[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Extremely low maintenance pets?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

I am looking for a pet because I think it might make me happier. I am extremely busy with work so I don't really have time to take care of a traditional pet. Anyone know any cool plants that make decent pets? I was thinking about just having a pot of grass that I could water and trim. I couldn't find any stores that seed grass seed in low quantity and all the small pots I found were too expensive. Any ideas?
>>
>>2283003
sansevieria plants are super low maintenance and tolerate terrible abuse. They come in many varieties.

They're also on the NASA list of air cleaning plants.
>>
>>2283003
Plants are not pets, you'd be getting into gardening. I'd suggest a Venus fly trap. Feed it little bit of hamburger from time to time, water it, put a nutrient stick in the soil.
>>
>>2283003
Lucky bamboo, spider plant, and peace lily are also some very hardy houseplants.
A small fish tank with just plants could work for you as well, and give you some freedom to "landscape."
If you want grass specifically, look for oat grass seed on eBay. Ir doesn't last very long, though. If you want something that lasts longer you can get some monkey/mondo grass. It's usually pretty easy to find at pet stores in the aquarium section, and you can just keep it in a pot on the windowsill with some gravel, same as lucky bamboo. Grows too slow to trim, though.
The lowest maintenance animals I can think of are snakes and bugs, like hissing roaches. Or snails (aquatic or terrestrial). Pet snails are actually pretty comfy.
>>
>>2283024

Lucky Bamboo is fucking invincible

I got one from a family member and take absolute shit care of it and it's lasted eight years so far.
>>
File: 2207_P1050232_1.jpg (57KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
2207_P1050232_1.jpg
57KB, 600x450px
>>2283003
Peanut Cactus. Well-behaved, easy to train, gets along well with children.
>>
>>2283011
huh that was a fun thing to read, thanks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Clean_Air_Study
>>
>>2283003
Get a cat. They are low maintenance as fuck
>>
>>2283183
gross, no
>>
>>2283012
Hamburger is a risky choice, as it will often not be completely dissolved and make the trap rot. I'm not saying you can't use it, but the occasional bug is just as easy.

Also, they aren't that low maintenance. You have to keep that moist-not-wet balance.
>>
>>2283003
Take a tuft of grass from a lawn somewhere.

But more interesting, low maintenance plants are: Aloe. Almost impossible to kill. But also a bit boring since it will prolly never need pruning.

You could also go for Crassula. They can be kept in many different forms, don't need really need repotting, will grow in both direct and indirect light (some Aloes don't take well to too much sun).
I have a Crassula I've kept for two years now. I just keep it with two "legs" upright. Tiny and neat
>>
File: goog.png (1MB, 973x678px) Image search: [Google]
goog.png
1MB, 973x678px
>>2283003
what about high-maintenance but highly forgiving thing?
1. Look into aquarium landscaping with water plants only
- art, impossible to judge hobby with positive stimuli to get good
- oxygen (and calming bubble sounds if you choose cheeper air pump) in your living/sleeping room
- makes a dark winter room really comfortable
- upgradable to shrimp and beyond
tank thread has nice links on this
2. Hydroponics: hot peppers for example. Nerdy rip off, fun. Some of the things would need to be cross-pollinated by you with a cotton bud to get fruits.
3. Onions, spear mint, dill, you name it. A growing lamp and a long box. The cheapest and the most practical of all three but the downside is it's unsightly and sometimes stinks.
>>
>>2283012
>Hamburguer
>Flytrap
>Suggests a plant that is almost expert level
Nice advice, faggot.

OP, a tarantula can be a nice choice if you don't mind arthropods
>>
>>2283012
You can't touch the insect or food when you feed the Venus fly trap, also don't touch the plant. The oils from our hands can kill certain breeds of Venus fly trap.
>>
Get a Chia Pet
>>
Do you know why they catch bugs, right?

Ok I'll tell you, it's because they live in nutrient depleted soil. If you put a nutrient stick in the soil it will kill the plant.

Don't proliferate bum advice, cunt
>>
Rabbit. even the initial cost is low.
>>
>>2283077
>microorchidism.jpeg
>>
>>2283232
This is almost as stupid as the one WHO said you should give it a nutrient stick...

They are pretty hardy.
Kill cause nb 1) Not using soft Water
Kill cause nb 2) Over watering
Kill cause nb 3) He doesn't cut the flower off
>>
Aloe vera thrives on neglect once you put them in the right place, lots of indirect sunlight, I've put mine on the edge of the window sill and put a plastic translucent sheet between it and the window, haven't watered it in months.

Kalanchoe is hard to kill, it will live in a large pot after months without watering but it will look crappy. The flowers are long lasting, but will only appear if it gets constant bright lights and fertilizer with every watering around once a week.

For an actual animal, consider a beetle, there are lime size big and pricey ones like a Rhinoceros Beetle or a Stag Beetle (popular in Japan, Taiwan, and Hong Kong) you can probably get through the mail as an egg or larvae form.

Or you can buy meal worms from a pet store and raise them on oatmeal till they grow into grain beetles, about the size of a fingernail - my brother kept some as pets.
>>
>>2283853
My bad, I only heard the info from a plant guy I bought it off.
>>
>>2283003
You can't go wrong with a pet rock.
>>
>>2284435
He can't be a very succesful plant guy
>>
I for one filled a prestxel container with gravel and water and them introduced some verbal pool invertebrates(i.e. Snail,water fleas,copepods) into it and I have now had the most low maintenance pets I've ever had
>>
File: 7wsnmX2.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
7wsnmX2.png
51KB, 657x527px
>>2283003
Definitely Betta fish, all they need is feeding once a day, and start up costs are like $20.
>>
File: MorioBeetle.jpg (86KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MorioBeetle.jpg
86KB, 1024x768px
>>2284408
>Or you can buy meal worms from a pet store and raise them on oatmeal till they grow into grain beetles, about the size of a fingernail - my brother kept some as pets.

If you're going to do that you might as well go for superworms (morio worms). Pic related is the morio beetle. They're about 1.5-2" long or so.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.