[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dino pet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

This is a 'pet' of bioluminescent life in the shape of a dinosaur, it will glow when shaken. Has anyone bought one of these? I kind of want one but I would feel a little bad if you can't really 'care' for the microorganisms, they just sit in there and die. I know I'm a pussy.

but does anyone have experience with this thing?
>>
It says you can feed them (to some extent) but I don't know how long you can keep the colony reproducing.

I have had a jar full of seawater someone filled from a red tide and it did make bluish sparks when shaken. Lasted about a week, didn't know about what they consume. The thing is that I don't know if shaking irritates or damages them or not, and it seems mean to bang them around just for a little light show. Much better to see them in the surf.
>>
>>2289741
>I don't know how long you can keep the colony reproducing.
they say with proper care you can keep them reproducing forever. You'd have to buy food every now and then.

I suspect this is true. Dinoflagellates are a pest in saltwater aquariums that are almost impossible to kill off.
>>
I found a beach full of these glowing things. It was the most eerily beautiful things I've ever seen. I thought it might give me powers it was some radioactive waste but the seawater made me sick.
>>
>>2289741
>but does anyone have experience with this thing?

Not with that thing, but with bioluminescent dinoflagellates. You can get a starter culture for like 5-10$ Not sure I'd blow $85 because it's dinosaur shaped. But do what you gotta do.
>>
File: Snook-2.jpg (329KB, 2048x1359px) Image search: [Google]
Snook-2.jpg
329KB, 2048x1359px
>>2289886
I remember seeing it when fishing. It was so cool when a large snook(the intended fish we were trying to catch) was striking bait fish, they'd excite the algae and would create this glowing dragon for a brief second. It was the coolest thing in the world.

Pic related, it's a snook
>>
>>2289741
My girlfriend bought one for her mom. They tried to get it to glow a few nights I was over, I think there were a few but the op is definetly edited. It just looks like a glowing dinosaur, and that's it. Except you have to feed it. I'm guessing by now, hers is already dead. Saw it sitting on the bathroom windowsill recently.
>>
>>2289755
They don't feel pain or emotions
>>
Don't encourage companies that sell living things as toys!
>>
>>2290992
See>>2290954
>>
>>2290993
Today is this thing, tomorrow who knows...
>>
>>2290994
maybe dogs or cats or birds might be next

put there really has been a recent push for living desk ornaments lately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnHjGsbGa4
>>
>DINOpet
>DINOflagellates

it took me a while to get it
>>
>>2290992
Are you also concerned for yeast in stores?
>>
File: dinoflagellate.jpg (178KB, 868x743px) Image search: [Google]
dinoflagellate.jpg
178KB, 868x743px
>>2290954
They most certainly do experience pain and emotions. Dinoflagellates have a central nervous system and nociceptor (sensory) nerves. Researchers have observed them playing with balls of algae cells when they're isolated, and social grooming behavior similar to lobsters when in groups.
>>
>>2292071
nice b8, m8
>>
>>2289741
I mean I know they're on the fringe of even being considered animals but I feel bad for them that they're trapped in there.
>>
>>2292262
They are on the same level as algae. I'm all against the gimicky animal habitats, but this sort of thing is fine.
>>
>>2289741

You feed them, so you are caring for them.
>>
are they harmful to saltwater aquariums?
>>
dinoflagellata are very hardy critters

protip: it's cheaper to buy bioluminescent strains online and culture them yourself over going through a dumb middleman with a toy

http://biolum.eemb.ucsb.edu/organism/dinohome.html
>>
>>2289760
>buy one of these
>go into the home of your most hated enemy
>look them in the eye as you crack it open and pour the contents into their aquarium
>>
>>2292065
No, but yeast in my crotch gets me hella concerned.
>>
>>2289741
They're pretty cool, and they survive through photosynthesis, so leaving them in a well lit area during the day should be fine. They have no concept of where they are, why they're there, or any sort of feeling. They're basically plants. Might not be worth the 60$ though.
>>
>>2292435
Won't they need clean water eventually though?
>>
>>2292444
no, they thrive in dirty water. Just like algae and cyanobacteria.
>>
I culture cyanobacteria from my yard in a plastic box.

https://spacescience.arc.nasa.gov/microbes/STEP/documents/labs/How%20to%20Make%20a%20Microbial%20Mat.pdf
>>
>>2289886
You just drank some random glowing liquid in the off chance it was radioactive waste that would give you super powers upon ingestion?
>>
>>2292491
>drank
I think he means the seawater in general I doubt he drank glowing seawater

May not be the same as the Gulf Coast where I'm at though, beach smells like dead fish and rotten seaweed usually and the water is typically muddy brown

I don't think I've ever seen it clear
>>
>>2292972
You must live in texas
>>
First time I saw that dino thing was a post on facebook
>most of the comments were calling it animal abuse
Just
>>
>>2289886
We get them on the east coast of Australia in summer. You can walk along the beach and look behind you to see your footprints outlined in a shimmering glow for a good 30 meters behind you. Fucking incredible little beasties they are.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.