[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really hope North American invasive species are fucking up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

File: cfia_eab_pest_fact_sheet.jpg (4MB, 2550x3501px) Image search: [Google]
cfia_eab_pest_fact_sheet.jpg
4MB, 2550x3501px
I really hope North American invasive species are fucking up the Old World 2bh. We just lost a massive ash tree on our property to these Chinese mother fuckers.
>>
>>2258101
Fuck zebra mussels 2bh
>>
File: 1476950703416.gif (180KB, 135x111px) Image search: [Google]
1476950703416.gif
180KB, 135x111px
>>2258242

I'd let them pet my indoor cat, desu.
>>
>>2258249
>>2258248
Samefag autism
>>
>>2258101
We had asian longhorn beetles here in Ontario too but I think they were eradicated
>>
>>2258251
now everyone knows you're wrong
>>
>mods prune catfag posts in a single thread
>Will let multiple pit bull troll threads slide
What the fuck mods
>>
>>2258346
At least they're doing something
>>
>>2258101
Crawfish are invasive in Europe
>>
File: Fountain Grass.jpg (184KB, 800x500px)
Fountain Grass.jpg
184KB, 800x500px
GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WETLANDS!

FUCKING WEEDS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2258379
Are bullrushes invasive?
>>
>>2258251

No idea where my post proving you wrong went, but oh well.
>>
>>2258360
that's a fucking stupid statement
think about it and rephrase it

we had/have our native crayfish species.
>>
>>2258101
>I really hope North American invasive species are fucking up the Old World 2bh
Well several of our 'native' species have North American origins. They crossed the land bridge.
So are our ecosystems fucked up?

Personally think the American mink is a damn shame, because we have our own European mink. Guess the American is fitter. Otters seems to outcompete them a bit.

American beaver seems to outcompete the European beaver in Finland as well.

As for the crayfish, I personally prefer to have several non-native crayfishes than our native crayfish which can barely handle pollution and disease. Besides Sweden is still full of them (Noble crayfish). Though some of the North-American crayfish can cross land and colonize waters which amphibians use to breed, and this does fuck up the amphibians.

Similar stuff with our red squirrel, it is clearly adapted to conifer species, while your grey squirrel can digest the acid of acorns much better and is clearly a deciduous forest type of squirrel. Funny the grey squirrel can't handle the pine marten as well as the red squirrel because it is fat tho.

Also, many of the trees introduced from North-America to Europe used to have relatives here in Europe until that damn Ice Age killed off most of them. But really, foreign plants are usually a bigger ecological problem in my opinion (compared to insects, mammals and so on) since they do not have any or many insects feeding on them (which in turn support species of birds and so on).

But the black cherry (Prunus serotina) does now have more insects feeding, living on them, than our native bird cherry (Prunus paddus). But this is only possible because they are closely related. I can show you the study of this if you are interested.

Something like the introduced black locust has almost no invertebrates supporting it. Same with red oak (Quercus rubra), which can also aggressively seed.

Personally think we don't really got a fuck-up, just a mixed bag.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>2258572
Louisiana crawfish are invasive to Europe
>>
>>2258579
They are the ones causing the trouble with amphibians namely in Spain.
We have another one which causes less trouble, but crayfish plague does harm the noble crayfish.

There's another North-American crayfish that also walks on land however.
>>
File: IMG_1499.jpg (43KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1499.jpg
43KB, 236x354px
>>2258579
Sorry about that. Here, let us help you out.
>>
>>2258617
We have crayfish in lakes and rivers here in Canada but nobody eats that shit
>>
>>2258101
>Tfw almost all natives to Florida are getting wrekt by non-natives
>Tfw our native mosquito fish is wreking the world.
>>
>>2258680
Don't you have an invasive snek?
>>
File: Lymantria dispar.jpg (93KB, 896x721px) Image search: [Google]
Lymantria dispar.jpg
93KB, 896x721px
>>2258101
Ha-ha fuck you
>>
>>2258769
I see what you did there
>>
>>2258101
It seems every generation has an invasive species which kills trees
My parents had dutch elm disease, now we have EAB
>>
>>2258756

Reticulated pythons.

They even eat motherfuckin gators!
>>
>>2259175
Beech trees are diseased near me but the fungus only attacks mature trees over 20cm diameter
>>
>>2259175
>My parents had dutch elm disease
You had trees as your parents? Interesting, how did that work out for you?
>>
>>2259397
I just read about this and it's Burmese and reticulated pythons which became an invasive species from people releasing pet snakes

Wouldn't this cause a genetic bottle neck? Wouldn't there need to have been dozens or more original specimens released to ensure genetic diversity?

At what point could the snakes become so inbred that they're all diseased, or does this not happen to reptiles?
>>
>>2258680
I thought everyone loved our mosquito fish other than the Aussies
>>
>>2259403
The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
>>
>>2259406

You only need to frequent this board regulalrly to learn quite how many retarded, irresponsible, immature and downright anatagonistic assholes own various non-native animals and are happy to release ones they don't want for whatever reason into the wild.

The original stock of these snakes probably runs into the tens or hundreds - plenty enough for genetic diversity to be sufficient, and they seem to be thriving in Florida.
>>
>>2259429
I let my pet zebra mussels go in lake Ontario about 30 years ago
Is that bad?
>>
>>2259434

>Now god will kill you for sure.

Good.
>>
>>2259438
I let my pet sea lampreys go in lake Erie
Is this bad?
>>
>>2259462

>You made the baby Jesus cry.

Well done. Well done Anon.
>>
>>2258617
Fuck I'm so hungry after seeing that. Boiling 40lbs of crawfish with potatoes, corn, and mushrooms is great
>>
File: pest.jpg (116KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pest.jpg
116KB, 640x480px
Fuck these bastards and fuck the idiots who released them here.
>>
>>2259885
Where?
>>
>>2259885
I didn't know racoons were invasive
They're kawaii af
>>
>>2259939
They are the niggers of the animal world
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (19KB, 316x400px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
19KB, 316x400px
>>2259438
>>2259688
i actually have a relevant true story like this
>be my granddad
>be in southern oklahoma
>be kid, probably 10 years old
>have a spare dollar
>see an ad in a magazine for 10 green anoles for $1
>want them
>order them
>about a day later they arrive in a tube in the mail
>over the course of the week lose them all in wilderness
>they breed and begin to spread
and thats the story of how my granddad introduced anoles to about 9-10 different counties in southern ok
>>
>>2260119
Are they a common invasive species?
>>
>>2260263
im not entirely sure i just know that he introduced them to an area which wasnt apart of their natural habitat
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.