[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: We hate the AKC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 16

File: ThanksAgain.jpg (27KB, 400x316px) Image search: [Google]
ThanksAgain.jpg
27KB, 400x316px
I can do this from memory:

>Needle nosed collies
>Brain hernia spaniels
>roach backed shepherds
>rage cockers
>cancer retrievers dead at age 7 and that's "normal" now
>dysplasiac labs
>hydrophobic poodles
>psychotic dalmatians
>breathless puggs
>breathless bulldogs
>neurotic beagles
>inflamed weimaranners
>terminally allergic komondors
>pointers that don't point
>conformance border collies with drooped ears

Is there any functional breed in the world the American Kennel Club is not bent on ruining?

"Here's my Best In Show contender, Unicorn Snowflake Von Cousin/Cousine Doily Lace Lily Wrist, her skillset includes standing still while getting groped, and not audibly hacking up loogies while I strut her back and forth with a death grip on her choke lead to keep her head up. We're champions in the dog world. My other dog is the Blue ribbon field trialer Barron Der Corset Waist Pinkie Drinker. He's racked up more style points than any dog in history, including the low-life ones who actually put birds in the bag."

>mfw
>>
>>2274652
Are these all football team names?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161205-145617.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161205-145617.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
You forgot
>deaf Dalmatians
>>
File: LiteralHeadShrinkers.png (362KB, 541x700px) Image search: [Google]
LiteralHeadShrinkers.png
362KB, 541x700px
>>2274660
And,

>Ayy lmao bull terriers
>paralyzed dachsunds
>hemophiliac st bernards
>blind chows
>obese bassets
>smush faced cancer boxers
>still-born double-merle shelties
>>
>>2274652
>terminally allergic komondors

Go on?
>>
Whites.
>>
>>2274652
Why is the AKC specifically so fucked up? I'm not going to say my country's club is perfect, but it certainly isn't as bad as the AKC.
>>
>>2274729
the UKC is worse
>>
Almost as shitty as bullfighting desu.
>>
how did the akc make psychotic dalmatians? i thought that some are psychotic because idiots who watched 101 dalmatians and got one for their kid didn't have the slightest clue how much exercise they needed.
>>
File: 1834wq7mauzx.png (566KB, 700x675px) Image search: [Google]
1834wq7mauzx.png
566KB, 700x675px
What dog has the lowest maintenance in terms of health issues?

I'm looking for the Toyota Corolla of dog breeds, if you will.
>>
>>2274753
poodles of all sizes, border collies, pointers, and aussies are all pretty healthy dogs. or just get a mutt :3
>>
>>2274753
>>2274754
This. Mutts live forever barring freak accidents and bad owners.
>>
>>2274753
Somewhat ironically, borzoi, the breed in the OP's post, are very healthy, free of lots of health issues, and live a quite long time for a dog their size.
>>
>>2274652
Deformed skull bull terrier
>>
File: im ready anon.jpg (606KB, 1214x1627px) Image search: [Google]
im ready anon.jpg
606KB, 1214x1627px
Glad I have a pitbull and don't have to worry about weird genetic conditions
>>
>>2274729
Westminster Kennel Club has probably the most extreme (which means unhealthy) pedigree dogs that are winning amazing titles. Some of the dogs have had cosmetic surgery or visibly unhealthy and still get titles. Ever since it was found that they were euthanizing the healthier pups for not having a detrimental defect, the kennel club has been slowly cleaning up their act. AKC has it's own issues, most of which are done for money, like registering puppy mills or dogs that really shouldn't be registered (silver labs is a good example). AKC really doesn't seem to know what it's doing.

The UKC is just a fucking joke honestly.

>>2274830
APBTs are prone to food allergies and pollen allergies
>>
File: 1480004114913.jpg (23KB, 277x230px) Image search: [Google]
1480004114913.jpg
23KB, 277x230px
>>2274652
Any dog breed that gets popular in America is doomed to get its genetics fucking destroyed
>>
>>2274674
>Blind Great Danes
>Cancer ridden and joint issue ridden JRTs.
>Cancer ridden Golden Retrievers.
>Various breeds with wrinkles so pronounced that many dogs die of infections and abscesses.
>>
>>2274652
They didn't acknowledge Shih-tzus and Lhasa Apsos as separate breeds for a long time, just because they looked too similar

Shih-tzus are lazy, floppy and friendly companion lapdogs

Lhasa Apsos are guard dogs for temples and monasteries, have a slightly longer muzzle, larger, sharper teeth, much stronger jaw strength and a largely unfriendly disposition.

So in the US, the two breeds ended up being mixed together while still being passed off as 'purebred Shihtzus', leading to a breed being known as a friendly lapdog to occasionally tear off part of a person's face.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161206-222254.jpg (902KB, 1233x1745px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161206-222254.jpg
902KB, 1233x1745px
This is the worst case in my opinion.

Taking a once noble Mastiff Landrace and ending up with this in 40 years...
>>
>>2275030
It's like the ending to I have no mouth and I must scream. the people that caused this are monsters.
>>
File: cadaboms-neomass-notoro.jpg (52KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
cadaboms-neomass-notoro.jpg
52KB, 480x640px
>>2275030
>>
>>2275030
The poor things eyes.
It much cop a shitload of eye infections.
>>
>>2275030
>>2275040
Fucking roasties
>>
>>2275016
The AKC did stuff like that a lot. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier for example, they had the registry open to APBTs when they decided to allow them under a new name, then closed it, but reopened it to APBTs again I believe in the 70's for a time. Because of that whole nonsense, you can have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier dual registered as an American Pit Bull Terrier, but not the other way around, and a lot of AKB StaffBulls are dual registered because their dogs will win APBT confirmation but not StaffBull confirmation. This makes the DOS literally sometimes the same breed. They also let wiem/lab crosses in as dilute chocolate labs

They also misinterpreted old text of the pug standard because they can't understand punctuation, and disallow a pretty common color/marking because of it.
>>
>>2274695
I know two komondors. Both were rescued from "AKC" breeders. Both have immune disorders, which are genetic, which basically render the dogs allergic to everything. Grass. Soil. Pollen. They have to be kept in conditions of near surgical sterility or they break put in hives until the inflammation induces a cytokine storm and they seize. they will be lucky to see six years, and are lucky to belong to wealthy owners who can afford to provide clean-rooms and treatment.

There is a simple one-question test to identify a puppy mill. "Do you have inventory?" Yes is a puppy mill. Period.
>>
>>2274753
Since most of the genetic defects I'm ranting about require two recessive contributions from identical breed parents, the Mendelian grids agree with the observations: get a mutt of at least two different breeds.
>>
>>2274830
Are you a troll? Why do you do this? You and your brown lab that's totally not a pitbull.
>>
File: 2_dogs_edited-1.jpg (72KB, 557x236px) Image search: [Google]
2_dogs_edited-1.jpg
72KB, 557x236px
>>2274652
You almost forgot the inferior American doberman. The one breeders made weak, fragile, less muscular, less driven, less brave, less protective, all so Murican can buy them for their fat families because of cool movies and shit. Oh and it's known to be a complete nervous wreck. Meanwhile the European doberman is held to a higher standard for the most part and generally has less overall health problems and is braver, more muscular, more protective, braver, stronger drive than the American doberman.
>>
>>2275259
just ignore him.
>>
>>2275264
60% of pedigree Dobies worldwide have the recessive defect which causes them to drop dead of sudden cardiac arrest at any random time prior to age 8. If current breeding practices continue, it will be 100% by 2039.
>>
>>2275264
>>2275275
The better distinction, which in now way takes the AKC off of any of the many hooks it has placed itself upon, is the one between working Dobes and pets and show Dobes.

You described the ones that are bred to guard and defend places and persons.
>>
>>2275259
He's trying to force a really unfunny meme. Ignore it
>>
>>2275259
that is pretty clearly a pitbull, anon.
>>
>>2274652
>conformance border collies with drooped ears
More info on this please?
>>
>>2274989
Funny as it is a European thing adopted by Americans
>>
>>2274652
>OP pic is Borzois
Ironically they're one of the healthiest breeds.
>>
>>2275385
Yet dogs bred in Europe have much better genetics and less health issues that dogs bred in the US
>>
>>2274652
im claiming "Inflamed Weimaraners" as my band name. no stealzies
>>
>>2275387
True, but Britain doesn't count. They suck. Every other European country has better breeding than US and Britain though.
>>
OK, maybe you anons can help me...where does one find a good dog these days?

I grew up in farm country. Everybody had herding dogs and working dogs, and they just kind of ran loose. When you needed a dog, you went down to the nearest "town", which was usually little more than a feed store and a stop sign, and asked around to see who had puppies. That, or somebody would of left a box of free puppies in front of the feed store.

If you wanted a type of dog in particular, you went through the local paper's livestock section and looked under "free puppies"

If you picked a dog that didn't work out, you could always trade it to somebody else. For instance, we once had a Queensland Heeler that was a great herding dog, but it loved to bite people and hated kids. We traded it to a mean old misanthrope rancher and those two got on like a house on fire. He gave us a mellow Aussie mix in exchange that was worthless as a watchdog, but good with kids.

Anyway. Point is, I live in a wealthy city on the coast now and finding a dog is damn near impossible. Rescues are all special needs and cost a thousand bucks. Backyard bred puppies have no guarantees and cost a thousand bucks. And AKC bred dogs are, well, papered and inbred and probably cost a thousand bucks. Everything except backyard bred puppies requires an application, references, and a waitlist.

What's my best bet? The AKC breeders actually offer home visits, do health guarantees, and seem to have some kind of vetting process.

Is it all bullshit, or are there some good ones out there?

And where does one even find mutt puppies anymore?
>>
>>2274806
its not like mutts are automatically healthy, with people letting all kinds of dogs fuck each other compared to GOOD breeders who have all kinds of health testing done on their pets. Also at least in Finland you can just check the breeders litters, dogs heritage, life spans of the dogs, how many litters each dog has done, health tests done, sports and show results, etc. Mutts have none of that, but what they generally have had are irresponsible owners who cant be arsed to snibeti snab the balls and wombs off.

Also AKC and britbong KC a SHIT, focusing only on showing you retard anglo niggers
>>
>>2275367
Its pretty funny desu.
>>
What are the current breeds Amercians are trying to fuck up? Most retrievers have already been done with.

Currently they are
>Aussies with show lines and mini and micro and nano aussies
>Border collies with visual breed standards and show lines

Cane corsos maybe? Trying to turn a guard dog into a family pet once again.

Also Australians are sand americans should be banned from owning any kind of double coated dogs. California included. As for britbongista we should just rescue to dogs and drown the island, its too far gone to save it
>>
>>2275259
Are you blind?
>>
>>2275264
You forgot to mention that it's braver
>>
>>2275030
The fact that that exists is animal abuse.
>>
Trying to keep Breeds pure will eventually result in inbreeding and more and more genetic defects until keeping the breed alive is nothing but a sick and twisted joke. We can enjoy them for now, but soon, new breeds will have to emerge, probably from selectively breeding mutts
>>
>>2274753
>upvote this pupper

go back
>>
>>2275583
Animal shelters for mutts
For specific purebreds research the breed online, then try to find local clubs for that breed. This will get you contact info on breeders, just be selective.
>>
>>2275583
Try Petfinder maybe? Or your local pound

Be aware that the AKC puppies will cost FAR more than a thousand bucks. More like a couple thousand

I got my mutt puppy from a Saturday petsmart adoption event, maybe that's a thing where you are too? I live in a fairly wealthy west coast town. $300 and fully vetted, not bad at all considering what the breeders charge
>>
File: ConformanceDamagedBC.jpg (155KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
ConformanceDamagedBC.jpg
155KB, 640x427px
>>2275380
an example from a random google search. In the US, this trait has emerged as a marker for conformance bred border collies. Note, the breed standards don't matter. This is about preciousness as a psychopathology. Drooped ears are "cute" so they've been selected. It's not as bad as the dogastrophe Crufts is perpetrating against GSDs, but droop eared BCs don't herd. They can't be taught to either. They are ruining the working part of the dog.
>>
>>2275583
I trolled my county rescue shelter for six months. I visited seven dogs and rejected them on various bases. The volunteers thought I wasn't serious, but it was just the opposite - I was dead serious. I was going to adopt a shelter mutt and make it into a versatile hunting dog.

Eighth time was the charm. Genetic test revealed I had adopted a "spanador" spaniel lab mutt. Flushes, courses, retreives from water and cover. Steady to shot. $125.

It can be done. Shelters also have special events throughout the year where they discount the adoption fee.
>>
>>2275711
Its not like there arent conformance BC's that cant herd, or that there arent herding BC's with droopy ears. Its just that conformance breeders rarely care about herding ability, and herding BC's dont really care about looks as long as they arent caused by some disadvantageous gene.

That one GSD in westminster/crufts with its rear legs basically under its stomach was fucking disgusting. Britbong island sinking best day of my life.
>>
File: CruftsRochbackedGSDWinner.jpg (182KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CruftsRochbackedGSDWinner.jpg
182KB, 2048x1536px
<Winner
>>
File: 1328544311004.jpg (24KB, 627x535px) Image search: [Google]
1328544311004.jpg
24KB, 627x535px
>>2275802
poor doggo, its not its fault :( I remember that the owner "felt insulted" and claimed that people dont know anything about the breed. Fuck dog shows.
>>
>>2274652

Any word on AKC poodles?

I hear poodles in general are pretty healthy.
>>
>>2275802
This year's gsd at Westminster was a flat backed GSD, I was flabbergasted.

It didn't even win it's group though. I don't think he was even picked as a potential.
>>
>>2275711
Are you really comparing that with fucking pugs?
>>
>>2275711
>They are ruining the working part of the dog.
I dont see the issue with a different line for work and show as long as the show line is healthy. It almost never is, but still.
>>
>>2275715
>lying on the internet
>>
Ausfag here.
My neighbour breeds "show quality pugs", one day she literally complained to me about the cost of surgery for the pugs so that they can breathe properly.

How can breeders be so delusional that they don't recognise the root cause of their problems?
>>
>>2275030
>>2275040
For what purpose

I don't understand
>>
File: Screenshot_20161208-220420.jpg (1MB, 1393x2429px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161208-220420.jpg
1MB, 1393x2429px
>>2276208
Who the fuck knows... its bizzare. This is a Cane da Presa, add a little English Mastiff and some Bloodhound and you can outbreed functionality in just a few generations.
>>
>>2276212
cute dog
>>
>>2275955
This is how it starts. Choose a trait for its appearance appeal. Then another. And so on
>>
>>2275711
They also seem to be shorter in the leg, shorter snouts, large foreheads and obvious stops, and huge fluffy coats.

Have you seen AKC herding events? They're hilarious
>>
I'm pretty sure the organisation in my country got some praise in Pedigree Dogs Exposed. At least we're doing something right.
>>
>>2276434

yeah, the AKC breeders seem to live in a weird echochamber of their own when it comes to working dogs.

I grew up on a ranch, and we used collies and Aussie shepherds as working dogs. None of them were papered, but they came from long lines of other working dogs.

Somebody gave us an AKC prize-winning Aussie once, after she was done having puppies. She had the sweet Aussie personality, but had no instincts for herding and was untrainable. She was very low intelligence compared to the other dogs.

Some of the wealthier ranchers raised purebred collies, but never worked the show dogs. I remember them being snippy and neurotic.

About ten years ago, I met a woman who claimed to be breeding mini Aussies, and improving the standard lines by making them fluffier and changing the confirmation to be more like corgis, essentially. When she first told me she owned Aussies, I immediately asked if she used them as working dogs, and don't think I've ever seen anyone so offended.

I never understood how you could fuck up a gene pool so much in just a couple of generations. It's like they were intentionally pulling out the most useless, least dog-like dogs and breeding them for qualities like ear-shape, because they thought if it looked interesting in a picture, people would be more likely to pay a lot for the puppies.

At any rate, the AKC breeders I've met have tended to be the same assholes who think you need a helicopter ride and thousands of dollars worth of semi-automatic weapons to bag a deer, and call it living close to the land.
>>
>>2276468
it jsnt much better for non-work dogs, but it takes some weird fucking logic to say "let's breed these work dogs based on looks, not performance" like wtf? have dog shows of them performing feats? whats so hard /unwanted about that?
>>
>>2275932
Not for long
>>
>>2275932
The AKC is working tirelessly to change that.
They will not rest until at least 60% if the breed is unable to survive adolescence without an iron lung.
>>
>>2275711
I thought border collies could have drop, semi-prick, or fully erect ears? I don't think the type of ears they have affects their health or performance as a herding dog.

Unless you're saying that these dogs are being bred/selected solely for the aesthetic of droopy ears and thus they're no longer selecting for dogs with herding instinct/ability?

Either way, maybe I don't have a good eye for it, but the dog you posted looks like a normal border collie to me
>>
>>2275787

>>2276674 here

Ok, gotcha, I understand what you're saying, nevermind. Thanks
>>
AKC =/= breed clubs
breed clubs make the breed standard not the akc
>>
>>2276676
AKC sets the bar though, people compete to win, and by accepting an unhealthy standard the AKC is responsible for the many deformities in modern breeds.
>>
>>2274652
haha long boy
>>
So which dog has been bread with the biggest cock?
>>
>>2277069
Newfoundlands, Great Danes, Rottweilers, but it's not exactly a direct correlation, same as it is for men.
That said, I doubt a Chihuahua is going to have a knot the size of a grapefruit.
>>
>>2277069
German shepherds
>>
>>2275277
But even the European doberman show dogs are held to the same standard.
>>
>>2276750
Breed clubs push for change in the standard. Although you can bet money heavily influences the AKC's decision.
>>
>>2277125
One day I will have enough money to forgo all men and adopt a male g shep as my husbando and boyfriend
>>
Don't forget that the average rottweiler lifespan gas drastically gone down. Being bred too big is a bitch.
>>
>>2277182
This should be our banner
>>
>>2277161
Doesn't matter, the AKC hold the competitions and their standards decide the decision, they could change status quote, but they don't.
>>
>>2275591
Americans are fucking up apbt's pretty bad making bullys. Taking a dog normally found to be between 30 and 60 pound balanced athletic dogs. Turning them into the 80 plus pound stumpy bow legged dog with a disproportionatly large head, and don't get me started on the 150+ pound monstrosities that totally aren't mastiff crosses. Then there are the exotic breeds that have Boston terrier mixed in to make the pocket pit.
>>
>>2275259
Responding is the worst response you could have given
>>
>>2275583
Go find a working line of dogs of your choice. They are bred to be healthier and perform their job. Working gsd's with flat backs tend to be a lot healthier than their akc bretheren. Same with any of the bird or hound dogs. Red bone and walker hounds are incredibly healthy dogs if they come from working lines.
Don't be afraid to travel for the right dog. I couldn't find any decent apbt breeders that had actual game dogs in my state. They all had the blue fathead types for well over a grand. So I ended up driving 600 miles to Colorado and picking up a pup for $600 bucks.
>>
>>2275591
I think the English and American bulldogs are getting pretty fucked. More and more wrinkles, heads so large they can't give natural births. Tons of breathing and skin problems. They have come a long way from the catch dogs of yesteryear. Thankfully there's still breeders that produce working lines. And they are beautiful dogs.
>>
File: IMG_2693.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2693.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2274652
>needle nosed collies
All they did was cross them with Borzois to give the breed a unique aesthetic without causing any health problems. The real problem with Collies is that breeders are greedy bastards and continue to use dogs that carry breed specific genetic defects (Collie eye, MDR1) as breeding stock and perpetuating these diseases in the gene pool because they're too cheap to use healthy animals.
>>
>>2277398

The problem is that collies have a very different bone structure and genetics than the Borzoi.

Borzoi are sighthounds, like greyhounds, salukis, afghans, deerhounds etc. They come by that long, tall, lanky, narrow build naturally, and it has developed over thousands of years. Sighthounds are among the oldest breeds, and the ancestors of the borzoi had that body type even in the times of ancient Egypt and Greece

Collies, under all that hair, are actually pretty squat, sturdy, solid little dogs with naturally square heads.

Breeding long noses in the collie actually changed its skull shape. Their heads are proprotionally tiny compared to their bodies, now. Those very typey, AKC needle-nosed collies actually have smaller, flatter brains because of a flattened, foreshortened brain pan, and are remarkably less intelligent than a regular collie.

Some vets suspect that collie breeders are very close to seeing the same issues in collies that you see in smaller spaniel breeds, where the skull becomes so small and flat that stops growing long before the brain does. The pressure on the dogs brain in a skull that is too small causes brain damage, seizure disorders, extreme pain, and eventual death.
>>
>>2275259
He literally has autism
>>
>>2277526
Correct. Stupid, useless former working dogs.
>>
Also nothing to do with the AKC, the breed having originated in Russia.

We bred them for years here in England. Utter sight-hounds, not good off the lead, but quite relaxed and as you say, no inherent health issues.
>>
Also this is more of a preference thing than a health problem but the collie breeders here in the US are making the eyes smaller which isn't nearly as beautiful as classic collies.
>>
>>2274652
>>2274674
>>2274729
>>2275030
>>2275264
>blaming this all on one club

>ITT People who know nothing about the AKC and what they do as the main USA club
This is from their official youtube channel, where they post syposiums for people to become better breeders and share amazing amount of knowledge
>https://youtu.be/napTrBeEQiA?t=2m
Whenever I post this shit, where breeders aren't actually what people make them out to be, no one ever replies.
No one ever wants to look at the larger picture as to what the AKC actually is, and totally ignore the good, reputable breeders that are trying to create healthy and beautiful breeds.

>here's the playlist if you ever want to listen:
https://youtu.be/napTrBeEQiA?list=PLPfEv_pKgm7cNpJOciStpwxssCZciBXmH

No single club creates a breed (ex; pug), they're all the same with every club, be it UKC, CKC (cad), or AKC. General breeds of purebred dogs are unhealthy, but AKC is trying to make them better, less fucked up, and healthy. You would understand this if you became more involved instead of listening to your circle jerk echo chamber.

Registered breeders are considered (90% of the time) reputable, or hobby breeders. Which are the only ones you should ever go to when considering BUYing a dog.

>>2275802
PS: I read up that a lot of GSDs are trained to walk like that.
>>
>>2280335
Then explain why dogs were bred to these retarded standards that make them come out all fucked up.
>>
>>2280340
If you listen to the playlist, they explain that.

Breeders over the course of hundreds of years decide what the breed standard is, because everyone has a vision on what that dog should be. The standard is kept vague for this very purpose. They eventually end up with a different dog and the standard changes.

Look into beef cattle for similar results and their "breed standard" from hundreds of years ago.

Also, if you're looking in the right places, these dogs aren't 'fucked up'.

Look at the shiba inu standard. They really don't want that one to change, everything measurement is mathematical.
>>
>>2274819
Mmmm... I want to disagree, but I think you are technically right, in that they don't have internal health issues. They are built for accidents, however, like a man walking on stilts. The man may be physically healthy but could easily crack some bones in the wrong circumstance.
>>
Dogs were better off when they were actually bred for an actual purpose. The only people who really need dogs are farmers, hunters or anyone else who needs working dogs. But nope, we have these shitty fucking bybers and these stupid fucking "show" breeders who are just bybers who sell their dogs for more than they are worth.
>>
>>2280367
Now that I think about it, the thing that makes breeding shitty is its totally one ofthose pyramid schemes. Someone sells you a dog at an insane price saying you can sell the pups it produces to your friends for an insane price. The only reason prices are so high is the next person wants to make even more dough than the last. The people who fall for those schemes are always white trash to lazy to get a real job.
>>
>>2280359
Protip, if you have to scour the world for an example of the breed that isn't genetically deformed, then the AKC and all of its ilk have destroyed the breed.
>>
>>2280411
Question. Which breeds haven't been bred into the ground by sickos?
>>
>>2280416
Farm fresh working breeds.
ACDs, Border Collies, Kelpies, etc.

They are the smartest, least deformed and generally fittest dogs you can buy, and generally cost about $100 from your local farmer.
>>
>>2280427
Yeah, I figured it would be farm breeds like that.
>>
>>2280416
Honestly, for most breeds you can look up working lines or old style lines and find much healthier animals.
Pic related is a working line Neo Mastiff, which is a huge difference from the show line like >>2275030
>>
Nobody here knows that show lines and working lines are BOTH from reputable breeders.
People have dogs that they show, and then dogs that they breed. Breeding quality, and dogs that can finish.

Everyone here hates AKC for reasons that are actually untrue, and in a way it's frustrating.

I'm working to become a breeder, and hearing everyone say all of these things about the AKC makes me think I'm talking to a bunch of mentally challenged individuals.
>>
>>2280411
>looking up breeders near you on AKC is "scouring the world"
How lazy are you that you wouldn't drive around 8 hours (which is what I did for my dog) to pick up a healthy dog that will be with you for 12-20 years, depending on breed?
>>
>>2280733
You mad a lot assumptions and a lot of points and then didn't back any of them up.

Working breed is generally used to refer to a dog whose breeding was planned, and where the main purpose of the dog's breeding is to 'work', which isn't always a necessary job or a job the dog was bred for. These dog can be from AKC or any other kennel club, the dogs can be purebred or not. But usually when talking about working lines it's quality bred and not byb shit or an oops litter. If you want to go into it deeper, there are breeds with lines known and working lines, but for the most part no one knows the lineage of the dog being posted here

Show dog is a way to say a dog that were bred to be as close to the standard as possible, with the intention to win confirmation shows and ribbons and medals, which are obviously bred at least somewhat responsibly even if it's controversial. Not all show dogs are bad quality, not all show dogs are AKC.

A dog can do 'work' and also compete in confirmation. Not everyone is saying the breeders aren't reputable, people are just questioning the ethical side of some breeding practices. What kind of dog are you breeding?
>>
>>2274753
Is this reddit?
>>
File: 1480349273972.png (25KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
1480349273972.png
25KB, 750x400px
>>2280827
Yes. Shit river has diverted itself right in to our little Taiwanese finger painting forum. It's across most boards, but this one won't be affected because it's full of faggots already.
>>
>>2280736
You had to drive 8 hours to find a dog that isn't deformed due to aesthetic breeding?

I literally bought my dogs from my neighbour, because one of his cattle dogs had a litter.
They haven't skipped a beat in 6 years (not counting the time one of them got into some milk and got the runs).
>>
>>2280922
If you want to find a reputable breeder sometimes you need to travel. I can get scammed with a byb mutt from my neighbor too.
>>
>>2280957
>Reputable breeder
No such thing, either BYBers who perpetuate inbreeding or breeders that follow the trend set by show dogs and create debilitating physical defects in dogs for aesthetic qualities.
>>
>>2280969
So the only moral option is adopt from a shelter or a breed-specific rescue?
>>
>>2280972
Or just ignore breeds and buy a pup from healthy parents.

Just go to a farming area and look around for whoever has a litter or a litter coming soon.
You can't go wrong with working dogs.
>>
>>2280969
If you listen to the AKC symposiums, they touch on the subject of how horrible it is when shitty breeders follow fads.
You're obviously not looking in the right places.

>>2280972
no
Go to a reputable breeder.
>>
>>2280784
God fucking dammit. I linked you an entire playlist from reputable breeders that backs up everything about what I said you lazy shit.
Don't say I didn't give any backup to my points just because you're too lazy to listen to a few videos.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=napTrBeEQiA&list=PLPfEv_pKgm7cNpJOciStpwxssCZciBXmH>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=napTrBeEQiA&list=PLPfEv_pKgm7cNpJOciStpwxssCZciBXmH>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=napTrBeEQiA&list=PLPfEv_pKgm7cNpJOciStpwxssCZciBXmH>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=napTrBeEQiA&list=PLPfEv_pKgm7cNpJOciStpwxssCZciBXmH>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=napTrBeEQiA&list=PLPfEv_pKgm7cNpJOciStpwxssCZciBXmH
>>
>>2280416
I have a purebred English Mastiff that doesn't seem to have any purposeful genetic defects. What I researched before I adopted her said that the breed has basically been the same for centuries. I'm not very knowledgeable on any other breeds, though.
>>
>>2280980
No, no you didn't.

This >>2280733 was your post I replied to. No links retard. Fucking lurk more before posting on 4chan. Maybe you think everyone is retarded because you have autism and can't communicate
>>
>>2280979
Then they go ahead and reinforce the practice.

I doubt you could find an association breeder that doesn't tend towards hyperbolic traits.
>>
>>2280978
I mean, considering some people live in flats, you can go wrong with a high energy working breed.
>>
>>2280991
If your life doesn't fit dogs, the remedy is to not get dogs instead of buying a terminally ill genetic freak.
>>
>>2280996
Christ, anon. Some people just don't want a hound or a herder and there's nothing wrong with that. In my country, dogs are allowed almost anywhere so they're taken all over my city. People have all breeds, mutts too, and I've yet to encounter an ill-behaved dog in public. I appreciate that you want what's best for dogs, but you don't need to live out in the country to give a dog a good quality of life.
>>
>>2280997
>City
Well there's your problem.

If you can't walk a dog, or spend time on a dog, the solution isn't to buy a genetic deformity and lock it up in a tiny apartment for the most of the day.

If your life doesn't fit dogs, don't buy dogs.
>>
>>2280991
If you live in a flat and have a high energy dog, you take this fucker out and tire him. It's simple, Anon.
>>
I've never had and will never have an AKC registered dog because:
1. They're too expensive
2. You can get a backyard bred, large breed dog with the same or a lesser disposition for major health issues for 50-200 dollars lmao
>>
>>2281037
Nah, it's only possible to own a dog if you have acres of land for it to run around on. Otherwise you're just a monster, apparently.
>>
>>2281040
Lmao that's not what they are saying. Don't get a fucking dog if you are gonna be an abusive shit and lock it in a cage all day.
>>
>>2281039
Thing is now non-backyard breeders abuse genetic tests to pair up only healthy dogs, who will then have healthy puppies, dodging the breed's "common" problems entirely. BYBs don't do that.
>>
>>2281043
I don't give a fuck, I'd never pay over 200 for a dog.
>>
>>2281045
Think about it like this
>get byb dog
>pay thousands on vet bills
>pay hundreds on vaccinations
>get special medication when diagnosed with, I don't know, hip dysplasia, for eventual thousands

>get dog from rep breeder
>pay for vaccinations (not the first set, because they come with them) which still is a few hundred
>have beautiful and healthy purebred which later dies of old age as a happy pupper

I would rather have the latter, spending at most 2k on a dog with health guarantees and verified pedigree.
>>
>>2281042
I was being sarcastic, but apparently you missed that. I'm against crating and my dog is never alone for more than 1-2 hours each day. It's very possible to have a happy, healthy dog in an apartment. But >>2281000 thinks that dogs can't live happy lives in a city.

But we're really derailing the thread. I don't have a KC registered dog and frankly don't know the standards in my country. I see a mix of purebreds and mutts but I'm not sure if BYBs or established breeders are more common. Shelters are super far outside the city, and I've never seen a stray--only a homeless person it's a dog or two.
>>
>>2281046
I love purebred dogs but you can't deny that some breeds, even those from reputable breeders, are just more susceptible to a host of health problems and can set you back thousands. I have a Pei and she's mercifully healthy, but I've seen a ton of Pei owners crowdfunding for eye tacking, respiratory surgery, Shar Pei fever... And these are pups that come from respected breeders.
>>
>>2281046
Or just adopt from a shelter. They do all the stuff breeders do, for way less than the actual breeder's charge. Breeders breed for money. If there was no money in it, they wouldn't breed dogs.
>>
>>2281075
Sure, if you want to gamble what temperament the dog has and if it does well with children, cats, and families in general.
Oh and that it isn't a shit bull.
>>
>>2281074
Getting a shar pei is you just asking for eye problems.
Any dog with wrinkly and loose face skin is prone to that. That's one of the unhealthier breeds, right next to pugs.
You know 35% of them have eye problems, right?

I know some breeds are fucked up, but not all of them
>>
>>2281075
Not to be a dick, but shelters don't do all that breeders do. They employ some amazing people and often have vets/vet techs on staff to work to keep pets healthy, but the amount of attention and socialization that litters get from breeders is just not something you can compare.

I love and support shelters, but really think >>2281079 has a point. Most shelters I've been to were overrun with pits/pit mixes, and oftentimes it's a gamble what the dog will be like. I wouldn't discourage someone from adopting, but it comes with its own challenges.
>>
>>2281081
Yup, well aware. She has insurance and is carefully monitored because of the potential. She isn't an overly wrinkly Pei but she isn't a bone mouth, so she's still considered overbred.

I'm not trying to get on any kind of high horse. This thread is about many breeds getting fucked by humans overbreeding them, and yeah I'm guilty of owning a breed that has the potential for health issues. I was just pointing out that, even from reputable breeders with perfect pairs, some breeds will just have issues.
>>
>>2281072
I don't think that at all, I think that a lot of people who live in the city live lives that should preclude them from owning pets.
>>
>>2281046
Or...

>Buy unhealthy, bred for aesthetics dog that is genetically predisposed to dozens of different conditions.
>Think you're somehow safe from that because you paid more money.
>End up with a dog that lives with almost perpetual pain, but it's okay because it's cute.
>>
>>2274652
(((Dennis B. Sprung)))
>>
>>2281089
I took your statements the wrong way, then. I apologize. I think bad and good owners can live anywhere and own any type of dog. DESU I think I just got overly sensitive since I'm a city dweller.
>>
>>2281094
Kek, city dwellers tend to be.

But you have to admit, so many people from big cities think of pets as accessories and not as pets.
>>
>>2281090
See: >>2281043
Reasonable breeders definitely test their dogs before letting them breed.
>>
>>2281147
That doesn't address aesthetic qualities that cause constant pain and suffering for the animals affected.
>>
>>2281082
I personally think shelters are best for people who either want an older, relaxed dog, or people who want a bit of a challenge. Shelter puppies especially, they are puppies on hard mode desu.

>>2281082
A dog being a pit bull doesn't mean dick, especially since pit bull isn't a breed.

I would still much rather have the general population adopt a shelter animal and ruin that animal for life than get a brand new byb animal and ruin it for life so it can end up at a shelter or die
>>
>>2281154
aesthetic isn't always bad.
Aesthetic just means the dog is pretty, dumbass.
>>
>>2281085
I guess since most days now dogs don't have as much of a purpose anymore, the ones that were bred with loose skin are just getting fucked over.
>>
>>2281175
>A dog being a pit bull doesn't mean dick, especially since pit bull isn't a breed.
That doesn't stop people from calling them incorrectly, when they're actually staffys.
>A dog being a pit bull doesn't mean dick
>being a pit bull doesn't mean dick
>pit bull
Here's the dog bite statistics from 2016 >first result is a pitbull attack on a child.
http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2016.php
>Oh! They're so friendly!
>look at that big smile!
>>
>>2281530
>posts a blog written by a jew
>>
>>2281536
What's your point?
I think you're bringing too much /pol/ with you, dumbass.
>>
>>2281530
>using dogsbite as a source
You do realize that their list of attacks isn't regulated by anyone aside from themselves, right? It's a glorified blog. They just blindly take news headlines they see and catagorize them into statistics. Never fact checking the news articles, which are notorious for being inaccurate/incomplete, especially with how hard it is to accurately assign a label to a mixed breed dog based on looks alone. And never mind that they can completely cherry pick what they include in these "statistics", since they have no standard to uphold and can just post whatever they want no matter how accurate or innacurate because again, they're just essentially a blog

Use reputable sources if you want your arguments to be taken seriously. Don't be a sheep that believes any number with a % in front of it or any info from a site with .org

>>2281082
>but the amount of attention and socialization that litters get from breeders is just not something you can compare.
well a lot of shelters send any dog under 6 months to a foster home. It's a bit different these days
>>
>>2281563
Well, I figured since the first 4 results when searching fatalities (and google recommending it), that it would be reputable, BUT HEY!
Here's a wikipedia source!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States#Fatalities_reported_in_2016
>>
>>2281568
>Wikipedia
>still using news headlines
RIP
>>
>>2281585
There's literally no other website except for feminism bullshit that just LOVEEEE pitbulls, that relate to fatalities anyways.

You're like a christian that says if I can't prove god doesn't exist then he MUST exist.
>>
>>2281590
>You're like a christian that says if I can't prove god doesn't exist then he MUST exist.
Or anon could just be using common sense, and not believing everything they read on the Internet.
>>
>>2281600
I've given two sources, the only ones that actually keep track of dog bite fatalities.
What else can I prove?
>waaah it's not reputibibbibale!
>muh pitbull is a good boi
>he din du nuffin
>the internet is ALWAYS wrong!!!!!
>>
>>2281590
No, you just don't like looking past Facebook, like most people.

https://www.cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/20123181077
http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/journals/10.1163/156853000x00020
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2752/089279388787058713?journalCode=rfan20

I'd post more but 4chan thinks it's spam. Take note these are books and articles based on tests and studies, not on news headlines which is what >>2281568 uses, or baseless claims like that blog. Maybe there is a reason that you can only find blogs that back up your claims?
>>
>>2281527
Frog legs
Folded ears
Respiratory issues

All caused by breeding for aesthetics.
>>
>>2281654
So don't get those breeds?
>>
>>2281657
Basically any dog bred for aesthetics has negative traits bred into them.

There's a reason why working dogs are the smartest, fittest and longest lived.
>>
>>2281661
But working breed dogs like border collies and heelers have still been bred with a look in mind
>>
>>2281759
Show lines are and it's literally destroying the capability of the breed, show examples of Border Collies and Kelpies are already having issues learning how to herd.
That's what happens when aesthetic qualities are chosen over functional qualities.

Traditional working dog lines were bred by farmers who preferred specific traits, ie. a thick coat on English sheepdogs, fast twitch muscle on Kelpies, intelligence in Border Collies.

But at the end of the day, they picked the dogs that worked the best, were the healthiest and lived the longest.
>>
>>2274751
They were psychotic since they were created. The AKC just gave them more health problems.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.