[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are coyotes good pets?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 21

Are coyotes good pets?
>>
Yeah you just gotta raise them from a young age. Same principle with wolves and racoons really.
>>
No. They smell terrible and piss on everything.
We just had a guy here a few months ago who against all advice get one and he got rid of it immediately.
>>
>>2262210
Wild animals aren't pets.
>>
>>2262355
you would've said the same shit 10000 years ago when man was bringing the first dog/pig/cattle/horse in

"THOSE ARE WILD ANIMALS GUYS LEAVE THEM ALONE"

and then every other caveman would've been like

"SHUT UP UGG AND HELP MAKE FIRE"

face it for domestication to begin as a process humans have to kidnap animals or animals have to go to humans willingly (cats/ring-tailed cats).
>>
>>2262212
I'll never raise a baby coon ever again. Needier than a newborn child.
>>
>>2262368
It's not "10000 years ago" now is it genius?
That anon was right, wild animals are not pets.
>>
>>2262383
>ha I'll just address the hyperbolic preface of the statement and not the statement itself
>am of smart now
>yes
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (143KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
143KB, 1280x720px
>>2262383
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Domesticated_Red_Fox
>>
>>2262368
why domesticate coyotes if we have dogs?
>>
>>2262383
everything is a pet if it is kept as a pet
most of the pet reptiles are wild animals with no domestication
>>
>>2262210
yeah but they piss everywhere
>>
Just don't be an idiot that thinks it'll be a great indoor pet. You and the coyote will live a happier life if you have it as an outside pet.
>>
My friend owns a dog coyote hybrid. Terrible pet but she loves it just the same.
It would piss all over the place, was aggressive to any person she didn't know for more than a few months.
I wouldn't recommend one to anyone after that.
>>
>>2262212
FPWP
>>
>>2262368

I wouldn't be raising them because I think they're cute 10000 years ago
>>
File: Point Blur_Nov122016_203256.jpg (1MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Point Blur_Nov122016_203256.jpg
1MB, 1440x1440px
>>2262210
No, but they are good for target practice. Shot one about an hour ago.
>>
File: in russia we.jpg (192KB, 962x642px) Image search: [Google]
in russia we.jpg
192KB, 962x642px
>>2262212
Also you have to really love them
and they have to love you back
otherwise most unconventional mammal pets can be a demoralizing if not dangerous experience. But if you absolutely know it's your perfect animal and you learn their language, yeah you can pretty much domesticate anything
>>
File: 1478721206146.png (374KB, 540x429px) Image search: [Google]
1478721206146.png
374KB, 540x429px
this channel has some interesting coyote stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7rqgwQqRFzwe2coTAKQVng
>>
>>2262212
>>2262493
>>2262645
This, almost anything can be a pet with a little commitment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y26tc0ld1cw
>>
>>2262817
Seeing youtube channels with people caring for wild animals is inspirational as hell to me. How do I get a job working with animals like this? I'm currently going for a biology/ecology degree.
>>
Like they said before, domestication starts somewhere. if your not retarded when it comes to pets, do it.
>>
>>2262826
Take animal sciences, mainly behavioral
>>
File: brown coyote in the snow.jpg (39KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
brown coyote in the snow.jpg
39KB, 500x406px
Short answer is "not for most people."

They are basically like primitive dogs and they are not domesticated, so they retain all their wild behaviors in full intensity that domestication has muted in dogs (making them more suitable to living with humans.)

They are still social canines which will bond with you, but they are wild and thus (as I explained above) VERY intense. They are very skittish, neophobic, will be incredibly fearful/aggressive towards anyone they don't know well, they have high prey drive, have very strong resource guarding instincts, and are much more obsessive with marking than domestic dogs. They're essentially neurotic and you'd need to be very prepared to handle that if you wanted to keep one as a pet.

With a strong desire/commitment to take care of the animal, and the ability and knowledge to do so, you could consider that a coyote could make a good pet if you really wanted one. But for most people, it would just be considered "too much" because they are so intense, so they'd be better off just getting a normal dog.
>>
>>2262581
Got any pictures? I'm curious
>>
>>2262853
Unfortunately I don't but she looks exactly like pic related, except without the black tip tail.
>>
>>2262851
For some reason people find that neurotic behaviour to be cute, don't ask me, some people love Fennec foxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su3ovMsFXMg

It all comes down to your patience and space, any exotic pet will require exotic care, but canids are similar enough, so most dog care will apply to them.
>>
>>2262352
>he got rid of it

In what manner?
>>
>>2262368
If you actually domesticated them, which would take selectively breeding them for many generations and likely more time than you will be alive on this earth what do you imagine you would get in the end?

A dog. So why bother?
>>
>>2262210
They are good pets if you raise them at a young age. I have a coyote and sometimes he can be a but of an asshole with other dogs though. They can be very skiddish too.
>>
>>2262987
Post pics, I want to see him.
>>
>>2262396
This.
Domestication, can be done in less than 50 years. And different breeds will shortly follow.
>>2262383
Domestication isn't needed when you're taming an animal. It's the generations of singling out the most genetically tame animal which leads to domestication.
>>
File: IMG_20160728_094253.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_094253.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>2262992
>>
>>2262210
Like a dog, but way shittier as a pet. So, uh, why?
>>
>>2263007
Anon, that's not a coyote. Cute pupper though.
>>
>>2263007
>Brutus the pitbull
>>
>>2263019
>Clyde the "Coyote"
>>
>>2263017
He's mixed with a dog breed.
>>
>>2263071
thats a dog, how do you not know what a dog is
>>
>>2263076
If he's purely a dog then what breed?
>>
>>2263071
So it's not a coyote then, it's a mutt.
This is not a bad thing mind you, he's a really cute mutt as well.
>>
>>2263114
Yeah. I probably should've avoided the confusion by saying that first.
>>
>>2263006

>>>/pol/
>>
File: Agony.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Agony.gif
1MB, 500x500px
>>2262878
>coydog
>not dogote
>>
>>2263071
Maybe it's just the photo, but I don't see the coyote at all. How do you know he's even part coyote?
>>
>>2262826
Rescue shelters most likely.
>>
>>2262210
Not really, theyre alot more like cats in the sense thst they are solitary animals and are also smelly and ruin shit
>>
>>2263238
Short answer: blood test
Background story: We rescued my dog when he was really young and we had no idea what kind of breed he was. So, we adopted him and asked local pet places what he was. They had no idea so when he was 6 months old we ordered a blood test and they found out simple blood medical facts, his age, an approximemt birthday, and his breed.
>>
>>2263255
The bloodtests are basically just scams.
>>
File: IMG_20160129_160724_346.jpg (150KB, 745x955px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_160724_346.jpg
150KB, 745x955px
>>2263238
Here is another photo that may help. The ear and tail show more.
>>
>>2263260
Oh I forgot about that fucking sign in the background.
>>
>>2262844
My university actually has an animal studies minor, I'm doing that too.
>>2263247
Noted.
>>
File: IMG_20151229_233102.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151229_233102.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>2263260
Continuing to dump photos...
>>
File: IMG_20160112_215941.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_215941.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>2263267
>>
File: 20161023_083035.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_083035.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2263267
>>
>>2263267
He is a cute.

I assume he is low content coyote?
>>
>>2263273
Yeah, less than half. Thank you.
>>
File: 20161023_083056.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_083056.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2263271
Just a funny one
>>
>>2263255
Neat and thanks for the extra photos, but you really shouldn't run around saying you have a coyote then.
>>
File: low content coydog.jpg (55KB, 500x671px) Image search: [Google]
low content coydog.jpg
55KB, 500x671px
>>2263255
There is no blood test that can accurately say that your dog has coyote in it. As another anon said, those breed blood tests are scams.

IF that dog has ANY coyote in it, it's an extremely small amount to the point of being negligible and having no affect on either his appearance or behavior. This is not an animal that you should call "a coyote" or even "a coydog."

Pic related is an actual low content coydog. Note how much similarity to a pure coyote this dog has, despite only being a low content. Compare to your dog who looks 100% domestic dog.
>>
File: coydog manu.jpg (29KB, 387x405px) Image search: [Google]
coydog manu.jpg
29KB, 387x405px
>>2263347
And here's a coydog with 50% coyote, for comparison
>>
>>2263224
kill yourself genetics denalist
>>
>>2263347
>>2263348
I understand what you mean but there are a lot of different coyote looks too. Look at the two low content photos the two of you have. Even they look different from one another.
>>
>>2263224
>he doesn't know about Siberian foxes
>>
>>2263423
Except for that anon's dog has literally no visible coyote traits. It looks like a dog.
>>
>>2263087
what?
>>
>>2263824
Idiot anon didn't understand that other anon meant by pure dog, and thought he meant purebred dog.
If it has no visible coyote traits, then any coyote lineage it has is negligible and going around calling it a coyote is simply misleading and stupid.
>>
I have a dog that I think is a coydog, found her in a woodbox in the country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjSJe1P0c1M
acts like that dog and looks almost identical
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4e8kiNRAnU Wrong link above lol
>>
anotha
>>
>>2263423
The red coydog I posted is a very low content and yet still very distinctly shows coyote traits.

The 50/50 husky/coyote is much higher content than the red low content, and it definitely shows. The two look a lot different mostly because one looks significantly closer to a pure coyote.

Other than that, the main differences/variations in their appearance (and the appearances of other coydogs) comes from the variation of the different dog breeds in them. The red low content has (if I recall correctly) collie/shepherd/husky, whereas the 50/50 coydog only has husky.

And yes, there is SOME variation between coyotes coming from in different regions, etc. But they all share the same general build and features, some very basic traits. As >>2263762 pointed out, that dog has absolutely none of them. It looks nothing like any kind of coyote and displays absolutely no traits that should make you suspect it has any coyote lineage.

>>2263838
>>2263840
Sorry anon but neither of these dogs looks particularly coyote-ish either. That youtuber is almost certainly misrepresenting her animal, knowingly or not (she's stated that she got him as a "rescue" and has no idea what his lineage is.)

Both of these dogs just look like sable-coat shepherd mutts with big ears. This does not a coydog make. If either of these dogs has any amount of coyote content, it's negligible both physically and otherwise, so it's misleading to label them as coydogs.

And telling someone "oh yeah, I have a coyote/coydog and they're great pets!" when you just have a regular dog is irresponsible where someone is asking if coyotes make good pets, because they will get the wrong idea and have no idea what to expect if they get an ACTUAL coyote/coydog...that's just asking for a disaster.
>>
>>2262851
This

>>2262396
oh hey, that's Ron Ron. Too bad that guy was kind of a shit owner
>>
>>2263931
Forgive me, I don't know too much about it--why was he a shit owner? From what I saw of the fox's enclosure/care, it looked like a fair set up. Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>2262817
His other videos give a weaker sense of the coyote being tame, but very cool nonetheless.
>>
>>2262477
Ask the Native Americans, they might have actually domesticated the coyote.
>>
>>2264416
he was a furry.
>>
>>2262907
For multi-generational shits and giggles
>>
>>2262817
Watched a few other videos. For one, the coyote is neutered. That probably helps a ton and gives him a lot more stable of a temperament. For two, you can watch some other videos and see it still is very much-so a wild animal.

Even being hand raised from a pup and no balls, the thing is far from tame. I mean, it is impressive, don't get me wrong . Most importantly, there is this message on the guy's website:

>DISCLAIMER: Although it appears that Scooter is quite friendly, he only acts this way towards a few humans—primarily his caretakers who have invested (and will continue to invest) a lot of time, effort, and patience in his upbringing. To all other humans he acts like a wild animal. Coyotes do not make good pets and it is illegal to possess them without a permit.
>>
Speaking of coyotes, there's this one morbidly obese one that wanders around outside our offices at around dusk. Damn thing looks like a tragic cautionary tale as it struggles to get its face into trash cans to dine on leftover costco hotdogs and pizzas.

I wonder if it even belongs to a pack or if it was cast away or something. It is incredibly skittish though, and it books it if it hears anyone approaching.
>>
>>2265255
Well that does make it kinda creepy, but did he ever actually do anything to the fox? Like sexually abuse him in some way?

I know it would be hard to prove either way, but if he didn't do anything sexual to the fox and actually took good care of it, him being a furry makes it kinda creepy but doesn't automatically make him a bad owner
>>
>>2265279
Not all coyotes live in packs. They are very adaptable social-structure wise. Some live in small nuclear family packs (like wolves,) some live in small loose-knit packs of unrelated individuals, some in pairs, and some are solitary. Environment and population factors often determine what kind of social unit coyotes will form. So it's not unusual to see a coyote on its own.
>>
>>2265567
I see, that's pretty interesting.

Incidentally, this one is so skittish a Maltese was able to scare it off. Poor thing was wheezing as it ran as fast as its spindly legs could take it.
>>
>>2262368
People were living in caves and crude shelters when wolves were domesticated. Coydogs and wolfdogs already exist and do not make good pets unless you are prepared for the wild attitudes they still have.
>>
>>2262643
>censoring the coyote face

New ebin meme?
>>
>>2265841
Yeah, coyotes are usually pretty skittish unless they've been acclimated to humans (which is a bad idea for all involved, so it's probably good that this fat coyote is still skittish like that.) They're generally shy animals, even when living in urban environments.
>>
File: Coyote-map2.jpg (31KB, 300x229px) Image search: [Google]
Coyote-map2.jpg
31KB, 300x229px
>>2265841
They are really interesting, smart, adaptable animals.
>>
>>2266205
Agreed, they really are fascinating and I'll never understand the militant hatred they often get. Their success and growth even in the face of human attempts to cull their population is really impressive. Incredibly adaptable animals. I'm quite fond of them; it's always a treat to hear them howling/yapping away in the distance at night.
>>
>>2266205
Natures way to fix up outdoor cats.
>>
>>2266776
Not too many generations ago, most people were farmers and dependent on their crops and animals for survival. Coyotes will kill farm animals pretty readily, so it's really not a mystery that they would get some hate for it.
>>
No idea, they fuck my chickens up if I don't keep the fuckers in check though.
>>
>>2267143
Yes, they are responsible for SOME livestock death, but not nearly as much as people think.

Wolves were much more of a threat to livestock (theyre bigger and pack hunters, so they can more easily take down larger prey) than coyotes. Historically, wolves got vilified for it and because of this, they were nearly wiped out in America. With most of the wolves gone, coyotes moved into greater parts of the continent, filling a niche that wolves left empty.

Even so, most animals coyotes eat are small like rodents, rabbits, etc. They do sometimes go after larger things like deer as well. As far as being a threat to livestock, they're much bigger a threat to things like chickens than they are to cows or sheep. But coyotes are opportunistic scavengers too; MOST of the time coyotes are blamed for taking down larger livestock, in truth the animal died of other causes and coyotes got to it before it was found by the farmers. So they are not responsible for nearly as much livestock loss as people think.

Still, I understand being upset at losing livestock to predators, especially if said livestock is your livelihood. That's rough. But people take their hatred way too far. They're just being animals, it's not malicious in intent when they hunt. Yet people elevate this hatred to fantastical proportions, creating this big myth of fear surrounding the animals (wolves and coyotes) to an extent that is largely undeserved. That's the part I don't understand is this projection of malicious intent onto the animals, and exaggerating the risk/fear of the animals so that people hate them for being these vile, cruel creatures with larger-than-life abilities and attributes to kill kill kill. The attitude of "only good yote's a dead yote" is what I don't get. Especially given coyotes are also helpful to farmers as a form of natural pest control (mice and others that eat crops.)

I guess my point is that they can sure be a nuisance, but it doesn't make sense to militantly hate them.
>>
>>2267321
As someone who lives in a very rural, agricultural oriented area, knows lots of farmers, and has worked on farms, I can say this post is correct and well versed.
>I guess my point is that they can sure be a nuisance, but it doesn't make sense to militantly hate them.
I've always agreed with this as well. Even though I've lived right next to these animals I've never had a reason to shoot one. I can hear them running the irragation ditches between the fields at night, they make some of the strangest sounds when they are in heat.
Once I was squirrel hunting and walked around the back of a dense thicket. I heard growling and looked down to see a coyote sized hole in this thicket. At that point I knew I stumbled upon a den. I lowered my single shot gun, and slowly noped the fuck back out of that. That could have ended badly.
Another experience was when my son and I walked out in the middle of an empty field late at night to retrieve a trampoline that had been blown out their from a storm. As we were breathing heavily and struggling to drag this bitch back I noticed we weren't alone. I guess the sound of us struggling lured them in, as soon as we stop and figured out they were there they took off. Probably just curious or thought they found injured game.
Anyway, it's easy to coexist with these guys since they are so skittish. As long as you don't lure them in they will keep their distance.
>>
File: playground coyote peeking out.jpg (279KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
playground coyote peeking out.jpg
279KB, 1280x853px
>>2267336
>Anyway, it's easy to coexist with these guys since they are so skittish
Yeah, they are very curious, and although they are predators, they're mostly harmless, especially to humans. The things are curious enough to creep up to take a peak at you, but once (if) you notice them, they tend to skitter off. Their curious-yet-shy nature is actually kinda charming, in my opinion. They get such a bad rap but I really think they're such interesting animals.
>>
File: dragontooth+5.gif (964KB, 335x190px) Image search: [Google]
dragontooth+5.gif
964KB, 335x190px
>>2267336
It fucking trips me out thinking about some farmer dad with a ball cap and plaid shirt coming in from a long day of manly activity to sit down and post on 4chan.
>>
>>2267843
Not that anon, but I'm a USDA meat inspector that mostly deals with beef and it's weird how hateful cattle farmers are about coyotes.
Except for maybe a sick calf, coyotes can't take a cow.
>>
>>2267843
I don't farm anymore. My job has downtime and I browse Mongolian basket weaving forums while I wait.
>>
>>2262210
Coyotes aren't even good wild animals. They're one of the most useless, dangerous animals there is and we'd be better off if we just ran them all over with our cars.
>>
>>2267982
Oh look, it's one of those people we were just talking about that militantly hate coyotes for no reason.

They're really not that dangerous, especially to humans.

As for "useless" that's also not true, they fill in a very useful niche in many ecosystems. They act as a natural form of pest control (rats, mice, etc.) and also cut down on populations of things like raccoons, preventing them from getting out of hand.
>>
>>2267982
>Coyotes
>Dangerous
There have been two recorded fatalities attributed to coyotes, and attacks on humans are extremely, extremely rare.

Unless you are talking about them eating your outdoor cat. In that case, keep up the good work coyotes.
>>
>>2268563
>Unless you are talking about them eating your outdoor cat. In that case, keep up the good work coyotes.

UKfag here, thats why we murdered all our native predators long ago.
>>
It seems sometime in the past few days a coyote attacked a small child and the city decided to hunt down all the coyotes in the area to be on the safe side, and ended up killing 7.

On the plus side, fatty was spared - I saw him on his sunset run going through the garbage. I guess they decided it couldn't possibly have been him or he was just lucky.
>>
Aren't coyotes famous for killing dogs, even some of the bigger livestock breeds?
>>
>>2268658
Close call! Good to hear fatty's still around.

>>2268769
Coyotes will go after small dogs as prey if they're hungry and the little dog is left out alone where a coyote could easily get to it.

For the most part, coyotes treat larger dogs as a curiosity/potential competition. But they mostly leave them alone unless threatened (or they feel their den/pups are in danger.)

That said, it's not uncommon for larger dogs to chase coyotes and then get wrecked because the coyotes felt threatened/defended their territory or den; sometimes a dog will chase a coyote and then run into said 'yote's friends/packmates, and then the dog is outnumbered. A single coyote doesn't really stand much of a chance against a large livestock guardian type dog, though.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.