[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2 Week-Old Kitten With Fleas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 112174189.jpg (98KB, 463x370px) Image search: [Google]
112174189.jpg
98KB, 463x370px
Hey. I'm looking for some advice.

My gf and I just took in a 2-week old kitten that some friends found in their heating vent.

We've been doing all the right things for it so far (according to the vet that we just took it to), but the vet gave us some bad news.

It has fleas.

We have another cat in our apartment (which we aren't technically supposed to have, under threat of a $1000 fine from our apartment complex) and we're worried that this cat will also get fleas if we keep the kitten. We have a tiny apartment and it would be impossible to keep them separated once the kitten is mobile.

We won't be able to give the kitten a proper flea treatment for 6 weeks. The vet told us that we can bathe the kitten with Dawn soap in the meantime, but this doesn't seem like a solution.

My question is: what should we do? Should we stick it out and keep the kitten? Should we try to find a shelter that can take it, look for a friend that would be willing to put up with all of this, or should we try and find the mother and let the kitten return?

tl;dr we have a 2-week old kitten with fleas that is unable to get treatment and another cat in our apartment that we don't want infected
>>
File: Dirty no-good kitten that I love.jpg (136KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Dirty no-good kitten that I love.jpg
136KB, 720x1280px
Here's a picture of her
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 470x610px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 470x610px
Considering you shouldnt even have the first cat you should probably get rid of it.
>>
>>2258301
Yeah, it's just hard to give her up. We could try to find a shelter, but would they even take a 2-week old kitten with fleas?
>>
put her outside
>>
treat the adult
>>
>>2258306
The adult hasn't been exposed to the kitten at all. We've kept the kitten "quarantined" in the bathroom since we got her, and the adult is pretty put-off by her anyway.
>>
Dawn dish soap for washing kitty. Vacuum option and leave a bowl of soapy water under a lamp on the floor. Fleas will jump in a die.
>>
>>2258313
>leave a bowl of soapy water under a lamp on the floor

Huh, never heard of that. I'll look into a bit more. I basically know nothing about fleas. Thanks for the actual advice.

We would really like to keep her if at all possible. We've grown attached in the few days that we've had her
>>
>>2258296
Dawn bath, and comb the fleas off while the kitten is wet. There is a special flea comb you can use. Flea product will permanently blind or kill a kitten that young.
>>
>>2258320
We just gave her a Dawn bath, and we bought a flea comb at the vet. Is this going to be enough to get rid of the fleas in a timely manner though?
>>
Don't wash a 2-week old kitten. Kittens can't regulate their body temperature and it could easily freeze to death.

My rescue kitten came anemic and absolutely infested with fleas. I used a flea comb about 2x daily and drowned them in a bowl of soapy water. I also dabbed apple cider vinegar on his neck, but I have no idea if that did anything. Within a few days the kitten was flea free.

Treating the adult cat will also help.
>>
>>2258332
Too late!
>>
>>2258335
oh, yeah I just saw that! just keep her toasty then :3 I never bathe my cats unless they get poo butt/paws and then I use about an inch of water in the sink.

Use the flea comb on both cats to see if they spread. Fleas are pretty easy to get rid of unless you get an infestation.

I recommend a combo of Program and Capstar when your kitten is old enough. Safest flea meds there are.
>>
>>2258338
She's all dry now, and she has a heating pad in her bed. She'll stay plenty warm, don't worry man
>>
>>2258339
I would just keep her in a separate area for now. Preferably with a hard floor. Carpet is a flea's best friend. Adult fleas, while gross, are will die soon especially if you comb often and drop them in a jar of water/soap. The real problem with fleas is the eggs and larva, which fall off the cat and end up in carpet and any kind of fabric. So vacuum or wash/dry any places or linens she's already been on. Be sure to wash her bedding often. I think on a new kitten it would actually be pretty easy to get rid of fleas manually, just by combing since you don't have an infestation in the home itself. Also be sure to use a flea treatment on your adult cat just in case.
>>
>>2258347
Also even though she's quarantined...she needs attention and light handling. Pretty soon if not already she will be ready for playtime (do not let her think your hand is a toy). I assume you know how/when to feed. This is really early for a kitten to be separated from mom and litter, and you don't want a poorly socialized cat as a result.
>>
>>2258347
I've vacuumed today already
She's in the bathroom (the warmest room in our apartment) which has a tile floor
We've bagged up all of the clothes that we wore while handling the kitten, at least I hope so. Might just go through and wash everything.
I think that I'll do a flea treatment on the adult cat this weekend just to be sure, but she really hasn't been around the kitten at all.

>>2258355
I make sure to handle her before and after feeding her, so that should be good. How would you recommend playing with her once she's a bit more active?
>>
>>2258359
Sounds good.

You can play like you would with any cat. A kitten in particular is easy to please, they will play with any old thing tied to a string.
>>
Thanks for all of the advice y'all. I'm feeling a lot better.
>>
>>2258296
You're keeping two cats in an apartment where you're not allowed to have pets.. you're aware that cat stench doesn't go away, right?
>>
>>2258309
No, what he means is get flea meds for the adult. He/she should be on monthly flea meds anyway because you can track fleas in just from outside unless you are super, super careful. But it's difficult, and usually by the time you see a flea on your cat, they are already infested.

Also, dawn is a very good option. Soap the kitten up thoroughly and try to get just the top of his head soapy while being careful not to let it get in his eyes or ears. Let it sit for a full five minutes, then gently rinse it off and make sure you have a warm towel to put the kitten in.

It takes about 5 minutes for the soap to kill the fleas.
>>
Also, ask your apartment manager about a deposit for animals. Usually cats aren't such a big deal, and most times they allow a deposit (which you can sometimes make payments on), just don't tell them you have a cat but are instead looking to adopt two off your friend who has to get rid of them.
>>
>>2258491
I'm hoping that my stench will cover it up
>>
>>2258514
The adult cat is insie only, so it's not such a big deal. I'm still gonna go for a treatment on her just to be careful.

I'll leave the soap on longer next time. We didn't find any fleas on her after the bath and a combing
>>
Tip: fleas can jump off their host animals to lay eggs in your house. Good luck with that.
>>
>>2258534
I don't think I clarified correctly. You, yourself, can track in fleas from outside. Anyone that has pets and don't wash their laundry before leaving the house can track in fleas. And then, once you have an invasion, it takes months to get rid of them.

People are always surprised when their inside cats get fleas, but this is how it happens and why keeping an adult cat on regular flea meds is a good idea.
>>
Warm water is safe, any non-harsh dish detergent without any fragrances works wonders on killing fleas. Jet dry is really good and doesn't foam.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.