[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So me and my Girlfriend just got pic related. (He moves to us

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 12435678976453.jpg (143KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
12435678976453.jpg
143KB, 1024x768px
So me and my Girlfriend just got pic related.
(He moves to us in about two weeks)

What advice would you give to two individuals who have both grown up with dogs in their homes, but never as adults?

Also, post anything GSD relatedin this thread!
>>
Train him while he's young.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks
>>
>>2272590
>getting a dog with your gf

So...who's gonna take it when/if you break up?
>>
>>2272599

>So...who's gonna take it when/if you break up?

Well, we both love dogs so he won't be abandoned if that's what you are thinking about.

It's my name on the certificate of ownership though, so most likely it would me me.

>>2272598

>Train him while he's young.

The training will start at once.

>Sit
>Come
>Fetch
>Lay Down

Any more basic commands you should do right away?
>>
Untrained GSD is the world of pain forever. Training GSD puppy is even worse, but it's restricted to about one year of hell. Good luck.
>>
>>2272608
Those are really the only necessary tricks. everything else is just party tricks to boast with
>>
>>2272608
The best trick is when you teach the doggie to shit and piss outside only.
>>
>>2272590
Puppy class! It will tire him out and socialize him.

It's important to socialize early and properly. Look up socialization vs vaccination and the window of socialization.
>>
>>2272608
A stern NO since he will try to do a bunch of naughty stuff.

Also leave it and drop it should be taught immediately becase puppies will try to eat/chew everything.
>>
>>2272608
>stay
>drop
>leave it

These are critical, mostly for safety reasons
>>
>>2272590
GSD's are absolute hell as puppies and wonderful as adults. They are hyper, chew everything, test every boundary. After about a year and a half, if you stick with it, you end up with your own personal foot soldier.
>>
>>2272608
Another overlooked, albeit optional one is Wait.

You put a treat out and say "wait" and if they treat to eat it you take it away and say no, and then say get it so they eat it. Slowly expand on the time you make them "wait"

It really helps with their patience which is really important to teach a puppy when it comes to food. Once you've established it with training treats, do the same thing with meal time so they don't freak out and panic.

I have told them to sit first before I give the wait command so it's easy to get them to patiently wait for their meal. It's so rewarding to see such a well behaved dog around meal time.
>>
>>2272624
Socialization is extremely important with GSDs because they have such a strong protective instinct.

If you don't socialize them properly, then every time you have a visitor at the house they will freak out and potentially injure your guests.
>>
>>2272848
This is true, but a year and a half is extremely optimistic. Depending on the dog, it could be anywhere up to 4 years.

They're great adults but the puppy stage is the definition of awful.
>>
>>2273440
damn, really? my doggo matured fast. after about 18 months she really simmered the fuck down. at about a year of age she ate our DirecTV dish. she fucking ate it.
>>
>>2273467
you mean she chewed the dish up or consumed it?
>>
>>2272608
>give it
>jump up / jump down
>get used to car
>go away or similar

also as said, drop it, leave it, etc. Once the dog is no longer zooming around like retard and doing its best to kill itself, and doesnt bite or jump, things get more comfy
>>
>>2274338
>Once the dog is no longer zooming around like retard and doing its best to kill itself, and doesnt bite or jump, things get more comfy
I really can't wait for that to finally happen. My puppy is 6 months old and he's a fucking psycho! Every time I let him out first thing in the morning I wonder why I even got a dog because of how fucking energetic and insane he is.
He can't become calm soon enough.
>>
Did you get it from a breeder than has OFA scores on the parent's hips? If not my advice would be to start a new hip fund now. You will need about $3k per hip.
>>
>>2272598
Of course you should start training while he's young, to give him the best possible start in life. It's always easier to train new behaviors/habits than to change or erase old ones. Plus, puppies are sponges.

But saying you "can't" train a dog starting when they're older is nonsense.

>>2272608
>Any more basic commands you should do right away?
"Drop it" and "leave it" are important. A "stay" would be very handy as well.

Some other useful ones (though I suppose not "essential") are:
-teaching him to jump up onto things on command, helpful for grooming, getting him into cars, etc.
-"out" (go away,) useful to get dog away from you/an area when you need him to (this has been a lifesaver when I accidentally drop a dish and there's broken glass everywhere)
-if you plan on crate training, having a command to go to his crate is nice
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.