[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog shuddering on inhale some time after fight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 61alg5+7HvL.jpg (117KB, 1400x1973px) Image search: [Google]
61alg5+7HvL.jpg
117KB, 1400x1973px
So my huge, aggressive hell-beast got in a fight with a smaller but no less ready-to-rumble neighbor dog two hours ago, receiving only shallow punctures and abrasions to her chest and legs that I cleaned and smeared neosporin on. However, in the last 20 minutes she started shuddering bodily on the inhale and didn't want to get up to go outside when I called (she usually does). I've read in my frantic googling that dogs can shudder as a reaction to pain (I only had rubbing alcohol on hand, and the wounds had mud and straw rubbed into them before cleaning so I had to use it. Can't have helped pain-wise), so it's possible that she's just hurting and tired out from having a backyard cage-match, but I'm terrified that something could be seriously wrong.

I'm most afraid of internal bleeding, because her extremities feel a little cold and the shuddering/lethargy didn't start until over an hour and a half after the fight, although I can't figure how such a relatively minor fight could have resulted in internal trauma, and that it's a little on the cold side at my place. I've turned the heater up and swaddled her in blankets, which seems to have helped slightly. My families old dog died recently and I was the one who discovered him stiff on the couch and felt how cold his body was when I tried to shake him awake, so this could just be inciting what I think is general anxiety to new and absurd heights.

Is there cause for concern? because if there is I am out the fucking door and blowing my entire savings account on emergency vet fees, I love this dog more than large swathes of my extended family and I can't lose her now. My living situation fucking blows and she's basically one of the few positive things I have in my life even with all the trouble she causes.

Pic related, please help. The nearest vets is nearly 40 minutes away at unsafe speeds, so I need to know whether I'm being insane.
>>
Hi,
Please, just go to the vet, it sounds like your dog is in shock, this can kill, please go now, and good luck x
>>
I would go to the vet just to be safe, anon. It could be nothing serious but it could be life-threatening, it's hard to tell.

Put it this way, if you rush to the vet and find out it's nothing, you might feel silly/stupid for freaking out and wasting money when she was fine... But if you don't go to the vet and you find out too late that it was something serious and she dies, you'll never forgive yourself. So just go, just to be safe.

I hope your dog will be ok. Please keep us updated.
>>
File: 1458116087336.png (9KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
1458116087336.png
9KB, 300x100px
>>2265033
This, sounds like shock. Take to vet.
>>
>>2265033
>>2265034
>>2265035

Hey guys. She's much better now, I'm pretty sure she was just cold, cranked up the heat until I didn't feel cold wearing a t-shirt and boxers in the living area (I hadn't given much thought to how cold it was in my place at 3-6 AM until now, since I'm usually burrowed down into blankets). I checked for the other symptoms of shock and she wasn't exhibiting any, especially after she got up fairly normally to greet family members coming to take a look, so that's good. She does have a non-life-threatening but nasty looking wound on her side I hadn't noticed before though, so I'm still going to be taking her into the vet as soon as regular hours open, and hopefully get a nap in the meantime so I don't crash my truck on the way there. I'll keep you posted.
>>
Second update, even better now. Her breathing is now normal and she seems perfectly snug. I can't get a real heart-rate from the spots on her chest without disturbing her but it doesn't feel super rapid. She was sore and limping when she got up because of her injuries, but aside from that one gash over her ribs none are very deep at all, and that one is not bleeding heavily.

Recently our old family dog died, and I was the one who discovered him on the couch in my parents living room and felt how stiff and cold he was, so that visceral fear of waking up and feeling my doggo cold and lifeless really fed the shit out of my anxiety. I won't get complacent, and I'll be taking her in first thing to get that wound taken care of (more of an infection risk than anything else) or immediately if her condition worsens, but I really think she's going to be okay, and I'm in no condition now to drive safely. Update you from my phone in 6 and a half hours when I reach the vets office.
>>
>>2265044
>3-6AM
>2 hours ago
At what time exactly did your dog get into a fight and why was it allowed to?
>>
>>2265047
Glad to hear she's doing better, hopefully it was just coldness. It certainly sounds like she's ok, she wouldn't have jumped up to greet family members if she was in shock. It sounds like you know what you're doing with regards to the wound, like you said, there's a high risk of infection so a vet visit is a must, even if its just to get antibiotics. My older dog was mauled a few months ago by a much bigger dog (he's an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the attacker was an American Bulldog /Mastiff, luckily the wounds weren't too terrible but we did go to the out of hours vet immediately for antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammitory/painkiller injection.
I hope your dogs ok, I'm sure she will be, dogs are resilient.
Just out of interest, what kind of dog is she? And have you thought about doing some training with her to get her to be better with other dogs? I know a man in the UK who trains ex fighting dogs how to be good friendly dogs and the results are amazing. I used his techniques with my boy and he's amazing now, used to be too scared of dogs so he growled at them, now he's the friendliest little guy ever.
I wish you luck
>>
Sorry to delay guys. Cell signal kept dropping out at the vets office and I crashed when I got home. She's perfectly fine, clean and bandaged, and on antibiotics.

>>2265079

Roughly 2 AM, and she wasn't "allowed" to, she got out after I didn't close the door all the way behind, and mixed it up with a sheep and the neighbors dog. 99% certain the sheep is fine, but we have to check them over and dose up with anti-biotics just in case.

>>2265131

The baby is fine, I have a prescription for antibiotics and a spray bottle of emu oil solution I'll use when I change her bandages, no stitches required. It was probably just her being cold+post-fight adrenaline dump. She very nearly had it all: The dog, the sheep, the glory. She's a frankenstein designer hybrid of Kangel/Boerbel/Great Dane that my dad got me as my first dog when I was 16, not the best first-time dog at all. She's become more aggressive to other animals over time, so I figure it can be corrected, and I'll definitely be taking her to a real trainer.
>>
>>2265028

if it was a human doing that I'd say they might have a cracked rib
>>
File: meanwhileinnz.gif (493KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
meanwhileinnz.gif
493KB, 500x279px
>>2265301
>mixed it up with a sheep and the neighbors dog

Hello NZ
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.