[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dog/ General/Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 48

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Previous Bread: >>2261188

Dog Food Advisor:
>https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Last one reached its limit so let's get another one going.

I just have a question about breeders. Have any of you tried to be a breeder, or are any of you breeders currently?
Have you backyard bred or genuinely tried to improve the breed you were working with?
I'm on my way to try and become a hobby breeder, which involves becoming included in showing and taking the necessary health tests to ensure my dam is decent breeding material, then doing background/pedigree checks with whomever she'll breed to. That way I'm not breeding her to her brother or some shit.
I just want to know if anyone else has taken interest in the sport on /an/ aside from myself or ever even considered it, because let's face it, it's dying.
No one appreciates breeders anymore and because of that lines are dying out and certain breeds are already becoming endangered.

Thoughts?
>>
Never thought about that , I just like to have a doggo as my companion.

Good luck with your hobby ,anon. Seems to be a hard thing to accomplish.
>>
Just in my experience for dealing with a variety of breeders, hobbyists have tended to be the best because they aren't trying to making a living off of their dogs, it's a labor of love more than anything

That said all the good ones I've dealt with have basically been rich people with a lot of time on their hands so hopefully you've got a huge property and trust fund OP
>>
>>2287650
>>2287569
Thanks!
>>
>>2287555
How can I get my pup to stop playfully biting people?

I hold it's mouth shut when it tries it with me, but it doesn't do it with me and when it starts doing it with others they play along.

Only thing I can think of is pulling them away from the person and holding it's mouth shut
>>
>>2287764
>How can I get my pup to stop playfully biting people?
you dont. instead you go into your time machine and inform yourself about playbiting BEFORE you fucking get a puppy.

if you dont own a time machine or your time machine is currently out of order: kill yourself
>>
So my sister adopted a Chow/Husky/Samoyed mix puppy while she was in Russia, and he has like, quadrupled in size since.

How big do you suppose he'll end up being? I know Samoyeds are larger dogs and Chows are stocky but not too large. Is it possible that he'd end up stocky AND large, leading to a possibly 100 lb dog even if he isn't obese?

I ask because he loves his cuddles and enjoys sleeping on me.
>>
>>2287764
I used to grab my puppies tounge gently with my fingers. It doesn't hurt but god DAMNIT they hate it. They learn real quick biting does not lead to a fun time.
>>
Hey I am wondering how to learn to like dogs
I am not afraid of them but I respect them and try to avoid as much contact as possible. If they come up to me to greet, I will pet them but I wont do much more than that. I do not wish to harm dogs either.
I believe dogs should be more like tools than pets as well (as in guard or herder), does that count in?

Sorrt for rambling post I am qiute drunk.
>>
>>2287839
Go to your local Rescue shop and choose the most violent one and try to break it
>>
>>2287840
No i dont want a dog
>>
>>2287843
Then just let it go after it's broken. It's a rescue no ones going to miss it, except you
>>
>>2287839
Talk to them in a friendly manner , like "who's the most beautiful dog in the world?" and girly stuff like that all while petting them.

Play something with them , fetch , etc. As long as you enjoy time with a dog ,you will start to like them.

I'm trying the same thing atm , but with cats. I despise them with all my heart and it's really hard to pet them and talk to them in a friendly manner.
>>
>>2287844
Do you mean broken in like taming?
>>2287845
I dont want to get that close to a dog
Im a cat person but I let them live their own life, I just feed them (2) etc and ignore them unless they come up to me. I dont stop them from.fighting either (unless indoord then fuck off)
>>
>>2287850
>Do you mean broken in like taming?
yes
>>
>>2287851
I dobt want a dog though.. i am just wondering how to not be so nervous around them since 99% of the dogs i meet belong to friends/relatives
I dont want to risk having a 50 lb killing machine going for my.juggular
>>
>>2287850
It's up to you , anon. If you think that's the best and your happy with how things are going , that's fine. I just can't do that , if my lab comes to me , I just can't resist , I have to pet her.
>>
>>2287854
>I don't want a dog I'm so afraid
>Golly gee willikers how does I stop being afraid
get a fucking dog
>>
>>2287855
I like labradors too
>>2287856
I guess you are correct but i dont want a dog at all, i just want to know how to tell if its one thats gonba snap
>>
>>2287555
I'm working closely with breeders at the moment to create some police k9 candidates. It's stupid difficult to do it right, especially with popular breeds. The more popular it is, the worse it gets, both with finding other reputable breeders and dealing with potential adopters. I know that GSDs there is like a fucking meta game to finding a good breeder, just having tests and a pedigree isn't enough anymore. For example, you actually want to stay away from GSD breeders who mainly import dogs. Who the fuck would think that would be an issue unless you spent enough time talking to others that look for good quality dogs? The reason for this is a dog's claim to fame should not be that it's imported. They should have their own titles and still do work and still have tests, etc. There's probably something wrong or fishy if they need to import all their dogs.

I'm looking towards creating a less DA APBT while maintaining the tenacity. It's so hard just finding someone who breeds ABDA pedigree APBTs, let alone ones that are trying to shy away from dog aggression as most just turn their cheek assuming it's not an overwhelming aggression. When word got out I was looking for a kennel, every fucking spic and nigger in town had to tell me about their sick ass blue nose monster at home. This is the majority of 'breeders' that unfortunately think they are in my field. Then they want to keep in contact to buy one of my pups, not realizing I'm not creating a low riding bow legged gremlin. All pups are already spoken for if they don't make it as k9s, and that's assuming the first few generations won't. It's just bullshit all around and I can't understand how people who consider themselves dog people know this little about dogs
>>
I have a 1 year old Dachshund. He doesn't seem to like walks, only for about 5-10 minutes and after he poops he stops and looks at me like I'm a retard for walking away from the house. He isn't very good at fetch either, he's possessive about toys to the point where he'd rather run away from me after I throw the toy than give it back. Does it to other dogs too, when my brother's two labs come over he'll bark at them if they have the toy he wants almost nonstop. Sometimes I give him carrots and he's growled at me multiple times for taking them away before the other dogs come over, does it with cat shit too and I'm not touching that literal shit. I'm going to a trainer next week, but what should I do about him only wanting to play keep away or tug of war for exercise in the meantime? I work 40 hours a week and when I have my brother watching him he just lets him do whatever. I'd prefer if he was worn out so he'd sleep most of the time while I'm at work.

Also what are some easy dog treats I can make at home? I'm going to get him some balls tomorrow to put his fetch game on point, but he stops liking store bought treats after a day or two. Other than being an antisocial, possessive asshole he learns quick and knows the basic commands, sit, stay, down, heel, drop it (unless it's a carrot or a game of fetch), come, no, yes, out, track, and dig. Even if you ignore the rest of the post, I'd like to know some more advanced or even basic commands that I've missed and could train him. Seems to be the only way to tire him out.
>>
File: 81iFhTNViBL._SL1500_[1].jpg (307KB, 968x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81iFhTNViBL._SL1500_[1].jpg
307KB, 968x1500px
I want to get pic related for my dog, but I'm worried about mercury levels in the fish. Is that even a factor? It's cheaper than Nutro, and healthier, but I don't want to kill my dog.
>>
>>2287789
>This
It doesn't hurt them but it discourages the activity.

Similarly, you can get that antichew spray that people use to stop dogs from chewing their wounds.
It's completely non toxic, but the vast majority of dogs HATE the taste, just ask some of her usual targets to spray it in their hands and arms the next few times they visit.
It seems a bit weird, but it should work wonders.

Additionally, reward her encounters where she doesn't bite.
>>
>>2287778
Easy 100lb doggo.

My brother has a Bull Mastiff x Rhodesian Ridgeback, it is abnormally huge for both a bull mastiff and a rhodie, combine that with the bulk of the mastiff and the muscle density of the rhodie and it weighs 140lb lean.
>>
>>2287989
Damn.

Now I have to make the choice between possibly not suffocating in my sleep in the future or breaking his heart.
>>
>>2288004
You won't suffocate, but if you're worried and still want him to sleep with you, just teach him that a certain part of the bed is where to sleep.
>>
>>2287966
You got a meme dog. You really expected an inbred, toy breed to retain any of the cliche characteristics you like?

Next time get a Collie or cattle dog. They also come in pretty small. Or a terrier of some sort.
>>
File: 11646156464989.png (7KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
11646156464989.png
7KB, 645x773px
tfw old dog is starting to have accidents in the house
>>
File: image.jpg (872KB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
872KB, 1936x1936px
>>2288013
Dachshunds are decent dogs.
I have 1
I'm in a dachshund club, where they hold a weiner dog race every year
I have a friend that owns 2
Bf's dad owns 1
Bf's mom owns 2

They're all wonderful dogs, no food aggression aside from my own, who was a rescue. It's really cute to watch them all play together.

Pic related. My dachshund and shibe.
>>
>>2288034
We have daschund clubs here too. Full of self serving people who loath eveyone else who don't have a daschund and self validate their vacuous lives.
>>
>>2288035
Heh.
Yeah, that's why I didn't mention my distaste for them. Where I am, it's more like everyone wants to breed them.
>>
Somewhat new owner question here - is it possible for a dog to become un-socialized?

I adopted a middle-aged doggo a few months ago and he's been great. Previous owner said he was socialized, and he definitely never really barked or growled at any other dog at first.

However, my neighborhood is apparently full of unsocialized little chihuahuas and sweater-wearing shitty toy dogs that go apeshit at any other dog that passes nearby. Some are fucking little mine bombs that don't do anything until I let my dog come close, before they suddenly explode and lunge at him.

My doggo used to pretty much just stand and stare and ignore them, even when there were two or three little chihuhua shits going at him, but lately it seems like he's been starting to growl or bark back the moment one goes at him or sniffs him in the wrong place.

While I don't blame him for getting aggro back, do I have to worry about the tons of unsocialized dogs in the area ruining my dogs temperament?
>>
>>2288090
Take him for a walk in a park , where you can find socialized dogs. That might calm your dog a bit. Can't blame your dog for being aggressive if those toy shits are messing with him.
>>
File: IMG_0677.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0677.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
My hyperactive Jack Russell (3yr) drops a fuckton of hair. What do?

Fucking bitch that hates clothing related.
>>
>>2288129
Isn't that natural , anon? She drops hair all the time or just a period?
>>
Just got a 7 week old heeler border collie mix and was wondering if anyone here has experience with em. Been a long time since I had a pup and curious if there's like a booru or general training guide
>>
>>2288175
All of The fucking time.
Several baths and brushing do nothing.
>>
>>2288129
jesus christ anon trim those fucking nails
>>
>>2288129
feed her better food
>>
>>2288195
>7 week old heeler border collie mix
first off you don't get a dog until they're at the very least 8 weeks old. nice job fucking up your dog's psyche though, A+ work

look up proper crate training. get your vaccines ASAP and listen to your vet.

I assume you got this from a shitty backyard breeder since no reputable breeder would let a 7 week old pup go. so get a fecal exam and get the puppy dewormed as well. keep an eye on their poops for any abnormalities.

general rule for walks for a puppy: 5 minutes per month of age. so 2 months = 10 minutes, 5 months = 25, etc.

general rule for hours they can hold their pee: 1 hour per month of age. but that isn't a guarantee. you need to take the puppy out for potty breaks after every meal, every drink, every nap, and every play session.
>>
How do I stop my puppy from being an asshole to my older dog? Puppy is 3 months old and the dog is about 4 years. He will constantly try to play fight with the older dog, but last week he bit his cheek and drew blood.

The 4 year old is too mellow to fight back, and at most he will open his mouth and nudge the puppy, but it doesn't deter him.
Only solution we've found is that dog has a chair in the corner that he likes to sit in that the puppy cant jump up to. Thats where he'll go to hide when the puppy gets rough, but its not going to be a solution for much longer as the puppy gets bigger.
>>
If some person is a great dog owner in all aspects but they feed cheap dog food, is that bad? I love my dog but my rent went up and I can't afford fancy premium kibble anymore.
>>
hey all dog lovers. i'm currently in the middle of researching different breeds with the hope of getting a dog in the next year or two. i've had my sights set on corgis for a really long time due to their adorableness and obedience but considering how expensive they can be and the fact that it would probably take a long time for me to get to the top of a corgi wait list i've become more open to other breeds. i really love golden retrievers too but i would prefer a dog that's smaller just in case he ever got aggressive or needed restraining. so i figured i'd ask you guys: what are some breeds, preferably no more than 35-40 lbs at an adult weight that are highly obedient? any that are at a golden level? i considered getting a miniature poodle but i'm already gay and i just don't want to look like a stereotype. anyways thanks a bunch and i'm looking forward to reading the responses. to reiterate i really want an affectionate, obedient dog like a golden that's smaller/lighter, thanks again
>>
>>2289306
forgot to mention, i don't want a really tiny dog either. something preferably the size of something like a shiba or a corgi or even slightly bigger/smaller. no chihuahuas/shih tzus though
>>
>>2289306
also interested in a breed that's manageable for a first time owner/doesn't need an insane amount of exercise. something that requires less maintenance than a border collie
>>
>>2289306
>>2289307
>>2289312
get a mutt, they're more healthy.
what is it with americans and inbreeding dogs?
>>
File: beanbag doggo.png (477KB, 619x622px) Image search: [Google]
beanbag doggo.png
477KB, 619x622px
My dog is scared of hair brushes/grooming gloves. I've been working on desensitizing him by leaving the brush next to his food bowl for the past few months. We've progressed to the point where I can put a treat on top of the brush and he'll come over and eat it before retreating. I'm not sure how move further from here, especially making that final step of touching him with the brush. Any thoughts, /an/?
>>
My dog is doing this thing where he won't settle down, hovers around the door, and whines a lot. At first I thought he needed to go to the bathroom so we took a walk. He takes a crap, we walk more, and come inside. But then when we get inside he starts doing it again.

Any idea what this is?
>>
>>2289312
First time owner? Don't get a shibe. They're cute but they're little shits and really like to test you. Frenchies don't need too much exercise and are pretty mild-mannered--maybe a little stubborn, but I've only ever met super well behaved ones. Goldens and labs have great dispositions as a whole and are very unlikely to show aggression if you care for them and socialize.

Basically: What's your budget? Are you willing to shell out health insurance if you get a breed that's rife with problems? How much time are you willing to spend exercising your dog a day? How many hours will the dog be alone per day, especially as a puppy? Do you have the budget for a doggy daycare or a dog walker?

You didn't really give us a lot to go off of if you want legit recommendations.
>>
I was eating a big piece of bread and my dog jumped up and snatched it out of my mouth. Teeth didn't even graze my face.
>>
>>2289485
i know not to get a shiba. i said a dog around the size of a shiba that's low maintenance and intelligent. it's plenty to go off of. i know the costs associated with dog ownership and i gave plenty of things for you to go off of. medium sized dog. high obedience. not super high maintenance. like what the fuck else do you want me to tell you? i'm not asking for you to tell me whether or not i need to get a dog walker or how many hours alone i'll be jesus christ those answers won't change regardless of the breed i get because guess what? it'll be a fucking dog that'll need exercise and will need to be checked up on several times a day you fucking mongoloid so either use your brain and give me legit recommendations or sit the fuck down and shut the fuck but because i strictly said i don't want a dog the size of a golden and frenchies are deformed little fucks
>>
>>2289667
Calm down son.

Just get a mutt, they're healthy, and tend to be low maintenance.
>>
>>2288959

I'm of the opinion that as long as it's not bottom of the barrel with low nutritional value to cost ratio, then you're doing right by your dog. A mid aged dog will probably do better than a puppy or old dog due to differing nutritional needs.
>>
>>2289347

Maybe a very delicious treat (like dog ice cream) that takes a few minutes to get through while gently touching the brush to him? Not brushing him, just touching then working up
>>
>>2289467

It's a ghost
>>
>>2289667

>this ass blasted

Better not get a puppy if your fuse is this short, my dude.
>>
>>2289667
Go with a corgi you cock
>>
My dogs stomach is gurgling loudly, and now he sits in my lap feeling down. Something I never see him do.
What do I do to help him? I've taken him to walk, and gave him enough water and food, but hes not taking any nor is he pooping.
>>
DidnĀ“t know thatw e had an board like this. Go figure.

Anyway, glad I found it.

My brother got a dog recently. He is really lively and energetic most of the time. Only problem is, even if we take him out to the garden or on walks, he still poops or pisses onto the ground of the Living Room or other places in the house. I told my brother to raise him better, but can anything else be done for it to stop?
>>
>>2289736
How do I train my dog to bust ghosts?
>>
>>2289749
Take him to the vet for sure.
>>
File: 1479868815201.jpg (32KB, 480x465px) Image search: [Google]
1479868815201.jpg
32KB, 480x465px
What kind of dog should I get?

First time dog owner.
I'd prefer a larger dog. I know they don't live as long so I'd like to get a younger one.

Should I just walk into the SPCA and adopt something that looks interacts well with me?
>>
>>2289803
Labrador/Golden Retriever
>>
>>2289312
I would suggest a spaniel. They're medium dogs and sweet as hell. My uncle has owned two and they are just the best. They're also very obedient and make pretty good hunting dogs so they can be protective when they need to be.
>>
>>2289667
Actually just don't get a dog. A punching bag sounds more like something you need.
>>
>>2289667
Don't listen to these fools
>>2289727
>>2289740
>>2289746
>>2289958

Sounds like a pitbull would be more to your liking if you want affection and obedience.
>>
Does anyone have experience with bleaching a dog's anus? I've got a white shepherd with a nice coat, but when his tail's up there's his dark brown pucker just is so incredibly distracting/gross-looking.
Can you do it yourself? Have some of you done this before?
>>
I've always taken care of family dogs/cats and done pretty well, but I've recently adopted a dog and she has terrible leash discipline. On top of that when she sees another dog she completely loses her shit, barking/yelp like I'm beating her or something. I've tried calming her but nothing works. Any advice?
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (119KB, 1000x784px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
119KB, 1000x784px
I got a female great dane pup for christmas. How do I train a dog?
>>
>>2287978

Fishmonger here. Mercury is typically only present in dangerous levels in higher predator fish; the higher up the food chain, the higher concentration of mercury. Do you know what kind of trout is in it? Is it farm-raised or wild?
>>
File: SnowPup_S-5.jpg (474KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SnowPup_S-5.jpg
474KB, 720x1080px
a pic of my pupper earlier, plopped himself down in the snow and I couldn't resist grabbing the camera
>>
>>2290048

>alert ears
>relaxed but alert expression
>soft snoot
12/10
>>
>>2289667
"Less maintenance than a border collie" is such a sweeping statement. Just wanted more clarification. No need to get your panties in a bunch. You didn't even specify what maintenance would bug you--is it grooming? Exercise? Training? What? You're gonna have to spend time training it and walking it and, depending on the breed, grooming it.

And, yeah, your answers should affect what kind of dog you get if you actually give a shit and want a pet rather than an accessory, ya goof.
>>
>>2290048
That's a nice doggo.
>>
>>2290034

Idk what her temperament is like but if you're home often enough, don't use a food bowl and reward with food.

Invest in teething toys and puzzles.

Punishing a dog for shitting in the house is useless. Take her outside after you feed her, after playing, when she wakes up, and every half-hour. When she squats, give a potty command and reward her heavily. It's going to take a while longer than beating the shit out of her for going inside but it'll make it stick and you'll avoid fear-pissing.

Dogs don't understand you. You'll have to show her what she needs to do; example is putting her on the floor when she crawls on you instead of screaming "down!" like she's gonna look at you and go "oh yeah my bad."
>>
File: photo_2017-01-01_00-52-31.jpg (103KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-01-01_00-52-31.jpg
103KB, 960x1280px
do u like my dog
>>
What are some treats that your dogs like? Mine really likes carrots and she LOVES bananas. When it gets hot outside again, I want to freeze bananas and make her PB + banana "ice cream."
>>
>>2289667
>>2289987
Better yet, adopt one from a shelter. There are plenty available in the inner cities.
>>
>>2290322

He's got great taste in cartoons.
>>
>>2290331
Blueberries, apple slices, cheese, salmon jerky.
>>
File: 1226161305-1.jpg (1MB, 1844x2712px) Image search: [Google]
1226161305-1.jpg
1MB, 1844x2712px
My poor puppy won't stop chewing her leg.
Treated for flees and can't find any on her but she just won't stop chewing it raw. It's been infected before so we took her to the vet and the vet put her on anxiety meds.
Didn't seem to help a whole lot. She still gets scared when anyone comes over and we'll find her in the back room chewing away.
Do you think a thunder shirt would work?
>>
>>2289799
He keeps acting even crazier. He started to lightly bite me in my sleep and moving my arm With his paws and sniffing me over like a madman. Hes never done this before. Any advice?
>>
>>2290547
How did your vet know it was anxiety?

A thunder shirt will work less than meds if it IS anxiety. You need to tire her out more. A tired dog is a calmer dog. Get her into a routine.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How do I get my puppy to stop biting me?
>>
>>2290331
"people food" treats:
bananas, thinly sliced apples, watermelon (his favorite), pumpkin, nonfat plain yogurt, nonfat cottage cheese

my "ice cream" for my dog is greek yogurt + banana or pumpkin + powdered peanut butter (all the flavor and literally none of the fat)

dog treats:
treats from smart cookie barkery (particularly those with salmon), freeze-dried chicken/beef livers, freeze-dried chicken breast, dried fish skins, charlee bear treats, and bully sticks
>>
>>2288033
My dog started not being able to hold her urine when she slept over night. She used to sleep on my bed but I had to stop that even though I knew she liked it so much. The last night we had her before we put her to sleep i put down a bunch of towels and let her sleep on my bed.
>>
>>2288033
Incontinence is sometimes a sign of something beyond just old age. You should have her checked out, anon.
>>
File: IMG_0129.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0129.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Should I be worried?
>>
>>2290773
Warts are caused by a virus that could or could not cause cancer so

VET
E
T
>>
>>2290777
alright. We'll take him soon. Thanks.
>>
File: tumblr_oem5lmP79z1s7p1n4o1_400.jpg (63KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oem5lmP79z1s7p1n4o1_400.jpg
63KB, 400x533px
>>2290777
my pup is covered in warts, but for his breed i think that's kinda normal
>>
>>2290855

Do warts appear more on short haired dogs than long haired dogs due to sun exposure? Or do long hair doggos hide it easier?
>>
When did you switch to senior dog food?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I've never been to this board before and I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but could someone maybe diagnose what is wrong with my dogs paw? I thought it was a snakebite and I have him some Benadryl, but the swelling hasn't gone down. Any ideas? Pls help.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2291000
>>
>>2291000
Hold it in a bowl of ice water for a few minutes. Gentle massage while you're doing it. If it doesn't go down in about twenty minutes, get to the vet.
>>
>>2291000
>>2291009
also if behavior changes. Lethargic, wobbly, trouble breathing, obvious pain, etc
>>
>>2291010
He's not walking on it and it doesn't seem to hurt him too bad when I put pressure on it. It's obviously uncomfortable for him though. Thanks for the ice thing, I'll do that and report back.
>>
>>2290856
i've never had anything other than short haired, so i don't think i'm the right guy to ask, but i would suppose that long haired dogs hide it easier, never heard anything about warts happening due to sun exposure before.
>>
I've had my dog for almost a year. I've trained him to be very obedient off-leash; there's a consistent distance he can be away from me and he knows not to exceed it. The problem is, he is less playful at the dog park now because he is very aware of how far away from me he is. Has anyone had this problem? I don't know how to communicate that it is ok to run wild when we are at the dog park.
>>
File: 1430081417440.jpg (32KB, 283x424px) Image search: [Google]
1430081417440.jpg
32KB, 283x424px
Is it true that you should always eat before your dog does? Or is that just a meme?
>>
>>2291427

It's just a meme. The man that wrote the dominance theory that most practices such as eating before your dog stemmed from has long since admitted he was wrong and his research was faulty.
>>
My dog just knocked over a bottle with lamp oil. It spilled and licked the oil. The bottle says "HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED". He is a small 5 months old Shih Tzu.
My parents were taking care of him but they're just laughing about it. I'm telling them that we have to take him to the vet but they don't seem to care as much as I do. My father doesn't believe that the oil may be fatal, even though the bottle says it can be.
What do I do?
>>
>>2291766
Dig a hole.
>>
File: Scruffy.jpg (27KB, 230x346px) Image search: [Google]
Scruffy.jpg
27KB, 230x346px
R8 my doggo.
>>
>>2291829
I thought they were bred for hunting badgers? Aren't sighthounds used to hunt rabbits?
>>2291843
9/10 pointy ears. Would be 10/10 if they were a little bigger

>>2291848
> I don't like it when their tongues hang out though
fake doggo fan detected
>>
My dog is dying :(

Had him for 11 years. This sucks so much. He's trying to keep fighting to stay alive but idk if he'll make it till tomorrow. This is so sad I think I'm going to tear up

I knew it was coming for months now but I feel terrible
>>
>>2289803
Adopt a greyhound. They are low maintenence and normally have been trained by previous racing owners. They are mainly couch potatoes which makes dealing with exercise needs easier. Biggest things are they may not do well with cats or small dogs, have relatively delicate skin (can't play rough with biting) and they require a specific type of collar and often clothing when it's cold.
>>
Any good trainers here
I am a professional animal trainer but not with dogs obviously, stupid question but for potty training a puppy when do you bridge
Right when they start to go or when they are done going?
>>
Getting a German Shepherd pup in June, senpai

So fukn excited
>>
>>2291929
If you decide to put him to sleep, just make sure you are by his side.

I am sorry for your loss, anon.
>>
>>2291766
What happened?
>>
>>2288090
Let your dog rip them to shreds. Those shitty toy races should all be exterminated. Give him treats to show he did well.
>>
My mini schnauzer gave birth to 5 pups. I transformed an old book shelf into their living area.

Everything was going swell, but after 4.5 weeks they became very dirty fucks. They play with the dirty puppy pads and sometimes sleep in the refuse area I set up for them.

What's going on here? I try to keep them as clean as possible and move them to their bed whenever I catch them. But everything happens during the night. It's gotten to the point I had to bath them in several occasions to get the shit off.

They were doing great after the third and a half week.

>tl;dr: How do I teach my 5 week old puppies to stay clean again?
>>
File: giphy.gif (210KB, 212x158px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
210KB, 212x158px
Female dog, spayed, no signs of mounting and/or humping for half the year that I got her. She's now 1.5 years old. Why does she do it now? From other dog owners in dog parks and on the internet, most say that it's just "dominance" but there's also stuff saying it's masturbation. So which one is it? And I'm literally the only being dead or alive that she humps. Won't hump other dogs or other people.
>>
>>2291766
VET
E
T
>>
File: IMG_1035.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1035.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
One of my grandma's dogs is cooler than I'll ever be, and he knows it, too.
>>
First time buying a dog, should I spend over $1000 dollars on a breeder's dog? I feel like since it's my first dog I should get a mutt because I am inexperienced. My main concern is if my dog will be healthy or not
>>
File: IMG_20161122_203350.jpg (885KB, 1627x1627px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161122_203350.jpg
885KB, 1627x1627px
Please help should I get my pupper spayed? How much will it change her personality?

Pros:she hates being locked up while she's in heat and gets really depressed during this time, so that would be avoided. Also don't have to worry about boarding her in an emergency.

Cons:Los of energy, gets fat easier, not as happy?
>>
My dog is about 9 years old. I've noticed his black eyes are getting blueish

What does this mean. Old age?
>>
>>2290048
You got an eye for pictures.
>>
>>2292433
Are you breeding your dog? If no spayed.
>>
>>2292392
>Healthy
Get a mutt.
Breeders, backyard or not, inherently cause genetic defects and health problems.
>>
File: 1440006066621.jpg (31KB, 545x467px) Image search: [Google]
1440006066621.jpg
31KB, 545x467px
Male Siberian Husky. 7 weeks old. same birthday as me $750 should I buy
>>
>>2292919
Well by asking that kind of question you have proven yourself to be an idiot so I say go for it.
>>
File: owehfwueogh.jpg (107KB, 680x454px) Image search: [Google]
owehfwueogh.jpg
107KB, 680x454px
Can anyone recommend a good /out/ doggo? I live in Alabama, since climate matters when choosing breed (I think). I've been wanting an Australian Cattle Dog to hunt and do general /out/ things with, but recently I've heard they're pretty aggressive. My next choice would be a Norwegian Elkhound but I don't know how well they would take the Alabama summer heat.

Thanks in advance
>>
i want a pupper

no shelter has puppers near me

what do
>>
>>2292927
expand pupper search radius or buy from breeder
>>
>>2292923
how
>>
>>2292927
Wait for pupper season (summer)
>>
>>2292924
my aunt has a blue heeler and its the most annoying fucking dog on this earth

she's bad at training the dog tho so i wouldnt worry if i was you assuming you plan on investing time and money into training the dog

what about a viszla or a pointer?
>>
>>2292923
Is it really so hard to be nice in a advice thread?
>>
>>2292928
>or buy
$100 is too much for a pupper, let alone the insane prices I see for some breeds

I will expand pupper radius

>>2292932
there's a pupper season?

does it rain puppies? is that when all the puppies are born?
>>
File: wallhaven-10726.jpg (399KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-10726.jpg
399KB, 3840x2160px
>>2292939
I've looked at pointers but, and you guys probably will shit on me for this, I choose doggos by looks as well as ability. I like GSPs but...they just look kinda...off.

I don't care how well a breed does in a certain category, If I don't like how it looks..its a no go.
>>
>>2292940
Wait nvm 7 weeks
>>
>>2290322
very much
>>
>>2292924
Ausfag here.

I have a couple of ACDs, they get a bad rap for being aggressive, but it's entirely caused by people cooping them up for their entire lives.

If you train it, keep it company and take it out (especially for hunts), it'll be a fantastic dog.
Remember, they're as intelligent as a Border Collie and can run three times as far, don't underestimate how much you will have to commit to it.
>>
>>2292951
That was my worry. I do have a decent yard, and I definitely have time for walks.. but I don't want to dedicate my life to making sure the doggo isn't bored and destructive.

I may have to look into different breeds.
>>
File: 5-sidesitting[1].jpg (88KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
5-sidesitting[1].jpg
88KB, 680x453px
>>2292942
here's a dog that is like a gsp but a little different
it's a belgian shepherd (malinois)
>>
>>2292953
That's gorgeous. Will look into them
>>
>>2292952
yeah I would really not recommend that dog for you then
>>
>>2292960
ty for the insight anon :)
>>
>>2292941
Wait for late spring to late summer. It will rain puppers. Assuming you haven't found one before then.

Alternatively, take a nice road trip down south where it's puppers season year round.
>>
>>2292952
Yeah, unless you have a farm or are willing to RUN the dog for at least a couple of hours a day, it will not be the right fit.
>>
hey guys I want a lazy dog that lounges around the house instead of wanting to do stuff where do I start?
>>
>>2292968
go to pound, adopt medium age mutt. boom
>>
>>2292968
Great Dane
Laziest cunts around.
>>
File: IMG_20170101_134130_01.jpg (496KB, 1634x1817px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170101_134130_01.jpg
496KB, 1634x1817px
Ey guys
I plan to adopt a German Shepherd pupper in a few months
I don't know anything much about dogs so please fill me in thoroughly

The only thing I did some research about was neutering because the adoption agency makes you sign a clause you'll neuter the dog
Because of this I didn't adopt through them because neutering makes the dog more prone to certain problems (and in my opinion you shouldn't fuck with the dogs natural state)

And as for exercise I can take him for 3-4 walks/runs a day

Ples advise
>>
>>2292991
Pls neuter your dog. Literally no downsides, all positives. Less aggressive, (probably) won't mark.

If you don't neuter, you'll be back here in a month complaining about how it won't listen to you as its pissing all around the house.

If you don't know anything about doggos, you don't get to have an opinion m8y.

To continue.. read a couple books on dog training. Learn how to teach basic commands, and learn the proper ways to discourage bad behavior. Learn how to properly house train.

Look into common health problems, get all vaccinations as soon as you can.

Make a routine for your doggo and stick to it. A dog that doesn't have any confusion as to when it's gonna get walked and fed makes a happy doggo.
>>
>>2292997
All the people I know that don't own a dog and a few that do told me to neuter
Most other dog owners said that it's just a bit more aggression but it's not worth it

As for pissing and fucking, let dogga do what dogga wanna do
>>
>>2292998

Pls don't own a dog..
>>
>>2293008
It's scientifically proven that dogs, especially GSDs are way more prone to hip dysplasia and other diseases if you get them neutered
>>
>>2293017
If you don't wait until they're fully matured, sure. Wait to neuter until theyre like 2 ish years old. But do you want your doggo to be ridiculously territorial and have blue balls his whole life? Neuter pls
>>
>>2292998
you can make your dog wear a diaper so they can't fuck or piss everywhere

my friend tried that and I laughed heartily at the sight
>>
>tfw large amounts of snow + freezing temps = using the neighborhood's shitty fenced in gravel pit to exercise doggo today instead of a decent walk
>someone else had the same idea, cool, they can play together
>very energetic 1 year old dogs doing things that very energetic 1 year old dogs do
>bitch doesn't understand dog body language and assumes they're fighting because they're both being loud dorks
>"WE work with Michael at petsmart, he's very good. You know how to get dogs to stop doing that? You pull their hind legs, it confuses them"
>dogs continue to play, not fighting. My dog nips the other's tail, the other bites my dog's cheek skin. No crying, no obvious struggling on the ground, all in good fun
>"FUTZ. FUTZ!"
>trying to use training cues at the park when he is clearly engaged with another dog and will learn he doesn't have to listen
>"we have a one and four year old at home so he's very gentle, but he's a rescue so you NEVER KNOW"
>this dog isn't older than a year
>holds out a meat stick
>her dog jumps for it
>she kicks him
>"it's just the abdomen, I'm not actually hurting him"
>her dog doesn't want to deal with her shit anymore and starts playing chase with my dog
>she catches him with her foot and kicks him in the dick so hard he yelps

We left because we knew no matter what we did nothing would change. Call the cops, she just takes her dog and leaves. Try to correct her, and she repeats all the bullshit about how the trainer at petsmart knows so much more than me.

Trying to train an energetic husky/shepherd mix by kicking the shit out of it and then saying you've got two young kids at home. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>2293017
Only if you do it before the growth plates have closed, dumbass
>>
>>2293033
I mean, I do "corrections", which is if my dog focuses on something else (like a dog or some prey) I do an open handed tap to the side (sort of like what you do when patting them) to make her focus on me and what I'm telling her instead.

But actually hurting dogs? Nah, couldn't do it.
>>
>>2293049
>I do an open handed tap to the side

this isn't a problem and I do this too. my dog even gets a quick swat on the ass when I catch him in the act of doing something bad. never kicked my dog or hit him so hard he cried out in pain, though.
>>
>>2293072
See, I was reluctant to do it at first, but my vet advised me to.
She said it was about controlling their attention - you do it enough and they know that during walks that they have to focus on you and what you tell them to do,they are walking a lot nicer as a result.
>>
What are some tricks that I can teach to an eight / nine year old dog? Right now she knows touch, close door, sit, stay, lay down, release, identify items, high five, and speak. Anything else you guys recommend? I tried to teach her to get cans but she won't bite on the can, so I don't want to teach her anything she refuses to do.
>>
I got a 7 week old Beagle puppy almost two weeks ago. I know it was too early to take it from its mother, but it wasn't my choice... Anyway what might be the consequence of this? She is playful, social and doesn't show any signs of anxiety. I teach her basic commands and potty training and she's doing good. Trying to teach her not to bite too hard. We visited a vet, she was dewormed and had her first vaccinations. Is there anything else I should pay attention to?
>>
>>2293140
Puppy class for socialization. Please make sure you socialize well! It's the most important thing you can do for a puppy. Also a good idea to handle your puppies paws a lot and get them comfy with having their nails clipped.
>>
>>2292968
Whippet
>>
>>2293049

One thing my vet told me was to use only about as much force as you'd use to burp a baby.
>>
>>2292974

I hear greyhounds are also pretty lazy as long as you guve them a running outlet 3-5 times a week. Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_2715.jpg (885KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2715.jpg
885KB, 1080x1920px
idk if this deserves its own thread or not but yeah

my husky/pitbull (pic related) has ungodly amounts of energy. I can go on long runs with him and he's still running circles around me when we're done. And of course the extra energy he has makes it harder for him to focus on training and just not being a lil shit in general. So to burn off some of that extra energy I was thinking about getting into amateur agility training. Does anyone have experience with training their dog for this? If so, how did it go? and are the diys for agility equipment online any good or should I invest in the actual equipment I would buy online? I have 6 acres and storage space for stuff so that's not an issue
>>
>>2293073
Yeah, I do this with mine but it's never with the intent of causing them pain or discomfort as punishment, just to help them redirect their attention on me. If you have to do it so hard that you're actually hitting them then there's other training that needs to happen too because there's other issues at hand
>>
>>2292991
any decent shelter either makes you sign a clause like that or they will be neutered prior to adoption. Spay/neuter is a core value of shelters because idiots that don't do it are why they're so flooded in the first place. Reputable breeders will likely make you sign one too saying you will do it at X age unless you pay a fuckton more for breeding rights of the dog. The only shelters I've seen adopt out unfixed dogs were in the Deep South where the dog is probably already riddled with diseases and parasites anyway. Any reputable shelter will make you get them fixed one way or another

>unfixed GSD
all of the absolutely worst mannered, aggressive, neurotic dogs I've met at work or out and about were unfixed GSDs. Ugh

>>2293017
If you adopt a dog who was fixed by the shelter then they would have been neutered at a later age, which is what's advised to avoid that very thing you are worried about

also
>GSD
>no hip/joint issues
Pick one
>>
How do I get my bitch not to run and jump on other people?

She's a St. Bernard pup and I've got her to stop with me, but other people give her loving praise when she does it
>>
>>2293245
They are, and they're very cheap to rescue from race farms.
>>
>>2293517
You got to man up and tell them to not praise her for jumping. If they still do, beat the shit out of the dog when she jumps. It might make the people feel ashamed and guilty, maybe they won't do it again
>>
I just took in a 2 year old German Sheperd who was pretty neglected.

Any tips for helping him adjust?
>>
>>2293756
Safe room, easy access to water, scheduled feeding, lots of exercise.

If you're not able to be home most of the day, consider a dog sitting arrangement or possibly adopting a second dog.
>>
Any of y'all used chewy or petflow? I buy kibble at PetSmart right now but it would be nice to have it delivered.
>>
File: 20170107_092342.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170107_092342.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
This little dick refuses to poop when it's cold outside. We just stand there, freezing, then I drag him back inside.

How can I get him to shit without getting frostbite?
>>
I have a dog of almosy 3 years old (juat a year now, gf had him since pup) and he goes just badshit insane when seeing other dogs, barking lunging and shit. What do you do against this behaviour?

Some more info, we got another doggo like 4 months older, he can interact with other dogs, but if the other one starts, he sometimes gets riled up too and starts to join
>>
File: pup.jpg (2MB, 2560x1707px) Image search: [Google]
pup.jpg
2MB, 2560x1707px
rate my puppo
>>
Why do people get fucking ugly ass scrunched face dogs
>>
my dog was really excited and ran into a small table i have, it tipped over and fell against the sofa and he fell on it and snapped one of the legs

ive been stroking the area that he fell on and lightly pressing against it to see if it hurts but he hasnt reacted to it, is it possible that the pain will just come later if he has hurt himself?
>>
>>2293862
Distract them with treats. Get some really stinky treats and put them right in front of their noses right as they see another dog. Keep handfuls of treats in hand and lure their heads away from noticing the strange dogs. The more they ignore the other dogs the more treats they get.
>>
>>2294470
are you suyre? they might associate treats with aggressiveness
>>
>>2294315
because it's totally kawaii desu!!! xDD :3333

don't you just love genetic abominations?
>>
>>2294508
if you give them treats while they're being aggressive, sure.

you wave the treat in front of the nose and lead the nose so they aren't looking at the other dog anymore. you give them the treat when they're focused on the treat, not when they're focused on the strange dog.

be consistent. don't just try it for a day or two and quit if it doesn't work right away.

eventually start using a cue word like "look at me" or "hey look" when you give them the treat. that way when you say it later, they associate focusing on you with getting a tasty treat.

don't go for regular treats like milkbones on this one. use really stinky treats like dried fish skins or moist training treats.
>>
>>2293827
>We just stand there, freezing
do you mean you're letting your dog out in the yard or you're taking it on walks?

if you're taking it on walks you need to suck it up, bundle up, and walk until he poops, the same as any other walk.

if you're out there in the yard, get a doggie door so he can go whenever he needs to.
>>
What do you think about Dog Whisperer?
>>
>>2294622
Handsome guy for a mexico. Bet he loves to fuck those dumb american milfs
>>
>>2294622
>>2294625
Can I learn from it or is it mostly fake reality show?
>>
>>2294656
He uses many outdated training techniques and doesn't even do things correctly many times. He's considered a joke in the training community for a reason

If you're going to learn from a tv show at least watch it's me or the dog or something
>>
>>2294508
If you do it incorrectly yeah. But the point is to reward him before he escalates to that point so he learns that acting calm and ignoring dog = reward
>>
>>2294622
professional dog trainers are professional scam artists

incoming scam artists + post purchase rationalization butthurt at me for stating facts, enjoy wasting your shekels on pseudoscience like a New Ager with crystals.
>>
>>2290547
I have heard talk of chicken allergies causing this behavior. It's worth look.
>>
>>2294678
Yup, plus don't forget that vaccines cause autism and a toilet seat can give you HIV
>>
File: IMG_20170104_200129.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170104_200129.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
How do I stop the barks? He barks in his kennel at night if one of us accidentally wakes him up. He has a littermate and barks non-stop if he's left in the backyard without her. It's maybe separation anxiety? I'm not sure. He just wants to be on the couch 24/7.
>>
File: dog training.png (64KB, 414x323px) Image search: [Google]
dog training.png
64KB, 414x323px
>>2294816

The first scam artist is already demonstrating his butthurt at critique of his non-profession by using false equivalence.

Luckily, science succumbs to no logical fallacies spewed on 4chan.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nicola_Rooney/publication/261106650_Dog_training_methods_Their_use_effectiveness_and_interaction_with_behaviour_and_welfare/links/542e8ada0cf27e39fa962554.pdf

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1558787807002766

>Attendance at formal training classes did not significantly affect the total number of potentially undesirable behaviors reported.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0376635714002332

>Overall the results suggest that ratings made by minimally trained non-experts for most items can serve as a viable alternative to expert ratings freeing limited resources of highly trained staff.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159114000264

>While we did not find a significant difference between the two training methods with regard to simple actions, we found that subjects using the Do as I do method outperformed those using shaping/clicker training in the case of complex actions and sequences of two actions.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159111000876

>High levels of punishment may thus have adverse effects upon a dog's behaviour whilst reward based training may improve a dog's subsequent ability to learn.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159108003717

>In conclusion, confrontational methods applied by dog owners before their pets were presented for a behavior consultation were associated with aggressive responses in many cases. It is thus important for primary care veterinarians to advise owners about risks associated with such training methods and provide guidance and resources for safe management of behavior problems.

Dog behaviorists > dog """""""""""trainers"""""""""""

Know the difference between real science and scam science.
>>
>>2294860
You're not even making sense. You said "professional dog trainers" are scam artists, and now you're saying that it's just the trainers that use certain methods. If you're just saying that not all trainers are reputable and you should be careful who you choose and support, then yeah that kind of goes without saying. But to say all trainers are scam artists like you did in your first post is just plain wrong

and I would like to point out that the first study is questionable at best since it doesn't take into account that many owners just simply don't bother to continue training methods taught inside of the class outside of the classes or in the home. and it doesn't appear to go into the exact type of behaviors exhibited which is important info due to the fact that group training classes simply aren't good for curbing certain behaviors and better for others. If they looked at how many dogs had showed undesirable behavior after one on one sessions with a trainer and the owner actually continued those methods, it would be a bit more convincing

also
>bitches about logical fallicies
>all that ad hominem
>moving the goal posts
wew lad
>>
>>2292293
>masturbation
>dogs
what.
>>
>>2294934
>all of this no argument and attacking the source (because you know more than biologists, right?)
>uses logical fallacies he doesn't even understand
>refuses to read beyond the first link

I'm going to continue to actively encourage people to stop buying your services and listen to sense and there is no marketing scam you can pull to stop it. I hope your professional goes extinct by 2050.
>>
File: DSC00788.jpg (409KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00788.jpg
409KB, 1440x1080px
Getting a new dog in a few weeks after having lost our old friend halfway last year. Since my father is now disabled I want to train her right and not just as a lazy companion dog.

Any tips on the type of walking belt? Is a strangler ok for a 10 week old pup? Which collars/belts are most appropriate?

Pic related, it's her at 3 weeks.
>>
adopt don't shop
>>
>>2294946
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/mounting-masturbation-dogs
https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/problem-behavior/happy-hump-day
https://terriblyterrier.com/dog-humping/
http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/dog-behavior-why-do-female-dogs-hump-humping-mounting
You've never seen a humping dog before?
>>
What breeds should I consider if I want a dog that's suitable for an active lifestyle but isn't impossible to train? My aunt is running a small scale pug kennel so one of her pugs is living at mine and my girlfriends place, and we go on walks and do agility but that's pretty much it.

I want a breed that I can go on runs with and things like that, I'm thinking about getting one of the meme breeds like a goldie, german shepherd or husky. I'd love a husky but I don't think I have the means to own more than one of them which they need since they're a pack dog.

I'm not a big fan of terriers but I might consider them. Is something like a samoyed difficult to raise?
>>
>>2295055
If you've got the time and patience to exercise it and train it, a border collie will serve you well.

They're really smart and very energetic. You just have to be careful around sheep. Even well trained collies struggle to resist the urge to chase sheep.
>>
>>2295068
Oh yeah, they're nice dogs, I'll have to look into it. I'm looking into something like a Finnish lapphund or Swedish vallhund, they're pretty common here since I live in Sweden, but I think I'd prefer a mid sized dog after being around pugs for so long.
>>
what big ass dogs do well in hot fl weather? i heard mastiffs but they are too lazy for me. i also have a border collie and it would have to keep up with us.
>>
>want to get a dog
>rent a house
>rental agreement wont allow certain breeds
>those certain breeds are all that can be found at shelters
>breeders around here want $1k+

wat do?
>>
File: IMG_4933.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4933.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
R8 my Chihuahua hes a big guy
>>
if we breed a wolf with a dog, their offspring will be fertile, but wolves and dogs are considered different species. What now? How does biology answer that?
>>
>>2295193
2/274, would punt.
>>
>>2295148
>renting
>>
>>2290661
Immediately pull your hands away and tell them "NO". If you're playing with them, stand up and end the play there.
>>
>>2288949
>Dog Cuck Stool
Sounds pretty nice actually.
If your older dog is a male, then get another female dog later on that the he is hopefully interested in. Then let the young dog cuck him, that will teach him
>>
>>2289999
I've heard from an acquaintance in the bestiality industry that they often use the same products that people use for this exact purpose.
The cosmetics/skin product industry tests their stuff on animals anyways, so the effects are the same.
>>
>>2295201
>what are ligers, mules, or zorses
>>
>>2289999
Try leading her with something tasty like a piece of ham.

>when she sees another dog she completely loses her shit
Sounds like the dog has had some kind of trumatic experience. A few months of active dog therapy might help soothe the reaction. If it comes down to it, consider using sedative medication.
>>
>>2295266
those are born infertile, wolf dogs are fertile.
>>
>>2295201

Homo Sapien breeded with Neanderthal. The definition of "species" isn't always so cut and dry.
>>
Can someone explain why breeders charge so much? Is there a way to find breeders that don't?
>>
File: 20150316_172341.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150316_172341.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2295237

Yes I just moved across country, I didn't want to jump right into a house.

My last dog died in August too :(
>>
>>2295336
health tests, veterinary bills, food, supplies, and taking 8-12 weeks off of your job is very expensive. breeders don't usually make all the money from a litter back even if each puppy is 1.5k.
>>
>>2295119
dogo argentino? anybody had one?
>>
>>2295336
Don't buy puppies off breeders, Go somewhere else
>>
>>2295336
Compensation for the time invested when you do a proper job of raising a litter, also because a breeder doesn't have many litters a year unless they're running a huge scale kennel

>>2295489
Stop posting any time
>>
What's up y'all need some help! Any dog experts out there that can help me find this breed? May be mixed not sure thanks!
>>
>>2295513
Does it have papers? If not then technically it's a mix.
You may know it's a purebred, I may know it's a purebred, but without the paperwork you can't prove it. Therefore it's a mix.
The only time this matters is for breeding and showing/competitions anyway.
>>
I have a beagle and he spends most of his day sleeping away from the rest of the people in this house despite always inviting him. Is there a way I can make him open up more?
>>
Looks like a Weimeraner, albeit quite a strange looking one.
>>
How to get a dog to run/ jog? I tried running my dogs and one of them just refused to continue after a while. Any advice on how to get her to keep going?
>>
File: IMG_2713.jpg (90KB, 582x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2713.jpg
90KB, 582x800px
How do you train and reinforce an "off switch" in a puppy?

My current dog came by it naturally since puppyhood; sleeps by my feet calmly until I'm off work and he can sprint around chasing rabbits.

I don't really know where to start with a pup from a higher energy breed. My hope is that it'll pick up the behavior of my 3yr old dog, but how do I best encourage the process?
>>
>>2295556
Let him find it naturally but if it's running around like a mad bastard, get its attention every now and again and pull focus back to you with some training. If you give it lots of praise and rewards it learns that giving you attention and sitting still equals food / belly rubs etc
>>
I'm looking to get a dog since my my last passed away, she was a Staffie, but i'm looking to get something different
Maybe a Sheepdog type breed or something similar but I can't decide, what would you guys recommend?

>>2289347
What breed is he?
>>
>>2295551
Who are you talking too?
>>
>>2294976
That's a super cute pup
What breed?
>>
Do huskies need to live around other huskies or will they accept other breeds as a part of their pack?
>>
Should I get an older dog or a puppy from a breeder? Never had a dog before, and I'm researching a lot, just wanted some opinions from this gen
>>
>>2295556
>off switch

strict routines. if a puppy knows he's going to get designated playtime he'll have an easier time waiting for it.

I discovered this when my schedule changed after I got mine. for a while, I would work until the early afternoon and then go to classes at night. that time inbetween was designated solely for playing with my dog and tiring him out.

when my schedule was able to be changed so I rarely, if ever, went to class and work on the same days, he was ingrained into the previous schedule. I found that even though I was staying home, he didn't really perk up until the time I would normally get home from work, and he mostly slept until then.

your older dog will rub off a little on your puppy, but a strict schedule of playtime/downtime is what will really set it in stone.
>>
I need some help. I just got my puppy (10 weeks, lab) 4 days ago now and when I lay down for bed or start to wake up from sleep my pupper gets super energized and wont stop biting me. My face, arms, legs, anything and when I try to get him to stop by giving him another toy he disregards that and keeps trying to bite
It hurts, what can I do?
>>
I'm gonna be getting a Belgian Malinois pup in a few weeks, i've never had a dog like it before though

What would be the best things to train her to begin with?
>>
Just thought I'd share a story with you because I'm all up in my feels remembering my childhood doggos.

>female Akita (big American Akita)
>best way i can describe this dog is snarky with a penchant for stealing food
>known to drink out of fridge door water dispenser
>day after thanksgiving
>sitting with collection of food stuffed neurotic relatives on couch
>one pie left in kitchen
>catch doggo sniffing around entrance to kitchen
>shoo her
>she shoos
>don't notice her 95lb fuzzy tailed ass sneak around the dining room table and slink into the kitchen
>doggo used sniff
>it's super effective
>a wild pecan pie appears
>doggo jumps up
>doggo gently grasps front of pie tin in mouth
>doggo stealthily lowers pie tin to floor
>doggo proceeds to demolish pecan pie

Annoyed at lack of pecan pie, impressed with doggo's cunning

>be in high school
>same Akita
>doggo is goofy, floofy attention whore with a penchant for stealing hearts
>sometimes can be overly friendly
>as in, she won't leave new people alone until she's had her butt sniffs and head pats
>invite high school friends over to house
>new member of the group, he's a mild THAT GUY
>THAT GUY shows up last
>Akita has had sufficient head pats from rest of group
>Akita now requires head pats from THAT GUY
>THAT GUY misreads life-of-the-party-doggo Akita as angry attack doggo
>THAT GUY runs around around couch with Akita on his heels in hot pursuit of affection
>this goes on for several minutes while everyone else laughs hysterically
>THAT GUY finally realizes he's not in danger and acquiesces to demand of butt sniffing and head patting
>and that concludes another adventure of the exceptionally friendly Akita

I'm in my mid-20s now and I really want a dog, and I'm almost to the point where I can afford to take care of one and commit. I know I should rescue, but in my heart I want another Akita. Every one I've had has just been ridiculously intelligent and had a good temperament. Plus they're beautiful.
>>
>>2296202
Train it to shit outside
>>
File: 20160916_103654.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160916_103654.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
Hey guys, not sure if you remember my post in that shitty thread about a guy feeding his dog raw chicken, but I was asking about my pup and her diet of boiled chicken/white rice/yogurt after seeing blood in her stool with normal dog food.
So, 6 months ago, we saw blood in her stool when we were feeding her all kinds of shit, (pupperoni, red bell peppers, tangerines were her fave treats) and we had her on a wet/dry mix of regular dog food. When we saw blood, we took her to the vet, stool sample came up with blood in it but no worms and no parasites. We started feeding her the chicken/rice meal Fastforward 6 months and we were still feeding ot to her cause she seems to like it and our cat gets some chicken giblets. I asked in the raw food thread about this diet and the general response was that the chicken/rice should be a temporary thing.

So I gradually switched her to a 70/30 dry food / chicken rice, and the bloody stool came back today. Keep in mind we've tested for like everything under the sun -bar an xray.
>>
>>2287555
How would I go about training my malamute to cuddle me while I sleep? I want to be the little spoon. 5'6'' btw
>>
>>2298046
Post vid of dog fucking you
>>
File: IMG_1274[1].jpg (256KB, 1034x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1274[1].jpg
256KB, 1034x1600px
Bought one of these for my dog. The filling is "brown rice and bull pizzle" so I'm not concerned about that bit, but how safe are these cattle shin bones?

My dog chews for endurance, not power, I guess, but he's still got some big jaws. I'm concerned about chipping/splintering. He already got a big chip off of it about half the size of my pinky nail. I haven't let him chew it unsupervised and took it away to give him a break since he'll chew for literally hours if I don't (he's currently pitching a tantrum as I put it somewhere he can't reach).

Likelihood of these things breaking and becoming a choking/stomach perforation hazard?
>>
>>2298038
>gradually
how gradually?

had her stool been normal at 50/50, or runny/loose?

if it was normal at 50/50, go back to 50/50 for a while.

what brand is the dry food? what is the main source of protein? if it's a red meat you might need to (gradually again) switch to a white.
>>
>>2296047
When your puppy bites you and it hurts, immediately yelp loudly and exit the room/stop play with him. This is the way other puppies and litter-mates would go about it. I prefer not to do the tongue holding/hand in mouth thing anymore as this method works better to make the puppy have bite inhibition.
>>
>>2294958
You'll sound like a crazy person to anyone who works with dogs anon
>>
File: 20160916_103607.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160916_103607.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
>>2298114

>>2298038

My dudes, I messed up on what we are currently feeding her. We are feeding her chicken/rice 80% with a 20% of science diet GI dry special food. We feed her morning and afternoon. The food is not red meat based.

Her poops aren't especially runny or anything, just normal doggo poos, but with a little blood on the outside.

Thank you for the help, my dog means the world to me.
>>
>>2298298
>normal doggo poos, but with a little blood on the outside
that sounds like it's an asshole problem, not a GI tract problem

honestly, I'd get a second opinion from a different vet at this point since the last one appeared to just tell you to give your dog chicken and rice without any followup.

if you're more inclined to wait, and there's no other problems (vomiting, lethargy, personality changes), I'd go back to a lower amount of the new food until her poops are back to normal again and do the switch even more slowly.

since you need a prescription for the special science diet, see if you can at least get a prescription for the canned stuff. I know my dog did very well on that when he had parasites and it's slightly more nutritious than just chicken and rice. the reason so many people chimed in that your dog's diet needed to be changed is because it doesn't provide enough nutrients by itself and that can lead to worse problems. I remember one anon here saying that a relative fed their dogs only bland diet + some vegetables and the dog's bones became so weak that its jaw basically disintegrated.
>>
>>2298298

>>2298317 here

just did some googling.
>If the dog's stools are well-formed and have fresh blood on the surface, this can be indicative of the presence of a rectal polyp, which is an abnormal growth. When the stools pass over the polyp, which is highly vascularized, it will bleed.

your vet happen to do an anal check on your dog, or just a fecal exam?

if your dog's poops are bigger/firmer/more coarse than they were on just the chicken and rice, they could be intermittently irritating a polyp
>>
>>2298050
Wtf am I gay
>>
Whats a good antiflea/tick medicine or applicator for the dog? What about that heartworm medicine? Does a dog need that too?
>>
>>2298895
Heart worm medicine is needed if you live in areas where there are mosquitoes.

I don't use flea/tick medicine regularly. Dog came to me with fleas and I got rid of them with lots of hard work. Don't think we've had a case of Lyme disease in my state since 1998 so I'm not taking a huge risk on ticks either. It depends on where you live.
>>
>>2298913
I'm in florida, I think she needs flea medicine when she goes to the dog park and theres mosquitos here
>>
File: IMG_20170115_233241.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170115_233241.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Just adopted a new pupper.
She doesn't want to move at all. She seems scared as fuck. Wat do?
>>
>>2298952
leave her alone and relax

she's in an entirely new place and you're bugging the shit out of her. let her adjust. be cool man.
>>
>>2298916
you will definitely need heartworm medicine, then. don't get heartgard or anything with the same active ingredient--it's been overused and strains of heartworms are building up an immunity to it. ask your vet for an alternative brand.

I can't offer an opinion on flea/tick prevention since I use it so rarely (fuck yeah for arid climates), so some other anons should chime in on that one.
>>
>>2287850
I'd advise you get to know their body language. A lot of it is getting to know it intuitively through interactions but I think reading up on it might be enough for you.
If you don't want to be close to dogs watching them from a distance might be enough too.

As someone who grew up around dogs I'm having a really hard time dealing with cats because I do not understand their body language. They are too sporadic for me.
>>
I have a dog who is getting quite old. We dont know how old, because the shelter found her on the side of the road with no ID and we adopted her from there. Lately she has started losing weight fast. We started mixing high calorie puppy chow in with her regular kibble, and soaking it in water to soften it up for her old mouth. Any suggestions on a cause?
>>
>>2299125
Also, we are taking her to the vet in a week to get her checked out. Our best guess for her age is 12-14 years old. She is a chocolate lab x pitbull.
>>
>>2292316
Anon, please, that dog is seriously cool you need to stop pussyfooting around the issue and take it to the vet ASAP.
>>
>>2299125
Losing weight for no apparent reason even though she's eating more calories?

Cancer desu
>>
File: IMG_7232.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7232.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
My dog is a little weird about some stuff --- he can't let things go. A few days ago, he dropped one of his balls down a turtle hole and has absolutely REFUSED to play fetch since. It's usually his favorite game and he loves it more than anything. You can throw a ball but as soon as he realizes it isn't the same ball, he drops it and goes to search for his special ball. He's also insane about the laser pointer. If you even jingle the keychain on it, he will rush in from the other room and he'll go nuts looking for the dot. Special Ball has since been recovered and all is well, but i'm wondering if his tendency to be unable to let go of things is indicative of any problems that I should be working on with him.
Do you guys have any similar experiences or any reason to think that this is cause for concern?
>>
File: IMG_7237.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7237.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2300148
After spending 40 minutes of my life digging the ball out, he can rest easy at last.
>>
>>2300148
>cause for concern
nah. could be doggie OCD if there are other things he's obsessive about but you didn't mention, but unless he exhibits severe anxiety in other areas of his life there's no reason to worry.
>>
Sadly I can't let my new dog inside the house at night because of my cat and as a result he keeps barking all through the night.
He hasn't been desexed yet but once he is I plan on letting him come in at night.
Could I please get some advice from fellow dog owners on how I can get him to adjust and stay calm.
>>
>>2300528
Or am I asking too mush of my new doggo?
>>
>>2300528
>>2300537
Just in case some feels like biting my head off.
I don't enjoy making him stay outside but He's previous owner wasn't kind to him and locked him in the bathroom all day and didn't train him or walk him at all.

I've training him and walking him twice a day but I can't get him too relax and I feel like a bastard not letting him inside.
>>
>>2300540
>walking twice a day
>can't calm down

He's not getting enough exercise to calm down. Take him running. Take him to an enclosed area outside and play fetch with a ball launcher. Take him to a park if he's ok with other dogs.

Two walks a day might barely meet the needs of a well trained dog but it won't tire out a neurotic one. He needs to do some sprinting around.
>>
File: jay jay.jpg (34KB, 511x702px) Image search: [Google]
jay jay.jpg
34KB, 511x702px
The biggest problem I have with my dog (Doberman mix) is that he very very sensitive with his nails, to the point I have to hold him down for someone else to trim them.

(I know I could bring him to a vet, but ya know, cheapskate.)

My family and I are hesitate to do this process anymore because he would become more scared of us. It is possible it could do with how he got shot (bullet is still in there, but the vet said removing it would cause more harm than good) when he was a ghetto dog. When we rescued him he was a nervous wreck, now he is a big lovable pansy who loves cuddles and is bullied by our cats. I don't want him to fear us like his probably abusive owner from years ago, yet his nails are really too long to be unconcerned.

TL;DR
Dog freaks out when cutting nails, have any advice?

(pic is him)
>>
Hey beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_jW0J2l9so
Source
>>
>>2300623
they have to get done, plain and simple. you could try lots of things, like the thundershirt, or anti-anxiety pills from the vet (though you did say you're a cheapskate).

at some point they're going to be so overgrown that it's going to be difficult to trim them safely without hitting the quick. get a grinder so you won't hurt him at the very least.

also, start touching his paws more often. the more familiar with the sensation of his paws being handled he is, the less he'll freak out. this will take a long time though and might never be remedied.
>>
>>2300623
Counterconditioning
Start very gently associate his favorite treat with you touching one paw
Touch his paws more while feeding him for being calm
Pick up one paw still feeding him
Manipulating his nails
Holding paw with the clippers in your hand
Clippers on nail
Clipping.
Days/months timeline depending on how things go, don't progress to the next step till he is relaxed and happy with the current step. Try to start your training after his nails are freshly trimmed so you have some time to work on it and hopefully his next experience will be all positive. If you held him down to clip them mid-training it would really mess with your counterconditioning

Positive reinforcement training can do amazing things maybe in a year getting his nails clipped will be one of his favorite activities
>>
>>2300623
Follow up from >>2301025
This video shows a good run through of approximations that will probably be more advanced for your dog, you will probably spend much longer on the first step and introducing the clippers. Clicker not really necessary just feed at the moment he clicks instead
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MuXwKqXTBsE
>>
So my dog managed to break into my pantry and drank almost 20 fl oz of vegetable oil.

She was sick as sick and throwing up according to my roommate, I just got back but shes looking ok now.

How worried should I be? WhT should I expect over the next couple days?
>>
>>2301673
Expect liquishits for the next few days.
How big is the dog, if it's small, see a vet and get a blood test, that's a lot of calories.
>>
gonna be a first time dog owner cause a friend is gonna give me a lab pup. researching right now about training etc. but i just wanna know how much i have to commit in regards to exercise once shes an adult.. i know i'll have time to do active activity.. just wanna have an idea what its gonna be like.
>>
So my dogs got fleas and now I'm in the market for a product to remove them.

What's a good product to get rid of fleas? Looking for somethig that works actively and not just for one day. I've heard of vetguard and frontline plus but which one is better? Is there another better product?
>>
>>2289467
Have you given him any anti flea stuff? That can cause it, same thing happened to my German Shepard Elizar. If it is some flea medication then stop and try a different brand.
>>
>>2289749
bring him to the vet -_-
>>
File: aG0QDBw_700b.jpg (81KB, 700x615px) Image search: [Google]
aG0QDBw_700b.jpg
81KB, 700x615px
>>2289997
jesus fuck anon, no.
>>
>>2291929
The puppers getting old. Spend as much time with him, treat every walk and moment from now on like its the last. Savor his remaining days. I wish you and your doggo luck, anon.
>>
>>2292991
dont get kibble that has corn and shit in it (purina)
So just research on which ones are good.
>>
>>2294314
10/10 qt what breed?
>>
>>2287858
Read stuff online it's not too difficult to know if a dog is anxious/scared and ready to defend itself
>>
>>2288090
Your dog is just laying the law and getting the other dogs socialized. The owners will probably get really annoyed and claim your dog is attacking them, but in the end its good for the other dogs.
>>
>>2288129
Those nails fuck.
>>
>>2288363
7 weeks is the the new 8 weeks. It's better for dogs.
>>
Does heart worm medication and flea medication actually work?

Heart worms are rare as it is and I can't imagine how some chewable tablet can cause something to kill a parasite for 2 months

as for the flea/tick chewable tablet thing. It makes the blood taste bad? I'm not buying ticks which lodge in the animal are going to give a fuck

So does this shit actually work?
>>
>>2303498
Wrongo.

12 weeks is actually the best time. The extra month is when they really start to learn appropriate play and bite inhibition. 8 weeks is the absolute bare minimum.
>>
>>2303551
>Heart worms are rare as it is and I can't imagine how some chewable tablet can cause something to kill a parasite for 2 months

Heartworm isn't rare in humid, hot areas with lots of mosquitoes. Unless you live in a very arid climate with little to no mosquitoes at all, heartworm is quite common.

And I'm not sure which brand you're talking about, but most heartworm medications are monthly, not every two months.

In addition, they don't kill the parasite if it's already implanted, they prevent it in the first place. Long-term doses of heartworm medication are commonly used as a less invasive/aggressive method of treating adult heartworm, but that practice is contributing to certain strains of heartworm building up immunity to those medications.

Can't speak about flea meds though. I use the stuff you apply to the skin.
>>
>>2303551
>It makes the blood taste bad?
No you numbnuts. It makes their blood toxic, so when a flea or tick snacks on doggo, they die. And yeah it works. I keep my dogs on it and the only fleas I see on them are dead or dying.

And heartworms are common in certain climates. Some places, like Florida, the dog should be on them year round. You should consult with a vet you trust to determine if and when your dog should get them.
>>
>>2303732>>2303743

I'm just puzzled as to what exactly it is that they are eating and is staying inside of them a month that is lethal to different things?
>>
>>2303749
Why do vaccines only have to be updated every few years?

Why can a hair test tell if you've smoked marijuana in the past year?

It stays in the body for that amount of time.
>>
>>2303938
A vaccine changes the immune system by introducing a dead virus that the body learns to fight off

A hair test can be done because the oils around the follicle are not easily removed

But none of those stay in your blood stream for a month
>>
>>2295201
Wolves and dogs are members of the same species, just recently they found that dogs are a subspecies of wolves.
>>
>>2303963
I thought the more modern theory was the dogs and wolves are descended from a common ancestor... not that dogs descended from wolves.
>>
>>2303969
If they're so common then why aren't they around?
>>
>>2303969
That's entirely possible, but we're not quite sure yet. Also, like another anon said species isn't all that clear-cut as they're divided by their ability to interbreed. Right now they're classed as the same species.
>>
What a shitty day.

I have three dogs, and two have been having dominance issues. Two of the dogs are the same age and get along fine. One dog is younger and picks fights with one of the older ones. Their ages are 5, 5, and 3. Mostly the fights are just growling and the occasional posturing. The older dog is much beefier, but better mannered. He rarely starts anything, but is likely to win if it did come to blows. This has all developed within the past couple of months and was never an issue to this point. Only once has it resulted in injury to one dog, and the older one beat the tar out of the younger one. The dominance issues subsided for about a month after that and I had hoped they had gotten it out of their system.

Today two of my dogs broke out of the underground fence (one tore the collar off the other). This is not generally an issue, although obviously it isn't good (I live on about 40 acres and the yard is about 3 acres, a little over 1 is inside an underground fence). Sometimes late at night if there are a lot of deer in the area, one will charge through the fence then wait on the other side for somebody to let them back in in the morning. Never had any serious issues and it's not common. Had the fence 3 years.

Today the two dogs that bicker went across the farm over to one of the renters and killed their poodle. The poodle was on my land (well, the renter is my land too but you know what I mean) although much closer to its house.

I got the call about it from two sheriff's deputies I know (I work for a state agency but work with them often and know them well). I'm going to buy the guy another dog, but it's shitty for him especially but I just hate I am going to have to put two of mine down most likely.

To make it worse apparently when the deputies arrived, they transported the dogs back to my house (they knew the dogs were people-safe) and the two dogs got to fighting and tore each other up. No excuse for their conduct but I still hate it.
>>
File: 2012-12-22 22.59.25.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2012-12-22 22.59.25.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>2304071

I'll add the dogs are all mid size, the older problem dog is a lab/pit mix of some sort with something else mixed in, and the younger dog is a blue heeler / aussie mix. They were all rescues that I had from when they were very young.

Looks like the older dogs are actually closer to 4 years old based on the picture from when they were puppies, so the younger one is probably 2. The one on the right is the older problem dog. The one on the left is much more docile and has never shown any indications of aggression, nor have either of the other dogs fought him.
>>
What are some good resources to learn how to properly train and care for a dog if you've never done it before.
>>
>>2287850
Cats are assholes imo
>>
>>2290570
take it to the goddamn vet
>>
>>2292433
I don't think it really changes their personality (my dog acts the same after she's been spayed). It would probably best to do it.
>>
Holy shit /an/ons, how do I get my fianceƩ's doggo to stop getting in every trash can?

He's a beagle/dachshund mix but we've tried big trash cans, pedal trash cans, pop-top trash cans, scented bags... I can't think of anything else, and our roommates keep bitching about him getting in the kitchen trash (though I blame their cat).

Help?
>>
I feed my dog Royal Canin Medium but it's pretty expensive and I'd like to save some money. What are cheaper foods that have had AAFCO feeding trials done? I don't care about grain free since she has no allergies.
>>
What's the best thing to do when a puppy goes over their excitement threshhold? I was walking my boy and there was just too much going on; he began misbehaving and the only thing I could do was short-leash him and march him home.

I'm already back to walking him when it's quiet out, and he knows leave it and stop, but is there anything else I should be doing?
>>
>>2306334
eh, it just happens sometimes. it'll happen less often as he gets older/more socialized/more experienced. then it just becomes a funny memory.

when that happened to my dog at home (overtired from training/exercise and he made it home before exploding), he'd get put in his crate for a little time out with a blanket covering it so he couldn't see out. 99 times out of 100 he'd fall asleep within 5 minutes.

when it happens in public and you're far away from home...it didn't happen too often for me to offer any good advice. I would just say let it run its course. last winter was my dog's first winter, and it was particularly brutal so he wasn't getting good regular exercise. when I finally was able to get him on a 30+ minute walk, we were 3/4 of the way home when he just had a fucking meltdown. started trying to sprint everywhere, choking himself on the leash, running around in circles, doing fucking somersaults in the snow, then he started digging and digging and digging and digging and then...slowly...stopped...and...laid down and closed his eyes. he was that overtired since he had gotten used to the tiny winter walks we'd been doing. had to carry him the rest of the way home.
>>
When I touch my doggo's back or butt his hindquarters just kind of sink to the ground. He doesn't seem to have any control over it, since he'll sometimes try to keep walking even as it happens. Any idea wtf is wrong with him? Is this some kind of weird reflex?
>>
>>2306255
Put the trash can where the dog can't get too it or get a trashcan the dog can't get it. Fuck this shit ain't hard.
>>
File: IMG_20170127_100932432.jpg (998KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170127_100932432.jpg
998KB, 1456x2592px
>>2306285
here's a picture of her.
>>
>>2306354

Just knowing it'll get better with practice helps. He's 8 months old and when he's alright, he's a fantastic walker but when he gets overstimulated I feel like a parent with a toddler in meltdown mode.
>>
Just moved to a farmhouse with my 9 year old dog. The new property has lots of goat heads and thorns around. Her and I both keep stepping on them. I'm obviously fine but she is a small dog and her paw pads are already becoming dry and sensitive from the change in terrain.

Anybody know of any good oitment or salves to put on her paw pads to help protect her feet from damage or keep them from drying/cracking? I know this is kind of oddly specific but she loves to run and play in the yard and I would hate for the tough grass and stickers to keep her indoors.
>>
>>2306557
>8 months

yeah, the winter story I typed up matches that exactly. he was about 8-9 months old at the time. here's a picture of him from about that time last year.

he's almost 2 now. he did a little bit of zooming today because it's--again--been a brutal winter and today was the first day in a while we've been able to go on a long walk. he found a sandbox in the park and fucking lost it for about a minute. guess this is just how my winters are gonna be from now on unless we move somewhere warmer.
>>
What's the realistic minimum space I would need for a smaller (corgi) dog? Am I out of my mind to try and make my 100m3 apartment work?
>>
My dachshund has this swelling on his neck (or throat) and it's soft.

He doesn't feel pain when i touch it and he seems energetic still. Should I be concerned? I don't know if this swelling will go away aftet some time. Help
>>
>>2307047
if you can live in it he can live in it.

you gotta give him enough exercise though. that's the key. any dog can live anywhere if he's getting enough exercise. a corgi will require a lot even though he's small. they're herding dogs. you need to exercise both their bodies and their brains.
>>
I'm going to be getting a Dutch Shepherd soon, around September/August time

My only problem is, I'll be starting College around that time, but the dog will have people in all morning still, and I was planning to come up at lunch to take him/her out, the only problem is after that time, as we'll all be out after 1/2 O'clock and at earliest someone isn't back until 4ish/ late 3'oclock

Would it be a good idea to get a second dog so they wouldn't be completely alone?
>>
Should I ONLY get pets from Kennel club assured breeders?
>>
>>2300148
laser dots can kinda fuck dogs up, since they can never catch it they may become stressed wrecks. Would suggest that you dont use it :/ But cute pit though.

>>2298298
I hope your pup gets well, keep us updated.

>>2298959
this

>>2307468
Nah, odnt get two dogs at the sametime, especially with college starting. Too much work. Tbh I'd get doggo after college. But otherwise staying home a few hours isnt that huge a deal, pup might pee during that but in a few weeks it will be fine. Consider that most people getting dogs arent total NEETs and still have to work while the puppy is growing.
>>
>>2307610
thats kinda the lowest minimum requirement, even that doesnt guarantee much.
>>
>>2307794
Thanks, I was just worried about it, since I'll be training him/her but I was just worried about leaving them alone for just a couple hours, but i'm guessing once it get used to the schedule they'll be a bit better
>>
>>2307796
Ah okay, just there's a breeder i'm looking at who aren't assured but looking at their FB there's quite a lot of people giving them good reviews etc and have been for years for the pets and training they give so i'm just curious if it'd be good to go with them or look for an assured breeder
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.