[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a reason not to harm insects? They have no feelings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 1482423771412.jpg (120KB, 1200x479px) Image search: [Google]
1482423771412.jpg
120KB, 1200x479px
Is there a reason not to harm insects?
They have no feelings or emotions, they are just biological robots that move in random pattern and react to food and threat
>>
>>2285091
They're cute and an important part of our food chain
Killing bugs means you kill bats
>>
>>2285095
Not just bata but a whole species of reptiles and amphibians
>>
>>2285099
Then we have bigger insectivores like pangolins and anteaters going down the extinction train
>>
>>2285095
well, i dont wanna kill all the bugs.
I just argue that there is nothing wrong with killing an insect when it annoys you
>>
>>2285102
I mean kill mosquitos all day if you want, fuck those parasites
But there's literally nothing wrong with any other insect
>>
>>2285106
I'm with you with the mosquito killing, 2 can reproduce by the millions to the point there's an over abundance. African people even catch swarms and turn em into patties https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DQeyjgSUlrk

I don't think we can actually kill em all due to their reproduction rate. I use to kill em with zap rockets everyday back in south east asia, and when you think you purged em all, more come out later in the day
>>
I save my insect killings for potentially dangerous ones (Bark Scorpions) or infestations and annoyances (Roaches, Flies, Mosquitos)
>>
>>2285091
It's not too harmful but when I kill an insect I prefer to put it in my collection afterwards so I can preserve its beauty.
>>
>>2285091
I don't know anon, is there a reason not to just go outside and break shit since objects have no feelings or emotions?

Christ the fucking edge on this board lately.
>>
Insects are so prolific that humanity couldn't wipe them out even if we tried. Don't take any guilt in killing bugs, whether you kill one or 10,000.
>>
>>2285091
I try not to kill living things, but if I don't have a choice (safety, or severe inconvenience) I'll do it. Usually I just bring whatever it is to my cat so he can do what he wants with it.
>>
File: DSC_0165_c_mini.jpg (43KB, 600x540px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0165_c_mini.jpg
43KB, 600x540px
Pain is just an electrical reaction in something called a brain, so how does that make an advanced animal any different from an insect?
>>
>>2285644
>Pain is just an electrical reaction in something called a brain, so how does that make an advanced animal any different from an insect?
Insects literally don't have the receptors to feel pain
>>
>>2285654
But they can feel panic and fear
>>
>>2285091
>Is there a reason not to harm insects?

Nothing to do with pain or feelings or robotness

With most insects I simply enjoy their company so, no, I'm not going to fucking smash them.
I'm going to say hello, see if they'll let me pick them up in my hand, or find out if they are hungry. Especially the more perceptive they are, I generally relate to them better; wasps and mantids really seem to pay more attention than most.

https://youtu.be/dczkx4fRRNc
>>
>>2285111
This made me physically ill.
No wonder there are so many diseases that come from Africa.
>>
>>2285378
>killing insects is edgy
m8
>>
I have no issues with killing pests, but yeah, I try to make sure it isn't wasted either.

Thankfully the local birds like tomato hornworms and have gotten used to me, so all I have to do is toss the grubs in the air and the birds will actually swoop down and catch them in mid-air. It's quite fun. The most hilarious incident was probably when I tossed a huge fatty that had murdered one of my plants while I was away and the little bird caught it only to end up crashing into the grass due to its weight. The little guy was fine, but ended up having to mutilate the worm first and bring it to its nest in installments.
>>
>>2286053
Killing a fly isn't edgy. Making a thread about how there are no morals preventing you from killing every harmless insect you see because you think you're all philosophical and rational and deep is pretty edgy.
>>
Another one of my spiders died.

They don't live much, so I accept that they will only last a couple of months, but it still hurts.

So I think you are a retard OP, no offense.
>>
>>2286002
it made the africans physically ill too
>>
>They have no feelings

We don't actually know that.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jan/cockroach-consciousness-neuron-similarity
>>
>>2286002
There is very little diseases that come from eating insects. Even in the US there is more illnesses caused by eating domestic mammals than eating African insects
>>
>>2285654
>>2285673

Entomologist here. Insects don't feel pain like we do, if anything, they recognize pain more efficiently than we do.

For example, if a human hurts their leg: "OH GOD MY LEG! OH GOD THE PAIN!" *rolls around on the floor*
If an insect hurts it's leg: "Something is wrong with my leg, I need to escape if I can an recover."

Insects still can recognize when they've been injured.
>>
>>2286512
took me a while to understand why knowing the origin of words makes you an expert on animals.
>>
>>2286727
It has less to do with the origin of words and more to do with the fact that I've spent years studying them, experimenting on them, and reading about them.

Git gud, casual animal fag.
>>
>>2286782
I was making a joke on "etymologist".
>>
>>2285115
>scorpion
>insect
>>
>>2285115
>>2285378
>>2285412
Don't fell bad about killing insects (even though I do sometimes). They are emotionless, and considering scientists estimate there are 10 quintillion insects alive on earth at any one time (10,000,000,000,000,000,000), you're not exactly in danger of wiping them out lol.

10 quintillion!!! That's an unfathomably large number
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.