[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Partial raw food diet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: pPETNA-1221065_main_r200.jpg (15KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
pPETNA-1221065_main_r200.jpg
15KB, 200x200px
Hey /an/

I'm getting a new kitten in a few weeks and am finding a lot of conflicting info online about feeding your cat chicken/tuna/salmon etc (either raw or cooked). I bought some dry food (Taste of the Wild) but the vet recommends combining it with wet food to avoid UTIs. So I was thinking of feeding dry food in the morning and wet food at night, for example.

My question is: Would it be better for me to just feed my cat some chicken/fish rather than a can of wet food? Or would they be missing any vital nutrients this way? I'm just trying to do what is best for him and give him the best diet possible. If there's a sticky about this I'll read it - just couldn't find it anywhere.

What do you guys feed your cats?

Thanks!
>>
I fed mine just high quality wet food. Rikki cat for treats, perfect bistro for main diet. He didn't eat that much so it only cost me about 40 bucks a month.

They definitely need the wet food and preferably in the morning and night, if not for their main diet. Getting them used to eating a few different flavours will also save you a lot of frustration if you end up having to switch brands. Switching protein sources once in a while is also good.
>>
>>2249419
Tykki cat*
>>
Dry food is not great for cats! You should think about feeding canned food for all of his meals. Here's a great resource: http://www.catinfo.org/

What food you feed them really depends on what your budget is. Personally I feed the cheapest grain free thing I can find, preferably with no fish. I feed a large variety of foods since the companies aren't as reliable and I worry about brand recalls.

I feed Paws and Claws, 4Health, Wellness (in the big can), Soulistic (from Petco), and Fancy Feast Classics. I have two kittens and they eat a ton of food.
>>
>>2249290
Just in case you do end up feeding him full wet, remember to either give him some dry food or treats good for teeths every day, or clean his teeth/get them cleabed regularly.
Only dry will fuck up his teeth.
>>
Cats' natural diet is rodents, birds, small reptiles. If you've ever dissected one or cleaned it for human consumption, you'll find that they have a very high entrail-to-meat ratio. Like, sometimes more guts than (muscle) meat. And the cat eats the whole thing except the gall bladder (and the incisors and sometimes the feet or the tail, depending on the critter). Most of the nutrition is in the brains and entrails... not the muscle meat. So if you're just feeding your cat human-grade muscle meat (chicken, fish, etc) you're missing most of the nutrition the cat needs. A balanced commercially-produced cat food is better than feeding him human-grade muscle meat. Cats need a lot of taurine which they mostly get (in the wild) from eating brains. So commercially prepared cat foods have added taurine. Chicken and fish meat don't have taurine. That's just one example.

Also, fish are often high in heavy metals, so a diet high in fish isn't a good idea. The FDA's guidelines for how much fish you should be eating per month is alarmingly low. This is because of the heavy metal contamination in the oceans.
>>
Uh, I meant dissected a rodent, bird, or small reptile. Not dissected a cat. Although we were expected to dissect a cat in school. 9th grade I think. I cried. Sad kitties vacuum sealed in bags.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Thanks guys! I'll go with a grain free wet food for the majority of his diet with some high quality dry food mixed in here and there for his teeth/poop. Your comments make sense - I read about some people who make their own food online but a lot of them don't add any nutrients which looked off to me.
>>
File: IMG_20161022_184516.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161022_184516.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>2249892
Aww! He looks a little like mine!
>>
File: IMG_20160908_140016.jpg (3MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160908_140016.jpg
3MB, 4000x2992px
>>2249892
>>2249923
Here's a picture of him a little younger. Expect your kitties face to get a lot darker.
>>
>>2249290
>What do you guys feed your cats?
strychnine
>>
>>2249892
You can make your own food but it's trickier than it might first appear. You need to source entrails, not just muscle meat.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.