[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pregnant kitty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 22

File: bby.png (947KB, 973x424px) Image search: [Google]
bby.png
947KB, 973x424px
Hello /an/

My family are going to temporarily babysit a pregnant stray for two months. Our local shelter advertises regularly for individuals who can provide a stable temporary home for kitties to give birth in and stabilize afterwards. To cause them less stress than being in the shelter.

Pic related, that's her. Notice how sad her eyes are. She's not feral but has obviously been lost for a month or so and no one has come to get her. My secret plan is for my family to bond with her and then they might be more willing to permanently adopt her...

I'm posting this thread for advice on how to take care of her in general and when she gives birth. I've been a cat owner for 16 years but I was too young when my cat gave birth to remember how it went.

She's going to need a secluded room (our studying office) and I was thinking of making a 'dark nook' for her to feel safe in, made from blankets and such. Where she could kinda hide. I also own 8 yards of chicken net, which I can molt into various shapes if needed? + blankets

We have toys and a scratching post as needed, I also have a new tube of catnip and I'm wondering about the psychological effect it would have on her if I would on the first days introduce her to catnip to calm her down? Then again I don't want her to feel disoriented in this new place...

cont.
>>
>>2263966

I also have an 16 year old cat that lives with us that is not going to meet this cat ever, I think. I might introduce our old cat to one of the kittens though and see if that might cheer her up, she was a mother. Our old cat has been alone for most of her life, so I think keeping them apart is the best but I'm going to see how their moods are.

I need a setup for her actual pregnancy, I'm thinking about warm towels and maybe a cardboard box(which she could scratch to pieces if she is feeling agitated). Also washing cloths and luke warm water. I'm fully prepared to suck the guck out of the kittens nose if the mom doesn't know how to do it. It happened to my cat and the kitten almost died from suffocation but my mom sucked it right up. Tasteful, I know.

I have a pain killer for cats, its actually for cat arthritis but maybe I could give her two drops of it afterwards? I'll have to have a chat with her vet.

Any advice is really appreciated about her pregnancy, will post updates on this thread.
>>
Don't know if you planned this already, but make sure the birthing box has high sides, with one side a little lower, so the mum can step in and out, but the kittens can't.

I think that, unless she still very scared by the time she is due to deliver, you shoul plave the birthing box in a quiet part of the living room, or some other room that has people in it often. That way the kittens can get socialized much better. Do it before birthing and not after, because the moving of the box might be stressfull for mum and the kittens.

for other tips maybe you can contact a breeder, I think they would be happy to give you some advice to make things go as smoothly as possible.
>>
I dont have advice, but bless your hearth.
That cat look so cute. Once she get less anxious, im sure her eyes will light up.
>>
>>2263966
> temporarily
They'll go to a good home right?
>>
File: bbyss.png (799KB, 872x422px) Image search: [Google]
bbyss.png
799KB, 872x422px
New surprise update!

We are still undergoing qualification process to be her temporary family (we are supposed to retrieve her on this friday), however she birthed the kitties tonight. They are four and are all real cute, one orange, one black and the rest are multi-colored like their mom.

So I guess in a way it's a relief that she was able to give birth among professionals instead of here, though she must have been more stressed there.

>>2264134
That's not a question that I can answer. In the best possible scenario we can adopt the mom and maybe one kitten but the rest will have to be adopted to someone else.

I can hand them over to the shelter or I can give them away on facebook myself. I do not trust myself to make the judgement of who will be a good pet owner since people are always on their best behavior when presenting. Hopefully the shelter will be able to get them to a good home. Kittens normally don't have a problem finding homes compared to older cats, so it's not a horrible situation.

Even if we do not adopt the mom, she is so beautiful that many will want to adopt her.

The cats that aren't adopted are mostly old and have black furr... Now I've given myself the feels.
>>
>>2264509
kitties or GTFO.
>>
>>2265690
They're here! I'll post pictures tonight :) They are so cute and the mom is the kindest thing considering all the circumstances and jumps for human contact and love at first chance.
>>
>>2263966
No advice, but you sound like an excellent caretaker just by the sound of how much you care. Really nice to read. Good luck.
>>
File: how much did I drink last night.jpg (54KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
how much did I drink last night.jpg
54KB, 540x960px
>>2265721
Thank you. That means a lot to me :)

This is it. Here is cat mama with her babies, she loves them very much. She loves having her belly rubbed and her head stroked. But she is also very stressed out. She started breathing very fast when the kittens were sucking her for milk. I removed them for a little while and gave her chance to recover (her nipples had a bit of blood, from the constant suckling). It helped a bit.

Now she has calmed down a lot, and the way how she is ready to trust humans is amazing since I found out that she had been at a hoarders house with countless of other animals... Not a stray like I interpreted at first.
>>
File: little fluffies.jpg (49KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
little fluffies.jpg
49KB, 540x960px
>>2265789
And here are close ups of the young ones, they have already started to form personalities, the orange one is very good at letting its mom know that it needs something(whines very high), The spotted one is very active, his favorite activity is kitten climbing and waking his siblings up when he does so. The gray one is the sleepiest of them all and doesn't have time for the other ones shit and just wants to sleep and drink milk.

ps. kitten momma is now taking a break from her sleeping kittens and laying by my side purring.
>>
>>2265789
>>2265790

CUTE

Just FYI, if you can imitate the squeak of a kitten you can make the mom freak the fuck out.
It's good for a few laughs 'till you realise you're a terrible human being.
>>
>>2265802
lol
>>
Very nice, pretty kittens! Thank you for sharing, OP.
>>
File: hair balls.jpg (89KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
hair balls.jpg
89KB, 960x768px
Okay, the first night is done. A lot of things happened in that time. After a few observations I noticed that:

1. The moma cat has very tiny and cute feet compared to other cats
2. She had really tough mats under her chest and on her lower belly, one of the mats even hid a nipple... Poor thing, those mats were massive and amongst the tightest ones I've ever seen. Pic related. I went to work and cut them off of her and she was kinda pleased the whole time. She gave me easy access and purred as I tried to cut the mats away. She has a couple of balds spots now where the hair had died because of the pressure the mats were giving it. I spotted her twice today grooming the area so I guess that's good. Must be a relief.

3. She has a lot of separation anxiety and is afraid to be alone. When I went to sleep she would scratch the office door and meow. When I would check on her she didn't really want anything else but company, so I petted her a few times and went back to sleep. Or so I tried. She continued scratching and meowing a couple of more times even though I would come in to check on her until I gave up and stayed the night on the floor in the office room with blankets. Hopefully she will calm down the next nights, we'll train her slowly to know that it's okay to be alone.
>>
>>2266233
>When I would check on her she didn't really want anything else but company, so I petted her a few times and went back to sleep. Or so I tried.

Most cats are autistic like that, or at least mine was.
Hopefully you're able to train her to not act too disruptive - but don't be surprised if she really REALLY wants to be sort-of around you all the time. No petting, nothing physical - just around.
>>
>>2263966
That cat is fucking beautiful
>>
File: IMG-20160913-WA0000.jpg (155KB, 362x447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160913-WA0000.jpg
155KB, 362x447px
Fantastic. The mother cat must have been (and still is) under a lot of stress and needs all the support she can get. I presume her eyes are now a lot brighter?

This thread just made my day. Very good job, OP.
>>
>>2265790
>letting pests breed
>raising the pests instead of river-bagging them
I remember when I was mentally 7 and completely clueless.
>>
>>2263966
Give it some Tylenol xD pest! Muh birds study done on small island!
>>
>>2266333
>if i say it like a dumbass, that makes it false! Also, my mom held me underwater once for a period of 9 minutes xDD
FTFY
>>
>>2266233
>we'll train her slowly to know that it's okay to be alone.
thank you.
so many people dont know how to deal with separation anxiety and encourage it while they think is cute.
>>
>>2266367
>if I pretend to shitpost it's not actually shitposting and I'm not actually retarded xDDdddDdD
>>
>>2266373
>i called it a shitpost! Haha am so smart and of being smart-correct
I saw you driving down the road the other day. You weren't driving, you were upside down on the intermediary, crying, and swearing the curb jumped out.
>>
The kittens are really getting bigger by the minute, they are only 6 days old now but they are bigger then they were on friday. I'll post more pics when I get home.
>>
File: fishes.jpg (61KB, 562x960px) Image search: [Google]
fishes.jpg
61KB, 562x960px
As you can see our moma kitty isn't keen on playing, but that'll change soon enough. I don't think she has been taught how to play. But we are going to be persistent.

One more feeding pic.
>>
Thank you for taking care of these sweeties. You're a great person anon.
>>
I thought there were 4 kittens? You've talked about and shown one grey, one orange, and one calico kitten but I thought there was a second calico?
>>
OP, weigh the kittens every day in the morning and the evening. They need to be gaining weight steadily. Even maintaining weight is a bad sign. It means mom cat isn't producing enough milk, or the kitten can't latch on, or mom is rejecting the baby. Kittens die very quickly at this young age so a few days means a lot. Best of luck
>>
What a lovely little angel! OP, thanks for caring about her.
>>
File: playing.png (283KB, 450x440px)
playing.png
283KB, 450x440px
>>2267726
They are four, but one is sadly not as much in the spotlight because of his attention seeking siblings.
He is always at the back on the pictures, he has white and black fur and doesn't have a behavioral defining feature that separates him from the others yet that I have noticed, so I don't have much to say, but he has a lovely pink nose. I'll throw in a pic of him later.

>>2267735
Thank you for this advice, this is exactly something that I wouldn't know, I'll use a food scale since they are so light to measure their weight. The moma has really sore nipples, they are pretty red from all the feeding and I was hoping to put some creme on it but my mother said it was best if she was allowed to grow thicker skin on her nipples and that we shouldn't do anything about it. This I feel rather iffy about, I'm thinking of calling her vet and asking for some cremes, usually I'd put some petroleum jelly on it but that actually makes the skin worse, I've read.

So I need a special creme for that, I just don't think it's right for her to feel all that pain while feeding, giving birth is already enough of a issue.

>>2267901
>>2267692
>>2266371
>>2266255
>>2266251
>>2266235
Thank you for the support guys, I'm thrilled that you've enjoyed the thread, I'm planning on documenting their 2 months growth here on /an/ if that's okay.
>>
>>2267940
you should give mama cat canned food, she needs the extra nutrition and moisture. some people bottle feed the kittens that aren't doing as well, but with only 4 kittens it should be okay.

keep an eye out for any sign of infection in the nipples!
>>
>>2267940
Wouldn't do creams, we helped soothe our momma cat's nipples by using a cold or heat source depending on what she seemed to enjoy (cold mostly for her sore nipples).
>>
>>2266233
My cat has had a few bouts with seperation anxiety. When her brother disappeared and she was the only cat left she got depressed and pushy with my family because she had no one to play with. And recently she broke her leg and has been very needy because she cant run around.
>>
File: cutie pie.png (413KB, 391x551px) Image search: [Google]
cutie pie.png
413KB, 391x551px
Surprise quick update!

Noticed that our grey kitten is inching one eye open, I found that very surprising since I thought they definitely weren't supposed to open their eyes so fast.
>>
>>2268019
Post more pics please they're adorable
>>
>>2268019
Too cute!
>>
>>2266331
I remember when I was an edgy 13 year old
>>
>>2266331
>He doesn't enjoy watching cats kill birds and rodents
>>
Just weighed the little darlings, it is as follows:

Black and white one: 188 gr
Orange one: 191 gr
Grey one: 195 gr
Multi-colored one: 204 gr

The results surprised me, I was sure the grey one would be the heaviest since I found him the pudgiest along with being the laziest one.

A bit worried about the black and white one, I'm thinking of buying kitten formula tomorrow to feed him? Will feeding him extra have adverse affects on the relationship between him and his mother?
>>
>>2268822
Some kittens are just runts. Track his weight over a few days - the change is important, not his starting weight. If he's losing or maintaining weight you'll need to start supplementing him with KMR.

Bottle feeding is a time intensive process as well as inconvenient for the kitten, since he can't eat whenever he wants. Don't rush into it if he doesn't need it.

If he is not gaining weight reply to me, I can tell you what I know about feeding them. It has to be done a certain way so they don't aspirate.
>>
bumperino
>>
Update?
>>
>>2266331
>Reptile owners
>>
File: kitten snuggling.jpg (32KB, 540x960px)
kitten snuggling.jpg
32KB, 540x960px
>>2270942
here is our little (biggest) kitten, its a she.

We have three girls and one boy (the orange one)
>>
>>2271215

CUTE
U
T
E
>>
>>2271215
Man this is cute, keep posting anon
>>
File: all huddling together.jpg (45KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
all huddling together.jpg
45KB, 540x960px
Did another weight check, much to the dismay of the kittens...

Orange: 269 gr
Multi colored: 278 gr
Gray: 269
Black and White: 229 * !

* A bit worried about this...

ps. because of the suckling instinct of the kittens, they sometimes when huddling together start sucking on each others nose. That is the most cutest thing!
>>
File: FurrLady.jpg (122KB, 1845x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FurrLady.jpg
122KB, 1845x1080px
Also had to share this amazing moment...

For the first time, the kitten moma, her name roughly translated into english is Furrlady (we did not give her that name, lol but it does fit her) jumped by her own will into our office chair. This is important because she was doing that to be closer to me to get some pats on her head. Until now she has only wanted to lay on the floor and not on anything soft, I think this is a sign of her really coming out of her shell, usually when I would put her on something soft she'd get off it and run away.
>>
>>2271566
> if you're worried about thhe black and white kitten not gaining enough weight, you can weigh her more often, and see if the minimal weight gain continues. if it does, maybe check with the vet, or start feeding her formula.
>>
what about your old cat?
>>
File: old kitty.jpg (36KB, 468x800px) Image search: [Google]
old kitty.jpg
36KB, 468x800px
>>2271979

She is sitting in her basket purring. She loves her basket. She deals with a variety of problems including arthritis, ear infection and the occasional tumors.

Recently she has lost 0.2 kg of her weight, which is a lot for a cat. I think this might be related to the arrival of Furrlady so we totally seperated them. She had been neglecting eating for three days. Then we on a whim bought her cheap old food that you get at walmart. Now she eats like nothing happened? So a change of taste and preferences...

Our new expensive vet-bought food sits untouched for her... With extra oils for her joints and stuff.

but that's okay since Furrlady eats it happily :)
>>
cute
>>
How is it going OP?
Moar pics!
>>
>>2273846
I'm almost going to be alive again! two days until my final exam plus my phone died, but man do I have stories to tell: Furrlady got a new bigger litterbox and I tried feeding the kittens formula and spoke to the vet. The kittens weren't so keen on the formula but Furrlady was and tore the sucking thing to pieces... Have pics of it all, I'll post it soon!
>>
File: furrladyy.png (349KB, 376x555px)
furrladyy.png
349KB, 376x555px
well, since the kittens didn't really want that expensive formula we bought, we decided that it shouldn't go to waste, especially since Furrlady was so into it.
>>
File: gentlehousing.png (241KB, 373x394px) Image search: [Google]
gentlehousing.png
241KB, 373x394px
Mommy loves trying to wash her little babies, but they aren't so keen on it and try to waddle away to the milk.
>>
aaand sometimes she looks a bit silly while trying to hold her kitten still
>>
A favorite past time of hers is a) drinking from the sink, b) sitting in the window.
>>
File: cuties cuddling.png (405KB, 359x522px) Image search: [Google]
cuties cuddling.png
405KB, 359x522px
their cute soft bellies are so... well soft and cute
>>
>>2266331
Found the Dog you guys!
>>
File: nudez.png (402KB, 367x431px) Image search: [Google]
nudez.png
402KB, 367x431px
Something very serious just happened. As you all know our kittens are growing up from children to sexually active teens, and with the caternet this gets even worse. We noticed our young orange male sending compromising pictures of himself nude to old cat-men online. We've filed a report to the police and are taking his phone as soon as possible.
>>
You just made my day a little bit better. Thanks OP :3
>>
bumpity
>>
File: sleeping.jpg (16KB, 360x640px)
sleeping.jpg
16KB, 360x640px
Their teeths have finally started coming in, they are like tiny blunt needles to the touch!
>>
>>2279823
That's nice but next time you wanna share make sure they're dead
>>
>>2279941
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.