x318px
>>
File: Geckolepis Maculata.jpg (52KB, 740x555px) Image search: [Google]
Geckolepis Maculata.jpg
52KB, 740x555px
>>2289968

One more of the geckolepis maculata. These look so cool.
>>
File: calicomale14.jpg (101KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
calicomale14.jpg
101KB, 1024x683px
>>2289969
That face says "I bite fingers"
>>
How long would you give some heat tape to fully heat through about an inch of cypress mulch?
I have my thermostat set to 95, but I don't know if thats ever going to get through
>>
so i got this bad boy off craigslist for 40$ for all the crap(tank, stand, and everything inside) and im basically looking to convert it into a green anole tank with 3-5 anoles probably. after doing the math it's 44 gallons~ anyway, i've been poring over joshs frogs to figure out how to create a background for this tank(something i've always wanted to do) and i have a pretty good idea of where i'm going with it.

MY MAIN QUESTION, is how hard is it to live plant a tank? is it worth it? anyone have good recommendations for live plants if so? also as far as water features go, seems like anoles tend to just drink dew so i'll probably just manually mist 2-3 times a day, but having a shallow pool on the bottom with a small pump creating a waterfall, is something like that worth for anoles or should i just try to get a bowl of standing water on the bottom that's replaced regularly?

sorry for the long ass post, recommendations, examples, pics etc all welcome. thanks guys!
>>
My bearded dragon has been asleep in her cave for at least three weeks now. I'm sure this is brumation because I woke her up and she's not dead.

My question is when will she cut this shit out? I hate having to wake her everyday to make sure she's still alive.
>>
ok so im setting up a tub for my BP, and its holding humidity beautifully, and a little too well at that
I havent put her in yet, so would the fastest way to leech some of that out be to just leave the lid off for a while?
>>
How do i get into the underground illegal import scene? Want some rare stuff imported
>>
>>2290058
I don't keep substrate over heat tape that thick, and it doesn't technically matter if it ever does fully heat through the bedding. As long as the temperature below the bedding is at the proper hot spot level, all is good. The snake can burrow or move the bedding aside to get to the heat.

>>2290084
As long as there's no condensation it should be fine, but if there is the best way would be to increase ventilation slightly. If it's not on aspen already I'd try switching to that as well.
>>
>>2290069
Your best bet is too look up "self cleaning bio active terrarium" all the information you want will be there.
>>
>>2290069
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9yYrh1qZs8
>>
>>2290079

Don't wake your beardie up. Just keep temperatures stable and she will be fine.
>>
>>2290176
This is such a helpful video thank you anon
>>
>>2290159
I'm using cypress mulch, and I think I added a little to much water. its been airing out for the last 56 or so hours so it should be good to go now
last I checked the temp under the substrate was at 93 so that should be just about perfect
>>
File: IMG_0703.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0703.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
whats up with all the geckos and shit, doesn't anyone have snakes?
>>
Getting my first reptile later this month, gunna go for a beardie. Just started a wood roach colony.

I'm so fucken excited senpai
>>
>>2290362
why a beardie?
>>
>>2290363
They have a lot of character and are fairly low maintenance (as far as reptiles go). Am also Australian so it feels nice getting some native fauna.
>>
>>2290364
surprised the glorious state would let you own something like that
I like beardies but snakes are a lot less maintenance, I prob won't be getting another lizard.
>>
>>2290366
I considered snakes but i read that you don't really form a connection with them like you can with lizards.
Funny story, its actually too easy to get a reptile license overe here. I got mine as a surprise for Christmas.
>>
>>2290367
license?
jesus christ dude
I can own a pit viper here and all I have to do is make sure the tank is locked and says venomous
>>
>>2290368
The license is basically a revenue making thing. It comes with an upfront fee and creates fines for people with unlicensed reptiles. All about dat $$$$ senpai
>>
File: IMG_0705.jpg (188KB, 1089x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0705.jpg
188KB, 1089x1936px
>>2290369
why do you people put up with that shit?
I don't want to get all political but that's fucking insane
>>
>>2290370
The Gov doesnt give a flying fuck. I suppose there are arguments to be made about preventing mistreatment of animals and stuff, because you have to lodge a record of your herps to the state and they can send a bloke around to check on your setup/health of your herp, but its arguable how effective it is as a system
>>
File: IMG_0621.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0621.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>2290372
lmfao, if some gov faggot came into my house to "check how things were going" he would have 10 .556 holes in his chest.
You guys have awesome wildlife, but you all need to figure your shit out, that's ridiculous.
>>
>>2290373
Im with you on personal freedoms but that's a little edgy mate
>>
>>2290361
That's your job, anon. I've been posting geckos but I snakes too.
>>
>>2290374
It's not edgy, that's why I can have pit vipers and firearms in my house without paying a fee to the government to let them say I can own what I want on my own property.
>>2290377
I don't have any pics of my boas or balls, but they are normal so it's not really that special anyways
I love my tiger though
>>
>>2290380
Spin it how you like, its edgy to even suggest you'd shoot a government employed inspector visiting for a state sanctioned check up
>>
>>2290382
> its edgy to even suggest you'd shoot a government employed inspector visiting for a state sanctioned check up
Think about that statement for a bit and then you will come to the conclusion why you have to pay to own things on your own property
I'm not trying to blast you btw, I'm just saying
I love beardies though, they do have more character than snakes
My retic is really smart though, I can tell a difference in him and the others by a long shot. I would love to get a water monitor but they are just so hard to tame (if possible)
>>
>>2290384
I find it hilarious that you're insinuating people in your country can do those things because they shoot government officials. I'm assuming you're American, and I can assure you that isn't why you're allowed to do those things.

The only thing that will happen to you if you shoot a government official is jail time or death, plus a potential harder push to try to ban all our reptiles. But good luck with your fantasy world.
>>
>>2290503
He might be a larping faggot but youre a disgusting bootlicker
>>
>>2290602
Alright buddy, not sure what any of that's supposed to mean, but makes about as much sense as anything else you've said in this thread.
>>
Anyone know places where someone can sit my ball python. Might have to go on a business trip during may
>>
>>2290646
Its a snake. You can leave it alone for a few days
>>
>>2290646
I have one of those filtered waterbowls with a pump. It has a carbon filter. I used to leave my boa alone for a month. It's a snake.
>>
>>2290069
I've read Anoles need like a 12x12x12 area. They are very territorial. I had an 8x4x4 with three Anoles and they would always be bobbing at each other. I had lots of plants too. All measurements in feet.
>>
>>2290749
Anoles absolutely do not need 12 cubic feet of space
>>
>>2290749
>>2290764
Never understood the desire to own anoles
do you guys have Asian vines?
>>
>>2290836
theyre fun to watch and in my case a cheap arboreal reptile to start out with so i can learn to build vivariums and get a feel for more tropical herps
>>
File: 20161229_221321.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161229_221321.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>2290836
They are native to my area(louisiana) and I have an enclosure its on the small side but im still rebuilding from flooding in august so they will have to wait

Apologies if it comes out sideways or whatever other aids phoneposting gives
>>
>>2290858
That's a cute anole. Do you have a cricket colony for em?
>>
Hey guys, I feed my red tail boa an appropriate sized rat every week, and my friend also has a male that's from the same clutch, on the same feeding schedule, but his is a good bit larger than mine. Is this normal? Is there such a thing as a 'runt' of the litter for snakes? Just worried about my little guy. And yes he has healthy, regular poos, sheds great, never rejects food, and his terrarium is always clean with the perfect temp and humidity.
>>
>>2290980
He's probably overfeeding
Your snake is smaller but is probably going to live a lot longer
>>
>>2290866
I had crickets and dubias but they both got lost in the flood

Need to start them back up soon since Im tired of running to the petstore
>>
>>2290980
Yup, even when conservatively fed individuals in a single litter could be much smaller or much bigger than the other littermates eating exactly the same way.

But a rat every single week seems like a bit much, how big and old is the snake and what sort of rat is it getting?
>>
>>2291003
>>2291078
Thankyou, and even though I know you can feed them up to the size of their thickest point, but I always feed small because I kinda baby them and want to be as safe so my pets can be as healthy as possible, and since I feed him small rats even though he's big enough to eat big mediums/small larges, he gets one once a week.
>>
File: IMG_2231.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2231.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2291142
Well, I doubt they're so small that's necessary. I would go to 2-3 weeks if he's eating small rats.

This guy eats a small rat every 3 weeks, roughly 4' long. Could easily take a small medium rat, but a small rat every 3 weeks is plenty.

No boa over a year should be eating weekly, even if the meals are small-ish. Frequency is just as important as prey size, it takes time to digest even a small meal.
>>
File: no light pls.jpg (39KB, 493x397px) Image search: [Google]
no light pls.jpg
39KB, 493x397px
I want a LIST OF HERPS that doesn't require any lighting and heat lamps/UTH. Basically herps that doesn't drain your electricity bill.
>>
>>2291223
What's your climate and indoor temps like? Hot and humid all year-round? Dry cold only half the year?
>>
>>2290214
np. I'd like to see what it looks like when it's done!
>>
>>2291228
not sure about humidy, but i'm currently in the 11th floor of a condo in toronto. indoor temps with heater is around 70+ atm, I don't remember the summer.
>>
>>2291223
Even ones that do require hat and light won't drain your electricity bill...unless you have truly horrible wiring or something. I have 13 snakes, with 2 100 watt CHEs, 2 120 watt RHPs, 2 80 watt RHPs, 2 75 watt heat lamps, and 6 tubs on flexwatt. With them running PLUS 2 space heaters on 24/7, I go from maybe $120 to $170-180/month. That's including another space heater not in the snake rooms and the main heater also running. During the summer, without the space heaters, the heaters themselves add maybe $20 tops.
>>
>>2291248
Can you recommend a reputable thermostat? The possibilities of frying my snakes is the stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>2290079
Hibernation.

Leave her be and have plenty of food.
>>
>>2291142
I find a good rule of thumb is only fees them again after they poop
then you know they've digested all of it, and they're empty
>>
>>2291289
Different anon here but there are two main options for thermostats:

Cheap (still reliable), Hydrofarm or Jump Start plant bed thermostat sold on Amazon. I have been using these for several years now and never had one break on me. They're basic but they work.

Expensive, proportional thermostats made specifically for reptile use like the Herpstat line. These are fancier and programmable. Proportional means they throttle the amount of power going tp your heater in order to keep a more consistent temperature. The hydrofarm is an on/off style device that cuts power completely to the heater when it reaches a set temperature, then restores power when the temp drops two degrees.
>>
>>2291354
I'm using the Jump Start thermostat and it hasn't fucked up yet. They're cheap enough that you can buy two or three of em and put one each on a separate heat mat or segment of heat tape to prevent hot / cold spots.
>>
>>2291289
If money isn't an issue, Herpstats are my favorites and Vivarium Electronics are good second option. If you're tight on money, Hydrofarm/Jumpstarts are good, but I would suggest upgrading to a Herpstat or VE within a year or two as the Hydrofarms do not have fail safes like the other two I mentioned and are more prone to failures.

>>2291347
That really depends. If I was feeding my boas every time they pooped, my one female would be eating every 2 months as a baby and then every 2-3 weeks as a yearling, which is a tad too far spaced out. My adult boa would be eating every 1-2 weeks and that's far too often.

It's better to feed them on a schedule so you know they're not getting too little or too much.
>>
File: 20170103_021356.jpg (3MB, 3085x3189px) Image search: [Google]
20170103_021356.jpg
3MB, 3085x3189px
tfw the snake finds a good sitting spot and will sit there for hours if you let it.
>>
File: CYTqfUHUoAAvZWJ.jpg (344KB, 1024x1820px) Image search: [Google]
CYTqfUHUoAAvZWJ.jpg
344KB, 1024x1820px
>>2291397
My corn snake is full autism and won't sit still.
>>
>>2291397
I'm always afraid of letting any of my reptiles sit anywhere for extended periods of time because usually they take a shit. It's like they know that shitting outside their tank pisses off their owners.
>>
File: snek education.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
snek education.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
So what type of things do you teach your sneks?

My boa use to be potty trained or at least tries to get away from me if it has to take a dump, it's just up to me to recognize the signals.
>>
>>2291248
How about the heat bulb change which gets annoying? My zoo med infared heat bulb only lasted for 2 months.
>>
>>2291384
>>2291354
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/19065-vivarium-electronics-ve300-thermostat
This looks like a good one, I'm saving to buy one soon. Iv heard horror stories of frying snakes even with thermostats so the on/off ones are the safest, would you agree?
>>
>>2291289
I have the most basic one out of ebay for like 7 dollars and works exactly as it should. Thermostat is fairly simple structure. Not many things that could go wrong.
>>
Are labs objectively the best breed? I didn't want to get one at first because they're so popular but then I realized they're number one for a reason. It seems they can do just about anything any other breed can do just as well.
>>
>>2291645
Shit, disregard this.
>>
>>2291645
get a dobermann
>>
tell me /herp/ are any of the compact UVB bulbs any good?
I remember a while back about an issue where they possibly were causing eye damage in reptiles
has that been addressed or debunked at all?

I have a zoomed double dome, and would like to know if I can just stick a compact uvb in there before i commit to spending like 50 bucks on a uvb setup
>>
>>2291401

Cornsnakes have zero chill. My Noodle is just a few months old and he's constantly trying to run away and explore. Zero. Chill.

I want a comfy ball python to cuddle with after my Noodle is all grown up and I can afford a new place which would have room for two big terrariums.

Also, yours looks a bit overfed, I think.
>>
>>2291658

Those are fine now. The issue was with the lights putting out too much UV relative to visible light. This caused some eye damage to chameleons. It's no longer a problem. They're safe.
>>
>>2291747
thats good to know, all i gotta do then is get some stronger bulbs
I doubt a 13w uvb and a 75w heat bulb are gonna cut it in a 50gallon with 18 inches of height
>>
File: IMG_2492.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2492.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2291618
Yeah that's why I only have two heat lamps, it gets expensive buying them at $25 a pop every few months. I would switch to CHEs but I'm afraid of them overheating such small enclosures. They heat a little stronger than a regular bulb.

>>2291620
As long as the thermostat has a fail safe it should all be fine, whether pulse, dimming, or ON/OFF. Any time a thermostat with a fail safe detects a failure it will shut the thermostat off on the OFF setting. Pulse is sorta just like a rapid-fire ON/OFF.

I would say the brand and the options offered matter more than the setting does.

So I'm contributing, here is my new proven female jungle boa giving me a fresh shed just a week or two after arriving here. Now to work on getting her used to me, she's a little shy around me.
>>
Show your axolotls
>>
So, Im going to get a giant day gecko in a few weeks (2). These should be pretty easy to keep right? Im building him a 23x28x15 inches enclosure out of OSB and glass.
Are EXO TERRA Reptile UVB100 50W and EXO TERRA Intense Basking Spot 50W bulbs OK? Is there something I should be extra carefull about? Ive never had a lizard before.
>>
>>2291970
>never had a lizard before
>getting a giant day gecko

Welp.

Make sure you read the care guides. Make sure the heat gradient, temps and humidity are correct. Make sure you're feeding the correct things.
>>
my baby red tail has a weird bulging around his LEFT eye
like, noticeable difference between the two eyes, but I only noticed it 2 days ago
anyone have any ideas? blocked ducts or something?
>>2291755
nice boa

any retics in here?
>>
>>2291992
Sounds infected. take it to the vet
>>
File: IMG_2449.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2449.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2291992
Got any pics of the eye?

And thanks, she's a girthy girl, but I've got to get a length on her. She's 6'-7' at least but I don't think she's longer than 7'.

I do also have a retic, almost 2.5 years old and 7'-7.5'. She currently eats a colossal rat or xx-small rabbit every 2 weeks.
>>
What will happen to an (adult) pixie frog who is only fed mice? Will it die of poor nutrition? My brother has one and won't feed it anything other than mice even though I've tried to convince him they need a varied diet. Just wondering if I should let the issue go or buy other food for his frog for him so it doesn't die or get sick
>>
File: 20161230_102057.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161230_102057.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Doesn't really showcase his wonderful colors but I like the water and the angle.
>>
>>2292395
Nutritionally that should be alright. The problem is obesity.
>>
File: 20170105_131821.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170105_131821.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
How does /an/ like my setup? It's not entirely done yet, and I did sanitize the driftwood
>>
>>2292702
You should use a heatpad to make him a warm burrow instead of using a lamp.
Lamps dry everything out and really aren't that good for nocturnal snakes.
Do this and you won't ever have bad sheds and will have a lot less feeding problems
I like the aesthetics though
>>
>>2292722
I would use a heat pad but I have it on a wood TV stand right now and I'm scared of a fire (the pad I wanted warned about that)

>fuck the stupid fucking maximum file size
>>
>>2292734
Then move the enclosure
>>
>>2292736
I have nothing to move it too. I spray more often and it has coconut fiber in it so humidity is fine and I'm not worried about dryness, her sheds are fine. And when I can move it I will be getting a heat pad first thing
>>
File: 20170105_145932-3991x2993.jpg (2MB, 3991x2993px) Image search: [Google]
20170105_145932-3991x2993.jpg
2MB, 3991x2993px
>>2292739
>>2292734
>>2292702
Another angle
>>
>>2292734
>fuck the stupid fucking maximum file size

You can resize your images you know. 4000x3000 raw off the camera is not necessary.
>>
Should I be using a multivitamin or any supplementation on the rats I feed my boa?
Seems like there's no real consensus
>>
File: 20170105_193954.jpg (759KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170105_193954.jpg
759KB, 1920x1080px
>>2292802
Have an hd photo
>>
>>2292734
as long as you use a thermostat and your house doesnt drop past the low 60's it shouldnt heat up anywhere near enough to cause a fire.
>>
>>2292918
The tank is also lifted slightly so I'm sure I'm overreacting. I'll just buy a heat pad here within the next week or so.
>>
>>2292855
No...a rat has more than plenty of nutrition for your boa.
>>
>>2292977
That's about what I figured. Thanks pal
>>
Why don't leopard geckos like being with other ones? It's a shame because I feel bad for mine since he just sits there all day just staring out.

And is it normal for them to just kind of sit there or sleep all the time? He only really goes out when he has to poop and then he'll walk all around then.
>>
>>2293006
That's how reptiles and a lot of other animals are.
Doing anything besides eating and mating are just a waste of precious energy for them.
Usually if they have a full stomach the only moving around they do is to regulate their temperature.
>>
>>2293006
I've had 3 in the same tank for 5 months and they are fine, no fighting at all
>>2292702
mine is just a heat pad with carpet and a hide+tuperware dish with water
looks good man, but def get the heat pad
>>
File: IMG_3108.jpg (167KB, 1068x1039px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3108.jpg
167KB, 1068x1039px
I'm planning on getting a carpet python this monday. Any tips keepers can give me would be much appreciated. He or she is 1-2 years old and an iria jaya. Approximately 2 feet long. I have an enclosure set up for them all i need is some perches. I'm slightly nervous about it because i've only had experience with corns and balls and carpets have a reputation of being nippy
>>
>>2293176
Carpets can be nippy at a young age and it goes away with handling. I got one awhile back that was several years old and mean as hell so I ended up sending it back(was also looked a ton worse that what I thought I was getting)
Got a yearling after that and hes completely docile, never even struck at his food he just wanders up to it and starts gulping it down.
He does not sit still when out of his enclosure though, it is a constant hand treadmill or else hell wander up the closest high spot in the room
>>
>get q-tip to dry to wet some shed on beardies nose
>thinks its food
hold still you little shit

also I want to use slate for his substrate, any tips on the best place to get some?
Other substrate recommendations welcome
>>
>>2293460
I use paper towels / carpet
Much easier to clean, and he is fine
it's not like he needs much humidity
also keep all my snakes on it (all terrestrial)
>>
I have a eastern box turtle I keep in the backyard and its going to freeze pretty bad tonight so I bought him in.

I know this little faggot hasnt ate anything in 2 months, just how long can he do this hibernation shit without eatting anything?
>>
booo reptiles
>>
>>2293605
my reptile will fuck ur stupid mammal up
>>
>>2293460
Slate tile can be purchased at hardware/home renovation type stores.
>>
File: TinyGarter.jpg (270KB, 2357x1483px) Image search: [Google]
TinyGarter.jpg
270KB, 2357x1483px
>>
>>2294207
awe
>>
File: image.jpg (733KB, 2016x1134px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
733KB, 2016x1134px
Found in Sydney Botanic gardens. Went into the fern exhibit expecting to only find a few froggos, but was treated to a couple of water dragons. Very tame which is not surprising. This one was the larger of the two and was sitting on a rock right near one of the entrances, nobody else even noticed it. One woman who walked straight past it started getting excited when she saw a couple of fish in the water... kek
>>
Anyone ever ordered a cresty online before? Is it safe?
I'm doing some research myself on forums and such, but I would definitely check out any sites recommended by anons here.
>>
>>2294820
find a reputable breeder through kingsnake.com or fauna classifieds

fauna classifieds has a section called the Board of Inquiry where you can attempt to look up the seller to see if they've been doing shady stuff
>>
>>2294820
Further to what anon above wrote, the shipping process itself is safe so long as the breeder follows protocol for reptile shipping. The standard routine is to make sure the ship day will be within an acceptable temperature range then drop off gecko with courier in the evening to arrive at destination the following morning. I have done this many times without issue. Typically the gecko(s) spend no more than 18 hours total in their shipping container.
>>
File: 20170109_174653.jpg (232KB, 1031x773px) Image search: [Google]
20170109_174653.jpg
232KB, 1031x773px
What do you guys do for your herps that require more protein than the tiny crickets you buy at Petco/Petsmart?

I breed roaches.

Interested in seeing other peoples solutions and improving my own.
>>
File: 20170109_133845.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170109_133845.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Look at this poor fat ass red tail they're keeping at the community college

All its got for heat are two of those shitty heat rocks at either end of its enclosure
>>
File: 20170109_133850.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170109_133850.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>
>>2295206
And judging by the state of the scales it also has access to virtually no humidity. Are you able to address the poor husbandry of this snake? Contact the employee or student keeping the snake on the premises, or the dean, or someone like that?
>>
My green anole is fucking brown while basking.

>it's due to stress anon you're a shit owner

However when I spray his cage or annoy him he is instantly back to green. Wtf is he doing.
>>
hi i want to buy a cobra because the hood is very cool! i have always wanted one for a long time and the time is right because i gained some experience with corn snakes and comfortable with snake management now. anyone have a cobra too? i want the king cobra of course but i wwll get it later and buy a monacal instead, thanks
>>
>>2295344
lots of reptiles will darken to draw in more light/heat
it just so happens to look exactly like stress colors more often then not
>>
>>2295355
Find a mentor, put in the thousands of hours of training, and then get your cobra if you still feel like you need one in your life! Cobras and corn snakes are two wholly different animals, and your question is so absolutely absurd that I'm genuinely thinking you're trolling here.
>>
Getting myself a bearded dragon once I finish my cage. Will post pics in a few days. Excited as fuck. Besides the usual youtube tips and shit, what else to expect from these gentle beasties?
>>
>>2295194
dubai roaches sprinkled in a bit of calcium pretty much all you need.
>>
>>2295355
i don't even own snakes and i know 'you' shouldn't buy a cobra right now.
>>
>>2295263
I'm gonna try, its pretty bad
there were a couple enclosures next to it that i though were empty because it didnt look like they had any light or heat, but there was a king snake in each of them
>>
>>2295405
You really shouldn't do this alone.

My advice would be to contact two important people, the Dean who oversees the Biology Department or alternative the dude who is the "head" of that department.

As well you should contact a Dr. that specializes in reptiles. It's best if you find a Dr. because they have special status, so if it's just a dude with a doctorate in something close, that'd be best.

If these enclosures are actually in the science building then there most likely nothing that can be done unless you want to stir up massive controversy from media outlets and the ASPCA.
>>
>>2295431
thats the weird thing, they're not in the science building per se, but attached to the greenhouse
which i imagine is under the science buildings jurisdiction

it looks like in a past life the whole greenhouse area was pretty nice and used as an actual place to learn stuff. But the campus is in a seedier part of town and so it appears to have fallen into a bit of disrepair
>>
>>2295432
Most community colleges are in shit areas. Land is cheap.

It might just be as simple as no one "knows" because their care taker has gone elsewhere and no one has picked up the slack. Maybe no ones comfortable fucking with snakes.

Honestly, if you're alright with handling snakes, you could literally start fixing their shit as soon as tomorrow and I bet you no one would say or do anything. All really depends on how much money time and effort you're willing to put into it. You could come to the dean with a fundraiser plan. There probably is money somewhere to buy the cheapest heat sources available, but like I said it could be no one wants to fuck with the snakes.
>>
>>2295435
well someones gotta be doing it, look at how obese that red tail is. Someone has be feeding it like a whole rabbit on the weekly or something
>>
>>2295368
>>2295398
okay sorry you are right i shouldnt buy a cobra i will get a ball python instead then
>>
Is it wrong to want to sell one of your animals in order to get a new one? I've found out that my Blue-tongue skink isn't captive bred, and this fact combined with the fact that I adopted him as an adult means he is extremely unfriendly. Should I feel bad about wanting to "exchange" him for a CB juvenile?
>>
>>2295490
As long as you make sure he goes to someone who will take proper care of him no.
Especially if you were lied to about it being wild caught
>>
File: 20170111_122450.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170111_122450.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Is this rat too big for snek?
>>
>>2296150
I don't think so but if it was live, ask for the smallest possible one they have in the size you get. That's what my girlfriend does with her bp
>>
File: 1484190086391547233903.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1484190086391547233903.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Is the one on the left I'll? It's my girlfriends and she insists that it doesn't look skinny or sick and i do not know about them...though learning since she keeps them at my house...
>>
>>2296359
nah I've kept it on frozen up until now
>>
>>2296361
It does look skinny, lacks the classic beardie shape the one on the right has
>>
File: WIN_20161220_132259.jpg (57KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20161220_132259.jpg
57KB, 640x360px
What's up /herp/? I'm fairly new to keeping reptiles as pets. My friend lived with me for a few months and taught me a few basics after we got a King Snake. I managed to take care of it on my own for a month, but I didn't dare let the psycho out of her tank. Tried biting us every time.
Now, I want to get a ball python. Little dudes seem awesome, and yes, I know the little bastards live forever. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for a novice.

Pic related was our noodle
>>
>>2296361
It's problem is most likely that you are housing them together. Bearded dragons are not meant to be housed together as they are solitary animals. They seem to get along okay because they do encounter each other in the wild fairly often and are not usually overly aggressive because there is plenty of room to escape each other, this is not the case in captivity. The dragon on the right is obviously the more dominant one and will continue to be healthier because he will hog all the food, light, and heat, only allowing the smaller dragon to access resources it isn't interested in at the moment. That is best case scenario, worst case is eventually the dominant dragon will become aggressive and mangle or kill the smaller dragon. Your beardies do not like each other, and they will not be lonely if you do the right thing and separate each other. Even when they are cuddling, the top one is essentially making the other his bitch.
>>
File: IMG_20170104_171148.jpg (844KB, 2228x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170104_171148.jpg
844KB, 2228x3006px
>>2290361

Bought my wife a normal het clown BP. My Lavender Albino is at a friend's ATM until I pick her up.
>>
File: IMG_20170111_200047025_HDR.jpg (3MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170111_200047025_HDR.jpg
3MB, 5344x3006px
Here are my two new beardies. Sparse ATM have some excavator clay coming and more things to set it all up. Going light until they settle in for a week.
>>
File: IMG_20170110_201954.jpg (1MB, 4145x2735px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170110_201954.jpg
1MB, 4145x2735px
>>2296410

Image doesn't seem like it but she was the freak large of the clutch. 3x wide as her brother. (And they will be separated in 3 months to avoid breeding.)
>>
>>2296410
that's a huge ass tank for those little things

I mean the length is good for them to run around but why does it need to be so tall theres nothing to occupy the space. My uro has like a bunch of rocks that reach almost to the top for him to climb so I need it to be tall but for those guys I'd get something way smaller
>>
File: IMG_20170110_221222.jpg (365KB, 1803x1831px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170110_221222.jpg
365KB, 1803x1831px
>>2296415
It's gonna be just under about or half full with excavator clay so they can dig. It's also a 40gal from Petco when they do their 1$ a gallon deal.

So the rock I plan to boost of course but with the soil they will only be about 10in from the top of that.

Also I had a lighting question. I have a good solar global Exo Terra bulb and a ceramic bulb should I do like many people and buy a under cabinet florescent fixture and get a Reptile glow bulb too?

Bonus pick of Zelda on her Z.
>>
>>2296412
Do whatever you like, but that's why it's sick looking, hope all goes well and you don't end up with a dead one.
>>
>>2296428
Sick looking? If you say so. Glad you think it came home sick since this is how they look. And no it's not some Petco rept.

A 40gal cage doesn't make them sick nor did they get Ill in one day. (Been sunning them extra until then where they can get lots of natural light)

Yes 40 gal is adult size and I'm aware it's too deep hence why I'm gonna raise it up inside so they get their light better, I don't think it's good as is.

Not sure if sarcastic or genuine well wishing for their health.
>>
>>2296433

Look day one and before take home*
>>
>>2296376
well a bp is basically going to be the exact opposite of that
they rarely move and almost never bite

also if youre gonna get one, take it from me and shell out a little dosh for a more interesting morph. Seriously consider it though if you want anything with spider genes in it. They can have a neurological disorder called a wobble
>>
>>2296376

Bananas are very popular and pretty. Check out Morphmarket. You can see many many various morphs and see what you like best and by price.

I am partial to lavender albinos and piebalds.
>>
>>2296376
imo stay away from morphs unless they're affordable ones, unless you want to get into breeding them. some of the prices on the morphs are ridiculous when it's the same freaking snake in the end.

kingsnakes are cooler than ball pythons imo, much more interesting in behavior but you will probably enjoy handling a ball python more as it'll just sit there rolled up most likely.
>>
>>2296483

Hey man, how about those Dreamsickles.
>>
>>2296486
i just googled it and doesn't do anything for me. i'm not a morph guy, i like wild types better because that's what you see in nature and for me half the fun of keeping reptiles is being able to keep "that wild animal" at home.
>>
>>2296497

Thats cool I get where you are coming from. I used to be a male panther chameleon owner so I guess I'm kinda big/used to major color.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (13KB, 276x182px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
13KB, 276x182px
>>2296497

This is my dream wild. A red mountain boa.

Someday.. they are harder to keep and tend to like to eat lizards vs mice so finding a supplier can be tricky.
>>
File: ABwCBul.jpg (386KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ABwCBul.jpg
386KB, 1024x768px
>>2296499
oh i love colors, trust me, my snake collection is largely based on colors. i guess i just like snakes that are naturally colorful than a ball python morph. ever see a california red sided garter? pic related.

not bagging on ball pythons by the way, they do make nice pets and i see why people get into them
>>
>>2296502
yeah i know someone who keeps them, nice snakes for sure. they eat anoles as babies so they can be tricky to get switched over to rodents, but they will eat rodents as adults so worth it if you can deal with stinky babies (they must a lot) that prefer anoles. the one other thing about them is, not all of them will turn red, a lot of them are more brown-rusty color so imo it would kind of suck if it doesn't turn red. you can avoid these problems by just getting a red rodent established adult i guess
>>
>>2296505
That is beautiful.. I love when animals are so colorful you think "that's fucking fake."

And I am into balls because if the breeding and general handling. I am on the path waiting for my females to mature.

>>2296507
Ah that's good to know. I wonder if it's gender related somehow. It's honestly a wish list snake.

My big want after BP is to get an Albino Super Dwarf male Retic Python
>>
File: iu.jpg (226KB, 935x879px) Image search: [Google]
iu.jpg
226KB, 935x879px
Found one of these little guys by my shoes the other day.
Extra surprising since it had just snowed.
I've been keeping him on a Jade plant until it warms up tomorrow, then let him go and try to burrow a hole to hibernate in or whatever.
>>
>>2296401
This is what I thought as well but we do see them both eat as we keep separate food bowls at each side of the enclosure (90gal). Luckily I'm picking up a spare tank and lights from a guy at work so I'll try to separate them and see if it helps. Thanks.
>>
>>2296507
I wouldn't be able to feed lizards to anything. they are my favorite
>>
>>2296524
It baffles me some people keep these as pets, you can see a dozen in a day outside
>>
>>2290980
Yo my red tail boa ate a mouse that had allegedly been in the tank for about a day, it's been 2 or 3 days since and she's fine but should I expect problems? It didn't seem bad when I saw her eating it.
>>
>>2296505
That's a gorgeous snake wow
>>
File: greenanole.jpg (148KB, 400x607px) Image search: [Google]
greenanole.jpg
148KB, 400x607px
>>2296648
you can see a dozen dogs a day outside. what is your point? you can't like an animal unless it is exotic? it's not like they even live everywhere across the US either. There are a shitton of people who live outside of this range
>>
>>2296665
Not to mention that much of that eastern range has been overtaken by cubans.
>>
File: tstetra2sm042.jpg (215KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
tstetra2sm042.jpg
215KB, 900x600px
>>2296655
yes, I too love the fabled color saturation snakes.

this is how its color actually looks like.
>>
>>2296676
Still stands, gorgeous snake
>>
>>2296666
Texas here I have a shit ton of Cuban anoles now just out of nowhere, they're beautiful looking but we still get some green anoles around.
>>
>>2296666
I'm in georgia, and luckily they haven't been overtaken by brown anoles or cuban anoles where I live. Seeing cubans would be cool though
>>
File: 20170112_161836.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170112_161836.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
How do I get that annoying fucking piece of stuck shed off her nose? She shed everything else off perfectly but that
>>
>>2296796
Moisten q-tip and make gentle rolling motion over stuck shed. Don't rub.
>>
File: 1Baby.jpg (419KB, 2500x1406px) Image search: [Google]
1Baby.jpg
419KB, 2500x1406px
>>2296854

>Have 2 crested geckos.
>Been making babies for the last year
>Haven't seen new eggs in 2 months
>Thought Fuckfest-2016 was finally over
>Cleaning cage out just nowp
>Find 8 eggs
>Somehow edged underneath the lay box
>Like a slut dropping a newborn in a dumpster

What is with kids and sex these days?
>>
File: IMAG0182.jpg (836KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0182.jpg
836KB, 1836x3264px
>>2291401
>"suh nigguh"
What's the cutest snake and why is it corn snakes?

Beautiful bastard you have there. And I know the pain. My two don't sit still for shit unless they're already cold and wanting to warm their bodies on my arm.

How old is yours? Mine are about a year old.
>>
File: IMAG0190.jpg (751KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0190.jpg
751KB, 1836x3264px
>>2296924
Another pic of my Dante.

He's curious about the phone in this one. Kept checking it out.
>>
File: IMAG0198.jpg (810KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0198.jpg
810KB, 1836x3264px
>>2296928
This is Aurora. She is in shed. Held her for 5 min and put her back. Took this pic for a friend originally, I wouldn't normally handle my guys in shed.
>>
>>2296796
Use your tongue
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Can you spot the snake?
>>
File: 1484325995470.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1484325995470.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2297269
is this it?
also whats the green stuff under the tank?
>>
>>2296676
well actually what you just posted is a san francisco garter snake, not a california red sided garter snake. they are different species.

and california red sided garters have varying degrees of 'saturation' to their colors. certain localities are known for their bright neon blue colors, such as marine county and sonoma county.
>>
/an/ im going fucking crazy
My juvenile jungle carpet python has been giving me absolute hell trying to switch him over to rats.
He's either eaten two or three times since october and I feed my 2 snakes every ~14 days
Now I know I dont need to worry about him starving for awhile but he just completely ignores rats. I gutted a small mouse spread its guts all over the rat then inserted the rats nose into the pocket of where the mouses stomach was and tied them together with a strand of my hair and he started to take it last night but as soon as he got to the rat he spit it out

Is there any tricks one of you might have I could try Ive done braining also which has no effect.
>>
What do you guys use for adult bearded dragon hides?
I'm not even mine will use one, since he barely uses the one he has already, but I figure its better to have than not
>>
>>2297402
>I gutted a small mouse spread its guts all over the rat then inserted the rats nose into the pocket of where the mouses stomach was and tied them together with a strand of my hair

lol
>>
>>2297402
Well. He may never like rats. Feed him mice bc Oct was like 3 months ago. It's possible that's all he will eat. I've heard of it happening, even to experts. Snakes only perfering one prey item. Breeders usually start their bigger snakes off of newborn rat pups anyway. I only know of the smaller variety like rat snakes or king snakes starting on mice.

Honestly, if you need help from 4Chan and you're not joining a forum or googling methods, you should rehome your snake.
>>
>>2297540
I've done tons of googling and searching through forums dating back 10+years

And 3 months is nothing for a snake to go without food get off your highhorse I prefer to post here because of the anonymity factor and not having to deal with all the bullshit rampant on smaller forums
>>
I wanted to share my leopard gecko's tank after a good clean and see some others too. Sorry for the poor lighting quality, the room is pretty shit for photos.
>>
>>2297688
Isabelle a cute
and so is your gek
>>
File: IMG_2074.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2074.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Bumping with an updated Dio pic

He's quite the voracious eater, but so qt

I've been alternating between shrimp and smelt injected with a tiny bit of herotivite every two or three days with a blend of pellets(omega one + reptilian)/river shrimp/krill and then about 3/4 a cube of frozen bloodworms whenever I feed my fish those. Sound like too much? It can't be too little. I want variance in his diet, if anyone can recommend other things to add to keep things interesting I'd appreciate it
>>
File: IMG_2071.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2071.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2298259
Also changed the location of his tank, now it's next to the fish which seems to be somewhat stimulating/entertaining
>>
My bearded dragon is a huge idiot who think the green splotches on his new climbing rock thing are salad greens
>>
>>2298259
>>2298263
that's really cool. when you first picked him up my only thought was some uneducated fag was going to kill that snapping turtle, but you proved me wrong.

I've seen people feed them mice, but I don't know how good that is.
>>
File: 10031442421.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
10031442421.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
hey guys wanted to get some feedback on this set up I made now i know the moss isnt very alive and its pretty empty currently but as a build does /an/ think its pretty ok? (my first build btw) some ideas for plants would be nice nothing too hard to keep since I dont have a misting system yet but when i do all will be good and ready to go also i only got one gargoyle gecko in the enclosure currently (solo male). any other things like adding more wood and the such feel free to say open for suggestions here.
>>
>>2298657
also fuck image tilted...i hate using phones i swear.
>>
File: iuGlQei.jpg (287KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
iuGlQei.jpg
287KB, 2048x1536px
Manlets, will they ever learn?
>>
File: IMG_5363.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5363.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Is my ball python small, /an/? Hes a 3 year old male eatig adult mice
I dont know a lot about balls i got him recently and my friend had a 2 yesr old male much bigger than him but maybe ijust imagined it bigger cause i was a kid
>>
File: IMG_5366.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5366.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2298705
Another angle
>>
>>2298657

Looks good. Just needs some more foliage for cover for your gecko. Too wide open in the middle.
>>
Just got a Gargoyle Gecko. I've been prepping for this for a few months, so don't freak out. I do have all the vitamins, lights, humidity/temp gauges, plants, wood, etc. What I want to know is how do I know he's a happy lizard? His cage is about 400% bigger than what he was in at the store, and I've only had him about a few hours (left him completely alone, but in the same room, so he adjusts). I know most people think reptiles can't be happy, like dogs or people, but I want to make sure Im doing the best I can for him. He's pretty calm so far, but Idk if he's scared, unhappy, cold, etc. I'm obviously freaking out. I want to do a good job. :(
>>
File: IMG_2147.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2147.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2298457
Thanks! I'm glad I didn't fall into that unfortunately common category, still got a long ways to go however, have only had him now for four months. I plan to keep posting updates here n there for critique, imo nothing beats /an/ a lot of the time.
>>
File: IMG_2139.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2139.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2298832
Forgot to add that thanks for the suggestion on mice, I think I might add like one of the little baby ones every other week en lieu of the shrimp/smelt

(I also wanted to post another qt pic)
>>
File: snek.jpg (128KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
128KB, 960x960px
>>2289960
I didn't even realise this board existed until now. Some great threads. Here's my 21 year old Kingsnake, he's probably going to die soon as he has barely eaten in the past 6 months, but he's a trooper (old pic).
>>
>>2298795
You've clearly put time into research and you seem a caring owner, so if you've followed the general guidelines for the gecko then I'm sure he's fine.
>>
File: IMG_5194.png (1MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5194.png
1MB, 1242x2208px
When i feed my snake he doesnt strike or constrict it is this just being lazy cause the mouse is already dead or is something wrong with him?
He just slithers up to the mouse slowly Wraps his mouth around it and lays down to start swallowing it
My other snake strikes and constricts it so i dont think its just because theyre frozen
>>
>>2298854
what snake?
>>
>>2298856
Corn
>>
>>2298865
I haven't kept corns before so idk, sorry. At least he's eating though.
>>
>>2298705
>>2298707
get it off mice and switch to rats for starters
should have fed it that from the start
>>
>>2298705
Looks fine sizewise to me, adults average 3'-5' with the occasional 6-footer.

The adult size of snakes depends on feeding and genetics.

I would get it off mice and put it on small rats though. If it's meant to grow any bigger, it will get bigger with time. A snake that takes longer to get big is healthier than one grown up too fast, and this one isn't emaciated so I wouldn't worry all that much.

>>2298854
It likely just realizes it doesn't have to constrict its food. As long as it eats that's all that matters.
>>
if I give a lizard little chin scritches, and it raises its chin (kinda like how cats do when you scratch their chin) and closes its eyes does that mean it enjoys it?
>>
>>2298904
no
>>
>>2298705
try to know a lot about them before you get one. start getting him used to rats like others suggested because balls can be fussy about food, and it might take time to get it accepting rats.
>>
>>2298838
poor grandpa snek
>>
>>2298906
ok.
>>
>>2298854
maybe I'll get shit for doing this but when I feed my snek I nudge the rats (with the feeding tongs) a bit to make it seem likes it's alive and that makes the snake constrict it
If I feel like it's a half ass constriction I move it more and it tightens up at which point I leave it alone
>>
>>2298795
Gecko will be fine. Just do your daily misting, make sure humidity is in right range, change out water when necessary, put in fresh food every other day. Don't put in any crickets until your garg is regularly eating Repashy (or whatever cgd you have).

Don't pick up or handle until gecko is eating consistently. This may take a couple weeks. I've had new geckos eat day 1 and others who refused food for 10+ days. All are fine and dandy now. So don't worry.
>>
>>2298914
That's fine. Not really necessary if your snek commits to swallowing regardless but certainly no harm done and snek probably enjoys the extra wiggling.
>>
>>2298866
>>2298896
>>2298914
Okay cool
I figured he probwbly knows its dead and hes like whatever
>>
>>2298794
yea was going to do that but trying to find some more climbing type plants like vines and the such to help give the massive bark in the center more vibrance also gonna try see if i can get my hands on a taller more sturdy plant to put in that open space at the bottom right side but have it tilting out from the corner.
>>
File: 471881641414.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
471881641414.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2298795
relax my man gargs are chill as fuck and mostly are very accepting geckos when it come to being handled of course give it some time to get into the habit of eating regularly etc before doing so make sure to give it a varied diet or if it takes it just the repashy i give my one repashy every two days since he dont eat that on his own but for some dumb reason only seems to hunt and eat moths and the grubs everything else he ignores. heres a pic but its probably gonna be sideways coz phone hes nearly two years old now.
>>
>>2299117
>heres a pic but its probably gonna be sideways coz phone
Next time take a screenshot of the pic you want to post, then post that. It won't be flipped.
>>
>>2299211
Oh fuck thanks cant believe I didn't think of that...
>>
>>2298894
>>2298896
>>2298907
Thank you guys i will switch him over to rats next week
youre right about knowing a lot about them before buying but it was a sudden adoption from somebody who couldnt keep him anymore and she kept telling me adult mice
>>
>>2299211
Or you could rotate your phone when you take the pic like a normal human
>>
Dude with the Gargoyle Gecko here;

Thank you for all the advice. I've been monitoring him carefully, but not bothering him. I'm just slightly worried... he's been in the same exactly position/location for over 24 hours now. Is that normal? He's grasping vertically against the side of the stand-up drift wood, under the hanging plant, face-down.
>>
>>2299414

Yep, normal. He likely did move over night when it was all dark and quiet in the house, then returned to same place. These geckos tend to pick spots they like to sleep in and use them regularly.
>>
>>2299338
That's not it anon. When you post pics on 4chan they scrub the exif data, which screws up the orientation.
Even if you turned your phone it would still come out fucked.
>normal human being
>>
>>2299338
that dont do shit to the image will still come out this way
>>
>>2298971

It seems to depend on the Snake. Mine is a timid girl but when it comes to eating she hits it before I even lower it down for her and constricts the hell out of it.
>>
File: ball-python-snake.jpg (346KB, 648x582px) Image search: [Google]
ball-python-snake.jpg
346KB, 648x582px
Any advice on where to get my first ball python?
>>
>>2299688
Local herp shop or breeder
A nearby convention
reputable breeder found online
>>
File: 20170117_022109.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_022109.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2299338
>>2299462
>>2299537
Trying it out
>>
>>2299462
>normal human being
I hope you don't take pics while holding your phone uptight. Turn it sideways to take pics how they were meant to be taken
>>2299537
>>2299732
shhh
you hear that
the sound of getting btfo
>>
>>2299734
Are you fucking stupid?
>>
File: QaecI4ih.jpg (120KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
QaecI4ih.jpg
120KB, 1024x576px
Check out Fritz' new digs
The dork has decided however that he wants to wedge himself into the right corner there instead of sleep in a log under the CHE
>>
File: 1410695572886.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1410695572886.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
>>2300174
>american tanks
>>
>>2300176
I'm... sorry?
>>
>>2300178

He is either shitting on the tank itself or the fact you haven't taken the step to hand craft with polystyrene for your lizard making a masterpiece enclosure. If the second thing he is probably just a douche. If not then I dunno he will probably tell and/or reem me.
>>
>>2300187
I'd love to do that, because the cardboard taped around the sides is ugly as shit. but i gotta figure out how/practice first

also I plan on getting some tile in there, bu tthe newspaper isnt so bad especially since I cant see it from where im sitting
>>
>>2300191

I am doing that myself. Just need a bit more cash so I can pick up the materials.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/falserock/?page=1
>>
starting on a diy project this week. My plan it to make an extension to the top of my crested gecko tanks to increase the height by maybe six or eight inches. The gecko in question lives in an 18*18*18 exo terra and is very active so I think he could use some more climbing space.

The plan is to make a wood frame to fit on the lip the screen top normally sits on, then use existing screen top on top of the frame. Walls of the extension will be clear coroplast with possibly an acrylic panel on the front.

Will post pics when completed. This is an experiment build to test a design idea I have for making sturdy lightweight arboreal tanks that are cheaper and easier to build than pvc panel style.
>>
I'm planning on getting a leopard gecko in the next few months. I want to start setting up the habitat soon but I'm not sure where in the house I should place it. I've never owned a nocturnal animal before and I'm worried that my roommates (they work nights) will upset the geckos internal clock by having the lights on in the living room/kitchen. We have an open floor plan. Does the gecko need to be in complete darkness at night or is indirect lighting ok? (I know not to give them basking lights at all)
>>
Going to rearange my leopard gecko enclosure, give me some inspo lads
>>
>>2299756
lmao!
Why asspained because you were proven wrong?
>>
>>2300569

It doesn't need to be total darkness but best to keep herp tanks in an area that doesn't get a great deal of foot traffic all the time. Probably best to put tank in your bedroom.
>>
>>2300715
I guess I got my answer.
You really are stupid if you really think you proved anyone wrong.
>>
>>2300716

That is true but for some it is a good idea to let them see you often to get used to you but that's mainly chams, dragons, Uromaystxs and the like. For gekos I agree.

Not saying you are wrong in any way just wanted to put my caviots in there.

Oh but also remember to the original question asked to keep it so herps like gekos and other lizards cannot see snakes. Scares them too much.
>>
>>2300718
I've had the opposite issue
My bearded dragon was set on killing my boa constrictor and it was stressing him out.
>>
>>2300717
yes I did
>Even if you turned your phone it would still come out fucked.
wrong
>that dont do shit to the image will still come out this way
wrong
>>
>>2300725
Again for the mentally handicapped, and reddit users.
If you post from a phone, 4chan scrubs the exif data. This screws the orientation, resulting in sideways pics. No matter what direction you hold your phone and take pics, this doesn't change.
Please learn how our board operates before you start criticizing other users, lurk more, and stop being such a faggot.
>>
>>2300724

Might be due to my girl still being a juvenile. She is already 12in at 2.5 months but so far she has been submissive/acknowledging me. Probably change when she gets older and hits her lizard puberty.
>>
>>2300742
Mines pretty submissive to me, but to other animals she's vicious.
Dragons are really aggressive to anything their size or smaller once they mature
>>
>>2300733
fucking crazy considering this >>2299732
happened
shut your fucking mouth if you have no idea what you're talking about
why don't you try it yourself you colossal faggot
>>
>>2300748
That is a screenshot you dense motherfucker.
>>
File: 20170118_135437.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170118_135437.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>
>>2300751
making a webm of me taking this >>2300756
for you because you're that fucking dumb
>>
>>2300759
Why don't you make a webm of you hanging yourself faggot.
>>
File: screen_video.webm (3MB, 532x896px) Image search: [Google]
screen_video.webm
3MB, 532x896px
>>2300759
>>
File: 1481867750476.jpg (7KB, 235x181px) Image search: [Google]
1481867750476.jpg
7KB, 235x181px
Shut the fuck up about this image thing. Your epeens are way off topic. Drop it already.
>>
>>2300780
stupid namefag
>>
>>2300716
How much foot traffic is too much? I haven't read anything about this so I'm curious. I know they are solitary creatures but I didn't think they need to be secluded. I thought their hides would be sufficient privacy? We don't throw parties or anything but would tv or music bother them? (Thank you for replying btw)
>>
File: 1481860255017.jpg (41KB, 549x604px) Image search: [Google]
1481860255017.jpg
41KB, 549x604px
>>2300787

Filthy coward hiding behind the moniker of anon.
>>
>>2301073
Go back to /pol/
This board isn't big enough for both of us
>>
>>2301036
Things like hallways and kitchens should be avoided. Living room is alright.
>>
File: 1481253762833.jpg (201KB, 893x950px) Image search: [Google]
1481253762833.jpg
201KB, 893x950px
>>2301167

Is my image from /pol/?

Never actually been there. I just like crusades and templars.
>>
>>2301297
I think I saw them use It once
>>
Anyone here have either a newt tank or an axolotl tank?

For a single specimen, is a 20-gallon tank okay? Petco has a dollar per gallon sale and I was thinking of picking up a 20g. I know axolotls are messy but I just want one. Is that too small still?

The other consideration is something like an Eastern newt, I'd just want one or two at most.
>>
File: IMG_0957.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0957.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Any recommendations for drainage? I have a decent sized bucket ~5gal that I was using before, but that set up won't work anymore. Ideas for cage stands or anything?
>>
>>2301306
A 20 gal could work for a single one. Would be good if the tank wasn't that high, as floor space is more important for axolots. I'd personally would still rather go for at least 30 gal, which in turn could house two of them.

Eastern newts would be fine in there.
>>
File: frogs_AAA4207.jpg (126KB, 1224x819px) Image search: [Google]
frogs_AAA4207.jpg
126KB, 1224x819px
Anyone ever kept a Mossy Frog? Just recently found out about these and think they are adorable and cool-looking but there's not much info on their care in a tank online. Says they're 'easy'.
>>
File: Theloderma_gordoni-max.jpg (330KB, 700x465px) Image search: [Google]
Theloderma_gordoni-max.jpg
330KB, 700x465px
>>2301515
I've got a german magazine with an article about them with more specific reports about Theloderma gordoni and T. horridum.

Here's a summary of the gordoni part:
-kept in at least 40x40x40cm tank
-20-22°C during the day, 18-19°C at night
-ground is flooded 3-5cm with water.
-it's beneficial to put some bark on the ground because the frogs like to lay their eggs and hide there, also easy to take out and clean
-water quality is very important. big water changes or putting frogs into foreign water can be lethal, even for captive breds.
-organic material in the water that rots and fills it with tannins and other substances seems to be important for their metabolism and health
- hard water (5,5 pH)
- lightning not that important because they are nocturnal
- if the parameters in the tank are steady, they aren't much trouble
- when they start breeding, they'll do it a lot
- preferably kept in groups of 1 male 2-3 females

hope this helps
>>
File: 6831720255_e52c311372_b.jpg (362KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
6831720255_e52c311372_b.jpg
362KB, 1024x683px
>>2301546
and for T. horridum
- kept in 30x30x40cm
- 4-6cm water, 21-23°C
- 20-21°C on land
- cork oak bark plus oak leafs create the desired water quality
- water should have a yellow-ish tone like dilluted tea, but still transparent
>>
>>2301546
Sounds a bit more complicated than what I was hoping for. I keep small fishtanks now and keeping such a tiny amount of water clean can be a pain. Thanks for the info though.
>>
>>2293165
no fighting maybe, but they are probably stressed. you just can't see it
>>
>>2301300
>>2301297
well naturally /pol/ likes crusades for good reason
>>
>>2301561
If you want a cool-looking frog you could also consider Trachycephalus resinifictrix aka milk frogs.
>>
File: images (7).jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>2301568

Don't forget pacman. They are pretty chill with being handled and hand fed too. I don't own one but my local shop has one who likes to be out and fed.
>>
File: IMG-20170117-WA0000.jpg (99KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170117-WA0000.jpg
99KB, 1600x1200px
Im going to have a female partner for my Orion, obviously in a different tank, im not going to breed. Anyone has knowledge about the behaviour, pros and cons about a female leopard gecko? Photo related, I will name her Momo.
>>
File: IMG_20170112_223133.jpg (130KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170112_223133.jpg
130KB, 540x960px
>>2301622
Meanwhile my Orion doing fine.
>>
File: IMG-20170117-WA0030.jpg (112KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170117-WA0030.jpg
112KB, 1600x900px
>>2301625
And another photo with his new cave.
>>
>>2301622
Leopards. Fat-tail or normal are more of a "you can handle me but I don't give a fuck if you do or don't."

From what I have noticed fats are bitchier when young (seen a screamer or two) but more sociable when adults.

Any should be fine as long as you handle them often. They aren't pissy really just not much of a love me lizard.
>>
File: IMG_20170117_011758.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170117_011758.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
>>2301629
Thank you, im looking forward to see them grow. Maybe they dont give a shit but sometimes they're so lovable..for example when I rub his head he enjoys it closing his eyes, afterwhile he licks my finger. He's getting used to messing with the paper towel or tipping over the calcium plate to beg for food. Also he begs clinging on the tank when he want to go out for a walk.
>>
How the fuck are these possible? Or is it just filter?

That white-pink cutie is amazing. Also that shimmering top one? Is that a scaleless?

Help, /an/.
>>
>>2298865

My corn also doesn't give a fuck if the mouse is just placed in the terrarium. If I move it a bit he will attack it. It's normal.
>>
>>2301652
>kitchen roll as ground
>misinterprets behaviour because of anthropomorphisation
Great, another retard. Just what this thread needed.
>>
>>2301652
Well there can always be exceptions. I've only had females.

>>2301654
The ball python is a edit or desaturate. It's probably a lavender albino tone changed or if it was born like that it will change to a more yellow or orange. Cannot speak for the others.
>>
>>2301675
3 of those are balls
>>
>>2301675
DId some reverse searching and actually found the original pic.
>>
>>2301672

Do we need to do this again?

>We humanize because we want to connect
>They feel simple basic emotions
>We can have them associate "good things" to us
>They can't love you

Who fucking cares. Drop the top the shit, unless it crosses the line for the animals safety it doesn't matter, not one fucking bit.
>>
>>2301677

Yes. I admit I didn't think much of it. I meant more the right ones. I haven't seen a all black or a semipink leather color either.
>>
>>2301652
closing eyes is a defensive posture for lizards you dum-dum. and licking is just smelling
>>
>>2301654
All of those pictures have filters on them
Right middle looks like a texas ratsnake bottom left is a mexican black kingsnake those two for sure are real
>>
File: IMG_20170119_183249.jpg (1MB, 2922x2117px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170119_183249.jpg
1MB, 2922x2117px
>>2301688

There is the question besides sleep of "when is it pleasure vs stress/fear" I have always wondered but my girl in the pic never eye closes when pet and only moves away the part being touched if she doesn't want it.

And yeah the tongue is basically how they feel things/examine.
>>
>>2301719
>There is the question besides sleep of when is it pleasure
never
>vs stress/fear
always
glad I could clear that up for you, now stop manhandling your pet.
>>
>>2301722

>Manhandling.
Ok, I'll stop holding my snek too forever.

You are kind of a cunt. A cunt with a degree in reptilian behavior though so hats off to you.
>>
>>2301733

Oh and before we get there yes I expect I am a dumb cunt.

The question was serious though. More or less I was unsure what quantifies say a reptile enjoying a itchy spot being rubbed.

There are many proper indications to know if your interactions are bugging your reptile (at least in a bearded dragons case - bearding, darkening, avoidance, escape attempts). Most reptiles are only tolerant at best.

My reptile just knows I'm her food source a good heat blanket and entertainment. Other than that I'm not a tard who thinks my lizard would be sad if I got killed right Infront of her or anything.
>>
Would you guys be interested in getting a discord going?
>>
Anyone able to create a purchase list for a bearded dragon enclosure?

I know the general care requirements and what to get. It will be in a 40g Exo Terra size tank (36x18x18).

The reason I ask is a lot of people say they save money getting flood lights as opposed to the reptile heat lamps, they also mention getting a T5HO fixture with reflector instead of a generic fluorescent light for the UVB. But I'm not following what they're suggesting to get here. Especially given the large variety of things available that meet this criteria.
>>
>>2301733
>Ok, I'll stop holding my snek too forever.
it would be happier
>>
>>2301742
increase the length to 47
>>
>>2301743
It would be more content but honestly most snake owners buy them for looks, breeding, and handling. Though watching feedings is always a treat.
>>
>>2301742

Honestly go to https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/

Opinions vary to what things are better by each person but they have a lot of experieced owners.
>>
>>2301672
Paper towel is the most functional substrate for leos. Safe and easy to replace for cleaning. Tile looks nicer but more work to clean.
>>
File: IMG-20170104-WA0020.jpg (68KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170104-WA0020.jpg
68KB, 1600x900px
>>2301750
I dont understand why people would trade their herps, dont they have any love for them?
>>
File: froguu.jpg (25KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
froguu.jpg
25KB, 600x426px
Hey /herp/ I made a discord if you guys are interested in voice chatting or getting more immediate responses if people are online.

https://discord.gg/28Tsg7v

If you guys are interested come in and talk or share shit. This was specifically for the herp general of /an/.
I won't be on for awhile today but I will most of the time.
>>
>>2296649
I have no idea what you're asking.
>>
>>2296649
No that's fine though I wouldn't recommend leaving feeders in unattended overnight.
>>
>>2294820
Make sure it's a reputable site.
My mother ordered me a red tail online for my 19th birthday but had no idea about reputable versus shitty and the snake died a day after it arrived.
We got a full refund and I took her to a reputable breeder to get me one who is now 3 years old and completely healthy.
So yeah it's mostly dépendant on the breeder
>>
FRESH NEW THREAD COMING AT YA HOT AND CRISPY

>>2302245

>>2302245

>>2302245

>>2302245

>>2302245
>>
>>2295375
They have sharp nails that make you bleed. You find a lot of them at shelters and on craigslist. Dont be one of those guys "im moving and cant take it with me" or whatever. It can live for 15+ years with proper care. Its a long time commitment. Very friendly, mine goes crazy for a cat toy because it thinks its a roach. Idk soak it once a week so it can drink/shit.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 84

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.