[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I reasonably adopt a dog when I work 8-5 and sometimes have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (32KB, 480x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 480x354px
Can I reasonably adopt a dog when I work 8-5 and sometimes have post-work commitments?

My roommate is moving out and taking the dog with him, and I feel like things will be a little empty without a pooch... But I also don't want to do more harm than good for my selfish desires.
>>
Can you go 10 hours without shitting or pissing? with nothing to do? There is your answer.

You need to arrange doggy daycare or hire a dog walker if you absolutely want a dog, and a puppy is out of question.
>>
>>2287636
I actually think it could be fine if you adopt an older dog that's mellow and are OK with giving it a workout before and/or after work. But for those days you have to stay late at work or other obligations, you will need a dog walker or put the dog in daycare that day or something. Problem with this is, for dog walkers you need to let them know ahead of time, sometimes they only need a few hours in advance, sometimes they need days or they are already booked. You also have to take the time to have a meeting with the dog walker, so they can get to know your dog and know where the key is and shit. With dog daycare, I won't lie it's a big expense, and you need to show proof that your dog is UTD on rabies and bordetella, and you will need to know at least the morning before work if you will be home really late.

It's doable but it will require a huge change and a lot of commitment
>>
>>2287645
I should also add, most dogs can not hold it for 10 hours straight so you'd need to get a dog walker or come home for lunch to let the dog out. Otherwise the dog will learn it's not only OK to shit and piss in the house, but that it's actually necessary.
>>
>>2287637
My dog can
I can
My cat can
>>
OP here... I do have a dog door and backyard, so it's not much about the dog relieving itself as it is me being worried it will be lonely.

I have another roommate who is also around, but besides an occasional headpat, he won't contribute.
>>
This is my current life so I will contribute. I just want to say it is doable, but it will require work.

For reference, at my old job, I would come home for lunch 90% of the time to give my dogs some love, potty break, and some training. For the 10% of the time I didn't, they managed. The job I start next week is dog friendly, so they will be joining me in the office. I am obviously really lucky to get this opportunity, so it isn't something I can recommend realistically.

I second much of what everyone said, especially the importance of exercise before leaving. Give them a good run and it will help a lot. Also, be sure to leave them with puzzle toys. A kong that will take him 30 minutes to eat will help a lot. Just deduct the food from his meals.

I know many professionals who take their dogs to doggy day care. That being said, it is rather expensive. The going rate where I live is around 20 bucks a day, so it will add up very quickly. Unfortunately, dog walkers are comparable.

Do you have a neighbor you are friendly with? They may be willibg to help you with your dog if they work a more open schedule for much less. And it is someone who you can trust more.

Last thing I want to add is I more or less live for my dogs. Very little of my free time does not go towarda them in some capacity, even if this is just snuggles on the couch while watching Netflix. The way I see it, is it is my job to make my dogs' lives as happy as they can be while I am here in exchange for having to leave them alone.
>>
>>2287657
That's probably fine then as long as you give lots of love when you are home. Make sure to get an adult dog though. As much as I hate to admit it, puppies are not for those of us with full time jobs
>>
Walk before work
Kong with frozen food/treats (takes longer to lick and chew)
Woobler with breakfast in it
Walk as soon as I get home and play time
Being him everywhere with me as I run errands
If I'm going to be gone for more than 8 hours (extra meetings) then I put up for doggie daycare. I do this maybe two-three times a month so the cost isn't overwhelming
>>
>>2287657
Really bad idea OP. You don't want your dog access to outdoors when no one is around to watch, especially if it's every fucking day.
>>
>>2287637
Uh, yes?
>>
get a cat
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.