[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shelters are going to start removing breed labels from adoptable dogs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2078.jpg (51KB, 750x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2078.jpg
51KB, 750x370px
thoughts?
>>
Media did a similar thing, stopped naming the race of the criminal. I always wondered why they stopped there, why not remove reference to the sex of the offender as well?

Anyway, kinda dumb, assuming you'll be able to see the animal before you adopt it.
>>
>>2270532
I worked at a shelter and the breed labels were bullshit. If the person surrendering the animal specified a breed, that's what it was labeled, even if was clearly wrong.
If they didn't, we guessed very roughly. Any hound characteristics? It's beagle mix. Does it have any bully traits? It's a pitbull mix. Small and yippy? It's a chihuahua mix. Looks like a lab at all? It's a lab mix. Black and white? It's a border collie mix. And so on.
I can't imagine any shelter really doing things all that differently, so it's a case of why have labels if they're naturally going to be inaccurate?
>>
It doesn't really matter, the breeds are almost always incorrectly identified anyways. People adopt a Greyhound dog expecting a greyhound and then it acts like a Pharaoh hound and gets returned. Shelters and professionals have a woefully low accuracy in identifying breeds anyways. If it's going to be wrong anyways, why bother having it? It will only mislead people.

Not to mention the physical characteristics make up less than 1% of the dog's character, meaning you can have a mixed dog that looks like a Golden Retriever but acts like an ACD.

http://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/ineffective-policies/visual-breed-identification
>>
they really need to just start classifying them by type
terrier, collie, retriever, molosser etc.
>>
>>2270556
Why even bother with that?
>>
File: 20160525_205835-2241x1755.jpg (591KB, 2241x1755px) Image search: [Google]
20160525_205835-2241x1755.jpg
591KB, 2241x1755px
Makes sense.

I was told this big boy was a dachshund mix by the rescue I got him from.
>>
>>2270532
>thoughts?

They never get the breed right anyway, so the accuracy won't change at all.

I like the cat labels.

>DSH
>DSH
>DSH
>DSH
>DLH
>DSH
>DSH
>DSH
>DSH
>DSH
>DLH
>DSH
>>
>>2270859
I love it when I see a pointed kitten in a litter of black cats and tabbies

>SIBLINGS
>DSH
>DSH
>DSH
>SIAMESE
>DSH
>DSH

Like nigger how is one cat a pure bred Siamese when it's siblings clearly aren't?
>>
>>2270862
>Like nigger how is one cat a pure bred Siamese when it's siblings clearly aren't?
A cat litter can have multiple fathers, so it's not impossible.
>>
Does this mean I can finally stop having to deal with dipshits asking "Does the shelter have any huskies? I really want a husky"?

[spoiler]no[/spoiler]

>>2270862
>woman comes in, wants to see the kittens available
>"Ooh, a Siamese. I had a Siamese once. She was the friendliest thing."
>"Sorry, ma'am, it's just a cat with point coloration. It really doesn't mean anything."
>visits with it
>it's unfriendly
>doesn't want to play or be held
>she's obviously disappointed
>gray tabby next to it is a perfect lap pal
>she gets the "Siamese" anyway

Whatever, lady. Tabby's probably better off without you.
>>
>>2270872
If it gets a shitty cat adopted, why not? As long as it doesn't come back.

Shelter I'm at will save the most aggressive pointed cats because 'muh siamese'
>>
>>2270872
totally unrelated, but I adopted a colorpoint DSH who turned out to be a model siamese in personality. he's the sweetest little dude.
>>
>>2270864
>A cat litter can have multiple fathers,

My wife assures me that's not possible in mammals. Really adamant about it.
>>
>>2270901
do you know how fraternal (non-identical) twins happen? two seperate eggs get impregnated. therefore they are not necessarily impregnated with the same sperm. if the female is having sex with multiple partners in a short timeframe they can definitely be different fathers. im sorry bro but your wife doesnt know what she is talking about
>>
>>2270914
and here, some supporting evidence
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/03/10/dna-shows-fraternal-twins-in-vietnam-have-different-fathers-scientist-says/
>>
>>2270533
They only do that if the criminal isn't white
>>
Thats fine with me. The only people who rely on that stuff are people who are getting specific breeds because they think they sound cool.

Anyone not retarded can just look at the dog, and tell what it is anyway, so it doesn't really effect anyone. its not like the new policy is you go in and ask for a dog and they give you whatever they want.
>>
>>2270901
By chance, did she and you have a pair of twins, but one of them kinda looks more like than milk man than like you?
>>
>>2270558

>low quality bait

Made me reply/10
>>
>>2270940
>its not like the new policy is you go in and ask for a dog and they give you whatever they want.
That actually is a policy in many places. Heck, many breeders do the same thing.
>>
>>2270914

~~ - this is the joke
O - this is your head
>>
What ... they think people will just stop asking what breed it is?

This is going to hurt the anti-breeder people's feefees when they realize everyone on the fucking planet cares about what breed their dog is and will continue to ask and continue to shy away from shelter dogs that you can't immediately tell. Except now it will be worse, because they're not even being told lies about it. This is how the average citizen functions, even if it's subconscious.
>>
This is "race/gender doesn't exist"-tier horseshit. Moronic idea, taking away a most basic of identification guides. Maybe dogs are incorrectly identified a lot, but it's important to at least attempt to find out what its physical and psychological needs will be.
>>
>>2270533
Fpbp
>>
>>2271063
If you can look a dog and attempt to tell what is, you've done as much as shelters do to id dogs.
There's nothing to go on other than the word of the person surrendering the dog and the way the dog looks.
>>
I was hoping their reasoning was about trying to make potential dog buyers understand that the lack of papers means the dog belongs to no breed, and you can't ever fully know for certain a stray mutt's ancestry. Had they been trying to inform people about the unknown aspects of buying a shelter dog, I would've been okay with it. But after looking up the source, apparently it's just an attempt to do damage control for certain kinds of dogs.
http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2016/03/dog-shelter-to-remove-breed-labels-on-adoptable-pets/

There are reasons why pitbulls and their ilk have a nasty reputation, and I don't think it's a good idea to keep customers unaware of what they're about to buy.
>>
>>2271092
Because most of the dogs labeled as pit bulls in shelters are not pit bulls, simply any dogs with significant bully traits. If someone would turn the dog down if it was officially labeled pit bull but okay adopting the same dog after looking at the animal, it's clear that they're only going off of the bad reputation.
It's not keeping anyone ignorant as long as they still let people look at the animal before adopting. You can see the dog is a bully breed as easily as the person who fills out the paperwork.
>>
>>2271048
found the triggered fag sucking the AKC's dick. All it's done is boost adoption numbers
>>
>>2271092

They're trying to focus more on the individual dog's traits instead of a breed label, how is that a bad thing? They're not lying about behavior the dog shows, they're just not slapping a breed label on them which probably isn't accurate anyway

And the "reasons" bully breed dogs have that reputation are unreliable at best, there's never been scientific proof that they're inherently more likely to harm humans. Just half assed "statistics" about bites from unoffical sources like dogsbite
>>
>>2271092
Shelters mislabel pitbulls all the time, intentionally or not. There are tons upon tons of people, many on this board, whom got 'surprise pitbulls' from a shelter or rescue. What fucking good will it do? If someone doesn't want a pitbull, they will either be able to visually tell it is one easily, or get another surprise pitbull.
>>
>>2271201
>Dogsbite.org
I can't believe the double standard on blogs on this board. Any other blog that's posted is retarded and biased, but that blog is 100% accurate and unbiased.
>>
>>2271200

Because 80% of the kennels aren't labeled 'pit bull mix' now? That is why numbers go up. The phrase 'bit bull mix' is scarier than no phrase at all. Basically what you have here is an enormous disinformation campaign to lie to potential adopters and trick them into adopting dogs that can be extremely dangerous if brought in from shady backgrounds and raised with hate.

Good job, though, hippy. Let's see the numbers for "Dogs Returned" vs. the previous months.
>>
>>2271201
>They're trying to focus more on the individual dog's traits instead of a breed label, how is that a bad thing?

Not all dogs are created equal. A labrador and a APBT will have very different temperaments in different situations. Situations that don't crop up when a visitor meets them in the shelter. To say heritage isn't important is willfully naive. Next time you buy a TV, try doing it regardless of brand and let us know how it goes.
>>
>>2271248
>Faggots get mad that dogs are incorrectly labled
>Faggots get mad when labels are dropped because they are wrong most of the time
Maybe the problem is faggots like you, and not the labels or lack thereof
>>
>>2271250

Nope, not my problem. My dogs are both AKC from a breeder with 40 years of experience. Enjoy your shit-dog of unknown origin and health. Hope it helps alleviate your white-guilt.
>>
>>2271249
Yes, dogs have personalities. That's not the issue being argued. The issue is dog breed ID is woefully terrible and actually misleads people. See >>2270550

With or without a label, the adopters won't know what's in their dog anyway.

>>2271251
Apparently it is your problem because you're awful anally crusaded over it. Maybe you need to relax there buddy. That's a lot of projection over a basket weaving site, I only own fish.
>>
>>2271249
So what happens when someone takes home a lab that was severely neglected and socialized incredibly poorly, but leaves behind a pitbull that was raised well, treated nicely as a family dog, well socialized, and only given up due to a change in living situation?

Yeah, breed matters, but with adult shelter dogs, their history is way more important. Knowing how well an adult dog was treated and what it's life was before it came to the shelter will tell you way, WAY more than breed ever will.
>>
>>2271261
then they get a less severe injury with more warning signs than they would've from the pit
>>
>>2271261
Don't bother, anon is either incredibly uneducated about dogs in general or is underage and doesn't understand. The point completely went over their head. Don't try to argue with an idiot.
>>
>>2271211
try telling that to folks like >>2271248 and >>2271249 .
>>
>>2271251
You sure fit the breedfag stereotype, congrats
>>
>>2271261
Don't even bother, they need to think that inbreeding and a label makes their dogs special snowflakes. You might trigger them.
>>
>>2271261
>well an adult dog was treated and what it's life was before it came to the shelter will tell you way, WAY more than breed ever will.

how do you know when your argument is full of holes? when you have 3 people all replying asking you to not say anything else because you're hurting their cause.

find those holes, and you'll be one step closer to understanding why breed matters, and one step further away from being ruled by emotion instead of logic.
>>
>>2271357
>Your argument is full of holes
>But I will not mention what they are lmao
>>
>>2271251
>akc
holy fucking shit, you better be baiting, you stupid turd
>>
>>2271282
Ok
>>2271248
>>2271249
Dogsbite.org is a blog

>>2271357
I'm asking anon not to waste energy on you because you're absolutely retarded and don't bring anything to the conversation but denial. You're just having a tantrum at this point
>>
>>2271400

"WE ARE SO ANGRY AT PEOPLE WHO OWN HIGH QUALITY DOGS!!"

I swear you people sound like SJWs marching around campus demanding everyone love stuff because it's broken and deserves a handicap.
>>
>>2270541
Check your privileged.
Xey will self identified as what they wanted, you bigot shitlord!
>>
>adopted what what labeled as an Australian cattle dog puppy
>grew to be big af Catahoula

Yeah, I am indifferent to this change.
>>
>>2271561
>>2271563
>Trying this hard and being this shit at baiting
Reddit really has invaded.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.