[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Extinct animal sightings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

This thread will be about sightings of any animals that are supposed to be extinct. Passenger pigeon, thylacine, imperial woodpecker, dodo birds, pterosaur, whatever extinct animal. I want to hear anecdotes from you guys. Were y'all scared, shocked, excited when y'all saw one? Tell us about your sightings.
>>
that's not a thing you dumb bitch
>>
>>2263688
Don't get caught up in semantics, random autist. You know what I meant m8.
>>
Has anybody ever actually reported seeing a dodo bird since they went extinct?
>>
File: image.jpg (199KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199KB, 1280x720px
>>2263707
>>
File: unnamed-6.jpg (63KB, 600x482px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed-6.jpg
63KB, 600x482px
>>2263679

vilka djur är det här? Jag trodde att det squrriel, det är pizza, eller växt? Hur kan jag fånga jag se bara på TV-skärmen för att hjälpa mig att hitta
>>
I recall there were several animals that were declared extinct but were discovered to still be around like that japanese wild dog and a pygmy whale of some kind.

do those count?
>>
If I could pick one animal to bring back, it'd be the dodo
>>
>>2263717
Ah. The elusive squirrel.

Bask in its majesty.
>>
>>2263713

Can't tell if real or really autistic.
>>
"Extinct" doesn't technically mean all of them are gone. It just means we can't find any. Normally nothing makes it to the extinct list without an enormous amount of data backing up the claim to extinction. But even then, some things pop up now and then. I remember reading about some toads in northern South America that were supposed to be gone 30 years ago, but someone found a bunch hopping around and enjoying life the other day. It happens.

"Extinct in the wild" is self explanatory and as good as a death sentence. There has not been a single species that has gone "extinct in the wild" and recovered enough to exist in the wild once again.
>>
>>2263707
Doubt it. If so the Africans probably ate the remaining ones.
>>
>>2263773
See>>2263713
>>
>>2263707
Dodos are large noticeable animals that live on a small island. They're gone.
>>
>>2263769
>"Extinct in the wild" is self explanatory and as good as a death sentence. There has not been a single species that has gone "extinct in the wild" and recovered enough to exist in the wild once again.
Has happened in hawaii with bird species, and probably other stuff too.
>>
I think our grandchildren will only know about the panda through old pictures and histories we tell them one day, i don't think they will last for more than a few decades at most.
>>
>>2263816
they live 20+ years and the wild and captive populations are rising.
>>
>>2263820
They're not that endangered anymore.
>>
>>2263789
things don't go extinct in the wild for fun, but we're always going to have axolotols even after mexico city kills the last of them
>>
>>2263726
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryococelus_australis
>>
>>2263679
Only partially related but I saw a big black cat in central Victoria, Australia back in the late 90's.

I was out driving with friends up a dirt trail in the afternoon and on the road ahead was a big black shape. At first we thought maybe it was someone's dog that had been hit but we drove closer and it stood up, stretched and wandered back into the bushes. I've seen some big feral cats but this ones head was level with the bonnet of the car.
>>
>>2263735
Why the fuck would you want to bring back a retarded bird when you could have shit like OP's pic?
>>
>>2263913
Why would you want that when you can genetically engineer glow in the dark animals? They already sell glow in the dark fish at stores.
>>
>>2263769
I guess red wolves don't quite count since they mostly live in sanctuary territory
>>
>>2263816
There are no good stories to tell about pandas.
>>
>>2263850
Yep. There's lot of fish that are extinct in the wild but still living in the fish trade.
>>
>>2263926
Technically they don't glow in the dark. There colors just pop under certain lights.
>>
>>2263926
Glow in the dark fishes don't can't open their mouth like that thing.
>>
>>2263874
Oh shit, was it that big? It may have been a released exotic pet.
>>
>>2263735
That's gay I choose the T Rex
>>
File: woollymammoth.jpg (256KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
woollymammoth.jpg
256KB, 1920x1080px
one day...
>>
>>2263993
>ate some bamboo
>slept
>ate some bamboo
>slept
>ate some bamboo
>slept
>human jerked me off and took my panda spun
>ate some bamboo
>>
>>2264229
Sounds like a fun way to live.
>>
The thylacine is definitely still around
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (43KB, 1170x836px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
43KB, 1170x836px
>>2263995
There are glow in the dark ones as well, but afaik they aren't on the market (yet). Or they might only be available in Taiwan.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229612/Pink-Angel-Delight-Genetically-engineered-angelfish-glow-dark-display-Taiwan.html
youtu.be/sN6P6kFjrjM
>>
>>2264376
>said some bloke on the internet with no corroborating evidence
>>
File: loshad_przhevalsko111go_0[1].jpg (101KB, 715x476px) Image search: [Google]
loshad_przhevalsko111go_0[1].jpg
101KB, 715x476px
>>2263769
>There has not been a single species that has gone "extinct in the wild" and recovered enough to exist in the wild once again.

Incorrect
>>
>>2264409
Fluorescence is when something will emit light after absorbing some other wavelength of light.
You've probably heard of how scorpions fluoresce under a blacklight. These genetically engineered fish do the same thing.
>>
>>2263816
Good. Fuck giant pandas. They're fucking stupid.
>Look at me, I'm a giant panda
>I'm going to subsist exclusively on a plant that offers poor nutrition and grows exclusively in environments that want to fucking kill me
>Also we literally can't mate if our lives depend on it
>Also our cubs are blind for three entire fucking months
>And we can never hibernate like any other bear because we're too shit at finding food to survive it
>But please save us because we are cute and fuzzy
>>
>>2264367
Unless you don't like bamboo
>>
>>2264452
if evolutionary fitness was correlated to sympathy, you should LOOOOVE ticks.
>>
>>2263816
But they're not endangered anymore
>>
>>2263717
>already planning on pizza today
>see this pic
>want pizza even more
>pizza shop doesn't open for 2 more hours

The suffering I feel at this moment
>>
>>2263769
>There has not been a single species that has gone "extinct in the wild" and recovered enough to exist in the wild once again.

Condors were really really close. I think before they rounded them all up there were only 22 left. People can complain about zoos but keeping them captive really helped them out and now they're being re-released into the wild again. I hope I can see one soaring one day. I have seen a few in the zoo but it's just not the same.
>>
>>2263769

bug guy levels of trolling here
>>
>>2264376
I have heard of many reports, so possibilly.
>>
>>2264598
>I was wrong
>I know, I'll pretend I was trolling!
>>
>>2263679
My mum found a natterjack toad in the garden one year, and they are supposed to be extinct in Ireland.
>>
>>2265069
>they are supposed to be extinct in Ireland.
?
>>
>>2263679
>Extinct animal sightings
ITT: wishful thinking
>>
The closest to that I have ever encountered was seeing a Karner Blue Butterfly when it was supposedly locally extinct.

>>2263816
They aren't endangered anymore.

>>2264452
But you're retarded, anon.
They found a food source with no competition that was very plentiful and in season year round. They actually mate a ton, more than any other bear species during breeding season, and have breeding and gestation period similar to that of the grizzly bear. You heard your memes from zoos who can't get their bears to mate, and shocker, they aren't even the hardest animal to mate in zoos, not even the hardest mammal. They don't need hibernation because they have a food source year round. All bear cubs are born blind and tiny and stay that way for months, you're just being autistic because you fell for a captioned Facebook photo.

The downfall of pandas was habitat destruction and poaching. Apparently, when you destroy and fragment an animal's habitat that they rely on to live, they have a harder time living. To add to that, with their habitat being fragmented, they also have a harder time finding each other to fuck. It's no coincidence that once the conservation efforts switched from breeding in zoos (zoo releases hardly ever work well with mammals) to restoring habitat, the bears actually started making a comeback. But zoos are where the money is, so the useless zoo breeding won't end anytime soon. They make a mint from ruining the panda's chance of wild survival.

>>2264584
The same has happened with a few other species; the northern flying squirrel of Virginia had 10 individuals when they captured the squirrels and started a breeding program, in 2013 they sighted over 1000 squirrels in the same area. I think the most drastic changes happen with reptiles though.
>>
>>2264584
Come to Chile we have a healthy population and we see them from time to time.

It's an experience cause they're jaw dropping huge, saw one this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5yrEB8jWjE

This is not my video by the way.

I have my rare jumping spider right next to me, a dendryphantes niveornatus with no accounts since 1936, but that doesn't count cause nobody was looking for them, I'm still waiting to find a female, they are unkown this far.

>>2265187
Reptiles are amazing, when they have the chance they reproduce like crazy, but bugs are other history, they even adapt to things you wouldn't believe.
>>
>>2265075
... And I live in Ireland. They were thought to be extinct here until a few years ago.
>>
>>2264435
You know that there are deep sea fish that glow from themself?
>>
>>2265214
How did you even get a rare jumping spider?
>>
>>2265214
Do you work with some organization or did you just jack the spider? I've always wanted to work to breed endangered animals until I learned it's largely volunteer based and done out of their own pocket.

I actually have a colleague that is conducting experiments on changing sex cells whilst developing. Granted he's currently doing it for a meat industry to make more chickens female, I think it could work well with bringing animals back from the brink of extinction. The only issue is you'd still need the species of the opposite sex unless you're willing to both clone and on top of that modify the clone to make it the opposite sex. Then there's the whole gene pool issue
>>
>>2264225
Society cares more about adding more genders and safe places than science. We barely even have a fucking space program anymore.
>>
>>2263913
They became extinct because they were delicious.

I would like the opportunity to try it.
>>
>>2266166
That's about to change very soon. I heard a commentator say if jobs are restored to the rust belt it could be decades before another democrat is elected president since they need those states.
>>
>>2266166
>Society cares more about adding more genders and safe places than science.
Yes and no. It's true a lot of money in research is spent on total bullshit of the critical theory variety, but when it comes to public money that we would use for a national space program etc. our biggest expense that needs to be cut is the growing underclass and retired/disabled people who a) didn't have kids who can make up the costs of their care expenses or b) had kids who took out 50k+ in loans and don't produce anything of value

SJWs are a problem. But the biggest problem is far more "normal" and common, at least to the average person.
>>
>>2266185
They were delicious to english and dutch sailers that had been eating salted beef, lime juice, and beer for months on end. I don't think it mattered what they tasted like.
>>
>>2263717
Ser ut some en tre-grevling. Farlige dyr. Svort giftige.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.