[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Barking Dogs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

We're thinking of getting a pup next year (boxer) but the neighbours' dogs bark constantly/regularly. Any tips for making sure ours doesn't pick up the habit?

Common sense tells me that leaving a dog alone for a whole day while you go to work, especially while young, is going to cause trouble (we're not in that situation, so that's good). And to leave the dog in incrementally longer durations so he always knows you're coming back?

I grew up on a farm so we never had a problem with our dogs learning bad habits from the neighbours. Suburbia is new territory for me.
>>
my mom just got a yorkie pup and we're trying the cage training hes crying like fuck as i type this, try to ignore it but it goes on so long its fucking ridiculous, need tips like yourself.
>>
Bump?
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 286x176px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 286x176px
If you want a dog not to bark why get a boxer then? Why not get a bullmastiff there very quiet and sleep most of the time.
Especially good if your at work.
>>
>>2273882
>If you want a dog not to bark why get a boxer then?
Boxers aren't naturally yappy.
>>
>>2273841
You need to focus on teaching your dog that it's okay to be alone first. Spend some time with the dog, then leave the dog alone for a few seconds. If no fussing, reward. Slowly increase the length of time as you go.

I think you should also stop crate training for the moment. You're shooting yourself in the foot by having the dog associate bad things with the crate. The crate should be a nice, quiet alone time for the dog, not associated with abandonment. Give it a break, work on the abandonment issues, then try the crate training again.
>>
File: dog_barking_at_me_as_usual.jpg (144KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
dog_barking_at_me_as_usual.jpg
144KB, 900x675px
>>
What do you even do about barking dogs? Why do they just stand there barking at nothing?
>>
>>2273886
This. Also, start scattering treats and things in there throughout the day.

One thing that worked with my pupper is to have it sit with you by the crate, throw a few treats inside as it watches, shut the crate door and leave the room. In a couple of minutes it'll be begging you to let it at them. When you open it, big praise for stepping in.
>>
>>2274203
>Why do they just stand there barking at nothing?
Dogs have a different level of perception than we do. Dogs can hear/smell things we can't, so a nervous/bored/anxious dog will pick up on neighbors moving around, squirrels in the yard, cars driving by, etc that we don't notice. And unless corrected, their barking is a self-perpetuating behavior-- if they bark their brains out at say, the mailman, the act of the stimulus entering and leaving on its own just teaches the dog that their barking is the only thing keeping the mailman from murdering the family.

>What do you even do about barking dogs?

First of all, you teach the dog that being alone is not a bad thing. That can involve crating (if done correctly), playing the radio/tv when you're gone, leaving treats around, etc. Obedience training is a huge help because it builds trust between you and the dog.

Second, you make sure your dog is getting enough exercise so that it's not a bundle of energy all day and so bored that it focuses on random noises. Barking is natural, but bored dogs will find anything to bark at.

Third, train the dog to stop barking without using your own voice. Yelling at the dog only teaches it that you like to bark too. Pennies in a can are great-- when the dog starts barking immediately toss the can in their direction to startle them (but don't hit them with it, for christssake) and the second they stop barking say "ENOUGH" as sternly as possible. Then call them to you and reward them. If they go back to barking just keep interrupting and redirecting them until they stop, removing the stimulus if possible. If the dog wants to bark at something and you're not at home to correct them, then you've got to confine the dog to a part of the house where it can't see/hear what sets it off. That's where crating can be a huge help.
A friend of mine recently adopted a blind cattle dog.
"When a dog barks alone in an apartment, does it make a sound?"
"Yes. Yes it does."
>>
buy a god race like golden retirever or saluki
>>
>>2273840
My sister has a Corgi and that fucking thing will bark at literally anything. And it will bark over and over and it's loud as fuck too.
It's annoying as fuck and I can't stand it.
>>
But get one whe. Someone knocks so a robber can't break in
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.