[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wolf dogs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

How many of you fuckers have wolfdogs and what's your advice to people looking to own one. Inb4 "DON'T buy one"
>>
>Inb4 "DON'T buy one"
But what if the best possible advice in this situation is not to buy one?
>protip, 9/10 times it is
>>
>>2250042
My friends had one, they said it had allergies to a lot of dog food (which they also said was common) so they had to supplement it's food with real meat. If they weren't just bullshitting or dumb I guess you need to factor that in when seeing if a dog like that would fit your budget.
>>
Czech wolf dog isn't a real wolf x dog crossbreed but rather an established breed of dog with a known and predictable temperament. If you want a dog that kind of looks like a wolf get one. However don't get an actual wolf/dog hybrid you literally won't know what you're getting into.
>>
But the Check wolfdog has wolf DNA in it. It still has a lot of wolf-like behaviors too. Its behavior won't be as wolf and shy like a first/second generation wolf dog, but it'll still act like a wolfdog due to its wolf blood.
>>
Czech* auto correct
>>
>>2250067
It has wolf ancestry but that doesn't mean it's a true wolf hybrid. It has an established set of characteristics that adheres to its breed standard. If you get one you can more or less expect certain things.

If you cross a random German Shepherd with a random wolf you have no idea wtf you're going to get.
>>
File: IMG_0589.jpg (82KB, 632x470px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0589.jpg
82KB, 632x470px
>>2250042
Don't buy one
Don't breed one
>>
>>2250042

Prepare yourself by drinking bleach
>>
>>2250074
>It has wolf ancestry but that doesn't mean it's a true wolf hybrid.
that's actually exactly what it means
>>
>>2250083
All dog have wolf ancestry just like all human have basketball player ancestry according to (((anthropologists)))
>>
>>2250083
>hybrid
>the offspring of two plants or animals of different species or varieties, such as a mule (a hybrid of a donkey and a horse).
The only thing the Czech wolfdog is the offspring of is two other Czech wolfdog.
>>
>>2250094
So by your logic second generation hybrids are not hybrids?
>>
Literally all dogs have wolf ancestry you dumb cowdick

My golden retriever is exactly as much of a wolf hybrid as a Czech wolfdog
>>
That's a false equivalency. The Czech wolf dog is a very recent breed and still has more wolf DNA than your golden does you jackass.
>>
>>2250130
Well, the thing is, a golden isn't a wolf hybrid at all. Just like a Czech wolfdog isn't a wolf hybrid.
>>
>>2250042
Husky owner here.

You better have alot of time to train them at a young age and another dog to play with.
>>
>>2250042
Why do you want one?
Not baiting, it's a real question you need a good answer to.
Why do you want a worse-behaved, much harder to train and housebreak, never going to be trustworthy, shy of strangers or anything new that comes in their lives ever dog?
If that answer is because it'd be cool or I think they look pretty, please just get a dog that looks wolfy.
>>
>>2250199
Shitty trainer detected
>>
>>2250202
A wolfdog is literally a less domesticated and therefore less trainable dog. This is something you have to accept if you really want one.
I suppose most of what I said wouldn't apply as much to most low content wolfdogs, but most fags like op want as high content as they can get to feel special.
>>
>>2250042
It's illegal to own in many states and the ones that you can own are all autistic as fuck and afraid of humans, as is their instincts
>>
>>2250042
how many dogs have you had in your life?
>>
>>2250204
your original post was spot on and their only response was "shitty trainer"
>>
I don't. No native wolves here and you can't import them.

Theoretically I could see about a Czech WD because they technically could as a domestic dog breed and not a hybrid, so they should be allowed into the country. They sound, temperamentally, like a bit of a difficult mix between GSDs and northern breeds, and I have plenty of experience with both. But importing is expensive, so I wouldn't be doing that any time soon.

Wouldn't get any WD without doing a fuckton of research. Not a first time dog. I hear it's recommended you own several difficult spitz dogs first, just to get an inkling of an idea, but bear in mind that the WD is much worse for house training, recall, prey drive, trusting strangers. Basically everything. High management/maintenance animal.
>>
>>2250208
Its really not. I own 3 huskies and well trained. He claims they're not friendly but they are.
>>
>>2250221
Huskies are not wolfdogs.
>>
We had an idiot show up at the dog park with a littler of wolf hybrids 25% wolf content. 6 dog park regular each took one of the puppies. I've seen most of these pups constantly for the last 2 years at least until they had to stop coming to the dog park. Only 1 of the 6 is safe around kids. None of the others have every bit a kid but they are all weird around them and not trust worthy. The one that is friendly with kids is a male and he is also they only one that is really friendly with people. He is the most regular dog like of the bunch but he also put 3 puncture holes in the head of a lab a couple months ago and hasn't been back since. Only two of them are really safe at the dog park anymore and even those two females are a bit bitchy. All them other than that male are leery of strangers and the one that has spent more time at the dog park and around more strangers than any of them is also the most leery of stranger and even people she has seen her whole life. She barely tolerates me for instance and I've been around here 3-5 times a week since she was 8 weeks old. Being around these very low content wolf dogs has pretty well gotten me over ever wanting one myself.
>>
Cool looking dog but gosh they need so much please dont get one unless you want a mess like if you dont own a shit ton of space (an acre or two) dont get one because the dog will need lots of exercise as you cant walk them without risking injury to other dogs or people.

And legit question why you want one? If you want a large dog just research large breeds if you want the wolf appearance just search for breeds is that simple
>>
>>2250197
Former Husky breeder. No matter how well I fed them, upon running loose they'd kill whatever and drag it home. Sheep, Deer legs, Ground Hogs, Swan, etc. It's who they are.
>>
OP here, thanks for the input everyone. I originally wanted one because I go boar hunting, I've seen other dogs go hunting boars and they all fucking suck, they literally do not know what to do. Most hunters use a combo of baydogs and pitbulls/mastiffs or doggo Argentinos. The baydogs are practically useless and the pitbulls or mastiffs are used to grab the boar, but the dogs are retarded and don't grab it in the right places so they end up getting cut up like an orange. They're supposed to hold the boar till the hunter comes to kill it, but it would be preferable if the dog did it for me. I've read stories on forums on how this guy had a pack of wolfdogs and when they encountered a boar, they immediately knew what to do and brought it down under a few minutes. That prey drive, instinct and intelligence is what I would want. But most of the input sounds negative, so I probably won't get one.
>>
OP again, also, I wouldn't mind having my dog as outdoor dog(doesn't mean I'll neglect it or keep it on a chain). I hear a lot of you guys saying they won't be house trained.
>>
>>2250684
>I've read stories on forums on how this guy had a pack of wolfdogs
Those are just stories. Even real wolves need to learn that shit from their elders. And no, wolfdogs nearly always lack the temperment for boar hunting. Too skittish to bother with dangerous prey.
>>
Boar hunting with wolf hybrids lol
>>
>>2250093

>All dog have wolf ancestry

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2014/0117/Did-dogs-really-evolve-from-wolves-New-evidence-suggests-otherwise
>>
>>2250772
>They share a common ancestor

No shit Sherlock
>>
>>2250684
>but it would be preferable if the dog did it for me
That seems incredibly lazy too me.
>>
>>2250750
I know. You seriously cannot make this shit up.
>>
This will sound like bullshit, but I swear on my dick it's true and you will just have to take my word on it.

>be me
>be 16-17
>have cool as fuck neighbor
>we will call him Gary
>Gary is in his late 70s
>Gary raises sheep
>Gary gives me beer to help with his sheep
>I like Gary a lot, he's like my third grandpa
>Gary one day falls and is more or less forced to move in to town with his son
>based Gary gives me his sheep for practically nothing
No seriously he gave me 7 fucking sheep for $125
>let's me keep them at his place because I don't have a set up
>take good care of Gary's sheep
>Gary's son rents out Gary's place to some guy
>we will call him Austin
>Austin is a pretty cool guy , 20
>works as a crane operator at a fabrication shop
>big history buff specifically ww2 Japan
>Austin quickly gets old, only wants about the same things over and over
>after a couple weeks I start ignoring him
>by this point Austin is moving a lot of shit into my barn
>>
>>2252022

>I am not OK with sharing Gary's barn
>talk to Gary's son about it
>nothing he can do
>decide its time to move the sheep to my place
>set up fence around an old shed and bring my babies home
>also move some of Gary's stuff because he said I could have it with the sheep
Bullshit things like a grooming stand and the broken deep freeze he kept grain in
>Austin causes me of stealing his crap
>dad is a lawyer, let's do this
>one letter and a phone call later Austin let's it go
>decides to get a guard dog top stop me from stealing anything else
>a normal dog won't do for a spastic like Austin
>gets a high content wolf dog
>plasters entire property line with homemade "beware of wolf" signs
>few weeks later see said wolf dog chasing my sheep
>go chew him out
>but can't prove it blah blah blah bullshit
>next morning one of my lambs is dead
>go ape shit tell Austin I will kill his nut if I ever see it again
>sure as shit, dog is in my pasture two days later
>give that fuck two slugs
>my sheep are now safe
>call Austin to come get his dog
>he's way ahead, doesn't answer the phone, is already walking over
>he must have been watching
>he has a fucking katana
>probably folded over 10,000 times
>to bad I still have my shotgun
>tense standoff
>eventually he grabs his dog and goes
>few days later we get a phone call
>we are being sued
>based lawyer dad handles this
>no longer getting sued
>apparently coming on to our property and threatening me trumps shooting his dog
>Austin gets evicted a fee months later.

I'm not opposed to wolf dogs, but they seem to attract the shittiest of owners.
>>
>>2250684
Wow, a bunch of lame lies.

The best boat hunting dogs I've heard of from hunters were American Staffordshire and the Cane Corso. Then again I'm from the Deep South. But even when I moved West people used those.

I really dislike pit type breeds, but every boar hunting one I've met was really well behaved, well trained, and dog friendly. I think boar hunting channeled their aggression.
>>
Here's the kicker, retard: the best advice on wolf dogs IS "do not get a wolf dog". Unless you're a professional animal trainer it WILL end up being a menace to society.
>>
>>2252024
I hope Austin has a shitty life. What a worthless douche.
>>
Lame lies? How the fuck am I lying m8? Also lazy? No, hunting with dogs is pretty cool. So having the dogs kill the boar will be even cooler. It feels cool hunting with your pack.
Inb4 sadistic redneck
>>
>>2251842

Yeah, but that's different than what was thought previously (that all dogs are descended from literal grey wolves).
>>
>>2252127
>So having the dogs kill the boar will be even cooler

I see many many dead dogs in your future.

Dogs are supposed to hold the hot down while you dispatch it for a reason. Take it from a pig farmer holding a pig by its ears is a hell of a lot easier than trying rip it's throat out while it gores you with its tusks.
>>
>>2252024
>trumps shooting his dog
What kind of shithole do you live where a shooting a dog that is attacking your animals illegal?
>>
>>2252127
>Also lazy?
Well if the dog holding the boar and having you knife the pig is too much effort, then yes it seems lazy to me.
>>
>>2252168

civil courts have next to no regaurd for the law, and you can sue for damages even if no crime has been committed. For proof, look at all the niggers who cops have shot and been found justified only to have their family turn around and sue in civil court and win.

Its really kinda fucked up, but I won't pretend to be an expert on the subject, I could be 100% wrong. Like I said my dad handled it, and I had a lot more going on in my mind than some neckbeard and a dead dog at that age.
>>
>>2252250
> you can sue for damages even if no crime has been committed.

You realize that's exactly why civil court exists though? Plenty of situations exist where one person can get fucked without the one doing the fucking necessarily breaking the law.
>>
Wolf hybrids don't act like dogs. No guide on dogs you read about housebreaking, teaching to sit, breaking bad behaviors, separation anxiety, resource guarding, or any of that other shit will apply. You don't teach a domesticated dog and a wolf in the same method. Any wolf in the blood at all will throw all those guides and centuries of wisdom out the window. You will be pretty much on your own, because the resources for owning and training a wolf are very sparse by comparison.

Also, don't do it. The dog/wolf will be completely miserable and so will you. Wolves weren't meant to live indoors or in back yards.
>>
>>2252278
Yeah, if you do decide to get one, a sizable, secure outdoor enclosure is not an option. This is not an animal you can leave in the house, not even a low-content wolfdog.
You're getting a wild animal companion, not a pet.
>>
>>2250772
Dogs and wolves as we know them are believed to have diverged at similar points in time from canids native to Eurasia, how similar they are to their predecessor is not always consistent due to admixture.
>>
>>2250042
If you really really must, for whatever fucking stupid reason, have a dog with wolf blood in it, do NOT buy anything but Saarlos Wolfdog or Czech Wolfdog from a reputable well-known breeder. Do not get any shady crossbreed with unknown wolf-% or you are in for a lot of trouble.
>>
>>2252024
sounds like you needed a livestock guardian dog ;)
>>
How fucked would I be if I adopted a low content one from a rescue? I have no experience with wolf hybrids, but do some zoology shit so am not unfamiliar with wild animal behavior. If it was low content and I met the dog a few times beforehand would I be able to get a pretty good sense for what it would act like?

I don't mind it being weird to train or not acting as well as a dog would, but i'd rather avoid a dog I would need to literally keep in an outdoor enclosure if I don't want the house destroyed or some shit.
>>
A wolf hybrid would be the worst boar hunting dog imaginable.
For a boar dog you need that good old domestic dog attitude of going full retard and attacking some huge animal that is obviously more than a match for them. Wolf hybrids wouldn't deal with that shit.
>>
My aunt and grandpa has a Chow Chow/wolf mix for 6 years. Seems to be sweet but rowdy when I visited them. (They separate him from us when visiting for the first few days and direct him out the rooms when we pass by unattended)

Not sure if they ever experienced complications with him tho, but according to them, he seems obedient
>>
File: budgie.png (60KB, 275x300px) Image search: [Google]
budgie.png
60KB, 275x300px
dont fucking buy one. get a normal dog.

the only reason to buy a wolfdog is because it looks cool or it is cool because it is half majestic wolf.

if you buy wolfdogs, please kill yourself. dont support the trade. these animals suffer with immense confusion because of people like you who want to own one.
>>
>>2252899
He's really unlikely to be an actual wolf hybrid. Your grandparents were probably lied to.
>>
>>2252039
I'm a professional animal trainer and I wouldn't even get a wolfdog.
>>
I want to adopt (not buy so don't yell at me please) a wolfdog someday. I have experience with border collies but I'm aware that the personalities are very different and that wolfdogs are independent and not biddable.
>>
>>2250046
first post best post
>>
>>2250772
The Christian """"Science"""" Monitor
>>
File: zoidberg_telling_it_like_it_is.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
zoidberg_telling_it_like_it_is.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>2250042
>getting a wolf dog because "wolfs are cool"
>getting a tiny shit-assed barking machine because "chihuahuas are cute"
>getting a pit bull because "pits are bad ass"
all of these are equally bad.
you are a bad person, OP, and you should feel bad
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.