[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog care

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: cute-galgo-español-dog-photo.jpg (140KB, 1096x728px) Image search: [Google]
cute-galgo-español-dog-photo.jpg
140KB, 1096x728px
Redpill me on dog care, /an/. I don't know a thing about dogs, so I don't know of good sources to get information from. Sorry in advance for such a big spoon-feeding request

What kind of food is best for them? What about homemade food instead of store-bought?
How do I train a dog for basic things like shitting outside and not jumping at people?
What are good tips to notice changes in their body language and whatnot? I've also read in some places that people more often than not pet or play with dog til they get over-excited, how can you prevent that?
I'm thinking of getting a galgo since I've discovered a galgo rescue here and would like to give one a proper home, any tips on those fellas?
>>
>redpill me

Do the world a favor and kill yourself.
>>
Don't buy kibble with grains or fillers. A good mid range kibble is diamond natural or fromm family.

I like to supplement kibble with fatty foods and oils to keep a shiny coat, and yogurt to help digestion.

Don't be afraid to make corrections, be it using a spray bottle when they jump or a prong collar for obedience training. All positive training advocates are misguided, a balanced approach is best.

Reward calm behaviour if you want a calm dog. Reward for going to the washroom outside.

Buy a crate for emergencies. Research crate training but it isn't necessary for every dog.
>>
Well for your particular breed, I'd recommend a high quality kibble/wet mix for the time being. Its hard to concoct home-made staple for your animal until you're familiar with their complete nutritional needs, that's definitely more involved than any few recipes or posts.

Rather than rough or exciting play you should be ready for long fetch sessions and plenty of running.
As far as house-training it all depends on the individual, if you've got a neglected animal it complicates things greatly. Its good that you're going to be observing behavior closely, but be aware that a dog may approach you with a message then become distracted themselves and bring you a toy/want to play/start scratching/etc , though in general I've taken most behavior that I cannot immediately explain to be indication that something needs to happen soon, ill start with a let-out, check food (some like to only feed at certain times, but I personally feed high-energy breeds whenever they want to keep their stomach acid under control) refresh water (you can never do this too much). If there is problematic behavior it ends up usually resting in those areas. A dog that gets enough play and outside time will rarely go in the house once they map their yard (running channels, play areas, and bathroom area are usually kept separate so make sure they can access their typical bathroom area)
You will probably find more information searching for greyhound care rather than galgo, at least if you typically frequent English websites.
There is quite a bit to dog care but to me those are some of the basics. If you want to communicate verbally, tone is everything. Speaking low and harshly will mimic a growl and they will get the message first , then listen for words. Same goes for high , encouraging tones. Body language counts so don't be afraid to exaggerate movements.Once they are used to that then they start picking up on words themselves, in my experience.
Hope this helps
>>
>>2257670
As a side note , you can never be too prepared. It might feel silly buying your dog a sweater, shoes, or raincoat (if they can tolerate them) but it helps to have anything that will reduce the stress of unusual situations. Its good to be aware of fur maintenance, different coats will require different care and wash intervals will vary with this and environment. Nail maintenance is a priority when working with running dogs, so keep lots of treats for when its time to clip or grind (i prefer to grind because of the split risk of clippers, though some dogs cannot tolerate it. If you must clip , invest in high quality clippers and keep them sharp)
Ill probably just keep dumping things in this thread as they come to mind unless someone tells me to stop.
>>
>>2257669
Also, it would be ok to just prepare for the dog by
>buying a small (14lb) bag of mid to high range kibble
>6 foot vinyl leash
> collar
>crate
>rawhide 'bone'
>toys such as a Kong, tug a war rope, ball, and a stuffed animal

You can save money by making a dog bed out of pillows and blankets, using containers instead of buying bowls, and toys such as cardboard (if they don't eat it) and old items in general.

After you bring the dog home go to a vet to get a check up and ask your questions, the vet will give you a run down of what else you need and other recommendations
>>
>>2257678
Rawhide is a bit controversial. There are safer chews. Nylabones, antlers, and digestable rawhide are good bets.

OP will probably need to make sure to get a Martingale collar since he is getting a sight hound. Thry have bad habits of backing out of flat collars. Could also consider a harness.

He also needs to buy a bag of food the shelter gives the dog, and a good new food. He needs to research how to switch dog foods.

Make sure to tell your vet you just adopted your doggo. Many vets slash or outright waive the consult fee for your first visit with your rescue doggo.
>>
>>2257669
>>2257670
>>2257678
>>2257684
Thank you, this is very helpful. Some of these things I've thought of but others never really crossed my mind
Additionally, would it be better to adopt a younger or an older doggo?
>>
>>2257693
>would it be better to adopt a younger or an older doggo?
Depends on what you want from your doggo. Younger doggos will have a much higher exercise requirement. Older doggos will be more couch potatoes.
>>
>>2257693
"Younger" how? Puppies are hell and need to go out every hour or every two hours for a month or more, even if they know they should eliminate outside, their bladders aren't up to it quite yet.
Year old dogs are often housebroken already, and still hype. Nearly all dogs are adults and calmer by the time they're two.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.