[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fun Facts about Animals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

File: iStock_000023860678Small.jpg (48KB, 668x472px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000023860678Small.jpg
48KB, 668x472px
Let's learn and share something new today!

Cats prefer food at body temperature - the same as freshly killed prey.

Male dogs tend to be more demanding of attention and affection from humans. Females are generally more independent and inconsistent in their focus on their human companions. Females may prefer to abandon cuddle time to go off on their own after a few minutes, whereas males are likely to stick around and get pampered.

There is an obscure segment of the rodent-owning population that trains their pets to run agility courses. You have to see it to understand how cool it is. Binki the gerbil is probably the most famous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8-LjhQM18s

With a couple of exceptions, males and females of most parrot species look virtually identical. It takes a lab test—to tell a boy bird from a girl bird.
>>
>>2246324

crocodiles can go 3 years without food. since they keep their body temp stable by taking in sunlight, and just not moving a whole lot, they expend very little energy

side note, dogs/wolves/coyotes/etc can all go 3 months without food due their ability to survive extreme situations
>>
Wow! Amazing curious facts.
>>
>>2246324

Cats purposely perform what is called "solicitation purring" by combining a high-frequency cry that is superimposed on a soothing low-frenquency purr. It's the same tactic used by human infants to solicit response from their parents when they need something. Your cat normally does this when it needs something, too, usually after getting close to your face to make sure you hear it. If your cat is laying on your head purring at 6am, and you feel a mysterious sense of urgency to pay attention to them - that's why.
>>
File: F2.large.jpg (175KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
F2.large.jpg
175KB, 1280x722px
>>2246324

Picture is the vagina (left) and penis (right) of a duck. They are the most complex sexual organs in the animal kingdom. They have to literally "screw" like a corkscrew just to get it in because the vagina has a bunch of curves and dead ends like a maze. There is only a 5% chance of the female becoming fertilized during sex because her shit is such a mess.
>>
>>2246324
>Male dogs tend to be more demanding of attention and affection from humans. Females are generally more independent and inconsistent in their focus on their human companions.
Although this sounds like bullshit, it is true for my two dogs.
>>
>>2246853

Same for mine. It's on the googles. Obviously, you're mileage may vary because people and animals all vary wildly. But stereotypes exist for a reason.
>>
>>2246851

Mostly true. Ducks tend to rape each other. Alot. Their junk evolved so the female could pocket semen from the rapist in her vaginal and not be fertilized. Hence the dead ends. Ducks mate with 1 partner for life that they will allow to fertilize them. Hence all the jealous rapist ducks.
>>
>>2246851
I dont believe this an animal actually mutated a way to jeopardize their own reproduction.
>>
>>2246865
if it actually stopped rape I would get it
but as I understand it, it only stops impregnation.
maybe the ability for a female duck to choose which rapist impregnates her has an evolutionary advantage.
>>
>>2246865

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11764-female-ducks-fight-back-against-raping-males/

"these features were only found in species renowned for forced sex. All other species [of ducks] had simple male and female genitalia.

More in the link, or google. Nature does some crazy stuff.
>>
A mother panda's milk is wretchedly poor due to bamboo being so low in nutrients. So much so that a nursing mother can barely support a single cub.
>>
the rhino sheds its horn every 3-5 years
>>
>>2246881
it isn't working out for them because they're often gang raped to death.
>>
>>2246894
Pandas are fucking retarded. They should all be shot
>>
>>2246911
You mean pandas or giant pandas? Since this is an animal fact thread you should know well that giant pandas are not pandas.
>>
File: 20161010_201943.jpg (1MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161010_201943.jpg
1MB, 4128x2322px
Contrary to popular belief, mudskippers aren't the best example of evolution. Genetically, we've found their closest relatives, but mudskippers lack any form of fossil evidence that they've existed in the past. Pretty spoopy stuff.
Source:
http://www.mudskipper.it/SysEvol.html
Also, pic is my lil' buddy.
>>
File: 1428578997900669.jpg (27KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1428578997900669.jpg
27KB, 550x535px
>>2246324
>Females may prefer to abandon cuddle time to go off on their own after a few minutes, whereas males are likely to stick around and get pampered
When the female starts to do this frequently it's a sign that she'll probably leave you in a few weeks.
>>
>>2246911
>He fell for the panda hate meme
Go back to tumblr
>>
fish can drown
>>
>>2246957
giant pandas are fucking retarded though.
>>
>>2246938
>lack any form of fossil evidence
Who gives a shit. Every fossil is a literal miracle because the chances are so slim. We have better tools to determine relationships and that's genetics.

Here's a better fact for you:
Mudskippers don't actually skip mud.

Nice fish btw
>>
>>2246324

Lobsters don't mate for life, but the female will stick around for protection while she sheds her shell and her new one hardens up. Also, when stressed, lobsters will drop body parts and regrow them later.
>>
B
>>
File: 1474370233586.jpg (17KB, 438x438px) Image search: [Google]
1474370233586.jpg
17KB, 438x438px
>>2246982
>mudskippers don't skip mud
>>
File: encoun.jpg (70KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
encoun.jpg
70KB, 600x404px
According to a study done in 2014 ("Genome Sequencing Highlights the Dynamic Early History of Dogs"), dogs probably did not evolve from the gray wolf as previously thought. Without getting too technical, it's like domestic dogs and the gray wolf are the two children of a much older kinda-sorta-dog-wolf-thing. They're metaphorical siblings. They share a common ancestor, but aren't ancestors of each other. The gray wolf is not responsible for a dog's genes, and vice-versa.

To say dogs evolved from wolves is like saying your sister is your daughter.

Source: http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1004016
>>
File: ts.png (317KB, 469x351px) Image search: [Google]
ts.png
317KB, 469x351px
Tigers have striped skin, not just fur
>>
>>2246938
They're found in coastal wetlands. Not really a great place to find fossils.
>>
>>2246629
Ummm... Bs? I have guinea pigs and they purr when i pet them. I used to be scared of that because i read that they could make a sound that shows aggression. If i didnt know that a purr ment affection, I wouldve been worried. Not calling it my baby...
>>
>>2248055
Both guinea pigs and cats have more than one purr
>>
>>2248055

There is no reason to call BS on anything in this thread. They're facts. It's not like this is a thread about opinions on neutering or canned food.

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=solicitation+purring

There. Go nuts. If you're especially slow, click the 'video' tab first since reading is hard for you.
>>
>>2248559

Okay, I apologize, that was rude. I have to take the family to visit my mom's house for lunch today and I'm a bit pissy about losing my only day of the week I don't have to work.
>>
>>2248055
>Ummm... Bs?
kys
>>
>>2247917
>as previously thought.
nobody thought that for like 50 years
>>
Koalas are so stupid that if you put their food on a plate, they are not able to eat it.
>>
File: 345cwtd.jpg (41KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
345cwtd.jpg
41KB, 500x402px
Some moths and butterflies are exlusively sex machines, meaning that they dont even have a mouth and will focus solely on mating
>>
>>2248581

It's okay to be stupid as long as you're super cute. Humanity has taught me this.
>>
File: femwmus.jpg (28KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
femwmus.jpg
28KB, 500x258px
A snake can go as long 3 years without eating. Some snakes in captivity (confirmed and on record) have fasted for nearly 2 years of their own will, before starting to eat normally again.
>>
>>2249193
That depends extremely heavily on the species. Most snakes cannot go 2-3 years without eating.
>>
>>2249193
one of the reasons I would never get a snek
I would have a fucking stroke if it did that
my tortoise just vaccums up anything tasty I give her
>>
>>2249211

It's irritating. I have a 5' gopher that hasn't eaten in a couple months. It's not brumating. I keep wondering if I somehow got my scent on the mice stockpile or if she doesn't like the size of the new batch. Every rat I put in there is $3.50. Everytime she doesn't eat, I'm wasting money. As a thrifty person, it pisses me off.
>>
>>2247917
>kinda-sorta-dog-wolf-thing
It was a wolf, as in Canis lupus, but not any extant population/subspecie.
>>
>>2246324
>Male dogs tend to be more demanding of attention and affection from humans. Females are generally more independent and inconsistent in their focus on their human companions. Females may prefer to abandon cuddle time to go off on their own after a few minutes, whereas males are likely to stick around and get pampered
Hmm, I've actually found the opposite to be the case. Source on this?
>>
>>2247917
so basically wolfs are to dogs as monkeys are to humans.

someone should throw feces at all the dominance dog-trainers :^)
>>
>>2251414
>someone should throw feces at all the dominance dog-trainers :^)

I agree, but the "dominance through force" thing is bogus in regards to wolves, too, based on outdated research done on wolves in an unnatural setting and artificially created pack.
>>
>>2251409
>Source on this?

You can google it, something like "female dogs more independent", and get a bunch of articles to read through. This is the first result for that phrase:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/puppycenter/adoption/evr_dg_male_or_female_puppy_which_is_better

Every dog is different, so they won't always fit the same mold. This male/female behavior patterns are just a stereotype you can use for deciding if you want a male/female dog because there is a very good chance it will have that personality.
>>
>>2251399

Only in title. It's not actually a wolf. There is a comment at the end of that study that talks about changing the title so it reflects that it is not a wolf.
>>
>>2247917
>>2247941
>>2246938
>>2246629
>>2246622
>>2248586

neat

>>2246324

Awesome idea for a thread OP, ty

"Dolphin’s unique skin gives them all kinds of advantages. To start, while their epidermis is no tougher than ours, it is about 10 to 20 times thicker than any land animal. It also grows about nine times faster than ours. An entire layer of skin is replaced every two hours. This rapid skin regeneration helps to keep dolphins smooth, silky, and hydrodynamic. "

http://listverse.com/2013/09/03/10-amazing-dolphin-superpowers/
>>
Female bedbugs do not have vaginas. The bedbug reproduction method is known as "traumatic insemination", in which the male pierces the female's abdomen with his penis and injects his semen into it.

;_;
>>
>>2246954
kek
>>
>>2248596
>super cute
disgusting, poop eating, full of sexually transmitted deseases

this is true for every single one of these stupid fuckers
>>
>>2251539
Thats my fetish
>>
>>2251539

I wonder if it is only bedbugs.
>>
>>2251642
There are some marine flatworms that stab each other with their penis
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.