[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Consciousness in animals of all kinds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 1481161009867.jpg (56KB, 550x390px) Image search: [Google]
1481161009867.jpg
56KB, 550x390px
Are animals comscious?

They live, right? They have a "soul" unlike an object, right?

What about an insect or a small fish, are they conscious?
>>
File: 1481075594280.jpg (53KB, 673x750px) Image search: [Google]
1481075594280.jpg
53KB, 673x750px
I think they are, mammals at least. As conscious as we are. They have complex relations and life, with complex problems they need to solve.

This
>>> ""ted talk"""
Video seems to say that animals are very conscious https://youtu.be/y9KeyKVuLHU
>>
Hell, rocks are conscious. Sure it's not as easy to understand their personality quirks and such but be nice to them and you might be surprised how it changes their erosion rate
>>
I compare dogs to infant children. I do believe most animals, especially dogs and cats, to be fully capable of awareness like an infant or young child. Self-aware? Probably not so much. And cats are just autistic babies.

I do care a lot about animals' happiness and do what I can with them to make them happy, which is usually just giving them something to do. I wish all conscious things well, but I don't believe it matters below a certain level of intelligence (I'd draw that line at... anything below a rat).
>>
I don't get How people can doubt it. If you owned a few animals in your life and really interacted with them, you know it to be true.
>>
>>2276755
Should I have my autistic baby declawed?
>>
>>2276693

Proven in 2013 that dogs are sentient creatures...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/opinion/sunday/dogs-are-people-too.html

Berns' study of dogs and how they relate to humans continues...

http://gregoryberns.com/
>>
>>2276712
>Also, the comments on that video gave me cancer.
Of course, ted talk always has.

Fun fact in my language "teds" are "special" kids.

So ted talk sounds like " retarded kids talk"
>>
>>2276693
Animals are obviously conscious. Just not anywhere near to the extent of humans. But to answer your questions regarding souls, in the Catholic/Christian/Jewish sense of the word, no animals do not have souls, only humans.
>>
File: 1286201419039.jpg (41KB, 313x355px) Image search: [Google]
1286201419039.jpg
41KB, 313x355px
>They have a "soul" unlike an object, right?
What does this even mean? Surely no one in 2017 still believes in souls right? Animals are only not an "object" because they live due to organs.
>>
>>2276693
Of course they're conscious. What sort of a hair-brained question is this?

It's not even a theory, it's obvious fact.
>>
>>2276791
I'm sure anyone can pick a religion that states animals have souls, though. So, they can have as many souls you want to believe.
>>
>>2276693
Not to be racist but Chinese probably think animals aren't conscious. They eat all animals. My Chinese friend looked at me silly when I wanted a kitten as a pet.
>>
>>2276800
kys
>>
>>2276791
It's complex in Abrahamic religions, cause remember that all those religions spawn from older animistic religions, that's why certain animals are unfit to eat in those religions.

>>2276806
And it extends to anyone with asian genes, plont it's only part chinese and he also thinks that animals don't have concience.

>>2276805
Yes, coolest part of being animistic.

>>2276712
This ultimately comes down to, when does conciousness starts, classic cartesianism put it on ontological self awareness, and it's him who popularized the fact that animals don't have souls, in western philosophy.

At the end of the day we are animals too, our bodies organs, and brains are variations of animals parts, and our conciousness if you are willing to believe in human conciousness, it's only a variation of animal conciousness.
>>
>>2276819
>At the end of the day we are animals too, our bodies organs, and brains are variations of animals parts, and our conciousness if you are willing to believe in human conciousness, it's only a variation of animal conciousness

Well said, very well said.
>>2276801
>>2276791
What about insects and fish?

I don't know why it's a little hard for me to believe they are conscious. I believe a little bit but I fear it's because I want to believe. Maybe ive been brainwashed too much by bugguy if he is still even alive
>>
>>2276693
It depends on your understanding and definition of consciousness.

>insects
Good deal of insects are basically biological robots, they basically just respond to stimuli, nothing else.

When you get into mammals and other higher order creatures, it gets complicated.
It's safe to say some animals are conscious, like elephants and dolphins, but there really isn't an easy way to tell.
Most likely, it comes in some sort of levels of complexity.
>>
>>2276693
Yeah I think so. They definitely have different personalities no one can deny that. I don't know about 'souls', but I'm sure they are aware of themselves and their situations.

>>2276694
Thanks anon, listening now.

>>2276755
>I compare dogs to infant children
>And cats are just autistic babies
Hilariously accurate. Dogs and cats are great.
>>
>>2276905
>aware of themselves and their situations
Of situation, yes. Of themselves tho?
>>
>>2276755
>cats are just autistic babies
put this on /an/'s banner pronto.
>>
>>2276694
that was a good talk until it got all preachy about the environment
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.