[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/an/ populates an exoplanet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: Map-460.png (445KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
Map-460.png
445KB, 1000x500px
What Organisms would /an/ put on an exoplanet devoid of life but that lays in the habitable zone of its parent star?

the planet is slightly smaller than earth, say 90% the mass of earth.
the Planet has slightly longer days and is slightly warmer than earth. The planet does have Carbondioxide, Hydrogen and Nitrogen in its atmosphere but less Oxygen than earth does.
Genetically modified organisms are allowed.
>>
>>2261359
I'd try seeding crayfish, because they're claimed to be an invasive species very good at adapting their phenotypes to their environments and can survive almost anywhere humans expose them to

They eat anything, just like shrimp, which leads me to think starting off seeding planets with algae and arthropods/crustaceans might be the best combo
>>
Bristlecone Pines
>>
>>2261366
>>2261375
OP said the planet is "devoid of life", everything you suggested heavily depends on other life already being there, stop being so stupid. Primary and secondary succession are ecology 101.

You start with lithotroph or chhemoautotroph bacteria and archaea like cyanobacteria, for example Chroococcidiopsis that build up an organic base for primary colonizers like moss, fungi and lichen and of course a multitude of other microorganisms. This takes thousands of years. Then you can introduce other successors and let the ecosystem go from there.
>>
File: Salix.arcti.pic5.jpg (1MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Salix.arcti.pic5.jpg
1MB, 2816x2112px
You know what would grow well? Salix arctica, I'm talking about arctic willow.

The smallest member of the willow family, they're adapted to survive in harsh Arctic and subarctic environments. These low shrubs can survive for centuries.
>>
>>2261381
T.?
>>
>>2261359
plankton
>>
We would need nitrogen fixing bacteria. Plants like legumes which have rhizobium and bradyrhizobium are a requirement. These will help fertilize the soil and allow for further plant growth. From there we could develop grasses and trees. However we would need to bring pollinators to ensure the continued existence of successive generations. Bees and clover would make good starters.

Then we would need vast numbers of plankton and algae to colonize the oceans. These oxygenate the atmosphere and provide something for larger ocean dwelling animals to consume, especially phytoplankton and zooplankton. Kelp in particular is necessary to provide a habitat for many creatures.

We would also need critical decomposing bacteria and fungi. This helps cycle nutrients instead of merely letting them sit, especially do with plants, as cellulose and lignin are very difficult to decompose - see the Carboniferous era.

This would begin to provide a base for further colonization. I'm not particularly well versed in primary succession and things necessary for ecosystem development, so I'm sure there are a great deal of things I'm missing.
>>
maybe Pupfish and Fairy Shrimp from the genus Branchinecta
>>
Amegilla cingulata
>>
A bowl of eggs.
>>
>>2261366
>>2261375
>>2261383
>>2261387
>>2261403
>>2261438
absolutely fucking retarded

how old are you?
>>
>>2261359
Just use the planet as a trash dump for a few centuries. Bacteria will adapt or die, and diversify, and having incoming foodsource produced on earth might help the bacteria not diversify to be independent of what we would think usefull. Also garbage brings critters, molds plant matter. Basically see what sticks. (Bound to be a tartigrade in there somewhere, maybe some triops from some kids abandoned science experiment, plant seeds)
>>
Cyanobacteria and other forms of zoo-plankton to get the oxygen and the oceans going. Life will follow from there, as it did on our planet.
>>
>>2261359

What generator did you use for that shit?
>>
>>2261451
Calm down mate, I started this thread mainly as a funpost for people to discuss and to speculate what type of Organisms they would use to Terraform an Exoplanet and what type of creatures they would like to see on a hypothetical exoplanet.

>>2261988
http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp
>>
>>2261359
>hotter with less oxygen
Parasite Paradise
>>
>>2261359
Provided that photosynthetic microorganisms were placed there by other anons, Artemia salina or similar.
>>
>>2261359
20 chickens with blue feathers.
>>
Outdoor cats
>>
>>2263505
bastard
>>
>>2261359
>but less Oxygen than earth does.
So what do you expect us to imagine? Complex life that functions on low levels of oxygen is impossible in our world meaning we cannot correctly guess the cellular making of these hypotheical lifeforms. So you have already ruined the experience by creating such an obstacle OP.
>>
>>2261359
Endless amounts of plankton. we could dumb some of our biological waste too. Like Cattle-excrement ,cadavers and human corpses. Just to kick off the microfauna on the planet.
>>
>>2261359
Two humans
>>
>>2261381
what about grass? as long as there's water and sunlight i'm pretty sure you can grow grass
and then you can grow deer because they eat grass
i know you read a book by charles dawkins and you want to show off big sciency words but this really isn't that hard
>>
>>2265184
Grass needs organic soil, like almost any other vascular plant. A planet with no prior life on it has none.
The first step must be to introduce lifeforms that can grow on and extract nutrients from bare rocks. Grass can't do that.

Maybe you should do some reading. Try finding out what the differences between primary and secondary succession are and why soil creation takes so long.
>>
>>2265190
just use some fertilizer, nobody said the planet was made out of rocks
assuming conditions just makes you look dumb
>>
>>2265231
You have to be eighteen or older to browse 4chan.
>>
>>2265496
I've been here since '05, no need to get lippy with me just because i called out your autism, newfag.
>>
>>2265231
Problem is, very quickly you'll run out if the nutrients in the fertilizer without organisms to recycle them. That's where microbes, fungi, and insects come into play.
>>
>>2265895
there's microbes in fertilizer. People grow stuff all the time without bugs and mushrooms. Once again overcomplicating the obvious just makes you look dumb.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.