[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying Reptiles Online

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

File: Jungle 800.jpg (139KB, 800x462px) Image search: [Google]
Jungle 800.jpg
139KB, 800x462px
I didn't really see a sticky anywhere so I just assumed I picked the right board. Anyway, does anyone here buy reptiles online? Is it better to find a small breeder type or use sites like undergroundreptiles.com? I'm looking for some specific types of snakes but that's only somewhat important.

While we're at it, anyone have personal experience buying reptiles in general online? post stories here. Other pets welcome too but I'm specifically interested in reptiles.
>>
File: jcps.jpg (769KB, 2391x1345px) Image search: [Google]
jcps.jpg
769KB, 2391x1345px
I've bought 3 reptiles online and have had great results each time. All from separate sources. The biggest thing I want to stress is do your research for suppliers. I was heavily considering buying from backwater reptiles because they were the first I found but they have extremely shady service.

I've bought
1 ball python from BHB reptiles
1 jungle carpet python from inland reptiles
1 razorback musk turtle from snakes at sunset

Shipping generally runs me $40 ontop of the cost of the animal but I'm in the US and since its currently 3:40am here on the east coast I'm going to assume you most likely arent so rates might vary.
For anything more than slightly uncommon I would look for specialty breeders though.

Heres my JCP since you posted one
>>
>>2284971
JCP's are what I'm most interested in at the moment. I have a male and female dumy that I want to try to breed at some point but I barely have 1.5 years of experience in caring for sneks. I also have 1 female ball, 1 male BRB, a juvy kingsnake and a male/female hognose. the BRB and hognoses I got from stores and everything else a friend gave me when he moved away. Also I'm from washington.

So, technically I inherited a lot of my herp knowledge but I've since gotten really into it and it's been an extremely enjoyable hobby. Also your JCP is adorable.

Here's my male dumy enjoying his new tank that I basically got on the spot when I found out I was "inheriting" him, lol.
>>
>>2284967
What you're looking for is breeders who specialize in only a few different species. The big reptile online shops that sell EVERYTHING, like Underground and BHB, are usually best avoided.

Check kingsnake.com classified section too. The site has a rigorous review section so you can vette the seller pretty well with that.
>>
>>2285301
As for my experiences, I have ordered a few times from The Urban Reptile and Northern Gecko (both in Canada) with good results and no troubles.
>>
File: IMG_0354.jpg (67KB, 437x468px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0354.jpg
67KB, 437x468px
I'm an experienced breeder and over the years I have sent and received a tons of live shipments. There's always going to be a risk. Make sure the breeder has a live animal guarantee, usually it will be 24hrs. Make sure you are home to be there when your animal arrives, I personally like to pickup my animals up at the shipping hub. Less time in the truck is always a good thing. One time the delivery guy left a package in direct sunlight and it cooked my animals.

Taking a video of you unpacking your new reptile is a good way to prove your case if you receive a sick or DOA animal. Immediately hydrate your animal by soaking or misting.

Purchasing from a big or small breeder, someone who has one or hundered different species, hasn't seem to make a difference. There are so many variables when shipping animals, its hard to say one clearly better than the other. Big breeders may have more experience but may not pay as much attention to their animals and if it's their main source of income they will do anything to make a sale but It can go both ways.

Personally, I like to buy at reptile shows. It gives a chance to see your animals before purchase, meet the breeder and there's no stress from shipment. Every state has one.

One last pro tip. Ditch the glass aquariums. If you're serious about breeding and I can't stress this enough, make caging your number one priority. Spend money on quality cages/rack systems, heat tape and thermostats. If there environments not right they're not going to breed.

Also carpet python and boas like humidity so use substrate that can hold humidity. My favorite is peat moss.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.