[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Indoor catto thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1476001731468.webm (1MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476001731468.webm
1MB, 480x480px
Indoor catto thread?
>>
>>2269210
cats are really cute but im clingy as fuck and rejection hurts my feelings so i don't think they're the pet for me
>>
>>2269234
Cats in general are not known to be as outgoing as dogs, especially since they sleep most of the day. But I've seen cats that wont fucking leave you alone. I have one actually and if she isn't sleeping or eating she's vying for my attention. I have met one cat who was affection on crack; howled until you picked him up or he climbed up you, and would head butt and lick you ferociously. If someone else wandered too close he'd try to jump on that person and do the same to them. I consider that a behavior flaw though; that isn't desirable in any animal
>>
anyone else like to pick up their cat and hug them? my cat lets me do it cause he knows I always give him treats after
>>
>>2269990
My parents' cat can only be picked up and held by my dad. She'll struggle out if literally anybody else tries. Dunno why since he's never been particularly affectionate to her

Anyway for me it dispels the myth that cats don't have strong personal bonds
>>
My one cat super alpha doesn't like to be picked up but such a character always makes me laugh, another one is supper clingy, wants to be picked up, rub his belly, play all day.
No cat is the same.
>>
File: Catfood_QuickGuide.png (285KB, 1400x2414px) Image search: [Google]
Catfood_QuickGuide.png
285KB, 1400x2414px
I've successfully switched my two cats from Science diet dry (which they have ate since they were kittens) to Wilderness. I know cats shouldn't be eating dry food at all if possible, but my guys were just so fucking picky. I'm now trying to get them to eat canned food at night.
Does anyone have tips on how to transition from dry to canned? They aren't having any of it right now, they will wait until morning to eat. I was thinking of putting dry food in with the canned food and just hope they don't pick around it.

Also anyone have any good canned food recommendations? What I've got on my list as decent brands are
>Weruva
>Tiki Cat
>Natural Variety Instinct (the only one I can find in Petsmart)
>ZiwiPeak
>>
>>2269990
one of my kittens lets me hold him like a baby. he enjoys it. the other one whines but tolerates hugs.
>>
>>2270113
it's really not the best quality, but I've never met a cat that didn't love fancy feast. the classic pates are the only ones of decent quality, but you can buy several varieties to see what textures they'll eat. start them on any canned they'll eat and then start transitioning to better quality.
>>
File: Dumb Cat.jpg (35KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
Dumb Cat.jpg
35KB, 460x345px
>>2270174
I got Wervua for them and after a hunger strike and mixing it with dry food, they actually ate a bit of it. I was afraid they would pick around the dry food, but I think they just got too fucking hungry.

So hopefully I won't have to go out and buy even more cat food
>>
>>2270113
I buy iams canned wet food (the fish mash type or sometimes the chicken pâté) and split one small can between my three cats each morning and night. Each also gets a plate of Holistic Select cat/kitten dry food for free feeding during the day.
>>
>>2270459
excellent! make sure it's at room temperature for them.

catinfo.org is a great source of info on cat nutrition if you haven't seen it already. there's some stuff in the quick guide you posted I wouldn't feed, but you might know that already. who would feed a cat quinoa?
>>
>>2269995
Your dad probably picks her up in a certain way that makes her feel safe. Or he could have been doing it for so long now that she just tolerates it from him. Or, she might have just learned that that particular person won't drop her or act weird while holding her.

My fiance is the only person who can pick his moms cat up without too much of a fuss, but you can tell that the cat is only tolerating it and doesn't really like it. That cat is usually grouch though, so he's just like that.
>>
File: IMG_20161129_231935.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161129_231935.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
I'll post my foster. Yay flash.

He's got URI, I nebulized him via hot shower, but as you can see he's still stuffy. Had bad ear mites, really flakey skin, and isn't eating much if at all. He is on meds that are ok to take on an empty stomach.

Any advice on how to make him comfy?
>>
>>2270174
My cat eats the wet food from aldi. Fancy feast ripoff I guess. I give her half in the morning and half in the evening and she free feeds dry food as she wants. She is pretty small but perfectly healthy according to the vet. I feel pretty lucky considering I've never had a cat before her and heard horror stories. She sleeps next to me at night but won't crawl in until I'm settled in.
>>
anyone dealt with treatment-resistant fleas? i've done environmental control over and over and given my cat the top-dollar flea drops which don't work at the recommended maximum interval for over a month now. the fleas don't fucking die, they just sit on her and keep eating like there's nothing wrong. i finally caved and got the (again, top dollar) flea collar that's supposed to be not garbage and it actually seems like it's working. i combed her today and didn't find a single flea, which was so incredibly amazing i almost cried.

BUT. she fucking DETESTS the collar. i noticed when i came home from work today that she has literally scratched herself raw trying to get it off. i've literally just exchanged the fleas for the collar, she's fucking miserable either way and i have no fucking clue what to do now.

does anyone have any advice? is it completely horrible to make her deal with it for a week since literally nothing else works? i'm almost at my wit's end here. will she ever just get used to the thing? it's only been about 24 hours now.
>>
>>2271904
Does she or any other animal go outside? What kind of flea collar did you get and can you remember the flea brands you tried? How old is your cat, and is she a normalish cat size/weight?

One issue about fleas is you have to treat every animal in the house as well as the house itself at the same time, so that's a lot of upkeep for a few straight weeks. You'll have to look into how to clean a house after fleas. Doesn't sound like it's too awful if your cat didn't have them for a while, so you shouldn't need a bomb

Another thing to consider is the fact that you may be bringing in the fleas. Fleas can't live on people but they can hitch a ride. If you pet a stray dog while waiting for the bus or you go to your skanky Friend's house, you may have to stop that for a while.

Finally when it's done, you've got to keep your cat up on it's flea and tick shit. Flea collars are mostly bullshit; all the poison is released in one area very quickly so it usually just kills hair and irritates skin. Hartz products will kill your cat so avoid all of that.
>>
>>2271904
she's probably allergic to it. I used Seresto until I switched to lufrenuron (aka program)- it's pretty safe and it works awesome since it stops fleas from being able to form. you have to use it with capstar to kill the adult fleas.

I get mine dirt cheap off ebay, and I'm definitely happy with it.
>>
>>2271908
>Does she or any other animal go outside?
yes, it was my roommate's fucking chihuahua who brought them in the first place and was the first one to shake them. my poor cat has had them for months, intensity waxing and waning from almost the point of no fleas back up to fleas jumping up and biting me every time i put my feet down on the carpet.
>What kind of flea collar did you get and can you remember the flea brands you tried?
the collar she's currently trying to dislodge is the bayer seresto one. it's gotten pretty glowing reviews. i've been using the advantage topical flea ointment and it seems like it's more or less completely lost its effects. the last application the fleas didn't even bother jumping off of her and kept munching merrily away.
>How old is your cat, and is she a normalish cat size/weight?
she's about a year and a half old and yeah, normal weight. maybe a tad bit under because she's been so stressed by the fleas but i'm trying to feed her extra to compensate.

i'm mainly concerned with the morality of letting my cat sit under the collar for a week or two. like i said, she's scratched herself raw at a point near the collar trying to get it off. it doesn't SEEM like it's been caused by the collar itself as it's the only location where there's rawness/hair loss and it's not directly under where the collar actually sits.

as far as environmental control goes, i vacuum every day, run a dehumidifier 24/7, and sprinkle carpets with diatomaceous earth. on my last run of cleaning i didn't find a single ambient flea, and that's after a couple hours on my hands and knees spreading shit into the carpets by hand.

is it out of the question to watch and monitor the collar for another couple days even though she's miserable? i want to know if it makes me a terrible person becuase i feel like the scum of the earth right now.
>>
>>2271912
monitor for signs that it's giving her a reaction. it could kill her if she's allergic. seresto worked fine on my kitten.

I did once get rid of fleas by doing what you did, but I also used a flea comb several times a day.

I'm gonna stick to IGRs like what I mentioned here >>2271911
since they're very safe compared to most flea meds and insects rarely develop a resistance to them.
>>
>>2271914
i mean my gut says that she just hates the shit out of having a collar on. when i walked up to her this morning she did her little get-up-and-stretch-come-walk-over-purring routine she always gives me. when i left she had migrated over to the windowsill and gave me slow cat kisses as i left so i thought nothing was amiss. this was about 12 hours after administering the collar, but when i came home from work today i noticed that she'd scratched all her fur off of this little spot below the collar. i haven't noticed any hair loss, lesions, or anything where the collar is directly contacting her.

does that sound like an allergic reaction?
>>
>>2271918
she's in the other room right now and i'm checking on her every five minutes. right now she's sitting around purring up a storm like nothing's wrong, but god fucking damn that patch of skin was utterly terrifying when i saw it. i'm still pretty freaked out by it
>>
>>2271918
naw it's probably fine. does she not usually have a collar?
>>
>>2271912
The problem with that is the cat will need the collar on indefinitely, or the fleas will come back. Or some form of protection. I second the use of capstar, but I wouldn't use it with another flea preventative without asking a vet. I've seen capstar make kittens go temporarily blind because of overdose. Another big no no is flea baths; it's very easy to OD and the cat can end up temporarily/permanently blind or dead. I wouldn't do 2 preventatives with Seresto; it's supposed to be a stand alone flea treatment that lasts for 8 months.

The chihuahua should also be on year round flea meds If he isn't; he'll just keep bringing it back in. Yell at your roommate and make him do half the cleaning or some shit. That's a shitty thing to do.

>>2271918
It may be itching her which could be an allergic reaction, maybe even mild. Point is, you're going to have to find a long term solution.

I'm going to suggest capstar for the first few applications. That shit is mean to fleas. Then when you have it under control on your cat, the dog, and the house you can switch to something cheaper. May want to avoid collars though, if she doesn't like them. Will the soresto collar work on the dog?
>>
>>2271922
yeah she's indoor only so i've never felt the need to get her used to one. the more i calm down and the more i check on her, the more i relax about it and realize that she has something foreign and uncomfortable on her for the first time in her life.
>>2271923
>Point is, you're going to have to find a long term solution.
absolutely. even when i bought the thing i came into it knowing i wasn't going to keep it on her any longer than she absolutely needed. capstar sounds promising and i'll be sure to ask a vet how long she can start it after the collar goes off.

the dog is under control according to the roommate. his side of the apartment is fine and we keep the animals segregated. basically i've managed to confine the fleas to one area -- but even then, i'm reasonably certain that the only live, adult fleas left are on the cat herself. i'm sure there are larval fleas and eggs everywhere but the minute i see a flea anywhere other than the cat i bust out the vacuum and start nuking the entire place with diatomaceous earth. i'll definitely try to get the dog on a monthly flea treatment too just to be safe since he's the fucker who most likely dragged them in.

thanks to everyone so much. my cat is my best friend and i've been pulling my hair out about this for a while now. it really fucking sucks seeing her like this.
>>
>>2271930
the issue with capstar is that it only works for one day. what I do is give one of each pill once a month. here's the other drug I give: https://www.amazon.com/Program-Suspension-Small-Kittens-1-10lbs/dp/B00JITS2OU

my indoor cats both have collars just in case they get out.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.