[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do sharks work exactly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 16

File: 6.jpg (159KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
159KB, 630x1200px
I just watched pic related, I'm from a landlocked country, so I have no idea how realistic was this movie.

What are the chances you'll be bitten by a shark if you swim in the ocean?
Do people really just go surfing without fearing for their lives?
How dangerous is it to enter the shallow waters?
What are some measures you guys take to keep yourselves safe in the ocean?
>>
>>2244251
you're more likely to win the lottery than be bitten by a shark.
>>
File: sea-urchin-sting.jpg (33KB, 212x160px) Image search: [Google]
sea-urchin-sting.jpg
33KB, 212x160px
>>2244251

>exact stats
dunno

I freedive all the time and have never been bitten by a shark. I've seen plenty of them. I have, however, never swam with great whites and it isn't high on my list of things to do.

Most injuries I sustain are from urchins. Also, barracuda have a bad reputation for no good reason.
>>
>>2244254
False.
>>
>>2244279
Great argument!
>>
File: Shallow_Water_Blackout.jpg (54KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Shallow_Water_Blackout.jpg
54KB, 300x450px
>>2244273

also wanted to add that the most dangerous part is shallow/deep water blackout. It's good to swim with a partner and you should both be trained in resuscitation. It's much scarier than a dumb old shark.
>>
>>2244280
It is because your info is false. You're more likely to be bitten by a shark than win the lottery.
>>
>>2244283
Most lotteries aren't the jackpot, moron.
>>
>>2244288
0/10
>>
>>2244297
Nice argument!
>>
>>2244273
>I have, however, never swam with great whites and it isn't high on my list of things to do.
Like, what would you do if you swam around down there just minding your own business and you saw one pretty close?
>>
>>2244303
fist fight it.
shark has no fist.
man win every time.
>>
File: tiger_shark_diver_knife.jpg (131KB, 480x450px) Image search: [Google]
tiger_shark_diver_knife.jpg
131KB, 480x450px
>>2244303

Keep an eye on it. Work my way to shore not looking injured. It would depend on the whole situation, like how long till I need to surface for air, the layout of the area, etc. Mostly don't freak out.

Again, it really helps to swim with a partner. Because one attack pattern is to strike really hard, then let you weaken, then eat you. A partner fucks that eating pattern up by helping you. They also are deterred by more than 1 person being there.

If it attacks, you have to beat the fucking shit out of it... eyes, gills, nose.
>>
>>2244336
I just read that great whites can apparently detect electricity from your very heartbeat and locate you even when you are completely motionless

shit I'm never getting in an ocean

ever
>>
>>2244339
it's easy, just let your lungs be filled with water and die before they're able to detect you.

man win everytime.
>>
File: knife-gas.jpg (65KB, 845x466px) Image search: [Google]
knife-gas.jpg
65KB, 845x466px
>>2244339

My dad is terrified of sharks and doesn't like spending time in the ocean either. So when we're ever at the ocean together I talk him into renting a kayak, which he likes.

I admit when the visibility is lower I get little moments of fear that a shark will strike from out of nowhere. Sometimes I carry my kersploder knife to feel comforted.
>>
>>2244346
kek
>>
>>2244349
many forms of mental illness have a hereditary component
>>
File: S6_Lighten_Up_Print2-973x973.jpg (46KB, 973x973px) Image search: [Google]
S6_Lighten_Up_Print2-973x973.jpg
46KB, 973x973px
>>2244369

did something there bother you?
>>
File: thanksijustate.jpg (32KB, 720x474px) Image search: [Google]
thanksijustate.jpg
32KB, 720x474px
>>2244339
Just don't swim with the seals...
>>
>>2244336
We didn't evolve to engage in fisticuffs underwater. I've always heard this meme "le boops him in da nose x3" but is there actually any scientific analyses of this? Or anecdotes from divers? Do divers bring knives down with them? Harpoon guns? Can chainmail protect you from a shark bite (great white)?
>>
Its completely unrealistic.
It'd be like me saying "how can you live near dogs? I just watched cujo and do you really go outside without fearing for your life? What are the chances of being mauled to death by a dog if you go outside?"
>>
>>2244464
okay, I can see why you would make fun but that's basically my life.
>>
>>2244464
>What are the chances of being mauled to death by a dog if you go outside?"
Virtually zero, unless they are pit bulls, in which case, you should treat them with extreme prejudice, shooting them like the rabid dogs they really are as soon as you get in targeting range.
>>
File: 5912_1222480043.jpg (235KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
5912_1222480043.jpg
235KB, 432x288px
>>2244460
A dive knife is a vital utility, not just for defense, but to cut you loose from any seaweeds. A lot more people die from getting stuck in kelp than they do from shark attacks.
>>
>>2244501
That's actually very highly likely. My parents are in a gated rich suburb where everyone lets their purebred dog off leash in the neighborhood to roam and ive had to kick or chase away 3 so far. Also free roaming mastiffs and Pitts that belong to people in The grow OP houses around here. They get out of their electric shock fences easily.
>>
>>2244614
I should've said **everyones untrained and highly dog/stranger agressive purebred dogs roam off leash.
>>
File: seaway bangstick.jpg (34KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
seaway bangstick.jpg
34KB, 600x450px
>>2244460
People in my area say you never hit a shark in the nose. You tear at the gills or eyes. Then, they tell you to just shoot the shark if it ever comes down to it.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1476767730467.jpg (7KB, 545x382px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476767730467.jpg
7KB, 545x382px
>>2244251
I'm actually from the island that movie was filmed on & we have sharks everywhere (pic related is from fishing the other day) , you see them every time you enter the water, and yet we have never had a single attack.

It's not peoples fault, it's not the sharks fault. It's just one of those things you can't predict nor prevent.

Fun fact, when filming they had a robot shark for some of the scenes & one day a tiger shark larger than the prop cruised through to check it out, spooped everyone for a bit.
>>
>>2244251
>What are the chances you'll be bitten by a shark if you swim in the ocean?
Virtually zero. There are more dangerous things like drowning or diving into a sand bar and breaking your neck.
>Do people really just go surfing without fearing for their lives?
I think it's in the back of peoples minds after an attack but most people go out without any worry. Remember that the chances are pretty low.
>How dangerous is it to enter the shallow waters?
Not dangerous
>What are some measures you guys take to keep yourselves safe in the ocean?
Don't swim at dawn or dusk. Don't swim after heavy rain or near river mouths. Don't swim near large schools or fish or seal colonies.
>>
>>2244251
They sense your electric field dead serious.
>>
>>2244712
And swim in clear water. If it's murky you're at a disadvantage.

Overall, there's no reason to fear sharks. The chances of you getting bit are miniscule. Pay attention to any warnings and where they tend to congregate and you can drop that to zero.
>>
>>2244375
>did something there bother you?
that adults are afraid of sharks enough to avoid swimming or carry around a scifi/fantasy dagger
>>
File: 2000_shark_ride.jpg (28KB, 318x326px) Image search: [Google]
2000_shark_ride.jpg
28KB, 318x326px
>>2244740

Oh, ok whatever.

>>2244460

No idea. I got le boop the nose instruction from dive instructors and it's prevalent instruction on sites like national geographic. I've been around lots of sharks but have not had to le boop the nose.

>>Do divers bring knives down with them? Harpoon guns? Can chainmail protect you from a shark bite (great white)?

I sometimes carry my scifi fantasy dagger, or whatever, while wearing full chainmail and a shield. Sometimes spurs if I want to ride the sharks.
>>
File: Pit Bull.jpg (4KB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
Pit Bull.jpg
4KB, 186x186px
>>2244501
wtf my pit bull is super good with kids and never bit anybody
pic related his name is mr worldwide
>>
>live on Cape Cod
>explosion of seal population after stricter fishing laws were put into place
>great white shark sightings daily all spring and summer
>orca sightings
>a fucking manatee was here and is now in the NE Aquarium (and it was fucking pregnant, but that's unrelated to the sharks or fish or whatever)
tl;dr I just don't go swimming desu
>>
>>2246790
Hello neighbor.
Those fucking seals eat an estimated half million pounds of fish every day. Paradise lost.
>>
>>2246790
>orca sightings
Jesus Christ I wouldn't even get near the water.
>>
>>2244339
Not even just your heatbeat, the friction of your blood flow causes electicity and they see that too
>>
>>2244254
I grew up on hawaii. And every day, I swam in the ocean, and every day my father would buy a lottery ticket. I never got bit by a shark and he never won the lottery
>>
>>2246790
You're afraid of manatees?
>>
File: 1411871326731s[1].jpg (8KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
1411871326731s[1].jpg
8KB, 250x236px
>>2244339
fucking hell
>>
>>2244251

I'm certainly not an expert but I had a lesson in school about general underwater fauna, and as far as I can remember sharks are mostly not interested in human.
Attacks only tend to happen if the shark is really hungry, scared, or even merely confusing you with another prey.

Again, I'm not an expect and I could be wrong but I thought I'd share this.
>>
>>2244655
Incorrect. There are actions one can take to minimize the chance of a shark attack.

Of course, we all know that sharks are attracted to blood and thrashing. So long as you make sure you do not have any open bleeding wounds when in the water you should be fine. Should you cure yourself in the water, get out as soon as possible and get it taken care of.

If you live in an area with murky water, avoid wearing jewelry or shiny objects of any sort. The shark might mistake such things for a potential prey item.

Finally, try to be as aware of your surroundings as possible. Sharks are predators and most of the time will avoid animals that have seen them. If you see a shark cruising too close, let it know you see it, and that it needs to move away. Slap the water, jab at the shark, just let it know that if it wants to tangle its no going to be easy.

In summation, be aware that when you enter the water to be considerate of the sharks that live there. They are not after you, and if you just take some minor precautions you can keep it that way. You'll be happier and the sharks will be happier.
>>
>>2244251
Humans are completely alien to sharks, they have never once seen a thing like us in 400 million years so they dont hunt us they confuse us for seals because they cant see color for shit.
>>
I believe more people get killed by coconuts than Sharks each year. Like the beach sidewalk/boardwalk area is most likely more dangerous than the water assuming you are a sensible adult that know how to swim or at least float with a life guard on duty.
>>
I spearfish in San Diego. I've never seen a white, so therefore they don't exist.
>>
File: sharksnearshore55yw.jpg (31KB, 400x246px) Image search: [Google]
sharksnearshore55yw.jpg
31KB, 400x246px
>>2247337
These suckers; the most ill tempered.
Bull sharks, they will come back for more than one bite.
>>
>>2244251
uzbekistan?
>>
>>2244282
how that wok?
>>
>>2244460
Experienced divers do bring knives down with them as standard gear. They are practical and often necessary.

My dad is an underwater archaeologist, and he dives on wrecks all the time, but the area where we dive is really muddy, and because of that, very dark. You often have to navigate by feel. But with the plethora of fishers and crab traps, it's easy to get stuck in fishing line, or get a hook embedded in your hand. If that's the case, you will be very glad you had a knife.

Also, experienced divers always dive with a partner. If something goes wrong underwater, having someone to help you is often the difference between life and death. If you're trapped, they can free you or get more help. If you've lost your knife, they can use theirs. If you're lost, you're not alone, and can figure it out together.

Also, if you run out of air, you can share a tank. You can't just swim for the surface when diving because not only is the surface usually too far away, too quick of an ascent will cause your body to depressurize too fast. You end up with nitrogen bubbles in your blood, which can block your blood vessels and kill you anyway. So you need to make sure you have enough air, through large air tanks and a partner.
>>
>>2249282
The nitrogen bubbles thing, btw, is called decompression sickness, or "the bends".

The blackout thing a previous anon referred to is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_water_blackout
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_water_blackout
>>
>What are the chances you'll be bitten by a shark if you swim in the ocean?
Very, very low. You're more likely to get fucked up by jellyfish than sharks.

>Do people really just go surfing without fearing for their lives?
Yes, because of how unlikely shark attacks do happen and even then, most surfers don't let the risk of one stop them. It's like driving: you could die in a car accident but that doesn't stop you from driving. Only difference is it's more likely to die in a crash than a shark.

>How dangerous is it to enter the shallow waters?
Not even, most sharks don't even go to or stay in shallows long enough and again, just won't really go for you overall. Also more likely to get fucked up by some other kinds of shallow dwelling creatures instead.

>What are some measures you guys take to keep yourselves safe in the ocean?
For sharks specifically, stay away from shark feeding grounds and hours. That's about it really. Beyond that, it's all just basic ocean safety and common sense. (beware of tides, careful around rocks and sandbars, etc)
>>
File: 1428678573815.jpg (126KB, 960x848px) Image search: [Google]
1428678573815.jpg
126KB, 960x848px
"Sharks, Pitbulls and the Lottories are harmless anon!" The thread
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjbH5OuBc4

Watch and learn, mother fucks
>>
File: subwayshark.jpg (100KB, 640x634px) Image search: [Google]
subwayshark.jpg
100KB, 640x634px
Sharks don't work, they're lazy bastards
>>
>>2249535
I would like to raise a couple points in response to this.

First of all, sharks have pretty much no way of exploring the world except with their noses and mouths. Imagine a dog, with no hands, and how much they experience the world with their noses and mouths. "What is this new thing? Let's sniff it, then chew it." Sharks are very much like that, except they don't even have paws, so the only thing they can resort to is their mouths.
If you look at the statistics of shark attacks, they're pretty much always bites. You almost never hear about a shark actually eating a person. It's because they don't really like to eat people. We're not their usual and preferred prey, and we're covered with unpalatable things. Even though shark bites are severe, these bites are nearly always the result of curiosity.

Also, considering how surprised the person was to be bitten, I imagine he's spent a whole lot of time in the water with sharks, and has not had this happen before. If you work with animals, especially wild ones, you're going to end up hurt sometimes. People who work with dogs are bitten all the time, and dogs are domesticated and comfortable with people.

Lastly, I don't think anyone here is advocating for sharks being completely harmless. Sharks are dangerous animals, they are wild animals, and they can, have, and will cause harm to people. However, they are also not ruthless, bloodthirsty, mindless killing machines who attack everything in the vicinity for sport. There's a middle ground. Exercise caution around sharks. But you don't have to cancel your vacation because sharks are not waiting in the wings explicitly to kill you.

It's about the proportion of the fear. Nobody is saying that shark attacks aren't dangerous, but they're blown vastly out of proportion when you're much more likely to be injured or killed from other ways. If you are terrified of sharks but take absolutely no caution around cars or dogs, then you've fallen victim to shark hysteria.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.