[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help! my dog doesn't listen to me so I spent all day yesterday

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: puppr.jpg (40KB, 720x430px) Image search: [Google]
puppr.jpg
40KB, 720x430px
help! my dog doesn't listen to me

so I spent all day yesterday following him around, I would ring a bell then give him cheese hoping he would associate bell with snacks and come running when he goes off somewhere or is barking and I want him to stop

it didn't work and now I'm out of cheese, the bell gets no response out of him either
>>
Buy freeze dried liver, and rather than the bell use your voice. My dog picked up marker training in no time; whenever the dog is doing something good mark it with "yes" in a happy manner and then immediately give the treat. Only give praise after the dog has the treat so they dont confuse "good dog!" With the marker "yes". This way its very clear they are doing what it is you want them to do.

With my dog i began marking anytime he laid down, sat or started chewing on a toy. Make sure to mark right when the behavior is complete, so dog fully in a sit or laying on the ground. Eventually my dog started perking his ears towards me whenever i said yes and would even begin to watch me as he laid down waiting for the mark and treat. This may take some time, dont expect it to happen on the very first day. The key with dogs is persistence and patience.

What is it exactly you would like your dog to learn? Basic commands?
>>
>>2267780
basically he is a shithead and only listens when he wants to, but the biggest thing is getting him to come inside when I want him inside

he used to be a good boy, never barked, always came when I called him, and never ran off. If he went out to the front he never left the property and would stay on the grass.

then I moved and now he doesn't listen, but I have been here for 3 years. It's the other dogs in the next yard, they are a bad influence on him.
>>
>>2267788
Well once he's responsive to your marker training you need to teach him sit and stay. Once he has a good stay you can move on to recall. I would begin training in the house and then move outside once hes got that down to work on getting him to listen with distractions like the other dogs. Have a leash on him even in the house so you can do quick corrections while training and it will keep him from wondering off.

This is really as much help as i can be for now, in order to get the proper technique to teach the commands i would have to physically show you.
>>
>>2267788
OP it might be possible his hearing has detriated over time. Something to consider. Best of luck friend.
Or he's just a jerk and has learned he can get away with shit
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 640x432px
Sounds like you need to re-establish your self as the alpha

Next time he crosses a line fucking slap his shit
>>
>>2267551
>help! my dog doesn't listen to me
Have you tried smacking it?
>>
>>2268062
on the tush with one or two rolled up pieces of news paper
>>
>>2267551

is that your dog? He's so fucking cute I wouldn't give a fuck he barks.
>>
>>2268082
His name is bubblegum!
>>
>>2268090

can we have more pics? He's so fluffy :)
>>
File: snoodle.jpg (79KB, 960x541px) Image search: [Google]
snoodle.jpg
79KB, 960x541px
>>2268116
snoozin
>>
File: 0705092143.jpg (64KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
0705092143.jpg
64KB, 1024x768px
>>2268153
accidentally into maximum borkdrive
>>
>>2267551

have you tried a clicker?
>>
>>2268069
This is cute
>>
>>2268153
>>2268154

He's very nice and fluffy. Do you mind telling me what race it is? How difficult is it to keep in terms of hair (I notice it has a lot of it!). I am looking to buy a little dog, but I have still doubts on what kind. I'd need an "apartment dog". I like chihuahuas, but their eyes are very prone to infection :(. I need some other small breed. Thoughts?
>>
>>2268449
min pins are like slightly bigger, smarter, better looking chihuahuas with few health problems
>>
>>2268036
>>2268062
>>2268069

This is idiotic. You should never hit a dog, especially OP's dog that's so fluffy only a psychopath would be able to do him any harm.

@OP please don't follow this idiotic advice, your fluffy dog deserves only love.
>>
>>2268451

I read about them. They seem waaay to high energy / high-maintenance dogs.

> It is absolutely essential to set up safeguards to protect the curious Min Pin. You'll need to "baby-proof" the house just as you would for a crawling baby or a toddler.

This seems a way too high energy dog for me sadly :(.
>>
>>2267551
My advice OP would be to introduce some fucking discipline and negative association. I don't condone hitting dogs but there should be some form of punishment, a disobedient dog is a danger to itself and possibly other ,in your case I doubt it could be a danger to others but still you have to remember that your're not doing this just for your own sake but for the dog's as well. Don't hit it of course but use your head, set some expectations for your dog to meet before letting them have fun. For starters teach your dog the "come" command, in a room with no distractions. Repeat this until it comes most of the times. If it barks shout at it, let it know your upset, dogs can pick up on your emotions and body language. Don't expect it to stop barking just because you gave it some cheese when it calmed down. Try teaching it a "stop" command which is basically a stay but the dog shouldn't be able to do anything while staying. Positive association is also extremely important so don't forget to do that too, and not just while training the dog but every time it does something that you expect of it. Don't let it dictate when you reward because that would just translate to the dog taking breaks from barking to get a treat from you and not stopping the barking altogether.
>>
>>2268461
oh and also that's a very cute pupper
>>
>>2268153
>>2268154

OP, can you share other photos pleeease? Possibly with them being in-focus. Your dog is just so damn cute! Also, if you could tell the race, that would be appreciated.
>>
up
>>
>>2267551
up again, need more photos *_*
>>
>>2268458
I had a mini pinscher and she was running around all the time, one time she started running in circles around the room so fast that she walked on the wall, she also could jump about 1 meter on the spot without any kind of impulse, it might sound bad but she didn't do that often, she was very loyal and protected me whenever someone tried to approach me while i was sleeping (pretty funny actually) and she loved to curl up in bed with me, honestly if you make them run a lot when you take them for a walk you'll be fine, they are very very good dogs and she never had a health problem :)
>>
>>2268449
My mom had a Shih-Tzu, he was as cute as he was lazy and calm.

Unfortunately from what I understand most Shih-Tzus in the US have some Lhasa Apso in them for some reason or another and are far more aggressive and active as a result.
>>
>>2268463
hes a shih tzu. I may have some more pictures to share
>>2268449
he doesn't really play, he just snugs, naps, and sniffs around.
but hes not above chasing animals in the yard and stuff and is surprisingly successful at killing birds.
dumb as a stump
complete mush with people
total attention whore
will eat anything that fits in his mouth
generally quiet unless there are other dogs around or he wants food
>>
>>2269029
Yes, please, more pictures *_*
>>
>>2269049

bump
>>
>>2269174
bump
>>
it sounds like you've got another case of retarded dog due to retarded dog owner. the only cure is to have the dog lick peanut butter out of your ass while you're both in a car in a garage filling slowly with carbon monoxide. if somehow the dog survives it can at least eat your shit after you die- something it was waiting to do all its life.
>>
File: 31774.jpg (27KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
31774.jpg
27KB, 604x453px
Pubber as babby
>>
>>2269784

fucking finally op
>>
>>2270683
where are pups supposed to live? that's his bedroom
>>
>>2270686
Stop stop, don't reply to him, we're not having this thread again. Your pup is fine in the crate provided you're using it correctly OP.

It looks like you have a dog that was bred more for companionship. They're a little dumber than most. Be consistent with training. Maybe get some better training treats (low cal, moist, meaty) so you don't run out.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.