[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

How many of you guys actively try to attract crows? I am fascinated with crows, I would love to have them visit my front yard. I placed peanuts in my front yard, but have had no success. I always see them fly a few blocks near my house. They usually hang out by this big field. I tried putting peanuts there too, but so far they haven't seen them. Should I put peanuts there and then place peanuts closer and closer till they eventually fly over my house and see the peanuts? What do y'all suggest? Besides drinking bleach. Would crows appreciate corn too? They sell deer corn at the stores nearby. Also no, I'm not gonna put carrion in my front yard. The HOA would bitch at me.
>>
I try during spring/summer, since they fuck off any other time. They have no interest in any bird feeders I have, but I also don't have trees in my backyards so I mostly get house sparrows, doves and starlings while neighbors with trees get plenty of song birds and crows. Does not matter what feed I put out.

For crows if I see them around my house like on the powerlines, I throw some shit out and walk away. It got them comfortable enough to hang around my house a little more during these times but thats as far as I've gotten. I am not sure how well crows smell but they seem to be attracted to food that actually has a smell. If they are around, look to see if they are looking at you. Throw some smelly food and walk away. You don't have to put a dead cow in front of your yard but maybe some meat may help.
>>
I tried to befriend carrion crows and they attacked me.
I figured they probably thought I wanted to bait them like they bait fish with bits of food.
>>
I guess I'll try corn since that has a smell and is bright.
>>
>>2255173
Corvids are the best for of life on this planet
>>
They definitely are. They're extremely smart. They can recognize people and communicate with each other very well. My grandfather's friend once aimed a stick like a rifle towards these two crows and they fucking flew light speed. They're very good learners.
>>
Ravens are cool too. I believe their intelligence is around the same.
>>
Try meat.
>>
You can't force them to feed. Selectively, they will come feed on your property whenever they see fit. Crows often populate parking lots and are keen on handouts. They'll typically recognize you the next day too.
>>
I've been rollin this idea around in my head too, currently considering buying some good quality cat/dog treats to take with me when I'm walking around. I see a lot of crows in my area and it would make me happy to be able to befriend them
>>
Try mealworms. Look for a container with mostly brighter-colored ones so that they stand out more. The wiggling should get their attention.
>>
>>2255173
>TFW live in a neighborhood with local crow family
>Want to befriend them but also don't want to turn my neighbor's yard into a literal shithole
>>
>>2255304
Dog/cat would would be great once you already have them come on a schedule because if you don't, ants love cat and dog food. They will infest that shit in minutes.
>>
I have 2 Ravens and some crows that hang around my apartment and I will throw food to them daily, I'm not sure if they associate me with nice guy gives food yet but they're not as skiddish around me as my neighbors. Coolest thing I saw was one crow laying down nuts or something on the parking lot and waiting for people to run them over
>>
>>2255597
That's pretty neat. I've only seen that shit on TV.
>>
I live across from a jackdaw nest and I've lured them to the small balcony I have at my apartment.
There can be like 8 of them at a time, and they often wake me up in the morning.
I bet my neighbours hate me, but I'm pretty happy with the constant animal documentary I get to look at just 7 feet away from my desk.
>>
>>2255633
What do you feed them?
>>
>>2255642
Oats and old bread.
I've heard people say bread is bad for ducks and other birds, but these jackdaws basically eat everything that lays on the ground, so a piece of bread is probably the least of their worries.
The food itself isn't that imporant. Just put it in a spot they can see and keep putting it there.
It took me a few weeks to lure them the first time I tried, but now I can get them back within a day even after I've been away for a couple of months.
>>
>>2255667
Few weeks huh? Those are some wary birds.
>>
>>2255173
I put out watermelon for crows bedore and they liked that
>>
>>2255673
Because they're black? Fucking racist.
>>
File: CrowWing32.jpg (613KB, 1440x454px) Image search: [Google]
CrowWing32.jpg
613KB, 1440x454px
They make snow angels apparently.
>>
>>2255606
Yeah same until that time, was the high point of my week
>>
>>2255709
When I was stationed in Camp Pendleton, the fucking crows and ravens would go into open dumpsters and trashcans and tear all the fucking bags up. They would even wait for chow to be over because that's when the chow hall workers threw the garbage out. And it would be us having to pick it up at 5am. As much as I didn't appreciate their messy eating, they still had my interest and appreciation. Ravens make the weirdest sounds.
>>
I heard if you feed them McDonalds fries they become very loyal and will fight on your behalf against the tree crows.
>>
>>2255669
It's been years now and they still freak the fuck out whenever I move around.
Guess that's what you learn when you're a city birb.
>>
>>2255766
It's a dangerous world out there for birbs. Birb niggas die young getting shot with pellet guns.
>>
>>2255766
Then again, they are jackdaws. They might behave in a more shy manner than other corvids.
>>
>>2255173
Crow and Ravens are one of the best birds ever, smart, can cooperate when need it and trickester of the highest order.
>>
>>2255873
Do you feed them?
>>
>>2255334
>thinking attracting crows will turn neighbors yard into shithole

They're not cats.
>>
>>2255882
Infact, crows outsmart cats. There's a neat video of a crow fucking with two cats as they fight over stupid cat shit. The crow is just mocking them and is amused by their fighting.
>>
File: wrenstamp.gif (21KB, 177x189px) Image search: [Google]
wrenstamp.gif
21KB, 177x189px
>>2255173

We always have a few Jackdaws knocking around, we live in a bungalow and the house doesn't have a "back" door, more like "side" door at the long end that opens to a small alley overlooked by bushes, we put dishes there for the dogs to eat from, but they might was well be for the birds, we get starlings, house sparrows, finches, a robin and a couple magpies eating from them every morning, rooks and seagulls if you throw stuff onto the shed
>>
>>2255746
Underrated post
>>
>>2255914
Starlings are scum
>>
We have massive roosts of crows that overwinter near me. It's cool as hell to watch them migrating to/from it in autumn and spring. You get these rivers of crows filling the sky, stretching from one end to the other. I'd love to befriend them sometime.
>>
my cousin hit a crow with his car it was still alive so he was about to kill it but his son said he would car of it and when it got all better it would come by and visit and then brought friends when he started feeding corn crows have a really good memory and i'm not saying hurt a crow and take care of it so that it will like you just saying how my cousin has like 5 crows that will follow hime to school and be outside his window waking him up at 7 in the morning
>>
>>2256059
That's a cool story! The rescued crow probably told the other crows that he was badass for taking care of him and for feeding him corn. I hope one day they'll follow me around and shit, that sounds cool.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yzp7GMRibQ0

Yeah, crows are fun. They also enjoy emptying garbage cans.
>>
>>2255746
>>
>>2256188
The best I ever did was make two rival ant piles fight each other.
>>
>>2256052
Starlings are awesome, smart and affectionate birds.
It's not their fault that they were agressively introduced to the states in repeated attempts.
>>
>>2256410
>Affectionate
>Kills and scares tons of native birds
>Fights extremely aggressively
>>
File: murderoftits.jpg (45KB, 645x393px) Image search: [Google]
murderoftits.jpg
45KB, 645x393px
>>2256430
If you are not agressive you don't get a nesting place. No bird is affectionate towards other species, even the cutest birds will be fucking brutal wintertime, pic is birds killed by eurasian tit
>>
>>2256458
Most native American song birds do a decent job of coexisting. They will be aggressive towards each other, but it usually doesn't result in death. Starlings on the other hand don't give a fuck, and they'll fuck shit up. I'm assuming most European birds are like that. Just like that Eurasian tit.
>>
>>2256466
Europe is hard life. Russia bird must be strong or winter come die.
Anyways, starlings are in a decline here so I wish I could bring them home from countinents they don't belong. You can always trap and shot them in the meantime.
>>
>>2256485
Yeah, everything is bigger and meaner there for that exact reason. Bears, boars, birds, tigers.
>>
>>2255186
It's still warm here, and I still see them around at this time.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.