[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fennecs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2290.jpg (701KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2290.jpg
701KB, 1920x1200px
Can anyone tell me all of the bad things and downsides about keeping fennec foxes?

Everything I read just keeps going on about how awesome they are and how they are no worse than a noisy ferret that likes eating bugs.
>>
They scream. They bite. They don't like being touched. They need a lot of space. They're extremely loud. They smell. They're illegal to own

Stop reading special snowflake pet articles written by hipster furries to justify them wanting a pet they shouldn't have. Foxes make bad pets. End of story.
>>
>>2281266
To be fair, if you do some research using google, it's easy to come to the conclusion that they're great pets. The only negative thing I saw about them when I searched was a YouTube channel, everything else was positive and said that they are legal to own in most states.
>>
>>2281268
Stop reading special snowflake pet articles written by hipster furries to justify them wanting a pet they shouldn't have
>>
>>2281270
That's what OP is trying to do, retard. They're specifically asking for the downsides to owning one because when you do research every article makes it seem like it's a cakewalk.
>>
>>2281268
>legal to own in most states
That's just a straight up lie. Don't believe everything you see on the internet
>>
This is the kind of animal that goes batshit insane from living inside cramped quarters with people. Please don't do this.
>>
They are loud. Have fun being reported for pet or even child abuse unless you live alone in the woods.
>>
Honestly I'm not sold on the idea but, ever since she found out they were legal here, I'm having trouble finding good points to argue against it aside from cost.

>>2281266
Do they draw blood when they bite or is it a warning snap due to not wanting to be handled? Do they randomly just run up to you and bite hard? This might actually be a good point.
How loud? Worse than peacocks, donkeys, and roosters?
How is the smell compared to a red fox or is it more like ferret?

>>2281467
How small is cramped? I only have a few acres to build on.
>>
>>2281917
they are a wild animal, you stupid fuck

just get a chihuahua and don't train it if you want a tiny, annoying canid
>>
>>2281917
They need to live in groups in a warm, dry climate.
They'll draw blood when they bite and don't like being handled. The only ones that do okay with humans were ones bred for fur production and have hundreds of years of domestication. Fennec foxes you buy are most likely gonna be wild caught or bred by idiots.

They smell like skunk mixed with ammonia.

A few acres is fine but don't get them they're shitty pets.
>>
>>2281992
Thank you for expanding on the details, is exactly the sorts of things I have been trying to learn about.
>>
>>2281919
There are plenty of people that own them and do good with them. Stop believing your retarded meme of "it's a wild animal therefore can't be remotely tamed and till kill your kids and rape your mom". That fear mongering is heavily exaggerated.
>>
>>2282006
It'll*
>>
>>2282006
>when you're triggered that the animal of your furfag dreams makes a shitty pet
>>
rename /an/ to /facebook - cats and dogs/

>What about a pet
>go on
>that is not
>go on
>a cat or a dog
>muh special snowflake muh furries
>>
>>2282009
>Implying this is the animal of my dreams and that I said it wasn't a shitty pet.
Kek
>>
>>2282040
Not even true, there's plenty of other pets talked about, but owning a fox or wolf is pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>2281266
>>2281595
>>2282057
Don't judge the fox's behavior as bad by comparing it against polite human behavior. If I choose to own a fox, I wouldn't communicate with it the way most pet-owning humans do because that would be silly. The fox wouldn't be ""my"" ""pet"", but an individual with whom I live. But I don't expect you to understand what a spiritual connection to foxes entails.
>>
>>2282062
please go back to editing your fursona you otherkin snowflake
>>
>>2282062
>a spiritual connection to foxes entails
self delusion, mental illness, and sex crimes
>>
>>2282006
This. Birds are louder and more destructive but they are still great pets for the right person
>>
>>2282074
birds don't stink, will hang out in a tiny cage and are physically incapable of pet fox level destruction
>>
>>2282075
>will hang out in a tiny cage

That's not humane

>incapable of the level of destruction that a fox can do

You've obviously never been around a pet bird.
>>
>>2282072
I tried /co/ once and they ban on sight anything that isn't their 5-6 circlejerk comics, and won't put up a sticky about how the board is a shithole.

It is time to rename /an/ at the top to /catsdogsonly/
>>
File: 1234360729966.png (350KB, 456x507px) Image search: [Google]
1234360729966.png
350KB, 456x507px
>>2282087
/co/ was love and your post makes me more sad than you can imagine.

That's the reason I go to /pol/ to try to take over the world.

And fennecs foxes are extremely cute but as neurotic as you can get, like a 11/10 in the woody allen scale.
>>
>>2282087
>>2282087
there's other animals discussed on here than cats and dogs. Hell, there were even decent fox threads until faggots became obsessed with making them pets. The response is so aggressive about this because there's multiple threads asking this exact same thing every week when the answer is always the same and the OP's response is almost always the same. It gets extremely old very quickly
>>
>>2281266
>>2281270
>Stop reading special snowflake pet articles written by hipster furries to justify them wanting a pet they shouldn't have.
Why would you post the same exact statement twice? Is that supposed to give what you posted worth? Fucking kek
>>
>>2282094
Nobody is forcing you/them to read or post in the thread. Your choosing to piss yourself off when you could have hidden the thread.
>>
Don't get exotic animals, there's a reason they aren't widely owned.

If you want a *unique* animal, get a rabbit.

IMPORTANT: don't get a rabbit cage. At the cheapest, get something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/BCP-80-Wooden-Chicken-Coop-Backyard-Nest-Box-Wood-Hen-House-Poultry-Cage-Hutch/50883380

Bigger than that is better, but a bun or too could live comfortably in that. Let them roam the house with supervision.

Get two or more, these are colony critters. The feed is cheap since they are small. They are quiet. They can be litter trained and the poop is manageable. They can be cuddled if socialized and taken care of. Rather cheap to buy them too, maybe $100 a pop at most. People will come over and think they are cute. They live a decent life span, not too long or short.

Breed is important. Bigger breeds are more docile. Lops are gentle and cute. Be careful that they don't have sex, they will find a way if you have a male and female.
>>
>>2282103
And nobody is forcing you to not listen to anything that has been posted ITT and still assert that foxes make even somewhat decent pets. All I'm saying is bitching that /an/ should be renamed /dogsandcats/ because people don't agree with your special snowflake bullshit about foxes is ridiculous
>>
>>2282105
Holland lops are great. Treats can be various fruits and veggies. Having them means I have more fresh produce lying around, so I tend to eat healthier too, lol. They are fun to watch, as they will bounce into the air and flop about when happy. Lots of "cute" behaviors you see in other animals, especially exotic ones, are actually misinterpreted symptoms or stress and neurotic boredom. Bunnies are one of the few you can smile at their antics and know they are genuinely feeling good.
>>
>>2282111
We talk about animals and nature. We don't have to like what others consider pets. There's no point in getting a fennec fox when dogs and cats have been domesticated for millennia. Do you want a fox to be an ok pet? Just get a dog or a cat. Seriously, what's the point of getting a fennec as pet when there are better options?

>>2281189
>how they are no worse than a noisy ferret that likes eating bugs.
Get a ferret then.
>>
>>2282192
I think you're responding to the wrong person. That's exactly what I'm saying
>>
>>2282079
>That's not humane
Neither is trying to keep a fox as a pet
>>
File: 1464748132778.png (55KB, 278x274px) Image search: [Google]
1464748132778.png
55KB, 278x274px
>>2282195
My bad
>>
>>2282074
Wow, so all birds are louder and more destructive than foxes?
My aunt must be a fucking master at training her pair of Gouldian finches.
>>
>>2282197
>keeping more intelligent birds in a cage is okay but not having a fox in your backyard

???

american logic: if i buy it in the store, that means it's okay!
>>
>>2282239
I already said it earlier. the content of the board has been decided, but they won't rename it or make a circlejerk sticky declaring what they like and don't like. same as /co/ where 99% of posts are deleted within seconds because they're not about the 5 piece of shit comics they masturbate over.
>>
I didn't know fennecs were real. I thought they were fictional made-up furry fandom creatures like sergals
>>
>>2282253
Are you the same guy who posted a couple weeks ago who thought eels were fictional animals?
>>
I love foxes. I'd love to own a vixen so I can say "clever girl" in a British accent when she does something impressive.

I'd treat it better than myself. But it's probably never going to happen.
>>
>>2282246
It's possible to like and appreciate an animal without having the compulsion to "own" one.
Fennecs are great, but they're not good pets. Same deal with sugar gliders and tigers.
>>
One more reminder that fennecs scream like unfixed tomcats day and night and your neighbors will report you thinking you are killing somebody.
>>
>>2281189
https://youtu.be/Su3ovMsFXMg

This is their "I'm excited/happy" noise. Before you look to get one, know that you will wake up to this every morning, hear it every time they want to play, and nearly every time someone walks into their room.

I love fennecs, and do plan on getting a fox when I have the cash to support one, but I would never get a fennec. For the love of God, find a fennec breeder and interact with one first. They are timid, skittish, and only like to be touched when in the right mood for it. They are no so much a pet as they are an animal who shares the same living space with you.

That all said, they are very cute, and when in the right mode, can show a lot of affection.
>>
>>2282105
I thought capybara was the best "unique" animal.
>>
>>2283345
>They are timid, skittish, and only like to be touched when in the right mood for it.

They sound like they're *almost* as shit-tier pets as cats.
>>
>>2283354
>trying this hard
>>
>>2283346
Capybara might still be hard to find vets for, and don't have that cute appeal that most weeaboos are looking for when wanting a fox or other "kawaii" animal.
>>
>>2283346
They are in the fact that as far as true exotic animals go they're really easy to care for and aren't aggressive shit heads. They will destroy any cloth in your house though to use as nesting material if you keep them inside to much.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.