[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pleistocene Park and related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: pleistocene_park_by_serchio25.jpg (605KB, 1564x379px) Image search: [Google]
pleistocene_park_by_serchio25.jpg
605KB, 1564x379px
What does /an/ think of Pleistocene Park? If you don't know, A few scientists came with an idea that the Megafauna in boreal, subarctic and arctic climates were able to control the climate itself. That the wildlife were allowing grasslands and steppe habitats to thrive instead of Taiga and Forests, keeping permafrost packed underground so it wouldn't thaw. Just like in the Sahara, the animals had similar niches to control what grows, and what didn't. But after the extinction of most megafauna in these regions, the permafrost has been able to melt, and create access methane and CO2. So these scientists have made a place in Russia called Pleistocene Park where they've slowly re-introduced animals that used to be there or close relatives. And with the little plot of land they've used, have shown major changes in the local temperature. One goal the park eventually wants to achieve is a sustainable mammoth population, courtesy of programs like the Long Now Foundation. Experiments might seem outlandish, however, similarly extreme results were found after the small re-introductions of the Gray Wolf in Yellowstone National Park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q
Also, there's a few articles on Pleistocene Park as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene_Park
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0517_050517_pleistocene.html
http://www.pleistocenepark.ru/en/
It's pretty neat shit.
>>
all megafauna is extinct here rip.
>>
>moose
>Siberia
Aren't they semiaquatic or some shit? Wouldn't they freeze to death there?
>>
>>2247958
They have a pretty arctic range as is.
>>
>>2247958
>moose
>semiaquatic

wat
>>
If a group of science lads want to bring back locally extinct shit then fantastic, good luck getting the funding and public interest to successfully follow through with it though. If they succeed with the literal mammoth side of things then brilliant, the world's their oyster.
>>
>>2248101
The park's been around since 1977, and they're planning to add more land in it for the third time since the beginning. They have used their original plot for quarantine now.
>>
>>2247904
It's fucking retarded because it's based on "rewilding" which is nothing but introducing a bunch of non-native species to an area to make it look "prehistoric".

Fuck I wish I had the money to start my own megafauna park. I'd do it fucking correctly, unlike all the idiots who actually have all the money.
>>
>>2247995
Moose actually spend a great deal of time in water and near wetlands.
>>
I rekon it sounds awesome if not what its promises to be at least an interesting experiment. Similiar kind of thing happening in australia ecologists trying to bring populations of tassie devils back onto the main land
>>
>>2248304
Retarded point regardless, if moose can survive in Canada and Norway then they'll be fine in a managed habitat in Siberia
>>
>>2248477
>>2247995
>>2248304
>>2247958
Forgot to mention, moose have been found where the park is already, but only in low numbers.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.