[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adopting a dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1928.jpg (35KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1928.jpg
35KB, 236x236px
So my local stray shelter has a purebred female basset hound that is about 1 or 2 years old, she's really nice but one of her front legs kinda sticks out to the side at her ankle. Is that a big deal? They told me some long complicated name for it but I can't remember and when I googled it all I came up with was "fiddlefoot". They offered to have their vet talk to me about it if I felt uncertain, but I had to get somewhere and suddenly the anxiety hit me like a train and I just needed to get out. I put a 24 hour hold on her and am going to see her again later today but I'm still not sure

They also have a purebred Great Pyrenees that's about 2 but he seems really aloof and the girl there kinda hinted that they were looking for someone who had experience with breeds like him because I guess he's a handful? So I guess not him. He's really cute though

they ALSO have a purebred golden retriever puppy in foster that isn't available yet, but they said that he was severely neglected and starving and that even though he's up to weight now it might lead to him having health problems when he's older. How likely would that be?

Pic unrelated
>>
I don't know anything about basset hounds or this condition, but if she's only 1-2 years now and having issues she's probably going to really wrack up the vet bills later on. Not to mention, it'd be a bummer if you couldn't go on runs with your bud.

I'm not aware of any issues you might have with the golden retriever. Unless he was malnourished for a long time, should be okay.
>>
>>2277414
the girl I talked to said that its a common thing in bassets and that she might develop arthritis later on but it's not associated with anything else, I just wanted more input because I don't know anything about them either. I'll probably talk with the vet about it too I guess

>runs
honestly I don't want a dog for that, I'm really introverted and have bad anxiety and just want a dog to hang out with. I work from home as a programmer and have a pretty generous stable income so more than anything I just want a companion to keep me company I guess. an older pitbull is what I actually wanted, but I didn't realize that the house I rent has restrictions on pitbulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, and huskies.
>>
>>2277407

Pyrs are really independent and don't like to listen straight away (they'll do what you ask but in their own time). I rescued one a few months ago and he was nice but withdrawn as well. After being with him a bit, he really opened up and became a huge cuddle bug. I guess it's just in the breed to be nice but not affectionate with people they don't really know.
>>
File: basset.jpg (73KB, 600x461px) Image search: [Google]
basset.jpg
73KB, 600x461px
>>2277407
It's a very common issue in basset hounds. It's probably not a well bred animal because it is in a shelter. A lot of poorly bred bassets have splayed feet, and most of them don't develop awful issues. It is something they are born with as puppies, so it being there at an early age is normal and won't affect anything as far as that goes. It may cause issues depending on how severe it is. Bassets are low energy dogs to begin with, you don't want to do much running with them. A Pyrenees needs a lot more work, like a run a few times a day, and the breed is naturally aloof and independent which makes it difficult to train, if they want someone with experience he may have bad behaviors he needs to be trained out of. A puppy, especially a neglected one, is more work than both of your other choices combined. That's a lot of dedication and hard work and time an patience, much more than a normal puppy because it was neglected. Your choices are vastly different, i don't know if it's because you're unsure of what you want or because you don't have much to choose from, but you should think about how much time and work you are able to put into an animal and how much you'd want to put into an animal. From what I'm hearing so far, the basset would be the most laid back and sounds easier behavior wise, if that is what you are looking for

Pic related, what I am assuming you are talking about; one foot splayed. Most BYB bassets actually have two splayed feet
>>
Basset hounds are very pleasant-natured dogs in general, I love them. Really lovely companions. The outwards-pointing feet are a conformational fault that's fairly common in the breed. It's called "fiddlefront." Even the best breeders can produce a pup with this defect. I've read only that it can lead to an increased risk of arthritis but it isn't a certainty. Best wishes.
>>
Don't but pure breeds.
>>
>>2277469
OP is adopting you shitwit.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.