[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dog is going to have his hind leg amputated tomorrow. Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

My dog is going to have his hind leg amputated tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with caring for pets with amputated limbs? Any advice?
>>
Although the limb is no longer there, the nerve endings at the site of the dog's amputated limb continue to send pain signals to the brain that make the brain think the limb is still there. Sometimes, the brain memory of pain is retained and is interpreted as pain, regardless of signals from injured nerves. In addition to pain in the phantom limb, some dogs experience other sensations such as tingling, cramping or heat in the portion of the limb that was removed. Any sensation that the limb could have experienced prior to the amputation may be experienced in the amputated phantom limb.
>>
>>2287467
My cat had a rear leg amputation. Handled it fine. Much easier than a front amputation. However always watch closely whenever he's out in the yard or playing with other dogs. You never know when something will go wrong.

My cat would still try to scratch his ear with his missing leg
>>
>>2287472
How long did it take your cat to adapt to the amputation? Was it a difficult process?
>>
Just got him back from the vet. It looks absolutely horrible. Should never have happened.
>>
>>2287467
I had a dog with a rear leg amputation. Just giving you a heads up because no one told me, amputation takes a toll on your dogs lifespan. For right now, give him a little bit of time and he'll be back on his feet in no time. My dog was still half-shaven from the surgery when we adopted him and he walked fine. It is likely his remaining leg will become weaker since it's taking the brunt of the weight, so in the future you may want to get a doggie wheelchair. We considered that for our dog, but by that time he was already deteriorating quickly from cancer. Basically, once he's back to walking normally, he'll be fine for some time, we had ours for 5 years before anything went wrong, and it had nothing to do with his amputation.
>>
>>2288581
Don't worry man, it looks way worse than it feels for them.

Cats and dogs are absolute pros at handling amputations and it barely affects their lifestyle. I've had both an amputated dog and cat and neither cared a single bit about the missing limb after it was healed, they still played and went on with their lives normally.

Humans have a retarded sense of "prejudice" against disabled individuals because we're far more complex than just limbs, so we project our insecurities onto ourselves/other people when we have to deal with amputations. Dogs lack a sense of pride in personal image so it's as if you shaved their fur, they just don't give a single fuck.
>>
>>2288592
I'm trying, its just hard to take in seeing him in this condition. He was a shelter dog who was severely abused by his previous owner which left him with really bad social anxiety to the point where he'll spend most of his day hiding from his fear of strangers. The fact that it happened makes me feel like I've failed as an owner as an already damaged dog now has it even worse.

It would never have happened had the vets actually not charge obscenely high amounts to actually fix the leg in the first place. I was always against the amputation and still am, but I was not the one paying for the treatment so my say never really mattered.
>>
>>2287473
He was up and eating the night after surgery when he woke up. He was walking around when we took him home the day after surgery. He was 18 when he had that surgery, I imagine a younger animal would adapt faster.
>>
>>2288581
Also, it will look like shit for like a month or so, but it heals and the fur grows back. My cat got this really soft curly hair over the place where his leg was, couldnt even see the incision. The real healing begins after the stitches are removed, then it starts to heal pretty fast. I'll see if I can find a picture of him with his no leg.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.