[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't all plants poionous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: grassmang.png (633KB, 557x368px) Image search: [Google]
grassmang.png
633KB, 557x368px
Do you agree with him, /an/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ClQXwkkH8A
>>
it's kind of moot because poisonous is subjective
>>
This guy is either fucking retarded or a troll.

>wew lad these trained professionals couldnt give me an answer about basic evolutionary principles.
>im totally not lying to make myself sound smarter xddd
>>
Maybe every living thing on earth is poisonous, but we're all just adapted to eat each other for the most part.

Thats exactly what would happen if all plants were poisonous.
>>
>>2246061
This is exactly what happened actually
>>
>>2245993
>Why aren't all plants poionous?
because it worked out for them, simple as that. evolution doesn't have clear goals in mind, survival of the species is all that matters and if not being poisonous wouldn't work out then all of them would have gone extinct already
>>
>>2246061
>so, on earth, there's this plant, right
>its fruit contains a defensive irritant that causes blisters and extreme pain
>and the humans, right
>they were like, 'YES PUT IT ON MY MUCOUS MEMBRANES'
>'LET'S BREED ONES THAT ARE EVEN STRONGER'
>I'm just saying we could invade Kepler-440b instead is all
>>
File: fry.png (188KB, 603x452px) Image search: [Google]
fry.png
188KB, 603x452px
>>2245993
>Do you agree with him, /an/?

He said they develop the minimum to survive and then says, with the first statement remaining true, the minimum for survival includes being poisonous in every plant species? And then doesn't explain why?

For a guy complaining about everyone's answers, which he mostly doesn't bother to provide for comparison, he sure didn't do a great job of answering either.
>>
>>2245993
because some species grow so fast being eaten isn't detrimental enough for it to evolve toxicity
because animals evolve immunities all the time and are temporarely immune to any toxins in whatever plant they choose to eat, untill that plant improves its toxins and the cycle continues
because some plants benefit from having parts of it eaten, like birds eating and shitting out seeds somewhere else so the species can spread and grow easier

that's why
there's probably more reasons but that all you need
>>
>>2245993
Lindybeige is mostly full of shit
Plants are not all poisonous because 1)toxins are hard to make 2) it's a good idea to entice animals to eat your seeds and spread your offspring and 3) there are plent of ither defense mechanisms that work better than just making and pumping your organs full of dangerous complex molecules
>>
many plants also breed through being eaten
>>
>>2245993
Insects can quickly mutate defenses against poison.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.