[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of big guard dogs in a world where guns exists?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 3

File: d21vu35cjx7sd4.cloudfront.net.jpg (96KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
d21vu35cjx7sd4.cloudfront.net.jpg
96KB, 645x380px
What's the point of big guard dogs in a world where guns exists?
>>
>>2270321
You can't always be outside with your gun. The guard dog can though. Guard dog will also repel predators from your farm just from his presence.
>>
What's the point of guns in a world where rocket launchers exist? What's the point of rocket launchers in a world where tanks exist? What's the point of tanks in a world where nukes exist?

Shit argument, fuck off underage.
>>
>>2270321
A dog barking dissuades much, much more robbers than a "this house doesn't 911" sign with a picture of a gun.
>>
>>2270321
I lived in South Africa for a bit and the local blacks are scared shitless of big dogs. I saw a short German guy walking with his Great Dane and a group of rough looking young guys instantly got out of his way looking skittish.
Plus, a good guard dog has sharper senses than a human. I think a dog is more likely to notice an intruder than a human if both are sleeping
>>
because they're good boys :3
>>
>>2270321
dogs have a spooky bark
bark bark
robber runnnnn
no robert :(((
>>
>>2271052

We don't really run. It's more like "Eh, fuck it, not worth the effort"

Dogs are not scary. 99.9% of what people call their "guard dogs" will just look at you with curiousity. We don't bother with homes that have dogs because it is just another hassle we don't need.

Dogs are unknown factor. Some will bark, some will shut up after a bit, some will sleep through it, but the very probably outcome is that they will cause enough of a ruccus that they could wake up someone - and there is always a chance that someone is home, and if we know they are, there is always chance that there is more than that and in a home with an unknown layout.

Why bother when the house next door just has a bunch of fucking cats?

It doesn't take a large dog for this. Or a deep bark. noise is noise. And noise is bad for our employment.
>>
>>2271066
Roleplaying/10
>>
Dog is a more visible deterrent than a gun
>>
>>2270321
everyone else is talking about guarding against burglars, but a big ass dog repels wolves and coyotes that come to eat your livestock. read about livestock guardian dogs, they're very interesting.
>>
>>2271067
Nah mate, it's basic logic.
If you're going to rob a house, every neighborhood has rows and rows of potential victims. Why would you bother dealing with something like a big dog when someone much easier to deal with could be right next door?
>>
>>2270321
Ask the niggers that were faced with my two neopolitan mastiffs in our warehouse yard during hurricane Katrina.

Most petty theifs are not carrying guns in some situations because they expect no opposition (looting, etc). The real way to win is to have the element of suprise with a large dog or two. Let them be surprised by the dog
>>
>>2271066
If you were a good robber you'd stake out the house till the people left
>>
>>2270360
Confirmed. I have a blonde lab mix and random black people nervously ask me if he's a pitbull all the time

Tl;dr robbers are scared of dogs
>>
>>2271100

You know things don't always work like they do in the movies, right? You know how many people only leave the house once a week? Do you suggest a small time criminal stake out a house for a month just to steal a PS4 and some tools? Unless you know the people personally, it is impossible to accurately gauge who is in a house without doing a month of recon.

Do you know who the first people suspected of robberies are? I bet you do. 1.) family. 2.) friends 3.) neighbors. You know why? Because they know what and who is in the house. And 90% of the time, when people get caught, it IS one of those 3 categories.

If you want to get away with it, you hit a stranger with as much info as you can quickly gain, and that's usually just a weekday or two of people going to work and hoping for the best that no one else is there.
>>
>>2271047

I think that's all Africans

My grandmother had a nurse from east Africa

I had gotten a puppy, and when she walked in my pup rushed to her feet wagging his tail and she nearly tripped out the door screaming

Her brother also stopped by to fix our furnace, he was on the floor and when my friendly dog walked up to him he froze, my dog just sniffed his pants in a friendly manner and I had to throw him outside

But yeah, something about Africans and dogs don't mix

>a year later the nurse ended up getting her first chihuahua for her and her family
>>
>>2271105
I've had black people in my neighborhood ask if my smooth border collie is a pitbull.
>>
>>2271066
sums it up perfectly, there's been many studies that show it doesn't matter what size the dog is, the noise and unknown aspect prevent burglary better than any sign, alarm system, or gun under your pillow
its just far easier to move on to the next house
>>
>>2271145
If they're actually from Africa and grew up there, that's probably because they have a bit of a feral dog problem going on.
>>
>>2270321
Guns can't run, smell or bite. Not even the human operating them could do these things as well as a dog.

Also some dogs are very light sleepers. Good luck guarding your house with a gun all night.
>>
>>2270321
Because your gun wont bark to warn you if someone trespasses on you property in the middle of the night.
>>
>>2271100

>good robber

Burglary is not robbery.
>>
File: IMG_20161127_172036.jpg (1MB, 1464x1464px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161127_172036.jpg
1MB, 1464x1464px
We got a neo mastiff x as a companion and for security. I feel at ease knowing he is at home with my girlfriend when I am not there and she can take him to do locked out callouts if Im unable to go (drunk people lose their keys at 2am and the fee is $75 cash to unlock their doors and can get aggressive about having to pay).
>>
>>2271066
Jokes on you, i have an alligator waiting in the hallway
>>
>>2271145
Agreed, the Africans I work with (Healthcare field) don't usually seem to like dogs very much, only talked to one Kenyan guy who sorta liked the idea
>>
>>2271066
>employment

I don't see why people steal from individuals. It's too risky, at least for me. I steal things I need from corporations (Walmart, target etc) so I can spend my money on things I want.

Maybe my moral compass is skewed, but I would also feel bad for taking something from someone personally. The only time I've ever taken personal things, I got caught. Never again.
>>
>>2271117
Check their mail. Find them on Facebook. Add as friend. Wait for that "omg it's soooo boring at work!" Post.

Seriously, social media has made it so easy to keep tabs on potential hits.
>>
>>2272506
That's a very nice dog anon, Neo Mastiffs are top tier. That huge smile is just adorable.
>>
I met an English mastiff at the park and he was chill as fuck. Never seen a more mellow dog.
>>
>>2270339
Your guard dog sits outside with your gun?
>>
>>2270360
but the robbers can just shot the dog
>>
what if we teach guard dogs to use guns?
>>
>>2272640
They have nothing to prove and have no rank drive, I have never once been challanged by our Mastiff unlike the Dobermans we grew up with. Try and enter his territory especially if his owners children are in the yard and you will see him alert to you and give you a thousand yard stare, he will then either bark loudly to alert the owners if he doesnt sense a serious threat or make softer cough like barks with his mouth closed, if it does the latter then your being percieved as a direct threat and it is going to charge you. Generally they will charge and try to knock a person down before biting them and sometimes not even bite at all. One thing for certain is that dog will be dead before you get to those kids.
>>
>>2273746
Or, what about dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you?
>>
>>2270321
>>>
> Anonymous 12/03/16(Sat)16:34:40 No.2273744â–¶
>>>2270360
>but the robbers can just shot the dog
Dogs are cuter.
>>
>>2272644
Duh
>>
>>2273763
what is this mess of quotes?
>>
>>2273744
50% or more of robbers have no guns, more dont know how to use them well. AND dogs barking+gunshot+dog howl wakes people up and ruins the robbery.
>>
>>2272533
all my ethiopian friends like dogs. south african and kenyan guys mention that dogs are scary where they are from sometimes.
>>
>>2273783
Also, shooting a dog is a dangerous move. A pissed off homeowner can shoot you in the back and won't get charged because you've already used a weapon. Having a firearm during a burglary is a significant charge/sentence enhancement in a lot of jurisdictions. Thieves are opportunists, shooting a dog makes things more complicated.
>>
>>2273744
>Shoot animal
>Everyone, including the possibly armed owner is now allowed to shoot to kill in self defense

hell yea less basketball americans on the street
>>
>>2271100
Most criminals lack that kind of work ethic
>>
>>2273793
but here in my 3rd world country only the criminals have weapons, good citizens don't
>>
>>2270321
People are often discouraged from breaking into houses because of the sound of a big, pissed off dog.
>>
>>2273803
Even if the dog isn't big and pissed off it discourages robbers. A little shih tzu barking at the door will still awake the owners.
>>
>>2272644
>he doesn't know
>>
>>2273793
>shoot dog
>alarm everyone about your armed robbery
>home owners are awake for sure, cops who dont bother investigating regular burglary will all flock to the house, media will write articles
Its not really worth it in civilized countries fambruhino. Whether USA is one is an other debate.
>>
File: download.jpg (96KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
96KB, 645x380px
Have a couple of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, the breed was literally bred to get ducks and bite blacks.

They are not afraid of gun fire, and God help you if you shoot my dogs. By the time you're done with them, you will be filled with buck shot. There will be no warnings if you shoot our dogs.
>>
>>2273763
>Not fucking your guns
>>
>>2270321
Provide you with early warning and enough time to get your gun.
>>
Not everyone has guns.
>>
Because all you have in Ireland is hunting rifles and shotguns plus I need to sleep.
On the other hand most of the people who burgle in Ireland tend to be gypsies who are afraid of nothing except for dogs.

A Dog that is alert and will act tough and bark if someone is poking around at night is the best defence against a burglar.

My two dogs are sweethearts but they bark up a storm when someone comes into the yard, so I put up some big signs that say the dogs will bite even though they don't and word quickly spread I have dogs that bite even though they don't.
The Police have been over to inspect my guns and they commended me on having dogs that bite.

Every house in the area was burgled except mine.
>>
>>2273755
Reminded me of an English Mastiff I saw at the vet last Saturday. I usually see all sorts of tards who don't discipline their dogs at all, in fact most people who have dogs where I live have zero control over their behaviour. Every single fucking dog that walked in was pulling their owners and barking at other dogs with the exception of my dog (Golden Retriever) and the English Mastiff that was accompanied by a man and his three sons. The man's children were riding on the dog (youngest son, who was about 5 years old), pulling its leash, and otherwise just making a huge racket around the dog. The English Mastiff was calm af, even when other dogs barked at it and were trying to approach it. I was very impressed by the dog's calmness desu.
>>
>>2273802
England?
>>
Dogs still work when you're not home.
>>
>>2270321
Americucks strike again
>>
>>2275672
Butthurt foreign fuck bitching about America, again.
>>
>>2275697
I'm an American Desu. Just not a fucking moron and know that not all countries have the option of owning and operating guns.
>>
>>2271145
the animal is domesticated
and they're allergic to animal domestication
>>
>>2270321
Cuddles.
>>
>>2273802
Good citizens get a hunting permit or a crossbow.
>>
>>2275717

>caring about countries besides America

cuck detected
>>
>>2270321
At best, most are watch dogs. Very few guard dogs exist
>>
>>2275798
Good point
>>
Most obvious reason is you have to be there to use a gun. A dog works by itself 24/7
>>
>>2270321
They have no point besides being pets.
>>
>>2271066
>>2272603
STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!
>>
Why can't we train dogs to use guns?
>>
>>2271066
>employment

Anon, I...
>>
>>2273762
Underrated
>>
>>2276242
Not really
>>
>>2270321
Because niggers are scared shitless of bigger dogs. Hell, half the time they'll go to the other side of the street just looking at my boxer, a medium sized doggo.
>>
>>2276067
Dogs can do lots of jobs. Why do you think they're only useful as pets?
>>
>>2270321
because, as everybody has pointed out in this thread, they scare black people
>>
>>2270321
>>2270321

Not every would be intruder will have a gun and thieves definitely go for the easiest pickings.

Having adequate security even the most basic is enough to discourage most.

Might as well ask yourself why go out while not wearing full body kevlar since everyone has guns. Hell why not have a suitcase of nuke to deter anyone from attacking you?

Fuck OP you're a retard it hurts.
>>
A dog won't save you from an attacker unless you have professionally attack trained it, and even then the animal will likely be hurt. A gun won't be distracted by pets. Robbers will probably be dissuaded by noise though.
>>
>>2270321
I can't leave my gun alone at home and rest assured it will stop most intruders....yet.
>>
>>2270321
The size of their cocks, clearly.
>>
>>2270321
A gun can't react to a burglar instantly at two in the morning
>>
>>2274404
>God help you if you shoot my dogs. By the time you're done with them, you will be filled with buck shot. There will be no warnings if you shoot our dogs.
Sure thing m8 :)
If you were threatening at all you wouldn't be breeding guard dogs, just sayin'
>>
>>2277805
Not him but
>Retrievers
>Guard dogs
>>
It's relatively easy to get a dog to bite and attack people. Doing it on command and getting them to reliably stop is something else. An old tow truck driver I knew told me how to get dogs to protect. He kept three Rottweilers in his tow yard. They were psychotic and unless he went in and chained them up first. They were going to maul you. They fucked up several crack heads that thought it would be smart to ignore the beware of dog signs. Tore chunks and parts off of these guys.
1. Get puppy early. Keep it away from strangers and other dogs. Make sure you're the only one to interact and feed them.
2. When about a year or so old put them in their yard. That will be the home they'll never leave.
3. Have a friend they haven't met come menace them through the fence constantly. Hit sticks on the fence, throw rocks at the fence. Generally anything to piss them off. When they bark and growl and act aggressive. The owner threw them treats. So any time something hit that fence. They went ballistic.

I thought it was stupid how he trained them like that. Talk about ticking time bombs. But they sure kept people out of that yard.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.