[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here live in an area with coyotes? Are they dangerous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: coyote.jpg (321KB, 800x572px) Image search: [Google]
coyote.jpg
321KB, 800x572px
Anyone here live in an area with coyotes?
Are they dangerous?
I just moved to the middle of nowhere rural Georgia after living in Atlanta my whole life. It's currently 4 AM and it sounds like there are hundreds of them running though my yard. Me and my girlfriend are fucking horrified.
>>
>>2278606
it would take a fucking big pack of coyotes to be brash enough to take on two fully grown human beings

there's coywolves all around where I live, and they're not dangerous unless you're a child or small dog, they are scared of my german shep
>>
>>2278612
Dude there are so many of them outside. I'm surrounded by cow pasture on each side of my house and they just fucking swarm my yard at night. It's the first time in my life I've been explicitly aware of how much of a pansy I am for growing up in the city.

What other kinds of wildlife can I expect from extreme rural southern GA..?
>>
>>2278606

No, coyotes are not dangerous to humans.

They eat small animals like cats and smaller dogs. But they have no interest in humans, except for digging through your trash for scraps.

They do make some pretty unearthly sounds, though.
>>
>>2278621
Dunno, I'm from MA.
>>
Adopt a couple of hard holder type dogs, keep them on the leash untill the first coyote turns up then loose one of them then loose the other. Breeds to look at would be American Bulldogs, Pitbull Terriers, Dogo Argentino, Dogue de Bourdeux, Rottweiller, Bullmastiff etc
>>
>>2278637
I have two Australian shepherds but they're scared shitless.
>>
>>2278642

Aussies are usually smart enough to stay away from coyote packs, but some larger dogs can be lured out and attacked by packs of coyotes.

Keep an eye on them, OP.
>>
>OP is a gigantic vagina

Wow. Just wow. If I go outside, I'll see a cougar or two. A hick town, Oregon
>>
If you aren't a woman or small child they shouldn't be a big threat. Just don't let your pets out after dark or early in the morning In a coyote infested area, you'll never see them again.
>>
File: black coyote on stormy beach.jpg (355KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
black coyote on stormy beach.jpg
355KB, 1280x960px
If you live anywhere in North America, it's likely you have at least some coyotes in your area. Even in big cities.

Don't be horrified. They are largely harmless, especially to humans. They're naturally very shy animals, and it's -incredibly- rare for one of them to attack a human. If you're not scared of being attacked by a raccoon, you shouldn't be scared of being attacked by a coyote.

Coyotes' natural diet is composed mainly of small rodents and scavenged foods. They occasionally go after cats/small dogs if they are left unattended. And they might go through your trashcan for scraps. But that's really all you have to worry about from them.

Just leave them alone and they will leave you alone. And if you encounter one who is acting too curious for your comfort, it's very easy to spook them away. Just make a loud noise and threaten them with big movements/gestures, and start running towards them. They'll skitter right the fuck away.

Also, a big hint: the chorus of coyote yips/howls makes it sound like there are way more of them out there than there actually are. Two coyotes can make a racket that echoes and cackles enough to sound like there's a dozen of them. Honestly, I enjoy hearing it, I think it sounds really interesting.

>>2278621
>What other kinds of wildlife can I expect from extreme rural southern GA..?
Raccoons, possums, maybe a bobcat. I think there are black bears in GA too, but there aren't too many of them.

>>2278650
>dogs can be lured out and attacked by packs of coyotes
This is a myth. (Large) dogs are generally viewed as a curiosity/threat to coyotes. Dogs often chase coyotes and the coyotes feel threatened and defend themselves. There's no "luring" involved. Just don't let your dogs harass wildlife and you'll be good.
>>
They're only dangerous if you're planning on leaving pets and small children outside at night.
>>
>>2278606
Welcome to the country anon.
What>>2278715 said is very true;
>Two coyotes can make a racket that echoes and cackles enough to sound like there's a dozen of them.
Have you actually seen a large pack in your yard? I get them around my place but they mainly stay to the irrigation ditches between the fields. Having a dog keeps them at bay too.
>N Georgia woods
Snakes. I believe you have Eastern Diamondbacks and copperheads are abundant as well as some watersnakes. Best bet is to leave them be.
Black Bears are not common, but they are around certain areas. You would already know if you are in Bear country however.
>>
They are pretty harmless unless you are a small child or a pet. If you are in an area where you know you have them, or there have been a spate of attacks, don't leave your pets or small children outside alone after dark.

Beyond that, they are honestly pretty amazing animals. They are incredibly intelligent. They have been known to be able to watch other coyotes to learn behaviors, and are incredibly adaptable. If you look at their territory expansion over the last century or so, plus the emergence of the "urban coyote," it's hard not to be a little impressed by them.
>>
>>2278761
Any animal that can turn the expansion of humans into a benefit is impressive to me.
>>
I shoot them on sight. Ive watched too many of these tear newborn calves and fawns apart. Some while the mother was still giving birth to them. They got into my works farmhouse one night and killed 25 goats. If they weren't a carrier for rabies I'd sick my dogs on them and take pleasure watching my boys rip them up.
I figured out a trick to stacking bodies. If you gutshot the first one and let him howl, his buddies will come looking to see what's up. Then you just blast away. I can get two or three before they smarten up and bug out. Then you just wait an hour or two and start calling with a rabbit call. You get good money for the pelts during the winter. Specially if you know how to skin them. I had a guy that would give me 20 bucks a carcass and he would skin them himself. If I skin them them some years I can get 45 a pelt if its not torn up too bad.
Fuck those dogs.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevRb74GVe8

Let them in
lock the door
wait until they are your pets
sell at markup
>>
>>2278979
Kek I love this post
>>
>>2278606

Unless they are rabid, they won't feck with you. They'll eat your unattended toy poodle though. We used to have gangs of dogs north of atlanta that were much scarier. Now the best concern is poisonous snakes. Animal control will kill the snakes if you call them... they won't relocate or anything. Wish they'd at least give them to venom milking people, but I guess they don't need them.

I swear I saw a mountain lion at Lake Lanier, but have no proof.
>>
File: IMGP0431.jpg (183KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0431.jpg
183KB, 1000x662px
Nice thread. Coyotes are almost 100% harmless, they just won't go near people. I've lived with them my whole life and barely seen them. Only a handful of times, and even then it was just distant eyes in the dark when I'm out in the woods at night.

I've gone out with my recording gear a lot to record them. Enjoy it OP, sounds like you have more around than I do!

https://youtu.be/n6ot-qyC0O8
https://youtu.be/EAqB0iL1ZVI
>>
>>2278606
Wait, there are parts of the US that -don't- have coyotes?
>>
I don't live in your area, but where I live does have a lot of cyotes. Once they got their way into my chicken coop and ate two hens, but that's the only time they've ever done anything. Don't let your pets run around loose at night and you don't have anything to worry about. Hell, a big dog would likely not have any problems with them, but better safe than sorry due to them being a rabies carrier

>other wildlife
don't go poking any snakes or spiders you find and you'll be fine
>>
They will bully your livestock a little bit here in OK they are fair game year round if you really feel the need to get rid of em. My family doesn't but i know plenty of people that do.
>>
>>2278606
Christ. Your gf should find a man to date
>>
Just be glad they are killing some of the GOD DAMN DEER!!!! around your house.
>>
>>2278606
You'd do well in Denver, Colorado. Every few years the city undergoes "coyote panic" and the news outlets are flooded with stories of old ladies and weenies freaking out about spotting a coyote in a parking lot.
>>
File: satisfied coyote face 2.jpg (218KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
satisfied coyote face 2.jpg
218KB, 1024x683px
>>2278761
>it's hard not to be a little impressed by them.
>>2278965
Absolutely. I think it's fascinating.

>>2279159
Recording anon! Thanks for sharing your stuff.

>>2279416
kek'd
>>
>>2279605

I think the board you are looking for is /k/
>>
File: coyote leap silhouette.jpg (62KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
coyote leap silhouette.jpg
62KB, 800x449px
>>2279714
Not sure you meant to reply to me, anon. Because I dunno what you're talking about; I'm just here for the 'yote thread
>>
>>2278606
I live in New Mexico. We have tons of coyotes. Also road runners but Looney Toons does not represent them accurately.

Anyway, any wild animal can be dangerous. Let's just get that out of the way. Still, coyotes around here are incredibly skittish. Even the ones that have the balls to come into town or hang out in groups. They are a pest if you have livestock or chickens or something. If you don't have any outside animals go crack open a beer, go outside, and kick back to listen to the coyote chatter. If you've got a fire pit, light that bitch. No coyote will get close if you're close to a fire. If they start getting close just yell at them, toss a few rocks, or just go back inside.

That's just what it's like here, anyway. Coyotes are pretty harmless out here. They may show up to investigate noises or smells but keep their distance from people. I bumped into a scrawny coyote when taking a hike out in the Bisti. All he did was stand on the edge of the arroyo and watch me for a minute before wandering off. Probably a skin walker but I wasn't doing anything more offensive then being a white man.

Pretty much standard wildlife rules apply. Leave it alone and it'll probably leave you alone. If they are getting in your yard, just go out and pee all over everything.
>>
>Use to live out in the hills on the edge of town
>tfw falling asleep listening to the foxes and coyotes argue

Maximum comfy. Coyotes won't bug you. Learn to love the sounds of wildlife. Coyotes can get super chatty and have lots of interesting vocalizations.
>>
I live in the hills in southern California and see them occasionally, mostly as road kill. I've known neighbors that have had cats killed and small dogs ripped through fences. I hadn't heard of anyone getting attacked by one though, until a couple months ago some guy walking around a park at night alone got chased and nipped on the leg by one. That's a pretty rare occurrence though. The more comfortable they are with their surroundings the more likely they are to come out and how they react around humans. Depends on the area I think. They sound quite nice at night though
>>
>>2278621
>>2278715
also watch out for rattlesnakes. and by watch out I mean just don't go towards them and they will leave you alone. and if you are near water there can be cottonmouths and copperheads. again, just leave them alone.

I live in middle georgia near macon and see them in my backyard. Tons of coyotes, too. I go out at night by myself when there are coyotes and stuff but the wildlife here (and most places) just runs from you. Don't act like scared prey basically
>>
>>2280020
What part on NM? I live in Belen, fucking hate this town. Coyotes and stray dogs everywhere.
>>
>>2280302
also the other snakes besides that are pretty harmless. I guess the most dangerous thing in georgia would be alligators, but those won't bother you unless you go in the water with them.
>>
>>2278965
my favorite animals like that are house geckos
>>
>>2279414
>coyotes
>killing deer
Are you stupid?
>>
>>2280961
They occasionally do, though it's not as often as people think. Coyotes are very socially adaptable and while they are normally solitary hunters of small animals like mice or rabbits, occasionally they do team up and hunt in pairs or groups, and it's possible for a group of coyotes to take down a deer. They just usually only bother with smaller prey
>>
Get an AR with a night scope and start taking them out, pussy.
>>
>>2278715
>This is a myth. (Large) dogs are generally viewed as a curiosity/threat

I personally know of at least one large golden retriever tied on a moderately long rope (long enough to do some maneuvering) that was killed and partially eaten by coyotes. Mind you these were coywolves, I agree with you on pure coyotes.
>>
File: coyote_range_map.gif (9KB, 385x173px) Image search: [Google]
coyote_range_map.gif
9KB, 385x173px
>>2279162
Just Hawaii
>for now
>>
>>2281475
I'm not saying coyotes never attack larger dogs, it does happen occasionally (and is usually a case of the coyotes feeling threatened or territorial, not going after the larger dogs as prey) but it isn't too common. And the "luring dogs into an ambush thing" is just rubbish.
>>
>>2278606
Cows can make creepy noises in the middle of the night, if they're not full on mooing or if it's just one alone not mooing
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dumjl-oitZw

I've only ever heard a single coyote so this video was trippy
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtsZoIe3Czk

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxo8X5uIWRE
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.