[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bird thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 62

File: image.jpg (77KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 620x400px
>Bird thread #1027

Last thread hit bump limit, so have a new one

Post your birds, discuss birds, ask for advice etc.

Remember: Birds are always important

Last thread: >>2246649
>>
>>2277285
For some reason my birb loves putting his whole head inside my mouth and drinking my saliva. I know it's disgusting as hell, but I sometimes let him because I find it hilarious.
Is any of us at risk of getting sick?
>>
>>2277559
Please stop.. you're fine but human saliva is the most bacteria-filled shit you could feed him. He's going to get sick.
>>
File: 1466956006534.jpg (61KB, 406x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466956006534.jpg
61KB, 406x480px
>mom impulsively buys male and female zebra finches
>can't keep them inside because we have two indoor cats
>we've never owned birds, I don't even like birds
>keep birds in garage, upgrade them to a big ol' cage with nest and nesting material
>leave them outside by garage sometimes to get some sun since its dark as fuck in there
>give them ceramic water dish to play around in/bathe themselves and some toys that they can pull around and play with
>male bird is energetic and often playfully chases the female around the cage
>he's always the more inquisitive and unafraid one
>dad leaves them out for some sun today
>when he's checking on them after two hours them, yells ANON COME LOOK WHAT HAPPENED
>run out, cage is knocked over, male finch's head has popped off, body outside of cage
>female is just sitting there by the popped off head with a glassy-eyed stare

I loved that little guy and I essentially killed him
>>
>>2277692
What exactly happened?
>>
>>2277698
a hawk has swooped down at them before and another has landed on top the cage within the year but they're so rare here that I'd never seen them around until those two occasions. the body and head were completely intact though. it must of just knocked over the cage, the tray decapitated the male, then then got scared and flew awau
>>
>>2277692
RIP

>>2277559
Stop that. Now. It's gonna get sick
>>
File: IMG_0478.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0478.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Why is she rubbing her butt on my lettuce?
>>
File: IMG_0481.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0481.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2278014
Oh shit brought her another one and she started moving around like when she bathes
>>
File: IMG_2021.jpg (936KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2021.jpg
936KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>2278016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P29tRpKpJGc
They like to bath on lettuce, no idea why, though.
>>
Are lovebirds really mean? Or they just like to be nippy in a playful way?
>>
File: balance.jpg (240KB, 1600x1073px) Image search: [Google]
balance.jpg
240KB, 1600x1073px
Is it sexual stimulation to scratch a parrot under its wings? Or is that an ok scratch spot?
>>
Is there like a reason my cocktails tail feathers havent grown in yet? Its been about a month already and they kinda look weird
>>
I keep reading the "owls are cats with wings meme" but if anything, parrots are closer to that idea
>destroy things for fun
>may playfully hurt you
>like toys and boxes
>will steal your shiny things
>highly curious, but easy to scare
>>
>>2278930
nigger thats an owl in your bitchass jpeg
>>
>>2279267
At least parrots dont kill native wildlife
>>
>>2279274
They destroy native plantlife, though.
I've tried getting some plants, but my birds will actively destroy them as much as possible, until it's absolutely impossible for them to recover. Also, unlike other birds that eat seeds but also spread them at the same time, parrots crush seeds into uselessness, so they don't even contribute to the recovery of what they kill.
>>
>>2279299
Parrots spread seeds just as much as any other bird. Unless you're talking about domestic parrots which do not affect the ecosystem.
>>
>>2279302
That's simply not true at all. Many birds will get seeds stuck in their feet or they'll eat a fruit and drop the seeds to the ground, but parrots usually consume and/or break every single seed in their sight.
>>
>>2278927
Depends on how tame they are. Even the meanest lovebird I owned like to sit on my head and preen my hair. but it would by the shot out of my hands.
>>
>>2279274
Maybe yours doesn't.
Mine body slammed a lizard that got into its cage.
>>
>>2279308
You've obviously never watched parrots eat. Most of the food ends up on the ground.
>>
>>2278930
I need feedback please. Google gives mixed answers. Im asking this in regards to a conure
>>
Anyone here keep finches?
I see a lot of vines or instagram videos of (often japanese) owners and their very hand tame finches
I feel like this is an exception, not a rule though. Can any finch be tamed to this extent?
>>
File: IMG_11701.jpg (750KB, 1195x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_11701.jpg
750KB, 1195x1600px
Potential first-time bird owner here. I'm considering adopting a 4-year old, tame green cheek conure.

Do I have to socialize him with everyone? One of my roommates isn't interested in birds. I never really have friends over.

And is this a good diet for him, plus certain veggies and fruit?
>>
Guys i know his is fucked up but i cant keep my tiel anymore. When he goes on his screaming fits for whatever reason nothing i do stops him and ive gotten complaints from the other apartments about it. I shouldnt have bought a pet store bird. Where can i give him up where theyll take care of him
>>
>>2279579
>Do I have to socialize him with everyone?
No, but he will likely be afraid of anyone you don't. This typically isn't a serious problem, just expect him to be quiet and hide behind your neck/his toys when "strangers" are around.

>is this a good diet for him
Seeds are really high in fat and not a good choice as a staple diet unless he'll be free to fly around essentially all the time (and then only if he also wants to fly a lot of course). Breeders and bird show contestants tend to use seed based diets since they can make birds extra active and vibrant in the short term but tends to lead to obesity in the long term. Look into quality food pellets instead and just keep seeds on hand as a treat along with the obvious fruits and veg.
>>
>>2279580
Sorry to hear that, in addition to being picky eaters tiels are also prone to panic attacks and the like so I can't say I'm surprised. The obvious answer is to adopt him out to another owner, priced to sell of course since you need him gone quickly. You may also be able to find an Avian Rescue operation in your area that'll take him and hopefully find him a more accommodating home.
>>
>>2279413
Tell us a tale, anon
>>
>>2279413
OH OH story time!
>>
>>2279417
>you've obviously
Not an argument.
I own two parrots and I've owned parrots for a while now. The fruit that ends on the floor is CRUSHED, it's worthless. Even the wiki page on parrots says that thy're considered seed predators and not seed dispersers.
>>
>>2279784
>doesn't know how birds work
>>
One of my tiles who I got from a pet store (I know) about six months ago was clipped when I got her. She just flew for the first time today and I felt like a mom watching her babies take their first steps
>>
WHY THE FUCK DOES MY COCKATIEL SCREAM HE HAS TOYS HE HAS FOOD WATER AND ATTENTION WHY DOES HE SOUND LIKE A FUCKING ALARM CLOCK
>>
>>2279900
Because they think that noise is fun to make. If they like a noise, they're gonna make it.
>>
>>2279729
>>2279718
Not much to tell
>One day lizard sneak into lovebird's cage
>Lovebird climb to ceiling of cage looking at lizard
>I turn around to pick up something and hear a thump
>Lovebird is standing over dead lizard
>>
>>2279784
Parrots are messy eaters, I thought this was common knowledge, my bird will shove aside seeds onto the floor to pick at others
>>
I forgot just how hard birds can bite. Had to grab my bird in hands to get him back in cage and a tiny amount of blood came out
>>
I didn't want to teach my birds any tricks because I thought it'd take far too much time, but one of them has actually learned to come to my shoulder on command in three days just by giving him seeds and making a specific sound every time he comes.
I didn't know they were that smart, thought it'd take like a few weeks of trial and error at least for each thing.
>>
>>2280469
What kind of bird
>>
What exactly is considered "tame" in a bird? Is it being able to perch on your finger on command or is there more to it
>>
File: Birb.png (98KB, 240x232px) Image search: [Google]
Birb.png
98KB, 240x232px
>>2279900
How long have you had him? When is he screaming? When do you give him attention? How loud is the ambient noise where you live? Is it flock call, attention call or vocalizing?

>>2280471
I'd assume a tame bird would accept food from you, seek your company and would be ok with you touching/grabbing it.
>>
>>2280485
Ive had him for about 2 months now. I socialize with him in the morning, go to school, and then if im not working (i work 4 days a week) i talk with him and stay near him. If i am working my roomate keeps him busy but he cant do it all the time. He'll start screaming some times for no reason even if im in the middle of talking to him. Idk what kind of scream it is at first i thought it was flock call but im not so sure
>>
File: white.jpg (115KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
white.jpg
115KB, 480x640px
>>2280488
When do you get him out of the cage? He might just be wanting to chill with you, though getting him out when he's screaming is a bad idea.
How your roomate interacts with him might reinforce the screaming behaviour, too.

An attention call would be one "note" going on a higher pitch. Flock call would be softer and coming back down. You can also get random noises, which is just the bird whistling to himself or to his mate/flock, and that's mostly a male thing.

Mine gets riled up by a few specific sounds, but that very rarely lasts for long.

(Picture is my bird's sibling that went to another family)
>>
>>2280470
Crimson Rosella
Breeder told me they are kind of smart but not really that smart
>>
>>2280492
So its either an attention or flock call. I always leave his door open when im around but he doesnt come out hes still afraid of my hand so i dont want to force him out if it means scaring him and losing his trust. Roomate whistles and talks to him but he also has thing to do. Considering i was the one that wanted it and he said ok cause he thought it was cool having a bird, hes doing me a favor by socializing him
>>
File: grey.jpg (119KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
grey.jpg
119KB, 480x640px
>>2280500
Offer treats through the bars, fake eating them with exaggerated interest, millet is usually a good bet.
Might take a few days, but once he's more comfortable, target train him if he's still skittish, and eventually he will be okay with getting on your hand. If you have trouble putting him back in, tire him up, they are quite forgiving critters.

Socializing is only going to happen once you have really tamed your bird.

It's a shame so many people buy from stores.
I got mine from a breeder, left her alone for an entire day so that she could get accustomed to her cage, but she stepped up the next day and was accepting scratches on my chest the following day.

(Picture of the other sibling)
>>
>>2280506
Yeah i coudnt find a breeder for tiels only big birds and had to get him at a pet store. He seemed better than the rest and i took him to the vet and hes top notch so all i have to do is taming him
>>
>>2278930
I've heard people say it frustrates them when you scratch under their wing. I wouldn't do it. Head is the only scratch spot I know of that's okay. I have a conure too.
>>
File: IMG_1834.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1834.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is Haro my pet budgie, he is my first ever pet, He's about 3-4 months old.

He wasn't himself 2 weeks ago and I took him to the vet and he had a bacterial imbalance in his droppings.

After a week of antibiotics he perked right back up and he seems fine now except his cere and beak is starting to look weird. Unfortunately the vet was so expensive last time I just don't have the money to take him back.

It looks like scaly face mites, can anyone else offer an opinion?
>>
File: IMG_1835.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1835.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2281579
Sorry about orientation and big file size, I don't have access to a PC atm.
>>
>>2279687
Listen to this anon. They know their shit
>>
Do parakeets blink when they sleep? Mine just sits still and sleeps and blinks all day in the bottom of the cage. I'm worried.
>>
So should I switch to a diet only of fruit and vegetables for my budgies for the best possible health and enjoyment? Do they prefer seeds more? Is there any health problems with either fruits/vegetables or seeds?
>>
>>2281774
They will always prefer seeds over anything else, at least in my experience that's the way. For the rest of your doubts just read what >>2279687 said
>>
>>2281787
If my tiels refuse to eat anything but seed, do I just take the seed away? I'm afraid that they'll opt to starve themselves. Right now I give them 75% pellets and 25% seed in one bowl, and then fresh fruits/veggies in another one. I never see them eat anything but the seed though.
>>
>>2281794
At the end of the day their animals. If there's nothing else to eat and their angry, they'll eventually eat what you give them. Take the seeds away from them without fear.
>>
>>2281934
*they're
>>
>>2281934
I've done this before for a day and 16 hours later gave them a little bit of seed and they ate like they've never eaten before. Are you sure it's okay to just starve them out like that?
>>
My budgie bit my nose today. Little bastard drew blood!
>>
>>2280494
>Crimson Rosella
Jesus fuck that's a sexy birb.
>>
>>2280025
Alpha as fuck.
>>
my lovebird was hand raised but he's becoming more and more skittish. he's not afraid of hands, but he's avoiding them more and more except for when he wants to be pet. it's hard to put him back in the cage because he doesn't let me catch him and he doesn't go back on his own. do i clip his wings or what?
>>
>>2282394
Clipping him will make him easier to catch but I bet it will make him scared of or pissed at you. Maybe try practicing stepping up more so it's just habit.
>>
>>2282394
He associates your hand with getting put back into the cage.
Carry him on your hand when you have him out.
>>
>>2280469
Teaching them tricks is a good way to keep them from getting bored. Exercising ther mind and body.
>>
>>2281373
I don't know about that. I used to pick my budgie up by gently holding him by his ribs with my thumb and fingers. He would look around and eventually get fed up and start kicking his legs when I would start to put him back down.
>>
Do budgies' vocabs get filled up quickly, so to say?

My budgie is very chatty and likes to repeat all the brain drivel I spew at him, but he hasn't picked up any new words for a while. He's like two years old
>>
>>2282482
Maybe. I'd guess they will use the noises that they hear most often and that their vocabulary is most plastic when they are young. My first budgie loved the house phone (and getting scratched by the antenna) and one of his favorite songs was dialing somebody I used to call all the time. He even sang the damn dial tone sound. But like you said he wouldn't pick up new sounds as easily when he got a little older.
>>
File: 3.jpg (632KB, 2065x1676px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
632KB, 2065x1676px
My pair of gouldians i got recently.
My first birds not counting chickens and ducks.
>>
>>2282818
Very nice. Did you purposefully avoid the brighter morphs?
I'm not really into birds but the ones that tempt me most to take the leap are gouldians and shaft tails.
What kind of cage do you have for them? Are you going to try and breed them?
>>
I just got two parakeets and I'd like to think I'm doing most things right. On the second day they started eating out of my hand. I would like to let them out of their cage to exercise and what not but anytime I don't have food they always run away.

How do I comfort them if they won't get close to my hand without food? They show signs of boredom but also fear when ever I get close. I did get the yellow one to step all the way on my hand to eat today too so progress.

Also would you call them babies? How old do they look?
>>
>>2282942
Fear will go away with time and experience. Remember, it takes years to build trust but only seconds to destroy it.
>age
Pic is a bit blurry but I still see some barring on their foreheads. Several months old I'd say.

If they are eating out of your hand on the second day that's a huge accomlishment. Good job.
>>
>>2282865
I think the black headed ones look the cutest. Just personal preference. You see more of their yellow coloring when they fluff up or flutter around. The cage is a wrought iron polymer/plastic sealed rectangle cage. Roughly 160X80X55cm Its fairly big i think for just one pair but i still want to build an outdoor aviary.

If i do end up breeding them I wouldn't mind handraising one from 2.5 to 3 weeks old. A tame and bonded finch would make my heart melt everyday.
>>
>>2282942
Oh my. That fucking sneaky cat.
>>
File: 1480803703423.jpg (20KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
1480803703423.jpg
20KB, 500x404px
>>2281938
You can starve your bird sure but why would you do that. Unless you think of your bird as some slave you keep in a cage go right ahead or you could do it the normal way by reducing the amount of seeds every day and treating it like family
>>
>>2281938
My birds do that all the time. They may have been eating their pellets just 5 minutes ago but if I show them some seeds they'll jump on me like it's the first time seeing food. They're not really hungry, they simply love food.
>>
Why do parrots press their foreheads against everything? It's like they're greeting the furniture.
>>
Yall ever walk your bird on a leash? Ive been thinking of getting one but i dont want to look autismo walking with a tiel on my shoulder in the park
>>
How do i make a swing for a chicken?
>>
>>2283176
>grab stick
>tie rope to ends of stick
>tie other end of rope to something

Was it that hard? Or just buy one jesus fucking christ have you ever heard of google?
>>
>>2283178
The main problem.is that something
And how thick has the stick to be?
>>
File: 1464118145825.jpg (44KB, 768x624px) Image search: [Google]
1464118145825.jpg
44KB, 768x624px
>>2283179
You know what forget it just fucking buy one
>>
>>2283184
Why would i want to do that?
And still how do i attach it even if i buy o e?
>>
>>2283174
I can't help you with your self esteem issues, but I'll tell you the hardest thing will probably be getting your tiel used to the leash. Unless it's something they've used since they were young, they will most likely flip out for a while.
>>
>>2283136
If you bothered reading I've been trying this for almost a year and still haven't seen them eat one pellet. Why are you retarded?

>>2283170
It just worries me bc I never actually see them eat the pellets. Maybe they do behind my back but I literally have never seen them do anything with them but toss them around.
>>
>>2282942
It should be considered animal abuse to keep a cat around your birds. Your cat is obviously stalking them and is going to wait for the perfect opportunity to kill one or both of them. Rehome the cat or the birds, don't be an asshole.
>>
>>2283250
>almost a year
Yeah no you suck
>>
>>2283454
Any tips fucktard? Tiels are notoriously picky, I know I'm not the only one with this issue.
>>
>>2283561
I do have some tips but since you're on your period ill wait for you to calm down
>>
>>2283640
You're not even a bird owner, just a troll.
>>
>Mom buys sun conure for first bird
>i already knew this was a mistake
>a month in i swear my hearing is getting worse
>almost a year goes by visitors myself and stepdad recognize bird is a little shit
>mom in denial
>fully year goes by mom realizes
Now we all kind take turns forcibly taking care of it
Mom doesnt want to sell it dont know why. ego?attached? Doesnt want to admit she was wrong? and shouldnt have bought that shit
>>
>>2283643
She should give it away to a bird sanctuary or rescue. See if there are any in the area.
>>
I grew up with lovebirds, now im living on my own and I want to get another bird.
I'm thinking of getting a Galah, because they look so nice.
Anyone with galah experience?
>>
File: pf.jpg (366KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
pf.jpg
366KB, 1600x1201px
does anyone know what bird is this?

also bump
>>
File: IMG-20161218-WA0001.jpg (298KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161218-WA0001.jpg
298KB, 1600x1200px
>>2279900
They often don't have a reason, they scream for the fun of it.

Reporting in with my birbs
>>
My male, sexually immature bird keeps asking for the D even though it doesn't make any sense. The breeder says it's impossible for a 6 months old parrot to have any sort of sexual need, and yet, it keeps trying to seduce me with sex noises and flirty poses.
How is this possible?
>>
Please don't ever let your bird sleep in your bed with you. My cockatiel was really sick and begging to snuggle with me and I wanted to comfort him so I let him. I fell asleep and woke up on my back a few hours later, looked to my left and right and couldn't find him. Panicked, sat up and there he was, squashed like a pancake. It happened about 2 hours ago. I killed my best friend.
>>
>>2284040
>letting a 100g animal sleep at your side
>even though you move while sleeping

You have only yourself to blame
>>
>>2284110
i know.
>>
>>2284040
Yeah there are tons of stories like this. Sorry for your loss.
>>
>>2284040
Sorry dude. I almost did this to my budgie quite a few years ago. He was sitting with me on the couch and I stood up for a second in excitement, then jumped back into my seat. I immediately noticed I didn't see my little buddy. My heart jumped and I got right off my ass and there he was, wings splayed out and panting. He popped up and flew around while screaming but he was no worse for wear (although he was smartly afraid of butts after that).
>>
>>2284152
>>2284195
Thanks. I'd heard the stories too but he was so upset and desperate to be with me. I thought "it's a bad idea but just this once", and now that mistake will probably haunt me for the rest of my life. I'm a turboneet and he was my only friend.
>>
>>2284040
This happened to my uncle several years ago.
>>
>>2284231
Fucking furry neets. Wanting to sleep with their pets and all.
>>
>>2277285
How do you guys deal with the poop and all?.
I see your birds in pics all in your beds and matresses. What the fuck?
I want a birb but I know they shit like every half an hour.
What do?
>>
>>2284245
you can tell when a bird's about to take a shit

most of the time they go to the edge, so at least it lands on the floor, not the sheets or something
>>
>>2284245
you just wait for it to dry and eat it. tastes like pine nuts and it's good for you.
>>
>>2284231
At least you will learn from this mistake and you will never do it again leading to more heartache
>>
>>2277285
Just got this girl today.
>>
>>2279900
just be glad you dont have one of these fucks
>>
>>2277285
I've been considering getting a bird, most likely a budgie, and have been doing my homework on it. I know they're very talkative and sociable. Just how noisy will one get? I'm living in a trailer with 3 other people, with 2 of them right next door to my room. Will a bird be too noisy for a trailer and make noise all night long?
>>
>>2284418
Birds go to sleep as soon as lights go out, so you don't have to worry about them maing a sound at night as long as you keep them in a dark place.

Budgies aren't particularly noisy anyways.
>>
>>2283833
A beauty!
>>
File: 1475728611923.gif (538KB, 245x320px) Image search: [Google]
1475728611923.gif
538KB, 245x320px
>get bird
>everybody says that I should get the bird some toys
>get some toys for the bird
>bird proceeds to ignore toys and play with the lamp and some empty boxes instead
>>
>>2284426
This, they don't make noise at night, but a lot of birds get loud as fuck the instant the sun starts coming up.
>>
I fantasize about breeding corvids for the pet market at some point in my life. I think they could be very suitable pets.
>>
>>2284040
I let my cockatiel nap on my head some times. Should be pretty safe.
>>
>>2284426
I mean I know they dont have very loud voices but trailer walls are very thin.
>>
>>2284478
The very rarely get loud. They will sing at a slightly quiter level than a conversation. But a lot of the time they are fairly quiet.
When they are upset they will certainly let you know.
>>
So its been about a week since I got my first two parakeets. I believe one is a boy and the other a girl and 90% of the time they get along great but lately have been making screeching noises. I'm usually not home when this happens and the bf informs me of it but today I have off and heard them screech. It doesn't seem to be connected to any noises, we try to keep it pretty quiet for them.
While they screeched the boy put a talon/foot on the girls stomach. I got their attention before it could go further but am just wondering what maybe might be the cause? The girl is not as scared by our hands when we try to get them to eat out of them and the boy tends to run away. I feel like maybe he thinks she's getting more attention? I'm not totally sure.
Maybe they need a bigger cage for the two of them? We currently have them in this one http://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/petco-designer-gable-playtop-parrot-habitat . Maybe they should be separated? I'm just looking for some advice.
>>
>>2284736
I'm confused by this post because it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. Don't tell me you were expecting them to be quiet all of the time? They're birds.
>>
>>2284738
Oh no no. They can be as loud as their little hearts want. I'm just worried about them fighting with each other. And was hoping it wasn't anything I am doing on my end or how I could help minimize it. I.e. not enough personal space for each or too small a cage, jealousy etc.
>>
>>2284484
Thanks for the input, I'm just worried about a bird vocalizing all night and keeping housemates up.
>>
>>2284817
Nah budgies get quiet if you dim the lights and they go right to sleep if you put a blanket over the cage. They'll murmur and maybe ring a bell or two but that's it. Rarely they might have a night fright and cause a ruckus with flapping and squawking but that's *really* rare.
If anything a budgie's extreme sociability might be irritable to some people. They really like to play and eat with you and can be little troublemakers with chewing.
>>
>>2284824
Well if I get a bird it'll be mostly in my room with me, so would it really irritate housemates?
>>
>>2284846
Probably not unless you let him fly around the entire apartment all the time. A single apartment room may be a bit small desu.
It depends on the bird's personality too. Some are more cuddly, some are more playful, etc. You'll find out what works best for you.
>>
Just wondering do yall take your bird to the vet for check ups? Im taking my tiel next month cause im trying to tame him in the meantime to not freak out on the vet
>>
>>2284855
Well the room I'm in is very spacey so I don't think its an issue
>>
>>2284899
Good. I hope you get it all figured out and you have a happy feathered friend.
>>
>>2284905
I actually have one more question, as it pertains to health, I've read many sources that say to get a bird an annual check up. Is once a year fine?
>>
>>2284928
>>2284864
Need replys
>>
>>2284864
>>2284928
>>2284864
>>2284928
Once a year is fine, just keep a close eye out for signs of sickness like lethargy, sneezing, weird poops or no poops, etc. Birds don't make it very obvious that they are sick and usually when you notice symptoms that means they've been sick for a while, so it's important to be diligent in noticing these things. If anything abnormal comes up take them to the vet but otherwise an annual checkup should be fine.
>>
>>2284846
if your birds gonna live in the same room you sleep in you need to bear in mind that abnormal light levels and sleep schedules can effect their hormones and cause behavioral problems so be sure to develop a solid routine with them.
>>
>Have cockatiel that likes to harass dog
>Said dog is an older lab who stays outside all day and spends most nights in bro's room
>When the dog is in and the cockatiel is in his cage, he'll either whistle at her or flap his wings
>Moment she looks over he sits perfectly still and quiet, and when she looks away he does it again
>I still doubt our dog knows what the fuck is going on
Little cheeky bastard

>Last night dog was let into the house without warning
>She bolts into my room first because bro's door was closed
>Cockatiel flips out and takes flight off my shoulder
>Dog just turns around and walks out
>Cockatiel is hovering in place (His wings were clipped but he's growing new feathers right now)
>Bird acts like he has no idea what the fuck to do, and just hovers for about 20 seconds until I bring my arm under him to land on
/blog
>>
>>2284736
I'd say jealousy isn't your problem, since they aren't tame yet. If anything, the skittish one may become bolder seeing the other getting food.
You'd really have to be worried if they go at eachother on purpose.

That cage looks terrible, there are no horizontal bars for the birds to climb or hang, the bars themselves look mighty thin, and I really wouldn't trust the doors, they could get themselves stuck and hurt if they decided to play escape artists.
Just to say that something designed for a species doesn't mean it's well adapted.
>>
>>2284958
Could explain in a little more detail?
>>
File: 20161222_142345.jpg (2MB, 1526x2079px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_142345.jpg
2MB, 1526x2079px
>>2277285
So this mother plucker has an infection in one of his nares. I have to drop cipro in there twice a day.

On the other hand, good news: he has regrown about 20% of his feathers since we got him.
>>
how do i get my african gray to stop wanting to mate with me

i mean his whining is cute but i'm tired of him trying to regurgitate food into my hand
>>
>>2285205
Get a restraining order
>>
>>2285205
You can't. There's no stopping the parrot love train.
>>
>>2277285

>started with 2 parakeets
>moved up to 4
>they were all happy to live together
>over time go down to one parakeet
>adopt 2 keets from my parents
>had their cages next to each other for 3 weeks. they showed interest in being friends, always sitting next to each other through the bars.
>just added the 2 keets in the cage with the one keet because my cage is fucking huge
>shamefully i must admit i dont leave the cage open mostly cause my wife (basically the mess aspect)

anywho, my parakeet (link) is a lot larger than the other two, who are a pair bonded male and female. its only the first night but they had a little spat and it made me nervous that link might stay being a dick and ill have to seperate them again. any advice?
>>
>>2285387
Well it is their territory. Let them out again but watch them. My budgie would be agressive upon meeting a new bird but after a day or so he would be okay.
>>
>>2285205
I have no idea, I'm just glad mine stopped the maniacal laughter after orgasm thing he did.
>>
File: 20161222_232902.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_232902.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Is it ok to put my cockatiels cage next to my aquarium? He sometimes looks at them and the light from it kinda acts as a night light. His cage is kinda visible but its covered up on the right of pic related
>>
>>2285159
longer hours of light tricks their body into thinking its spring/summer/mating season and they start getting hormonal and difficult. weird hours or bad sleep makes them cranky af too.

it can just mean covering his cage with a blanket and using headphones at night, but its something to bare in mind
>>
File: birbs.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
birbs.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2285391
they did fine over night, but had to break up a few fights this morning. the problem is that link is a lot larger than the two parakeets i adopted from my parents, so if he decides to be dick the other two cant really stand their ground. but the three of them did eat together and the two males are napping next to each other on the same perch so im thinking its going to be ok. just has me rattled up

link is on the perch and the ones by the water dish are blueberry and buttercup.
>>
How many hours is your bird awake? Should you put them to bed when the sun goes down?
>>
>>2285450
Hello? Need to know so i can move him if its bad
>>
>>2285613
if your fishtank is on 24/7 you need to make sure the light is blocked well enough so none leaks through or move you buddy across the room. its not the worst thing to have a bit of a night light for birds, if if you just have a sheet or something between the two it will probably mess with his sleep cycle.
>>
>>2285546
Is there a specific time they should be sleeping?
>>
Hi , my grandparents had two birds , idk how do you call them , they were kinda small , multicolored , short beak. I want to buy myself two of the same type of birds ,if this helps , when my grandpa covered the birds' cage they instantly shut up and go to sleep.
>>
>>2285719
At night
>>
i leik burds
>>
>>2284426
Will they budgies conform to your sleep schedule? I sleep into the early afternoon a lot but have black out curtains for pure darkness. Would that fuck one of them up?
>>
>>2285740
Doesn't narrow it down much I'm afraid, could be anything from finches to some of the smaller conures. Gonna at least have to give a beak shape and explain what you mean by "small."
>>
File: Merr+christmas_8a5f62_6127218.jpg (157KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Merr+christmas_8a5f62_6127218.jpg
157KB, 900x1200px
>>2277285
Merry Christmas
>>
>>2286397
It may fuck up with their sleeping schedule, since they'll assume darkness implies night.
>>
File: dn20566-1_300.jpg (9KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
dn20566-1_300.jpg
9KB, 300x199px
Hey guys, l recently got some zebra finches; I used to own them ages ago and have been researching them on google to try ensure the animals have a long and happy life.

Question is, when should I change their egg shells I've given them? I microwaved them to remove salmonella; when do they become unsuitable to put in the cage anymore? I've been going by every second day.

Also anyone that has finches, what's some good non-seed food to give that they like particularly? I've been giving them lettuce, they're not huge fans.
>>
>>2281757
Your bird may be sick. That seems a lot like sick budgie behaviour. Watch him closely, keep him quarantined. He may have a cold/infection.
>>
>>2284040
This is exactly what happens when you anthropomorphise your animal too much. Sure, it's a bird. Sure, it's affectionate and has more capacity for emotion than a reptile. Sure, it'll be social and miss you. BUT IT IS NOT A HUMAN. Don't fucking sleep with a tiny animal you can crush, you retard. Treat the bird like a bird, not a little human.

You want an animal to cuddle? Get a fucking dog or a cat; something that can squeal or bite when you fucking crush it.

Stop.
>>
>>2286723
My budgie liked to cuddle with me. I would watch a movie and he would dig under my shirt and fall asleep on my chest.
>>
>>2286797
That's different from you falling asleep on its chest...
>>
>>2277285

Birds like treats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWK-YaC0mTk
>>
File: image.jpg (105KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 480x640px
I wanna draw birds. What's up with this big lump on the front of this bird, in between it's shoulders?
Is it a patch of fat, protecting it's chest, or does the ribcage really just... do that?
>>
>>2287406
It's the heart
>>
>>2287410
>heart external to ribcage
Really? That's the first thing that I thought too, but that can't be right, can it? Evolutionarily, it looks like a sharp stab from a rival's talon would pop that fucker like a balloon. Is that really it?
>>
>>2286923

Indeed.
>>
>>2277285
Cute.
>>
>>2287406
It appears delicious......
>>
>>2287406
it's the crop, it distends as the bird eats.
>>
>>2287426
Not sure i just guessed but its fat to protect itself from what you described? Shits interesting
>>
File: 2ff3f698.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
2ff3f698.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
>>
>>2287460
Yeah, that's my guess too. I've never seen a bald one, but it's in the right place.
>>
How often do you change up your bird's cage?
>>
>>2287620
You mean clean it or rearrange it?

I clean it every day or every other day. My birds seem not to like having their whole cage rearranged so I just switch up something small once a week or so; add a new toy, reintroduce an old one, move something around, etc.
>>
File: IMG_1545[1].jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1545[1].jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I just bought 2 Lovebirds earlier today. I heard they can be loyal, but only to one thing. I want to tame both but I'm worried they may fight. Should I consider buying another cage to separate them if they start fighting?
>>
>>2288116
>Bought birds
>didnt research

Its ok ive done it before in the past. I dont have any info for you but im just trying to fit in the chan uwu
>>
File: zebra-finch-137081509-resized.jpg (12KB, 384x256px) Image search: [Google]
zebra-finch-137081509-resized.jpg
12KB, 384x256px
>>2287620
I'm concerned about cleaning my zebra finch's cage every day, because they're very stressed out by people.

Speaking of, how do I make them more used to me, and people?
>>
>>2288116
just let the two lovebirds pair bond and let them be happy. im sure you can still be friends with them by hand feeding them treats ect.

get a second cage and a single cockatiel. way better than trying to seperate 2 lovebirds im sure.
>>
Last night I heard my bird audibly wheezing. He looks fine and his poop is normal but should I take him to the vet anyway?
>>
>>2288206
Is he still wheezing? By wheezing you mean it sounded like he was having a hard time breathing? Was that after playing/flying a lot?

Sounds concerning, id probably take him just in case.
>>
>>2288207
It was audibly wheezing while he was just sitting. I was probably 5 yards away and he's just a little parakeet so I know it was not normal.
>>
>>2288211
Yeah I'd take him just in case. Birds hide their illnesses so usually when you notice something it means they've been sick for a while. Best to take action asap just in case.
>>
>>2288212
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll check back in, thanks
>>
>>2288214
Good luck, let us know what they say
>>
File: IMG_4498.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4498.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
This little guy snuck his way into my workplace today

What kind of berb is he?

I have better pictures but this is the only one that has clear features
>>
>>2288303
Looks like a female Goldfinch with winter plumage. They are cute little birbs.
>>
File: IMG_4497.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4497.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2288345
I had a feeling he was a she

She's gone now, but those were three fun hours. Pic related.
>>
File: barbus.jpg (124KB, 455x810px) Image search: [Google]
barbus.jpg
124KB, 455x810px
So my girlfriend's cockatiel is apparently becoming a man now and he's been spending the entire afternoon furiously masturbating on one of his perches. Personally I don't know a fucking thing about birds and this is her first cockatiel so I'm wondering if this is healthy or should I stop him? Little bastard's literally jacked off like six times in a row and covered one of his perches in cum while whistling the fucking Spongebob tune.
>>
>>2288355
Maybe. Because this second pic looks nothing like a female Goldfinch with winter plumage.
>>
>>2288372
My tiel never comes when he does that stuff, is that normal? It might have to do with the fact he only tries it on my mom's pinky finger which is a tricky act. Also he's trying to make some kind of nest and staying up way past his bed time. We got rid of any Christmas lights that might be causing sleep disruption.
>>
File: 1453308138706.gif (1MB, 172x162px) Image search: [Google]
1453308138706.gif
1MB, 172x162px
>>2288372
>while whistling the fucking Spongebob tune
>>
Were Ostrich ancestors able to fly, or is wikipedia full of bullshit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flightless_bird
>>
Anon with the 2 lovebirds again. When did you guys start approaching the cage and trying to hand train them?
>>
>>2284466
Once you graduate hs you will realise intelligent does not equal good pet.
>>
>Booger, my keet had a seizure today.
>she is 1 year old.
>fantastic diet
>plenty of out of cage time
>friendly as all fuck
>I don't think she'll make it to morning and all avian vets in my area are not in atm because of holidays.
>cry a lot

I'm so freaking sad guys.
>>
>>2288372
totally normal.
do not stop him. You will anger his boner and he will eventually attempt to maul you with his monster bird cock.
>>
>>2284466
i would advise just feeding wild ones on a regular basis, they have great memories and will recognize you. make friends but let em be free anon.
>>
>>2284040
ägd
>>
>>2284040
lmao
>>
>>2284040
vi vet att det är du libanon
>>
>>2289561
>>2289563
>>2289564
Ta livet av er, ni är fan inte roliga. Den anon säkert lider över sitt misstag mellan ni sitter här och skrattar som de patetiska idioter ni är.
Häng er.
>>
>>2289567
TAPPA

VIKT
>>
File: 1475991183383.jpg (21KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
1475991183383.jpg
21KB, 600x434px
My mom is making me get rid of my cinnamon green check conure because it bit a guest. Fuck this gay earth
If any of of you fags are in NoVA and want her, let me know. I just want her to be loved
>>
>>2289931
Let me guess: the guest thought it was funny to poke at the bird.
>>
>>2289935
No, she flew off my shoulder and attacked. She doesn't like women much so she attacks girls, my sisters/mom, and my faggy younger brother
>>
>>2289955
Ah so it was a bitch fight. That's a good bird to have if you ever get female robbers.
In all seriousness that fucking sucks, man. That bird loves you. I'm all the way up in Wisconsin but I'd take her in if you were close.
>>
>>2289955
>and my faggy younger brother

haha, anything with a high level of estrogen?
sorry for your loss
>>
>cockatiel is 8 years old
>had paper towels on the bottom of his cage since he was too little to grip them properly
>this winter he's started shredding and rearranging them
>found the metal bars on the bottom which I guess he never really noticed before
>flipping the fuck out and trying to remove them
Is he making a nest? What do I do? I owned a female tiel before him, and he acts much more male-y. I'm still scared if I help he'll manage to be secret female and lay all the eggs.
>>
>>2290001
the males still get weirdly broody in their own way. they'll find a spot or crevice they want to nest in and get all territorial and cranky over it. maybe the males like to take over the choice spots in the wild to attract mates or something.

you can try doing stuff to discourage breeding behavior, but personally i just put a little cardboard box stuffed with paper in the bottom of the cage and let mine go at it to his hearts content. it seems to make him less frustrated and it's safer than having him wedge himself into random crevices around the house.
>>
File: 1469761842006.jpg (41KB, 374x374px) Image search: [Google]
1469761842006.jpg
41KB, 374x374px
What did you guys start with to hand tame your parrots?

I am gonna start but they're very fickle about me and I dunno where to begin.
>>
>>2288241
So I ended up not taking him to the vet. He didn't make any more wheezing and he has been behaving normally. I've been watching him like a hawk so I think he's fine.
>>
File: lll.jpg (56KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
lll.jpg
56KB, 960x540px
Alright so I got a pair of parakeets more or less a month ago. I spared no expenses and got them a big cage, lots of toys, varying size of perches, good healthy food, etc. I have become a quieter person just to avoid scaring them even. I do everything I could think of but I have one problem.

They are scared of me whenever I don't have millet. Half the time they don't even want millet. I really want to get them walking around the house and get some exercise but I am trying my hardest to avoid frightening them. I can't let them out then scare the shit out of them for when I try to catch them and put them back. They already panic sometimes when ever I enter the cage squawking loudly instead of their usual chirps as they rapidly beat their wings.

I just want them to not be stuffed in a cage. Its been almost a month and still no progress. I can't help but think that is a full month of no exercise or any real movement. I want to give them the best quality of life I can give.

TL:DR, What do I do to make them not so afraid of me so I can let them out to play?
>>
>>2290228
Bump
>>
>>2278014
She has mated with the lettuce and will soon lay brussel sprouts. Congratulations.
>>
>>2290228

Had a lone parakeet, and it bonded fairly quickly with the family.

Had a buddy that had a pair of parakeets, and they never bonded with him, or with us when we adopted them.

Birds are social critters, just like us. When they're alone, they'll look to us for company. When they have a bird companion, however, they'll look to each other for company, and share their fear for us.

If you want to let them out of their cage, just leave the door open and ignore them. They'll return eventually.
>>
>>2290270
Can you still hand tame them though?
>>
>>2290284

Sure.

It'll just take more time, and a lot of patience.
>>
>>2290291
How would you start though? I've been thinking of putting some Milet Spray in my hand putting my hand slowly in the cage.
>>
>>2290292
That is a typical step to hand training. Have you read some guides? Read them.
>>
>>2290295
I have but a lot of people say 2 different things.

A) Stick your fingers in there with a treat

or

B) Put some treats in your hand and slowly put it in the cage

That's why I asked
>>
>>2285450
you are not supposed to leave the light on ALL the time it will have negative health effects for everyone involved
>>
>>2287406
BEHOLD! I've brought you a man.
>>
>>2277285
Why do lovebirds look so fucking fruit flavored?
Like what the fuck I want that on my fruit roll up right now
>>
>>2290117
I gave them seeds through the cage bars.
>>
>>2290228
try sitting next to your cage and reading them books, giving them treats when they pay attention to you and show interest. once they realize you're not a threat and stop being terrified you can move on to target training, which is a great way to build trust. just remember to take it slow and move at the bird's pace.
>>
just found a wild baby bird on the ground, do I put it back on the nest or care for it? if so, does anyone got a good guide on how to? I'm already reading up a bit

dont know the species
>>
>>2284040
Jesus man, I let my conure snuggle up to my face when I sleep
The worst thing that could happen then is I drool on it
>>
>>2290527
Back into nest if it has no wing feathers
>>
>>2290595
Because there is absolutely no way you could roll over and smother a 100gram animal. I'm sure your conure can just push you off.
>>
>>2290599
didnt find one, I think the nest got destroyed since I found a branch down on the nearby tree and another dead baby bird beside it
>>
>>2290643
Uh oh. Sounds like the bird you found got lucky. Pics of bird?
>>
File: 20170101_180549.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170101_180549.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2290645
>>
>>2290651
He looks very young. I would take him to the nearest wildlife place and ask them.
>>
>>2290228
Where did you get them and how much did you pay for them? If it was from a pet store and $20-$30 per bird than that means they were never removed from the nest to be hand weened. If this is the case then it could take months to get them to a good place with you. Hand weened budgies cost around $90 and aren't terrified of humans since theyve been handled since they were babies.
>>
>>2287406
That's the coop, and it's used for food storage. I don't know what the fuck is in that picture, though, but it seems like a deformed chicken. It's not the heart, since it's located in the rib cage, and that doesn't look like it.
>>
>>2290706
Name's crop, not coop. I'm as retarded as the look of that chicken.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480885784095.jpg (61KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480885784095.jpg
61KB, 960x720px
>>
>>2283833
Orchard Oriole.
>>
Everytime I see these threads I end up posting this pic of my tiel.
>>
File: Scratches.png (740KB, 654x892px) Image search: [Google]
Scratches.png
740KB, 654x892px
>>2290956
Hello Corvus

Happy New Year to you guys and your critters ~
>>
File: 1482532255979.png (46KB, 243x236px) Image search: [Google]
1482532255979.png
46KB, 243x236px
>tfw you're first attempt at handfeeding your birbs failed

How long did it take your birbs to finally eat off your hand?
>>
File: 41c.jpg (133KB, 444x453px) Image search: [Google]
41c.jpg
133KB, 444x453px
>>2291886
>>
File: IMG_20161230_175528.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161230_175528.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
This one showed on my window
>>
File: GremlinOrlando.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
GremlinOrlando.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>2281938
>>2281787
Out dinosaurs were hyperactive as fuck till we started them on their "diet". In nature they range for hundreds of kilometers looking for food, burning the excess off as they go. In captivity, with no big flights and unlimited food, they can go food hyper, as ours apparently were.

I started limiting the input of these pair months and months ago, no weight loss over 3 months of weekly weigh ins, better behaved (they don't go fucking nuts when I let them out of the cage) and they aren't as "fighty" as they were. If you're worried get a full workup on your bird few weeks in and check their mineral and vitamin levels, but I'll just chime in on the chorus and agree that there is no harm, and it does help.

Good luck man, they are such mad little cunts when you're in the groove with them.

>>2279900
THIS. RIGHT. FUCKING HERE. is why we even tried the diet in the first place. Our male would not shut the fuck up. Ever. When I said hyper above, this is primarily what I was referring to. Screaming randomly whether we're home or not (set up a noise activated camera, he was going nuts without us being anywhere nearby, which would imply it was not an attention thing. No point screaming if there's no one to scream at) We have them trained, but Gremlin was a nightmare till we started cutting back their food a little. I'm quoting you >>2280485 >>2280492 >>2280506 in as well because as solid as your advice is, you didn't touch on diet. It's a worthy consideration when training and socialisation can be ruled out.
>>
What's it like to own a bird, /an/? I love birds, but the wife won't let me get one.

How do you keep them from shitting every where?
>>
>>2290117
Get them used to your presence. Give em seeds through the bars. Then start with teaching them to step up.
>>
>>2290595
he was snuggled up to my face when i fell asleep. i saw stories like mine and chose to ignore them. please dont make the same mistake. you're rolling the dice every time you let him sleep with you.
>>
Could anyone ID? Found in Hunterdon County NJ, right in my backyard.

I posted to a birdspotting group and someone told me it was an Oregon pink junco, rare since that means it migrated across the whole country. The person who told me that posted it to another bird group with other people thinking the same. Does /an/ have any more opinions?

This is the only pic I got. I'm going to go out tomorrow morning and see if he comes back to get more pics.
>>
File: 1397445894117.jpg (2KB, 126x55px) Image search: [Google]
1397445894117.jpg
2KB, 126x55px
>tfw your lovebirds keep fighting with each other

It's obvious this isn't gonna work, I'm gonna see if I can take them back for a handraised Cockatiel instead. They're gonna kill each other.
>>
I find it hilarious that once we had gotten a place away from the city with quite a bit of space away from the nearest neighbors, that I ended up with a rooster who doesn't crow, much less make any noise whatsoever.

The hens are louder than he is, and their noise level never got any complaints at our old place.
>>
>>2291985
My bird loves attention calling, and my family is loud enough that he tries to get in screaming contests to establish his skills or something.
>>
>>2292281
>doesn't even think to separate them

Is it really so hard to put them in separate cages? What size cage are they in now? If you're cramming them together in a tight space of course they're gonna fight.
>>
>>2292354
Well I took them back and am just gonna buy a single hand-raised Cockatiel
>>
File: Blackbird - 2014.png (818KB, 561x548px) Image search: [Google]
Blackbird - 2014.png
818KB, 561x548px
>>2291985
I'll keep that in mind for future "troubleshooting".
We're all here to learn something, in a way, aren't we?

Cute balls of fluff, by the way.

>>2292039
Depending on the species, you can potty-train them to some extent.
Pretty sure cleanup is more about bits of food flying everywhere, parrots are quite messy.
>>
File: IMG_0619.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0619.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Here's a bit of a weird one, I have a cockatiel, and he absolutely loves me and doesn't want to be anywhere but on me all the time.
He doesn't like fingers though, really more like he doesn't like being touched. He won't hesitate to climb on my fingers, eat a treat off my hand, whatever, but as soon as I try to pet or otherwise handle him he goes to biting and flipping out.

Really annoying as I'm trying to leash-train him (I have both a harness and flight jacket), but it's very hard putting leash on a bird that doesn't like being handled. He's also not very food-motivated, so even trying to lure him on top of flight jacket isn't enough to overpower his desire to sit on my shoulder.

He has also gotten very bitey for my face, which I assume is just aggressive grooming, but it's been getting a little better as I push him away/put him in his cage if he keeps up with it.
Figured he might be grouchy since he's 6months old now and going through his first molt
>>
I really want a pet bird I love birds ever since I was a kid my favorite type of bird is a raven. I have PTSD and want to get a bird, I was taking care of a family friends pets while they were away and I found my PTSD was less when I had a purpose to take care of something. One of the things that set my PTSD off is loud noises though so I do not know if I should get a bird because of that, can you guys suggest any breeds please?
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (113KB, 1200x902px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
113KB, 1200x902px
>>2292666
poicephalus parrots are the most quiet. you'd probably be best off adopting one that's post puberty instead of raising it yourself if it's your first bird. .
>>
>>2292649
that looks like a girl to me
>>
File: IMG_20170101_145038230.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170101_145038230.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
My conure is around 8 months old and he has a biting problem when he is hanging out on my shoulder. Is time going to stop that, or are there steps I should take to reduce his biting? When he bites hard I put him either on his perch or in the cage. I was told to stop reacting if he bites me, but if I don't pull away, won't he get used to biting me whenever he feels like?
>>
>>2292679
He was DNA-sexed and determined to be a boy
>>
>>2292772
a faggot then
>>
Hey guys, my brother was cutting my conure's nails and he ended up cutting a little too deep. I believe he still only hit the nail but it was bleeding a fair amount. She's having trouble walking on that leg but she stayed pretty calm throughout and she's not acting like she's hurt.

Will the bleeding stop on its own? We put her in a little den with towel floors and it doesn't look to me like it's bleeding very much, but then again she's walking with it all curled up. I'm just worried and I don't want my little angel to bleed to death :(

We're taking her to the vet tomorrow. Thanks guys.
>>
>>2292849
the bleeding should stop on its own but if it doesn't I've heard that putting some flour on the would will help
>>
>>2292851
Thanks for the response.
>>
>>2292851
This is accurate. put some flour in a plate and let him stomp around on it for a bit. Helps clot the wound.
>>
Does anyone here have any suggestions for dealing with tumors on a bird?

I have a 6 year old budgie who was diagnosed with a hormonal mass in his testicles back in June. I've been taking him to an avian vet monthly lupron injections since he was diagnosed. He doesn't seem to be in pain, and he seems to still have all his normal energy, but he tends to move a bit more slowly akin to an arthritic dog.

I still let him out to fly around for exercise, give him daily attention, and try to make sure I am covering him relatively early to make sure he gets enough rest, but I'm not sure if there is anything more I can really do to make him comfortable or even improve his condition.
>>
>>2292849
My beeb is so used to my mom fucking up that he just goes for the flour we have ready when she finishes. Gets pissy with her for an hour then goes back for make-up kisses.
>>
>>2292851
I did this when my budgie broke a blood feather on his head by flying into the ceiling. It stopped the blood extremely quickly. It also made him want to take a bath.
>>
i have a question. how do i keep my cockatiel from shitting everywhere with every time i let him out
>>
>>2290296
If I had it to do over again, I'd use a combination of positive and negative reinforcement using millet as the reward.

I'd approach the cage, wait, and reward by sliding millet in the cage every time they were calm, then walk away and leave them alone. Eventually I'd start opening the door, and rewarding if they were calm, then walk away. Then I'd start putting my hand in little by little, and use this process to see if I could get them to eat millet from my hand.

It just takes patience, motivating them to trust you, and rewarding that trust.
>>
>>2292438
>parrots are quite messy.

Birds are just messy as fuck.

They give zero fucks and fling shit everywhere, especially the seed eaters, as it's their job in nature to fling seeds everywhere so shit can grow.
>>
>>2293085
flinging shit everywhere also helps to fertilize the soil outside of the house environment + birds carry seeds of certain plants in their shit like peppers
>>
Ok so first off i wanna say im sorry and deserve all the shit ill get

So i tried taming my tiel that i have gotten at a pet store and since i had gotten him hed scream really loud. At first id cover him up and eventually he would quiet down but now he DOES NOT STOP FOR ANYTHING and all he would do is sit on the perch by his food, id never seen him use any of the many toys i bought him or come out of his cage. I even went outside my apartment and could hear him from my car im surprised no one has said anything. I hit a rought patch a while ago and just couldn't take anymore. I threw whatever was in reach towards the cage and then hed quit down real fast. This went on for a while and now ive realized what ive done hes scared of me like day 1

Will he ever trust me again and if he does will how do i go about doing it. Some one i know suggested i get him a friend to quiet down but im not sure i just cant stand that screaching anymore he really does it for no reason
>>
>>2293118
I >>2291985 had one like that, never got violent though. I won't judge you because I know how frustrating it can be, but just remember anon, you are to that bird what the statue of christ in brazil is to you. Recognise the terror you'd feel if that statue came after you, remember it, and then apply that fear to your bird.

You can save the relationship, but you will absolutely need to do it at your tiels pace. Read the conversation thread that started from >>2279900, see what you can achieve.

Next time you feel like lasing out, come talk to us instead. Please.
>>
>>2293118
Also, you are supposed to be his friend. You are not going to get anywhere with a second bird till you address the behavioural problems with your first. If it is indeed your own behaviour causing the trouble, you may find you now have two screamers on your hands. You need to address that before you add a second bird to the mix.
>>
File: 20170106_135107.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170106_135107.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what's going on with my Conure. I had a Macaw for six years that had the best behaviour, but this one is being a bit of a monster.

I've had her for about a half year now. Adopted her at 2 weeks, so I had to hand feed her and wean her into proper food.

After she learned to fly she developed a love/fear relationship with my hands, during the night time she'd do anything she could to curl up in my hand and fall asleep, but when there's light she'd fly away from me and I'd end up chasing her around the house.

I made the decision to have a vet clip just a couple feathers, to still allow her (limited) flight, but now she seems to be plucking breast feathers and damaging her tail feathers.

Did I goof by clipping? I'm trying to avoid associating my hand with putting her into the cage, but she really doesn't like my hand when the room is light.
>>
>>2293345
Dude, all you had to this is hand him seeds every now and then, until he asociated youre hand with tasty food.
Another trick is to make a specic sound every time you give him food,, the bird eventually recognizes the sound and then you noly need to make it once fir him to come to your hands by himself.

One of my Rosellas (which I got at two weeks old and han fed her just like youdid with your tiel) got the hang of that in 4-5 days, the other one is really hand shy and gets scared easily, and yet I managed to get him onto my shoulders by doing this for two weeks. Take in account that Rosellas are known to be the least social parrots and it's stupidly hard to gain their trust, while tiels are quite easy to befriend.

>tl:dr
you fucked up, just give him food with your hands
>>
>>2293345
Why chase her around? She might just want some alone time or explore.
Just make sure she doesn't get into trouble and close off any potentially dangerous areas.

Clipping wings (even partially) is just removing a way from a bird to avoid "conflict" or "threat", they're not going to fully understand what is happenening to them, and can start plucking or become nippy.

Have you ever tried training her? That would help associate your hands with "good", even if it's just regular 10 minutes training sessions.

>>2293399
Welp, you beat me to it, still posting.
>>
File: 20160629_124132.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160629_124132.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2293405
>>2293399
Thanks for the advice, I never had the flying away issue with my macaw, even though he was never clipped, so I got spoiled by how clingy he was I suppose.
>>
>>2290357
This, we've been best friends ever since.
>>
File: IMG_0570.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0570.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
My birds enjoying some egg treats :3
>>
>>2293775
Your tiels like egg too? My budgie goes nuts when I make eggs in the morning. He'll even climb onto my fork to get a bite.
>>
My bird just forced me to escort him into the laundry room so he could inspect everything for 5 minutes. Why is he so obsessed with clothing?
>>
File: IMG_20170108_172652.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170108_172652.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
First time /an/ poster, this is wild

I have a piece of shit dumb bird, I do not know what the fuck is and what is his power level or potential. I want him to sing the Final Fantasy lv up jingle but I do not know where to start

pic related, my stupid fucking useless cute bird
>>
>>2294572
As much as I want to rant about people putting a cockatiel in a cage that'd barely be decent enough for a couple of finches... (seemingly without any toys, at that)

Do some research on how to keep one properly, first.

If you still want to teach it how to whistle after all that, make sure it's a male (they will learn tunes as a way to impress a potential mate).
Females are unlikely to do more than just random vocalizing or calls.

Then it's just a matter of trust-building and training.
>>
>>2294572 (suck)
>>
>>2284040

the fuck, bruh?
>>
>>2291985
Why is there a KVM switch on your heroin barbecue?
>>
>>2294854
lolwut the fuck is a heroin barbecue?

It's a HP server with a rackmount keyboard/LCD.

Data security is important anon. Furious cockatiels are the answer.
>>
File: 2017-01-09 12.04.18.jpg (518KB, 759x1063px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-09 12.04.18.jpg
518KB, 759x1063px
Birb
>>
Today as I walked out the office, I spotted a little bird curled up on the ground next the door. It was a minus 15 degrees snowing day and the poor thing has been freezing there unable to fly away. So I gently grabbed it with my gloves and ran to the car with my boyfriend to his parents house as we've promised to visit. During the journey I kept the bird warm and could feel its steady heartbeat and breathing. When we arrived his parents had prepared a small metal cage for birds, one that they had kept for decorating. I've released the bird there and we all found it was not a sparrow as I had thought initially. The bird looked pic related and we found out it was a hawfinch, I've never seen them in the wild before. So we've decided to leave the bird rest there as it was clearly still dizzy even though much more lively, even ate some seeds. I've been thinking to get a proper cage and keep it till March when the weather gets warmer. I googled a lot and found that these birds are of protected origins and also that they get used to captivity quite quickly. I don't know what to do anons, should I release the bird now and risk it to freeze up again or should we keep it till March (or forever if it gets too domesticated), providing a big cage and everything else to its needs?
>>
>>2295158

If you are sure you can treat it well and it's legally allowed to keep - you can go for it. From what I've read Hawfinches are really flegmatic\stoic and might not sing much. Beak is very strong so be careful with that. Like most finches you'd feed them with seeds, but they also really like berries.

I think there's nothing wrong to keep any wild bird if you don't fuck it up - they live longer that way.
>>
>>2295158

Let it go.

If it dies, it dies.

If it lives, it's a tough motherfucker and DESERVES to breed other tough motherfuckers.

By keeping it alive and allowing it to breed when it should have died, you are WEAKENING the entire fucking species, and condemning future birds to death.

Quit thinking about yourself and set your feelings aside for the sake of their species, and let nature run its course as intended.
>>
>>2295413
Ignore this guy
>>
>>2295504
If "protected origins" means endangered, then yes, removing one from the breeding population is a awesome idea, no?

Moron.
>>
>>2295839

Hawfinches are not endangered, I guess "protected origins" meant that they're protected by law.
>>
>>2295413
Hawfinches are though mofos de facto, they got about 50kg of pressure in their beak. Cool birds but they can be very shy and hard to approach in some places.
>>
Save the bird thread
>>
Yo guys. My dad has had 2 parakeets in his life (1 after the other) and the second one died a few months ago. He's been saying he wants another bird, and my family was thinking of getting him a Cockatiel for his birthday. Is this a good species for a former parakeet owner or...?
>>
>>2297255
A cockatiel will differ from a budgie in size, for one thing. He'll certainly require different cages. Food will probably be okay for being the same. IIRC cockatiels aren't as peppy as budgies but they like being handled more.
>>
>>2297264
Alright, thanks for the help. Time for more research!
>>
File: 1482864858920.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1482864858920.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>2297091
>>
So it was mentioned in another /an/ thread that birbs can end up viewing their owner as some kinda mate if handled improperly or something? Any truth to birbs developing "pathological" bonds with humans?
>>
>>2297297
Yes. The stroking of the back is a sexual behavior for birds so sometimes people who are not aware of this end up making the bird think they want sex.
>>
>>2297303
Thought it was the wings that did that and the back was a safe spot
>>
>>2297508
As far as I know, head and neck are safe spots. Wings, and the rest of the feathered body can be taken as sexual invitation if touched.
>>
Birdfag here for IDs of wild birds. No captive inmates.

>>2277285
Yellow-collared Lovebird
>>2278930
Lappet-faced Vulture
>>2283833
Orchard Oriole
>>2288303
>>2288355
Yellow-rumped Warbler. Myrtle subspecies female in winter plumage.
>>2288345 is an idiot.
>>2292272
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon ssp. Only a few every year in NJ. Nice find man! Please report this elsewhere (on Ebird maybe, make sure to select the subspecies) as it is likely still around. Other birders should know about this.
>>2292438
Eurasian Blackbird
>>2295158
Take to the closest wildlife rehab center. Google it. They struggle in captivity and if you release it in March it will get eaten. If you can't find a wildlife rescue/rehabilitation centre, release it. It will be better off.
>>2297091
Common Chaffinch
>>2297289
Waved Albatross
>>
>>2297722
>domesticated birds are "inmates"

I'm sure you think a well taken care of domesticated parrot would do much better if we just dumped it outside, huh?
>>
This here is my shitposting birb. Just got him and he seems to have a bad habit of biting me. Now maybe cause it's his first day at a new place but I don't want it to become a bad habit. What's a system where I can teach him not to bite?

Also is he a boy or a girl?
>>
Hey guys I want to get a birb but I have a lot of birds outside my house. Will it get sad if it can hear or see other birds that are free outside while it is inside?
>>
>>2298292
If it's his first day you shouldn't be taking him out of his cage.
>>
>>2298429
My bird is FUCKING FURIOUS at the birds outside and thinks they want his cheerios.
>>
>>2290234
lul
>>
>>2282394
let him play outside longer and don't feed him too much outside

once he'll be hungry he'll have to go back to his cage
>>
>>2282942
get them on your shoulders
>>
>>2291870
eat of my hands?

two weeks

being cuddled?

still can't manage it, maybe because he ain't hand raised
>>
>>2292666
conures and poicephalus family parrots are the less noisy

avoid lovebirds

>>2292714
give him stuff to chew on, avoid plastic and search the list of things you can give him(most bamboo and millet branches)

an old clothing,etc anything he can rip
>>
>>2293345
don't chase
if she don't want to then she don't want to
>>
>>2298292
give him stuff to bite, don't force him ,look on tutorials about hand handling
>>
>>2297794
It would do much better if raised and left in the species' place of origin, not stuck in a tiny metal cage with people around.

Bird isn't dead ≠ Bird is happy
>>
>>2298435
Today he's spending time in the cage
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.