[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hunting dogs anyone have one? do you have to train a hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: gsp.jpg (270KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
gsp.jpg
270KB, 700x700px
hunting dogs

anyone have one? do you have to train a hunting dog from puppyhood or can any old dog learn to help you hunt? my dog played with a English springer spaniel at the park today and it got me thinking about the subject
>>
do you even hunt?
>>
>>2268266
no, i fish a lot but ive never hunted
>>
>>2268261
Generally trained from puppyhood, as they need to get used to the sound of guns, but it's not unheard of to train an adult dog, especially hunting without a gun. I'm very much into dogs trained to hunt invasive species, like hog dogs and Python Pete. There's a level of danger to it though.

For a good introduction to guns, you should have a mother that's comfortable around guns and fire them off while she's pregnant as well as after birth. It's possible to desensitize dogs as adults but it takes a very long time sometimes.
>>
my dog is scared of a bb gun
>>
My uncle has a GSP who he has trained to become an amazing hunter. This dog has drive like I've never seen. He'll come out of a bush soaked, shivering, and bleeding and still eagerly wait the next target. He's a good boy
>>
>>2268281
I should mention that he got the dog at 10 weeks old, and his parents + grandparents were used for hunting so it's kind of hard wired into his genes. Still took a ton of training though
>>
I have a GSP that was trained not to hunt, he was a rescue as a puppy from some shit hole in Spain so when we adopted him we had to work extra hard on his chase instinct. It paid off in the end though and his only goal in life is to make us happy and sit on the couch, would gsp again.
>>
>>2268261
I had a red setter. Never went hunting, but it always instinctively pointed towards birds, unless I told it to stop.
>>
>>2268261
My friend hunts a lot and he managed to train his adult husky to round up deer. No idea how though.
>>
>>2268282
There has never been a person who said "hardwired" and wasn't talking shit.
>>
>>2268269
>For a good introduction to guns, you should have a mother that's comfortable around guns and fire them off while she's pregnant as well as after birth.
is it me or does this seem like total bro science?

especially the pregnant bit.
>>
>>2268261
My uncle trained his Pomeranian for hunting.

Why he chose a Pomeranian? Because they were cute and lived a long time. Somehow it worked out, though.
>>
>>2269570
Hard wired means genetically determined
>>
>>2269597
Exactly, that's my point. It's a word that attracts people who don't know what they are talking about.
>>
I hunted rabbits a lot when I was a kid. I used my ferret to flush them out of their warrens into nets.

Nets can fail though after a few moments of struggling, or the rabbit can break out of a hole you didn't see.

Our family pet labrador was actually extremely useful. She knew what was up pretty quickly, listened to the thumping of the rabbits hind feet underground, and was even fairly good at predicting where they would erupt. I remember her lying down in front of a hole moments before a rabbit leapt out, straight into her jaws.

She'd grab the rabbits but I never saw her injure or maul them. She'd also happily give them up so I could break their neck humanely.

Those were some good times. She, the ferret and the other dog got the meat most of the time, though sometimes we cooked rabbit stew.
>>
>>2269570
My dog is hardwired to herd. She has never seen a sheep and still tries to herd other dogs, kids, etc.

>>2269580
I think it comes from human babies being able to hear in the womb. But dogs are born deaf and cant hear until 3 weeks old. Broscience.
>>
>>2269580
If the mother dog is scared shitless of gun shots, so will the babies. Unless your expert opinion is to take the dogs away when their old enough to hear, in which case they will naturally be scared shiltless of gunshots anyways.

I'm sure you trained your fair share of gun dogs, how did they turn out?
>>
Murica
>>
>>2270221
In most countries dogs are used, and have been used, for hunting for years.
They are a tool.
In uncivilized countries dogs are used, and have been used, for a food source for years.
They are food.
>now what's your problem with the thread again?
>>
File: 20160913_184203.jpg (702KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_184203.jpg
702KB, 2048x1536px
Hey /an/on training hunting dogs is a passion of mine and I have been doing it for around 7 years earlier this year I made it to the north American invitational for N.A.V.H.D.A
In my opinion eally depends on what you want to use the dog for, if you only need the dog to flush birds for pheasant hunting or grouse then yes for sure as long as the dog has high prey drive and you introduce gunshots slowly. On the other hand if you want to train your dog for other upland birds like doves and quail their is alot more training involved and while I don't think an older dog could not learn how it would be much harder.

Another thing to keep in mind before starting any hunting training is to have a very strong obedience structure because while all the talent is derived from the dogs natural ability alot of the technical skills with steadiness and retrieving are all based on basic obedience.

Pic sort of related it's my Pudlepointer after a hunting trip
>>
File: 20160911_203751.jpg (734KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160911_203751.jpg
734KB, 2048x1536px
>>2271416
Forgot to add I'm not an expert by any means but if anyone has any questions about N.A.V.H.D.A or dog training in general I will try my best to answer unless it's about agility courses or retrieving labs because they bore me.

And pic also related it's another one of my dogs a Brittany spaniel
>>
Rabbits are an invasive species here. I've got one dog that I strap an e-collar on and then just let go after them. He knows how to take it from there.

He's not very good at rabbitting, to be honest, but he's caught a few and dug up a couple of burrows of the rabbit kittens, so he's not dirt terrible either, and he kills them quick.

He's never been exposed to gunshots, I've never taken him hunting in that sort of sense, but he's immune to fireworks, thunder, and earthquakes, so he has the potential if I ever bothered to take my firearms license and go into the bush after deer or pigs.
>>
>>2269580
Babies can hear sounds within the womb and learn to recognize them
I know dogs cant hear for a longer time but perhaps with their stronger senses they still get used to the "feel" of it?
>>
Are Labrador Retrievers any good for hunting and general varied climate outdoor activities?

Thinking of raising one from a young age to be a life partner and to join me on all the adventures I want to go on.
>>
>>2271447
I'm gonna go with yes.

They were traditional 'gun dogs' and in good condition can follow you anywhere.

They are also highly trainable, good swimmers and are generally bros.

They are retards for the first couple of years though, heh.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.