[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best kinds of snakes for pets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

I went to a pet expo today and held my first snake. The snake coiled around me and squeezed so tightly, I was hooked instantly.

What are good a species of snakes for pets? I want one that's usually active and playful.

On another note, does anyone know what kind of snake this is in the picture?
>>
>>2254989
YIFF IN HELL
I
F
F

I
N

H
E
L
L
>>
A good starter one would be a corn snake.
>>
>>2254997
What makes a snake good for a starter?
I don't really care about how hard it is to manage I just want a cool snake that loves me lol, I don't mind if I'm bitten either. I don't have a lot of experience with handling reptiles but I feel like they vibe with me, I'd show no fear in picking up a cobra.
>>
>>2255000
>that loves me
Then you don't want a snake.
>>
>>2255016
Just because you can't see snake's facial expressions doesn't mean they don't have feelings.
>>
Its a vine snake
>>
>>2255028

Reptiles don't form bonds like mammals do. Snakes can be curious of you and will cuddle you for warmth, they might even display excitement because they associate you with food but they don't form bonds. Not to say you shouldn't get a snake, they're really neat pets, but don't expect it to have feelings. Its just not a trait most reptiles have.

As for starter snakes, you want one that will be a consistent eater and doesn't require too much special care. I recommend a corn snake, they have a ton of different very cool looking morphs. Western Hognose is cool, too, and my personal favorite snake. Whatever snake you decide to get, just make sure to do your research and have a proper set up for them.
>>
>>2255042
other active movers and consistent eaters:

>king snakes (and milks also)
>rosy boa
>children's python
>spotted python
>>
>>2255042
This guy is correct.

I have a corn snake. He's easy to handle, and easy as fuck to take care of. They're literally the easiest pet on earth, but they're not exactly exciting, and they would just rather be left alone given the choice. They spend most of their time buried under their substrate, or curled up inside their hide.

They don't bond with their owners, they just tolerate you because they know it's you that feeds them. Feeding time is about the only interesting part of ownership.

I wouldn't bother getting another to be honest.
>>
>>2255083
Thanks for the help everyone, I want a snake that will coil around me and squeeze me tight lol, what kind of snake would do that?
>>
>>2255263
I also want a big snake as well
>>
>>2255263
Is this a fetish thing? I mean no judgement here, I browse /d/, but you really make it sound like a fetish thing.
>>
>>2255268
No haha it just feels empowering idk
>>
>>2255274
It makes sense, imo I think it's a universal comfy feel for a lot of animals humans included

unless comfiness is a fetish now
>>
> I don't mind if i'm bitten
>want something that will squeeze me tight
The snake for you would be either an emerald tree boa, or a rock python.
>>
>>2255286
Thank you
>>
>>2254989
>snake
>playful
pick one
>>
>>2255263
My corn snake does squeeze pretty tight.
>>
>>2255042
stop with the mammals have bonds meme.
>>
Hey guys.

I owned a bearded dragon for 13 years and she passed about one year ago. I've always been interested in snakes, but didn't want one at the same time as my lizard.

I have a friend who is moving away and is trying to give me her albino Gopher Snake for free and was wondering what you guys thought about that species? I've only really interacted with corn snakes and rosy boas in a pet setting and they were very chill and docile.

Thanks for any tips or experience
>>
>>2255524
If they're social animals, and most mammals are, why wouldn't they have bonds?
>>
>>2256317
you don't have to have social bonds to reproduce constantly.
>>
>>2256328
oh, bonds doesn't need to mean they reproduce with only one partner.

rodents form social bonds. you only need to watch a couple pet rats to realize that.
>>
>>2255042
I second the hognose idea. Great snakes, I got hooked. Have 2 now, getting a 3rd.
>>
>>2256332
observing social bonds has nothing to do with anthropowhatever
>>
>>2256332
it's not anthropomorphising. rats form groups, they will waste away if their cagemates die, they groom each other and have play fights. a female rat will cross an electric grid to get to her pups, and rats left alone will become addicted to cocaine, while rats in groups rarely do.

there are dozens, if not hundreds of studies about their social bonds.
>>
>>2255042
>reptiles dont form bonds
My beardie only lets me pick him up, and whenever i go out of town he hides in his cave until i cone back, even if i have family memebers who are over alot babysit him he stays in hiding even when offered food
In short hes a big baby who only likes me
>>
>>2256336

It's Bugguy dude.
>>
>>2256615
An animal realizing you aren't a threat isn't a bond.
>>
>>2255038
It's actually a rhino ratsnake.

OP for starter snakes, corn snakes are an excellent choice. Would also recommend kingsnakes, ratsnakes (Elaphae spp.) or hognoses. Ball pythons too, if you want something chill and a bigger bodied snake (though they do have higher temperature/humidity requirements and may go off food more readily.)
>>
>>2256309
Gophers are pretty sweet snakes. Have kept another Pituophis sp. and it was fiesty as heck. Got him to calm down with consistent handling (1-2 minutes max/every other day.) over a relatively short period of time. They may occasionally hiss or vibrate their tail on the ground to mimick rattling, but mine only struck at me once with a closed mouth. Also, they are fantastic eaters, which is always a plus, and have relatively low care requirements (hot size ~85, low side ~75 and low ambient humidity.) They can also calm down a bit with age, so maybe ask to handle it first if you don't feel confident handling a (potentially) aggressive, large snake.
>>
>>2257945
It isn't? What is symbiosis?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.