[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 34

File: download (1).jpg (8KB, 232x217px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8KB, 232x217px
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

I don't know if this is a common thing on this board, but I have a qtddtot.

My dog stepped on something sharp some time ago, and as a result one of her toes are swollen. It looks infected and she won't stop licking it. What is the right thing to do to help her heal?
>>
TAKE HER TO THE VET YOU THICK MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>2242547

>it looks infected

You should have taken her to the vet awhile ago. You fucking retard.
>>
>>2242547
If it looks infected, it really needs to go to the vet. They will probably need to give you antibiotics and might need to drain puss and sew it back up. Paw lacerations are difficult because the dog has to walk, and is going to be walking in dirt, shit, piss, dust, all sorts of things you don't want in a cut. You'll have to be on top of cleaning it, probably a few times a day, to make sure it doesn't get infected again. Any injury involving the paws really suck.
>>
>>2242547
Don't let your dog lick the wound and take it to the vet!
>>
>dog stepped on something sharp
>not immediately taking it to the vet
Come on
>>
How do I get rid off of fleas?
>>
>>2243277

>flea treat pet
>wash all washable things in machine on hot
>flea powder and vacuum carpets daily
>>
My dog isn't violently aggressive but he's an asshole. He doesn't get into fights, has never bitten or lunged to bite, but he barks and snarls in dogs' faces when they're playing and they dare to touch a toy. Today he barked so loud in a mastiff puppy's face that the puppy fell down. The puppy was bigger than he was.

How do I curb this behavior? I know he's just a loud douchebag, but he sounds scary. I'm trying to socialize him as much as I can.
>>
>>2242547
So I live in a flat in my own, and thinking about getting a cat For company. But, as I sometimes work up to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (usually 8 hours six days a week) I'm concerned about it being bored and lonely. Would just one be okay, or should I get two so they have company for when I'm not there?
>>
What's my 1.5 YO dog trying to say? She usually never barks, but recently she starts to whine at the neighbor's dogs when they're barking in the yard. My doggo paces around the house and then goes to the covered patio where she can't see the neighbor dog, but whines continuously. Does she just want to play or something? I take her out for walks 2-3 times a day, let her back out in the yard a few times a day as well to pee and smell things, and take her to the dog park once every 2-3 weeks.
>>
>>2243341
your options are either adopt an adult cat that is low energy and likes being alone, or adopting two cats/kittens and hope they get along. or get a bonded pair!

I have two, it's p. rad.
>>
So my dog is generally really high energy. I take him for three walks a day, and play with him throughout the day. (Unemployed right now)

But sometimes when he gets really excited when we're playing he will bite at my hand, usually on accident. But if other people are playing with him, I don't want him to bite their hands too.

How do I make him a little more careful? He's about 11 months, and right now as soon as he bites, I pretty much just walk away.
>>
>>2243514

That's about all you can do.

Eventually, the dog will associate any biting - even accidental - as an immediate end to what he wants.
>>
>>2243514
Get him fixed?
>>
>>2243330

Is it dogs around the toys that set him off, or just other dogs in general?
>>
I have a 4 month year old German Sheppard border collie cross puppy, she's doing great with obedience and tricks. Maybe once a day she'll get in a 'biting mood' which is getting worse as she's getting older.

>puppy will suddenly start biting and running around, even if she was relaxing a second ago
>no long responds to redirection with a toy or rawhide
>will actually push the toy out of the way to bite my hand or arm
>if I walk away she bites my toes, pants, or ankles
>hide under a blanket and she'll go for my face
>sit out of reach and she'll jump, snap, and bark
>telling her no and yelping makes her bark and bite harder
>if I hold her down she will NOT stop struggling
>not deterred by holding her mouth shut or slapping her nose
>I hit her hard once when she bit my nose bad out of no where and she still continues
>draws blood or gives me bruises

I'm pretty sure she thinks it's a game and not actual aggression. At first I figured shed stop when she stopped teething but she's getting bigger and stronger and I'm not sure what to do. The vet said it's teething, Google says to "yelp louder" and other things I've already tried. Basically the only thing that will get her to stop is me going into another room or she tires herself out, but she's getting worse and doing this more often
>>
>>2243544
Also she's very well exercised and has a backyard for her to go in and out of.
>>
Why do the mockingbirds around my house divebomb my brother and not me?
>>
My dog won't play any games that will actually tire him out. Won't play flirt pole for more than 2 or 3 goes before he wants to just lie down in the grass. Won't play fetch. Won't really play tug.

What can I do?
>>
>>2243520
Dogs touching toys. When there are no toys he's great. When there are toys he gets in the other dogs' faces and snarls and growls and steals their toys.

If there are toys without dogs, he does t care. If people try to take his toys, he willingly gives them up.
>>
>>2242547
What are the pros and cons of Australian Cattle Dogs/Blue Heelers? Are they the same thing?
>>
>>2243601
They're the same thing.
>>
>>2243564
Sounds like resource guarding. It is typically with food, but some dogs can guard toys. Never dealt with it, but I am sure you can find something on google if you search "toy guarding dogs" or something.
>>
>>2243639
Do you have any experience with them?
>>
>>2243679
My cousin had one. They live for a long ass time and are generally healthy, but they have almost infinite energy levels. No matter what that dog had done that day he was always ready for more.

They also had a cattle dog collie mix that got hit by a car about three times and still lived a good five more years after already being old. They're quite hardy.

They are farm dogs. Don't get one if you're not prepared to give it long hours of farm work-tier exercise.
>>
>>2243671
Thing is, he only does it to strange dogs. If the dog is one he knows well, like an extended family member's dog, he doesn't snarl.

normally I'd let the other dogs sort it out since he isn't physically aggressive and I know he won't push it, but him barking so loud he knocked the puppy down reminded me it's a behavior that needs to be addressed. But it's not like I can ask strange dog owners to help me out with the conditioning he needs, and any available friend/family dogs don't elicit the same response from him
>>
HALP

my puppy ate a small-ish bone shes a 4m/o chow mix, should i be worried or will she pass it the bone was kinda hard
>>
>>2243714
Feed her a piece of bread with some Vaseline spread on it and keep an eye on her. Any changes in behavior or bowel movements and you take her to the vet immediately. A small, brittle bike can be deadly BUT it can also be small enough to be digested. At the slightest change you get her to the vet.
>>
>>2243714
Nothing you can do now but keep an eye on her and watch out for abnormal or lack of pooping. She might be okay she might not.
>>
>>2243717
Small brittle bone*
>>
>>2243717
>>2243718
is there a way i can make her throw it up without hurting her
>>
>>2243735
also shes been pooping fine, she did so at around 7:10 pm it is now 11:13 maybe it hasnt gone far enough
>>
>>2243735
It's too risky. It's more likely to tear up her esophagus. Feed her the bread and keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if anything changes.
>>
File: IMG_20161016_232824881.jpg (1005KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161016_232824881.jpg
1005KB, 1456x2592px
Is this a flea?
>>
>>2243754
Yep
>>
>>2243559
My dog always loves to play hide and seek. I get him in to lie down in a room and stay, then i'll go somewhere else and call him. He gets excited running from room to room searching for me and I'll give him a treat every few rounds.
>>
>>2243704
My grandpa had 2 and they helped him with his cows and hogs. Both were awesome animals, and I was just a kid while they were still alive, but neither of them ever tried bite at my feet or anything, and were even friendly towards the barn cats. My coworker has one and lives in an apartment, but it has behavior issues and has escaped before. I'd like one in the future but not until I have some land of my own. I enjoy jogging, is this a breed that can happily and physically keep up at a moderate pace? Thanks for your input, btw.
>>
>>2243780
Yeah, they can definitely keep up. Keep in mind though, they need mental stimulation too. They're dogs that like to have "jobs".
>>
>>2243782
Thank you, it'll be 5-8 years before I even consider one, I live in the city now while I finish a degree and don't want to subject a dog to suddenly becoming a lower priority than what it's used to if I start a family after getting it. It's good to know these things though, I have great memories of my grandpa with his dogs and think they're a great breed, just want to do it right if I ever have my own.
>>
>>2243545
>>2243544
Someone help me stop my dog from mauling me

She only does it to me even though I'm not doing anything different from my roommates
>>
>>2244023
You could get some apple bitter spray and when she gets in a biting mood spray some on your fingers or wherever else and let her take a bit. Then do the loud yelp and ignore her completely. That combined with the bad taste should make her stop.
>>
File: 20161018_210527.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_210527.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Can anyone tell me what this little red pimple on our dog is? parents are taking a wait and see approach.
>>
>>2244746
It could be a lot of things. If it isn't gone in a week, get on theie asses about taking him to the vet.
>>
>>2243712

Teach him a "look at me" command and proof it so that he learns to ignore both toys and other dogs when you say so. Reward any calm behavior heavily.
>>
>>2243760

Nigga that's a bed bug.
>>
>>2244758
Thanks. Will do.
>>
Is there any downside to getting a male cat fixed? My parents want to get my 7yo one to the vet, but I'm not really sure about doing it. We live in an apartment.
>>
>>2242547
Kek, how funny, almost each and every board has its QTDDTOT's.

I usually dont come here to /an/ but I had an important question.

How many ducks do exist on this planet?
>>
>>2245587
Pretty sure it's more than 5 but don't quote me on that; I could have miscounted
>>
>>2245617
well the universe is also not infinite, so its less than that. So the possible number of ducks on this planet is between 5 and a fuckton.
>>
almost all of these questions come down to

TAKE THEM TO THE VET
>>
File: 1406187448818.png (270KB, 613x533px) Image search: [Google]
1406187448818.png
270KB, 613x533px
How come every dog I've ever had gets this weird bald spot on their elbow
>>
Can dogs snarl playfully? Like with their teeth showing and everything? My dog will take her toys and purposely throw them in front of us and lay low with her butt sticking up and her tail wagging, obviously wanting to play, it looks like she's daring us to snatch her toy, then when you lean down to grab it she looks up at you and her lips start to curl with her teeth showing. Sometimes she'll let a growl or two out. She'll motion her head as if she's going to bite you every time you make a move for it, but she's never actually bitten anyone when they finally grab the toy, and after you steal it it's back to chasing and playing around, but I've never had a dog do that before.
>>
File: 2016-10-18 23.16.35.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-18 23.16.35.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I have a herb garden that I kept on my balcony and recently brought inside for the winter. These little bugs are killing my cilantro. What are they and how do I treat the plants?
>>
File: dog-training.jpg (30KB, 520x344px) Image search: [Google]
dog-training.jpg
30KB, 520x344px
>>2243544
>>if I hold her down she will NOT stop struggling
>>not deterred by holding her mouth shut or slapping her nose
>>I hit her hard once when she bit my nose bad out of no where and she still continues

>Basically the only thing that will get her to stop is me going into another room

sounds like you're abusing your dog. I love how dog-hitters always claim
>our nice little doggo started biting out of nowhere :((
you slap your dog and "hold her down". these are physical assaults to a dog. why do you physically assault your dog and then act surprised when it tries to defend itself?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhT_JS9LQic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihXq_WwiWM

only hack-idiots will be surprised that these dogs "suddenly" start biting
>>
>>2245797
What if you pee in its bowl? Wouldnt that mark the bowl as your territory?
>>
>>2245638
That weird bald spot on their elbow is a callous and is usually caused by spending long periods of time lying on hard surfaces.

Some dogs naturally just like to lie on tiles or hardwood because it's cooler, and callouses will happen.

If you haven't already, I would offer the dog a soft surface to lie on.

Neither of my dogs has elbow callouses, not even the old dog, but they spend most of their time lying down either on a raised trampoline bed or an orthopedic bed.
>>
>>2245641
Yeah, they can. The play bow is the invitation to play, and the indication that what follows is not meant seriously but as a play interation.

Dogs are great.

Listen to the sound of her growls. They should be different than when she growls for a serious reason.
>>
I have a sick 4 month old kitten. He's had diahrrea for a few days now- mucus but no blood. He also has been sneezing 1-2 times a day and wheezing slightly. His ears seem slightly red and less furry than usual. No symptoms besides that- he's not dehydrated or lethargic and has plenty of appetite. Any ideas what's going on? He's been dewormed recently and is indoor only. Could it be allergies? I recently got a new food that I didn't realize had rice in it which he's never been fed before. I'm really concerned but bringing him to the vet will be seriously hard on my wallet.
>>
>>2242547
Take the dog to a vet asap. My dog injured his foot and started licking it and one night chewed his foot off. Don't let this happen to your dog. I had a Queensland healer like the one in your photo.
>>
>>2246133
Is this bait?

Can dogs really chew their feet off in the night?

Because I was going to start my dog on Apoquel for allergies (he chews his feet until they're raw) but it's too expensive and it's easier for me to just treat with triple antibiotic ointment and vet wrap after he's licked himself raw (which he does every couple of weeks) than to treat for environmental allergies lasting 6 months of the year.

Should I be more concerned that he might chew one of his paws off?
>>
This is such a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas.

I have this cat. She's got some congenital issues, a large head, a crooked spine, etc. She's only 3 years old and is so happy except when she has these episodes. She essentially loses motor skills and can't walk on her own. She has head tremors and lacks awareness of one of her paws. She's always been a bit shaky and occasionally falls over but these episodes are severe, last 24 hours, and have been becoming alarmingly frequent since last year. Some other symptoms include glossed over eyes and inconsistent breathing. She has never lost control of her bladder though she occasionally pukes. She howls like she's in pain if I try to move her as well.

As far as treatment, I've seen 5 vets now. The first 3 insisted she was fine, one prescribed a low dose of phenobarbital but it had no effect, in fact it got worse, and my most recent vet has been doing a lot of blood work but with no positive results. I'm at a loss. I'm taking her to tackle 3 final blood tests tomorrow but they were the least likely of a long list of possible issues. Sorry for the long post.
>>
>>2246148
...sorry to be "that guy", but you should put this cat down. the poor thing will never be in good health and it's just going to go downhill with age.
>>
>>2246135
You're a horrible owner. I feel bad for your dog.
>>
>>2246148
That's all to be expected from genetic problems. Why are you seeing a vet? They can't fix her, the most they can do is hand you pain medications.

Honestly, you should euthanize her.
>>
I think my dog had high prey drive, but we haven't moved into our house yet so it's at my parents.

How do I make sure it doesn't kill my cat
>>
>>2246167
>>2246171
Euthanize a cat that is completely fine 29/30 days of the month? When I said alarmingly frequent I didn't mean daily or something. I meant once a month when just last year it was happening once every 6 months. I'm seeking help because I had a dog with similar issues, she had siezures several times a year but was a perfectly normal dog other than those few hours where she was recovering. Obviously if this was happening daily or even weekly I would reconsider but 12 days a year?
>>
>>2246170
I'm different from OP. Like, his feet never get swollen or infected. I treat them straight away and check his feet every morning for licking overnight then bandage appropriately.

And my dog is on about $8 medication daily already. That's $56 on meds alone per week. If I add Apoquel to the mix, it's another $30 weekly for his dose. I just can't afford nearly $90 in medication every week. I'm on disability and I've still got to feed him and my other dog and pay rent.

Like. I got him when I was younger and I wasn't reckoning on being on disability for life, and I also wasn't reckoning on him developing three chronic medical conditions that need ongoing treatment either.

Apoquel only came out in my country this year. It's really new. For all the years before now I've been treating his allergies by treating whatever he does to himself, or dosing him with prednisone if I see him licking before his feet get to the raw stage. But he usually does it in the night.

I'm doing the best I can with a trainwreck dog.

But my question still stands. Will a dog actually chew its own foot off?
>>
>>2246181
Keep them separate. Have rooms where only the dog will be allowed and rooms where only the cat will be allowed.

Supervised on-leash muzzled introduction may be allowed, but if the dog lunges for the cat, there should be no further interaction between the two animals.

Try to keep two doors between them if you can so there can be no mistakes.
>>
I fed my python a bratwurst why haven't you /an/?
>>
>>2246382
He'll try to chase squirrels but always on a leash...I think he might be curious because his tail is wagging and such. He's very well disciplined (we inherited him from my wife's aunt). He responds to being yelled at.

I was thinking about a shock collar because I let them meet before and he was just sniffing but he chased her when she ran.

There's shock collars they have a vibrate feature which Amazon reviews say dogs respond well to.

I don't want to give up the dog, but I won't give up the cat.
>>
Is it bad to give your dog instant ramen? I don't have dog food and I made myself some instant ramen but I'm already full and gave her the rest. Can she die?
>>
>>2246395
>being this dumb

It won't kill her but it's terrible for her. Go buy some dog food you lazy fuck.
>>
>>2246181
>adopting an animal when you aren't sure you can even have it

You suck.
>>
>>2246393
>>2246404

Read the other post retard, it was either try it with us or go to a shelter
>>
This is actually my first time to this board, but I have a problem with my chihuahua. All today she's been panting, shaking, not eating, and weirdly enough trying to climb anything she can to get to a higher point than she is on the floor. I don't understand what's going on with her.

Before you tell me to, no, I can't go to a vet, I can't afford to. Thank you for reading.
>>
>>2246591
Euthanize her. It seems she's begging for it.
>>
>>2246591
>can't go to a vet

Okay, so you can't take care of her either way. Why ask for advice?
>>
>>2246265
>congenital issues, a large head, a crooked spine, etc

these are issues your cat has to suffer through every single day.

>>2246381
you can get zyrtec and benadryl from the dollar tree. both are safe for dogs, just look up the dosage.
>>
>>2246615
This is going to sound real ignorant, but bear with me. I've never been to the United States in my life. What's a dollar tree?

And this dog is already on four different medications, five if you count the three-monthly steroid/pain shot, all of which have the potential to cause drug reactions when adding in new medicines. We had a hell of a time finding an antibiotic he could safely have when he had a skin infection around his nose at the beginning of last winter. The vet checked for Apoquel interactions, and there are none, but I don't know about zyrtec or benadryl.

I don't want to give him something, and have it cause one of his other meds to stop working, or give him something and it cause irreparable damage to his liver or kidneys.
>>
>>2246639
Dollar Tree is an American chain of stores where everything for sale costs only a dollar.
>>
>>2246642
Well, given that I'm not about to jump on a 9,000 mile flight just to go to one, I'll give it a miss.
>>
>>2246592
You anons are so pro euthanasia. Dog is sick? Kill it. Cat is sick? Kill it. Don't seek help. Just kill it!
>>
I want a corgi
>>
>>2246646
You can find these meds generic from many stores. They're approved for OTC. Diphenhydramine and ceterizine.

It sounded like you wanted to stop giving him the other meds, that's why I suggested alternatives that aren't from the vet. The interwebs makes it very easy to check for interactions. You can talk to your vet about it as well.

What were you trying to ask, if not alternatives? If it's okay to let your dog suffer constantly?
>>
>>2246685
No. If he'll actually chew his foot off.
>>
>>2246695
not every dog with allergies is going to chew their foot off. if you're not treating his allergies, then he's going to be suffering constantly and obsessing over his foot. it's pretty unlikely he'll actually chew it off, but not impossible.
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 300x225px
Picking up my new dog on Sunday and I'm incredibly excited. I've raised puppies before but this will be the first in a long time. This is also the first time the dog will be legally "mine" as opposed to my family/parents. I'm heading to Pets at Home tomorrow to get some things for her (bed, toys etc) - do you guys have any recommendations? She's 8 weeks old.

Also, where do you guys have your dogs sleep at night? My grandfather has a huge crate he said he'd dig out for me and I was thinking of keeping her with me in my room but our old dogs (last one died a while back, I think he would have loved the new addition) all slept downstairs in the utility room. I just can't wait to have a friend at home to keep me company, I can't wait to train her and have something to get out of bed in the morning for again.

It's a 2 hour drive there and back to pick her up, any advice for making the car ride as much of a comfortable experience for her as I can?
>>
>>2247432
labradoodle?
>>
>>2247435
Yes indeed!
>>
I adopted a rescue dog two weeks ago, she sort of concerns me because she will lay on my bed and just growl. This behavior started only a few days ago. It's a low pitched long growl, her ears don't go back and just doesn't show teeth but she will slam her tail in to the bed. It seems like she's growling at nothing, she just stares in whatever direction. This is the only time she growls other than normal stuff like someone knocking on the door. Why would a dog jump on a bed, lay on their side, and just growl? Her vet exams determined she was in good health and she seems like a totally normal dog the rest of the day.
>>
>>2247432

Be ready to stop every, I'd say 30 or so. Puppy's gonna vomit too, I figure. Best to not have it shit/piss in the car if you can help it.
>>
I recently acquired a Savannah Monitor on Craigslist and was having a chat with the owner when I arrived. The monitor is about 14" long but the owner claimed to have raised it from a baby over the past two years. There aren't many signs of health issues but the monitor just seems very small for it's age, and possibly underfed. I was wondering if the growth period for a monitor is on a specific timeline, as in there not being a chance for it to reach their average size since it is already relatively old? Or would I be able to do something along the lines of power feeding to get the guy up to speed and hopefully have a large and healthy monitor in future years?
>>
>>2242547
oH GEE, I DON'T KNOW MAYBE TAKE HER TO THE FUCKING FVET!!!!
>>
>>2242547

My neighbor trained his parrot to call me stupid. He thinks it's a great laugh. How do I sneak my cat over to eat his stupid bird?
>>
Whats the best home defence/hiking doggo?
Limit for a pupper is 2k.
>>
Adopted a Shiba doggo a week ago whose original owner ditched him after a several years. Everything's been going great on my end, but oddly enough I'm not seeing any signs of depression or missing the old owner, which I was expecting to have to deal with. The dog's just been super excited and happy every day, which feels even weirder to me given how many people were telling how loyal shibas were.

Should I be expecting some delayed time bomb depression in a week or two, or does this just mean the original owner was amazingly shitty?
>>
>>2247631
GSD or Rottweiler, great dogs when trained well. Most dogs with maybe the exclusion of some toy breeds/lapdogs who prefer to chill at home/may overheat easily will be absolutely fantastic company on your hikes.

Depends, "real" defence dogs are trained by professionals generally, you don't want aggression in a pet, especially when it can be misdirected at you if you don't know what you're doing. Most of the time an intimidating bark/appearance is more than enough to deter intruders.

My granddad's Rottweiler was a sweetheart but people would cross the road when you were walking on the same part of the sidewalk/path as them.

Even my Lab had the same effect, he was huge and people thought he was mixed. I imagine he looked pretty intimidating at night, but he was a big goober.

Best of luck!
>>
>>2247633
Did you get him from a shelter or from the original owner? Either way, it's likely he's just incredibly happy to be with someone good that he knows will take care of him.
>>
My 4 month old puppy was diagnosed with parvovirus even though I had all his vaccinations done, I can't understand it... The only thing I could afford was the outpatient care since the inpatient would have ran me potentially 4-6k and I don't have anywhere near that cash(outpatient meds alone cost over a grand)

What are his chances? I'm giving him pedialyte every hour and so far his anti-nausea meds are working(he hasn't vomited), I'm feeling so depressed right now...
>>
>>2247584
Depending on how big your cat is or how big the bird is, it could actually be a good fight
>>
we have two 11 yr old cats, male and female, both neutered/spayed before they were a year old.

why does the tom try to hump the queen and why does she submit?
>>
>>2247851
Regardless of them being spayed/neutered! It still feels good/pleasurable to them, really. Nothing to worry about unless it's disruptive. I've read that it can be a sign of anxiety in cats but it tends to be the former.
>>
>>2247865
>>
>>2243344
Is she spayed? She could be in heat.
>>
>>2247867
yes spayed.
>>
>>2247851
It's just a dominance thing. Plus, humping is fun!

Don't worry about out unless they seem anxious or if the queen is getting hurt.
>>
File: pug.jpg (6KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
pug.jpg
6KB, 303x166px
Are pugs fine with staying in a house for most of the time? I can probably take him for walks once in a while, but I'm a real homebody and want a dog suitable for that.

General dog tips for a nondog owner please.
>>
>>2247948
Dogs need socialization. You need to walk them a few times a day just like any other dog. Maybe get a cat? I want a dog but I sometimes get agoraphobia so I got a cat instead.
>>
>>2247948
Yeah, they're couch potatoes. They like to chill at home, but like every dog they can do with some daily exercise, pugs are pretty low energy though and are generally content with a walk around the block and you playing with them around the house. They're lapdogs, and they're really sensitive to extreme heat and humidity so they like being indoors just fine, and should generally be kept inside if it's too hot outside.
>>
>>2247952
I have severe agoraphobia alongside a few other things. My dog's the only thing that gets me out of the house, and even then it's only really ever at night or early morning when there's no one around.
>>
File: 1450425071889.jpg (56KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1450425071889.jpg
56KB, 500x500px
>>2247952
I'd be there to socialize with it, I'm at home a lot. Not a fan of cats, I hear they can be antisocial.

>>2247956
That is good to hear. I've been looking on CL for a PUG and they're around $400 for weeks old puppies with vaccinations. What's a rough estimate for everything else I'd need (neutering, other health stuff?) so I can start saving up?
>>
I need to upgrade from a collar to a harness for my dog but i'm not sure what to look for exactly, I tried a harness when he was younger but as he was a puppy he was still growing fast that the harness made his fur go away around the shoulders so I left it.
>>
File: ac0dd668f1784cfc00ae4ed302873404.jpg (181KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ac0dd668f1784cfc00ae4ed302873404.jpg
181KB, 1920x1080px
>>2247963
It's cheaper to neuter a male than it is to spay a female generally, because spaying is more of an invasive surgery with more risks involved. The cost of neutering varies from vet to vet, if all goes well it'll be $200 give or take. If you're struggling with money you can contact your local humane society in the US and I believe they can perform low cost/discounted neutering and spaying depending on your area. I live in Northern Ireland so I can only speak from experience.

With equipment/bed/toys etc I'd say you should save maybe 80-100 dollars give or take, there are always things you can do without or things you'd prefer to have on top of that but I'd reckon this is a good estimate.

Work out how much food you can afford per month, this is pretty easy to budget out and it's nice to explore your options here depending on what works for you, often my dog would get suitable leftovers (ie I'd cook her extra meat or vegetables from my own groceries and mix that in with her dry food.) There are a lot of affordable options. Pugs won't eat nearly as much as larger dogs.

I'm a student and I've always found dogs to be pretty affordable pets when you can work them into your budget.

As for vet bills, for example if your dog gets into a bad accident and needs surgery I just put away money when I can afford to do so as a reserve for if something like that were to happen. I'm not rich in the slightest but doing this is incredibly helpful. Get a good vet that gives a shit. Not all of them are crooks, and you can ask them if in the event of something bad happening if you could work out a payment plan rather than an upfront payment.

Good luck bro!
>>
>>2247732
Parvo isn't necessarily a death sentence as it used to be. My parents had two puppies get parvo and we ended up just constantly watching them to keep them hydrated and they ended up recovering just fine. It is pretty scary though
>>
>>2247979
thanks pugbro
>>
>>2247981
thanks anon, it's just so upsetting seeing him like this, he usually have such a personality

I keep offering him food every 2 hours and so far he rejects it, is getting one of those calorie gels you put on their gums ok/worth it if I can't get him to eat soon? It's already been a few days since he last ate
>>
>>2247987
this: http://tomlyn.com/products/dog/vitamins-high-calorie-supplements/high-calorie-nutritional-gel-nutri-cal%C2%AE-dogs
>>
>>2247987
Those are definitely worth it. You can also give honey corn syrup or fake maple syrup.
>>
>>2247987
Yeah by keeping them hydrated I mean we would sometimes open their mouths and spray liquid inside because they often wouldn't drink themselves. We had a couple of those syringes that you get after getting your wisdom teeth removed to collect water and spray it in the corners of their mouth gently. Those gels are a good idea too
>>
>>2247963
>I've been looking on CL for a PUG
Please please please please do not purchase a dog from CL, especially a dog racked with genetic conditions like a pug. Either find a pug rescue in your area, or research a high quality pug breeder. Getting your dog from a breeder might cost upwards to 3 to 4 times what you'll find on CL, but you are going to be just getting such a healthier dog that you'll save in the long run.
>>
>>2248001
>>2248011
thanks anons, I'm doing baby syringes with pedialyte now and I'm going to run up to petco to grab some of those gels

he's up walking around now, is this a good sign or too soon? I'm not gonna let him walk too much but I've read parvo makes their muscles so weak they can't even stand
>>
>>2248018
Makes sense, I'll research some pug sellers.
>>
Is it possible for small dogs to die from too much food? My pug somehow managed to open a door and ate over 1kg of dry dog food. His stomach is like a baloon now and I'm very worried. However, it doesn't seem that he is in pain or so.
>>
File: 1468070253121.jpg (55KB, 680x651px) Image search: [Google]
1468070253121.jpg
55KB, 680x651px
Is all the cat hate on this board just one or two people trolling, or are there really that many people who just can't stand cats?
I understand /an/'s disdain for outdoor cats, I'm not talking about that. It just seems to me that anytime a cat is mentioned it's followed by a shitposting extravaganza about how much cats suck in general.
>inb4 you have toxoplasmosis hurr durr
I don't believe anybody should let their cat roam free, it's lazy and irresponsible. I wouldn't own a cat because I don't want to fish turds out of a box of sand that stinks up my house, and I would rather have a pet I can train and interact with instead of an ungrateful shit head that won't even come when called.
All that being said I have no problems with a responsible owners cat, and I wouldn't go on an animal and nature website just to bitch about them everytime they get mentioned.
So help me understand, is it just trolls, or are cats more universally hated than I thought?
>>
>>2248102
I don't hate cats but the one cat owner I do know has given me a bad opinion of cat owners. Her family allows the cats all over the furniture, including the kitchen counter where they prepare food. It's absolutely disgusting. I know not all cat owners are like this but it's what I think about when I imagine cat owners.
>>
>>2248102
I love cats but I hate people that don't fix them and leave them outdoors
>>
File: 42.jpg (992KB, 1440x1908px) Image search: [Google]
42.jpg
992KB, 1440x1908px
My new cat got his head stuck in the tiniest crack between my washing machine that I didn't know existed.

I was changing his litter when all the sudden I hear him shrieking and see his head stuck.

I ran to him and twisted him around, and he got free. Couldn't have been more than 3 seconds.

He's not bleeding, although he looks likes he's pissed as fuck at me.

Right now I have all the cracks and corners blocked off with aluminum foil.

2 things: is there anything else I can do to cat proof my apartment?

Also, when will my cat stop being pissed? I mean all I did was save his fucking life and he chimped out at me
>>
>>2248151
he's probably just freaked out and it has nothing to do with you, give him a little time and he'll forget it
>>
>>2248151
He was in flight mode and they don't have the mental capacity to process that you saved his life. Give hin space and try to give him treats.
>>
>>2248157
Now I've got it stuck in my head that I'm gonna come home from shopping or class one day and see him stuck somewhere dead. I'm tweaking the fuck out.

Any other things I can do to cat proof my apartment? I'm also afraid of him chewing on my pc cables
>>
>>2248158
Yeah slashed my hands up real good when his head was stuck. 3 bandaids. I'm not even mad I'm just really worried he's gonna get into some shit while I'm away and I can do anything to help him.

Any more tips on how I can cat proof my place? I'm even getting worried hew gonna get his paw/head stuck in the furnace.

Fuck I'm tweaking
>>
>>2248159
spray whatever you don't want him getting into with vinegar
>>
>>2248159
I lock new cats up for the first few days. Young kittens a week. Kittens get locked up at night and when nobody's home.

He'll be a little more cautious about exploring now that he's gotten stuck. It's pretty unlikely he'll get trapped in your house. I put a bell on my cats though so i can find them, they also call if they're stuck. Just be sure you know where they are before you do something like sit in a rocking chair or closing the dishwasher. I just call them until they either come or I hear them jingling.
>>
>>2248164
By locked up, I mean I shut them into a bedroom with their box and food.
>>
File: 1409074549029.jpg (91KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1409074549029.jpg
91KB, 600x800px
>have a really old dog
>this year it's really starting to show how much her health is deteriorating
>hind legs extremely weak, can't jump up stairs and struggles walking
>terrible hearing, sometimes she'll look in the completely wrong direction when I call her
>very lethargic

The suddenly she's running around like she's in her prime youth a month ago, but she keeps biting her ass and her paws like she has a rash. What the hell is going on here?
>>
File: IMG_20161022_190340593_HDR.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161022_190340593_HDR.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>2248164
>>2248163
Alright guys thanks for reassuring me. Hopefully this is all a big fluke and he's fine in the future. We were playing for a whole before he got his shit stuck, and the whole encounter seems to have made him tired as fuck he's sleeping right now.

>>2248166
Yup I know what you mean, I've done a lot of research before I got him. The problem is that I live in a studio apartment, so the living room is all we got. Should I turn my bathroom into an acclimation room? I mean he's sleeping real nicely right now.
>>
>>2248171
Vet. The ass biting is probably full anal glands: nothing bad at all. Paws, no clue.
>>
>>2248180
The bathroom will work, but that does kind of suck for him. If it doesn't seem like there's too many spaces he can get in trouble with I'd leave him out. You can start clicker training him too, mine come when I snap my fingers.
>>
>>2247948

Don't feed the beast of intentionally shitty breeding.

Just adopt an older dog. You'll spend less on vet bills.
>>
File: IMG_20161022_202727408_HDR.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161022_202727408_HDR.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
>>2248197
>>2248164
>>2248163
Well guys, I think he's cool now.

He's sitting on my chest purring right now.

Hopefully he stays away from these danger areas until he understands. I'll be putting him into the bathroom when I'm out
>>
File: IMG-20161022-WA0003.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161022-WA0003.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
May i beg for your help identifying wich kind of bird is this? Mom pick it up from the yard because it couldn't fly and we don't know what to feed it
>>
>>2248289
Bird seed, meal worms, crickets
>>
>>2248036
day 2 with the parvo puppy, haven't slept yet, staying strong with his meds and pedialyte, he also licked off that gel and it seemed to help him regain some energy as he was very alert, wagging his tail and loving up to me, he hasn't thrown up in 16 hours now

he's not going to the bathroom much, which is good in that he's not having diarrhea but also worries me at the same time
>>
My new kitty is coming home in around three weeks time. I live in a rather large flat and he will be an indoor cat.

What can I do to make sure his move is as stress free as possible?

I've arranged to work from home so I can be with him for his first week, I've made plenty of homemade tunnels and boxes for him to play in, bought some fun toys and puzzles for him to be distracted by and got him a bed almost identical to his current one and will be stocking up on the food he's used to. Luckily, he'll be coming with a blanket as well which will have his smell on it and hopefully make it easier.

I know kitties usually take a few weeks to settle into a new home and prefer to hide away until they get used to their surroundings but I just want to help him stay calm and comfortable when he first arrives.

I'll keep him in one room the begin with, with his litter box and bed, then slowly introduce him to the rest of the apartment.

Have I missed anything?
>>
>>2248289
scissor tailed flycatcher?
insects is what it eats regardless
>>
File: IMG_20161023_142204299_HDR.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161023_142204299_HDR.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>2248751
I'm this guy:

>>2248243
I have the opposite problem. My apartment is a tiny studio (no bedroom).

Typically, people say to have a separate bedroom set aside as a safe room.

But since I don't have any rooms at all, my new little kitten just had to deal with it.

To his credit, he's very adventurous and brave. He jumped out of his carrier the second I opened it and went to explore.

Besides some initial mishaps, he's pretty calm and chill now. It's not even been 24 hours since he stepped foot in my house but I think he knows the rules. He didn't bother me when I was cooking my lunch, and has stopped trying to put his head behind large objects.

Still, I keep him in the bathroom (with all his needed stuff) when I went shopping. He meowed a lot but was fine.

My point is that I think it depends on what kind of kitty you got. If he's brave as fuck he'll be ok roaming a small apartment while supervised. But if he's a pussy, then he might not even leave his carrier for a few days out of fear. Your safe room might mean nothing to him if he's confident and ready to explore right off the bat.

Pic related. I've known him for 22 hours and already he likes sitting on my lap/laying on my face and purring.
>>
>>2248874
>>2248751

lol, he doesn't know the rules. just wait a few months, he'll be a complete terror. by 8 months his personality will be completely different.

>>2248751

most kittens are very confident at a few months old. they're usually happy to explore within a few hours. it's easier to acclimate them when there's not a huge home to explore and kids and dogs.

an older cat from a shelter or from the streets is a lot harder to acclimate... they can hide for weeks on end before they're comfortable. most kittens aren't scared of anything though.
>>
>>2248874

That is too cute. You're making me ridiculously excited about getting my own!

Mine is a cross between a Bengal and a Ragdoll, so will no doubt be a complete shit. I've been lucky enough to spend time with him so far and he's extremely brave, so I think he's more likely to start exploring than stay in his carrier.

He looks ridiculously comfy with you though - I hope my kitties arrival goes as smoothly!
>>
>>2248480
good luck anon.

also, you didn't say when he was vaccinated compared to when he caught parvo. the vaccines aren't immediately effective; it can take a few days to a few weeks for full protection.

regardless, keep up the good work with the calorie gel and keeping him hydrated. 16 hours without vomiting is really good. if you find he starts resisting the syringe, give him some chicken broth frozen in an ice cube tray. not as great as pedialyte, but does provide some electrolytes at least.

I dealt with an underweight dog who simultaneously had giardia, coccidia, fleas, and tapeworms. not as bad as parvo, I'm sure, but I do have some tricks up my sleeve.

when he's up to eating solids again without vomiting, feed him chicken and rice. boil the chicken to remove the fat, and overcook the rice a little. start out with just a little bit at a time since large quantities will likely just upset his stomach again. I'm talking half a handful at a time and waiting. keep it up with the pedialyte and calorie gel too.
>>
>>2248904
by the way, I'm sure this goes without saying, but make sure to shred the chicken and mix it with the rice.

I assume his anti-vomiting meds are cerenia? if you run out and he's still vomiting, (and he's not on any antibiotics) you can give him a small amount of pepto bismol. about a teaspoon per ten pounds of his bodyweight to be safe. be sparing with it.
>>
what breed is this?
>>
>>2248920

I think it's a dog mate.
>>
There's a wasp nest on the outside of my garage, how do I get rid of it? If nothing works I will just have to burn my garage down

Right now it's about the size of a fist
>>
>>2248904
>>2248912
thanks anon, funny thing is right after I saw this post he started wanting to eat chicken and rice already, I only gave him a very little bit in addition to his probiotic that I got from the vet, but he's already wanting to eat and drink and is showing plenty of personality again(running away from me when he snagged one of his bones) and trying to climb the stairs to get to one of my roommates cats

I'm feeling very good with his chances now, his gums are very pink and his skin shows signs also of being well hydrated and his lethargy is going way down

Thanks for all the help
>>
how do i know im adopting a kitten thatll wanna lay in my lap
>>
>>2248912
>>2248912
oh forgot to mention, he was vaccinated at 8, 9 and 12 weeks, he is 16 weeks old now, but I hear yearly vaccines for parvo are necessary? and yeah the anti-vomiting meds are cerenia and he still hasn't vomited
>>
>>2248984
Spray it with water, wasps become immobile once water(or as we scientists call it, h2o) touches their wasp skin. A simple spray of water and they will die within minutes
>>
>>2249034
>kitten

It won't. Cats hate people.
>>
>>2249045
have you ever seen a cat?
>>
>>2249035
>yearly vaccines for parvo

yes. though most vets are just giving out the DA2PPC vaccine now. also rabies. make sure you stay up to date on your dog's yearly vaccines.
>>
>>2249117
cool, I'm going to get his rabies shot at 6 months

this puppy seems to have done a 180, he's bouncing around, chewing, constant tail wagging, whining for food, I know I'm not out of the woods yet but I still feel really happy with his insanely fast progression
>>
I'm thinking about getting a new cat (kitten), and was wondering if one of those self cleaning self flushing newfangled cat toilet things worth it? I hear that trying to train your cat to use a human toilet is a bad idea, so I won't do that.
>>
>>2249203
I have never used one, but from what I have read, they are like everything with cats: some like them, others just want a normal old box.
>>
>>2249206
So in the end it's just a risk I need to be willing to take?
>>
>>2249206
On this subject, does anyone know what the best toilet is? Is it just CatGenie or whatever?
>>
>>2249218
Your neighbours garden.
>>
Question for people whose job is dog walkers: are you supposed to let the dog pee everywhere? And if he poops, should you clean it? And if it gets into a fight with another dog, how to proceed?
>>
>>2249202
day 3 and with his appetite returning and his energy boundless it seems the vet confirmed my puppy has survived parvo! I was expecting this to much uglier, but I'm still going to stay on top of it until his meds are out

how active should I let him be afterwards? understandably I won't be giving him any long walks or anything for a while
>>
>>2249478
also, I want him to sleep more for a few more days before I let him move around, I read melatonin is safe for dogs, but would any brand work and would there be potential sides combined with the other medication for parvo? anti-nausea, pain meds, antibiotic,
>>
>>2248984

Wait until nighttime, take a hose with a lot of water pressure and spray the shit out of it. Once all the wasps are grounded, stomp 'em and blast the next down to stomp that too.

Or buy some wasp killer for $6.
>>
My pup (5 months) isn't very vocal and doesn't wag his tail unless he's meeting new dogs or people (or we leave and come back). He's very playful and gets plenty of exercise and daily training, and he doesn't seem tense or stressed. Is he just quiet, or should I be worried? He has a check-up next Tuesday.
>>
>>2250592
He's just quiet, my puppy is about the same age and acts the same unless I leave the room and come back, and he NEVER barks

Our puppies will likely get more vocal when they grow up
>>
>>2250592
>>2250594
Btw, what's his breed? My puppy is a mastiff
>>
>>2250596

Some kind of bully mix. Some white-trash asshole dumped him, and we've had him for three months now. He's a great dog, just very quiet.
>>
>>2250605
Well, it's nothing to worry about, a dog being sick is really obvious
>>
>>2250606

Alrighty. I didn't know if this was a common thing or it meant his old owners were the type to smack a dog around for showing any kind of excitement.
>>
>>2250610
usually if a dog is abused it will just be fearful and anxious, you said your dog is playful so I wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>2250613

Thanks, anon.
>>
how often should we feed a dog? I feed mine twice a day, but I know people who only feed their dog once a day.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-25-17-36-56.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-25-17-36-56.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
So I've been hanging off the side of a building in Nashville TN and I keep seeing these little guys. This pic was taken on the 15th floor. Anybody know WTF they are?
>>
I have a Labrador/Poodle mix and she's 8 weeks old. I'm home full time 5 days a week bar the 2 days I have class (I tend to be away only for a few hours) so I'll be spending most of my time with her.

I've had puppies before. It it's been a long time and I've had to relearn a lot of things. She's a smart girl and picks up on things quicker than any dog I've had and at such a young age. Cheeky little thing, too.

Is there a way I can make her day a little more enriching? Or some things that could keep her occupied/stimulated while I'm working/studying? She has a lot of toys and I'm playing with her almost constantly both inside and outside in the front yard, as well as spending a lot of time training her.

With my other past dogs In this case I would take them for a nice long walk multiple times a day, or they they'd be content to snuggle at my feet or I'd throw things for them to fetch in the nearby fields or we would go exploring together but she's unable to go far without her vaccines, and she's some time off from being leash trained.

I love her to pieces, and love spending all my time with her, and I'm sure she will be my absolute best friend. I'm just worried I'm not doing enough or that she'll get bored. Right now she just wants to chew everything, as puppies generally do. And she sleeps a lot, I use that time to get my work done and then play with her until she gets tired out again.

I heard that chicken broth Popsicles are good, any experience with making them? I'm very, very conscious of her safety as my last dog and best friend died indirectly due to an obstruction that I knew nothing about, it still hurts to think about and I'm utterly heartbroken. I still cry when he comes into my thoughts every night, but this new pup is helping a lot. I've been watching her like a hawk.

Any advice for forming a good bond with her?
>>
How bad is cigarette smoke for dogs? I don't smoke or have a dog but have a friend who lives where cigarettes are being smoked indoors pretty much 18/7, in a small house, and it just seems like a bad setup for their new puppy.
>>
>>2251036

It sounds like you're doing great so far, anon. As for more enrichment, have you thought about getting her a puzzle toy for feeding times, like a wobbler? Or getting her some stuffable toys so she can "hunt" her food?
>>
>>2251036
How about getting her a Kong? They make ones with softer rubber specifically for puppies. It will be enriching plus give her something to chew.
>>
Girl dog - toy poodle/terrier mix about 8 years old growls at me a lot when I approach bed GF is on. Sometimes chairs and stuff too, but most often bed. She didn't used to have this behavior until about a year ago. Always been a super friendly pup.

Anyways what can I do to prevent her from doing this every single fucking time?

Right now when I approach the bed I tell her to 'get down' then 'go to bed' (her kennel command). She'll growl at the get down part, but then happily gets in the kennel. If I try and approach the bed she just growls like a demon is in her. If I ignore her and lay down then she stops. I tell her no very firmly and bop her on the nose usually.

Seems to me it's mostly she'll growl when my gf is on the bed. But has also done it for my mom on the couch, and for me when the other dog approaches.
>>
>>2250921
Twice a day I find is the best, so long as the portions are correct.
>>
Should I get a 'do not pet' or 'in training' vest or patch for my dog so people don't reward him with attention for jumping and pulling? He's only five months old, but I want to fix his leash problems before it's too late. We're working on his "look at me" which is helping, but it's still tough when people laugh me off when I ask them not to pet him when he jumps.
>>
>>2251744
just always keep him on a leash around others, step on it and then when he stops jumping have them greet them, it worked for me
>>
>>2251744
I would normally say no, but people are retards and when you politely tell them they still end up laughing you off. So if you think the vest or patch would help, do it. They also have leashes that say do not pet.
>>
What do I do about my dog being a loud fuck when he plays with other dogs?

He was often bullied at the dog park when he was young, so I know how it feels when you've got a puppy and some fast, loud dog starts coming up to your puppy and snarling while it plays with them.

He doesn't bite, he doesn't knock other dogs down, he doesn't pin them, he just runs in circles around then and SOUNDS vicious and I hate being the dumbass who wheedles, "He's friendly, he's just loud" when someone is clearly getting anxious about their puppy.

He does it with adult dogs too, but usually adult dog owners understand. He kind of...roars when he plays with the dogs.
>>
>>2251749

See, I was thinking a leash might work since I don't want him being mistaken for a service dog.

I might just get him a patch that warns of bites, but only as a last resort. He's never bitten anyone though, he just gets really excited when he meets new people and won't keep his paws on the ground.
>>
What would happen if cubs/puppies drank human milk (sucking straight outta a woman's breast)? Would it be healthy or bad for them?
>>
Do short muzzled cats suffer from health issues like short muzzled dogs?
>>
It's illegal to kill cats? In NY there was a woman who apparently had a bunch of skinned cats in her fridge and Animal Services was called on her. How exactly is that against the law? I thought it was only illegal if you tortured or mistreated them before killing them, not just killing them. Maybe she was making illegal furs or something.
>>
My Ragdoll cat was rescued from a breeder who had too many cats and subsequently had her first litter when she was about eight months old. She had seven kittens in total and was a good mother. She's very friendly towards other cats.

If I were to get a kitten at some point in the future, is it likely she will look after it?
Would it be possible for her to look after an orphaned kitten?
>>
>>2251810
are....you thinking about breast feeding your fucking dog?
>>
>>2251816
Yes but not as severe. They snuffle and you need to clean their faces.
Cats don't pant to cool down, so it's less of an issue for them, their teeth can sometimes be an issue.
>>
>>2252026
No, just curious
>>
>>2252051
a) human milk would not have the right amount of fat and protien. it also wouldn't contain the right stuff to keep them from getting sick.
b) puppies don't have lips to grasp the nipple. they basically just bite on the teat and suck. dogs/cats have much thicker skin than we do... so it would hurt, a lot.
>>
Ah, fuck you guys. My dog is now taking 16mg of Apoquel a day and I'm out $30 a week that could be spent on better food and hygiene products.

At least he won't be suffering, but I've got to watch out for loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. The side effects I really have to worry about though are the serious infections and cancer, but they only happen in like 4% of dogs taking Apoquel long-term so what the heck. No more chewing his feet to shreds.
>>
>>2251067
>>2251075
Thanks guys! I checked these out and I picked her up some stuffable Kong toys- they should be delivered today, I think she'll love them!
>>
How do I get my faggot puppy to stop cheating with his kong? He won't chew it at all and just licks all the food out and it barely keeps him busy for a few minutes before he just sits there and gives me this faggot look
>>
I'll be getting a Labrador as my first dog. Any advice? I hear they're great family dogs and very smart and loyal; however require a lot of daily exercise (which I'm prepared to provide). Any advice as to how to pick one out, or anything else I should expect?
>>
>>2252461
I've had labs and lab mixes (current puppy is a lab/poodle) and they're absolutely phenomenal dogs anon. You can expect to have the best friend you could ask for. One thing to take into account is labs are very mouthy as pups- this is very normal for them, just research and learn how to teach them bite inhibition as a pup if you can and it should be no trouble at all. They pick things up very quickly and will meet you half way when it comes to training, just be patient with them.

For picking out an individual, you'll want to meet the pups with their siblings and mother together to get a feel for each individual and how they respond to you and their litter mates. Best of luck, and have fun!
>>
>>2252473
Awesome, anon. Cheers!!
>>
>>2252422
>implying your puppy is the faggot because his lazy owner won't stuff his kong proper

frozen layers, man
>>
>>2252276
so is he going to be taking apoquel long term? did you find out what he was allergic to? it's probably something you could easily eliminate from his diet.
>>
How come everyone's dog is a barking aggressive mean piece of shit? Every time I'm walking my puppy these dogs bark like they want to kill him, and today some idiot left his german shepherd off leash and it bit my puppy on the foot before his dumbass owner came and got it

My puppy is a pit bull mix, the last thing I need is asshole dogs barking and biting him at this age when socializing is crucial
>>
>>2252603
Yeah. I'd already spoken to the vet about other alternatives to Apoquel, and there was nothing he could safely take for 9 months straight.

It's grass. He's allergic to grass.

Freshly mown grass in high summer and autumn and grass pollen in spring are the worst for him. Winter isn't too bad because the grass is mostly dormant and no one's mowing it all the time, so he isn't coming into contact with the worst of it.

He's on a really strict diet already because his fucking pancreas doesn't work. This dog has absolutely no cereals in his diet whatsoever, a fibre of 4% or less, and a fat content between 10% and 20%. There are only so many foods that fit that criteria in my country, so I'm really limited in what I can feed him already. If I suddenly decide to cut chicken or beef or fish from his diet on the offchance it'll make him less itchy, then he'll have about one flavour of food from one brand to eat, and he's the fussiest dog you ever met who gets tired of food within 3 or 4 meals.
>>
>>2245783
This is basically a dog thread. You should ask in the plant general
>>
Could /an/ help me evaluate a breeder's website? I'm interested in opinions.
>>
>>2252616
Because most people don't train their dogs.
>>
>>2251753
I don't think there's much you can do. Some dogs are just vocal when they play. If your dog isn't showing any signs of aggression the other owners' shouldn't be feeling anxious anyway
>>
File: lasseragnar.jpg (692KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
lasseragnar.jpg
692KB, 1000x667px
So, my mom's Japanese Spitz has what is most likely a torn ACL. She took him to the vet today, and she said it's almost definitely torn, but he has to go back on Monday to be sedated and x-rayed. The vet said that if it's torn he will have to be put down, as at 11 years old, and with some fat lumps and stuff, surgery wasn't a viable option.

Reading a bit online seems to suggest doggos can live fine with torn ACLs if they're rehabilitated well. (Lots of rest, tiny walks a few times a day)

Is it worth it to get a second opinion? Does the vet hate dogs or does she know best and it's pointless to try anything else?
The thought of him being put down is breaking my heart, he's the best fucking dog ever.

Pic related, it's him only a month ago.
>>
File: tayswizz.jpg (49KB, 630x474px) Image search: [Google]
tayswizz.jpg
49KB, 630x474px
My puppy is not yet neutered because he's still growing and don't get me started on early neutering before a dog is done growing. Anyway, he's in that phase where he likes to hump stuff. It's a normal natural thing so unless he starts going crazy we just let him do it.
Well today he started humping the other dog and got paraphimosis, where his penis couldn't retract. We left him alone for a little while to let him calm down and go soft and eventually it did, but the foreskin had rolled in on itself so his penis wouldn't retract completely. It took him getting another boner to cause his foreskin to unroll and then that boner to go down for him to finally go back to normal.

What can be done to prevent this from happening again?
>>
So since yesterday evening my dogs stomach has had periods where it will gurgle loudly and she will whine. It lasts for a little bit then calm down. She ate half her breakfast but hasn't really shown interest in eating, though she will happily take treats when her stomach is settled. I'm guessing it's just mild stomach upset but at what point should I consider phoning a vet? From what I've seen she hasn't attempted to vomit nor have I witnessed diarrhoea, though she hasn't shown much interest in going out either since yesterday morning.
>>
>>2254555
Hey man, just keep an eye on her. My dog was sick with what the vet insisted was gastroenteritis and he was wrong. I brought my dog to him 5 or 6 times. My dog ended up having a blockage and it was too late before they did an x-Ray and surgery, by then he was too weak and died. I was heartbroken. I'll never be over that dog.

I don't want to scare you, with dogs it could really be anything. The minute she starts throwing up/unable to retain food and becoming lethargic take her to a vet that you trust. I hope she'll be alright anon.
>>
>>2253928
Get a second opinion and DONT put the dog down. My neighbours 9-year old mutt recently got diagnosed with the same problem. Their vet said he'd have to be sedated to proceed with surgery and they declined. Their dog seems fine honestly. He was running around with my puppy and playing and showed no signs of discomfort at all. He didn't even look stiff at any point. He probably gets less exercise than he's used to but it's deff a manageable issue
>>
>>2253928
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7E1T-t2Ng
>>
>>2254641
This. Always get a second opinion OP. Especially if your dog appears to still have a good quality of life.

As for rehab, try finding some places where your dog can swim. There's a dog water rehab facility where I live that allows free swim (as in your dog doesn't have to be recovering from anything) on certain days, so I've been trying to take my dog to go more often to do "preventative maintenance " since he's likely to be prone to joint problems as he ages. It's good, very gentle exercise for dogs. Even a lake would be good if you can't find a pool
>>
Im trying not to be judgmental, but im looking at some "shorkie" puppies that are for sale.

The owners are redneck farmer types. The puppies didnt show any obvious red flags, the parents (both were shorkies) were very friendly and looked to be in good health. They didnt look like old beaten down breeders.

The people selling the dogs just didnt seem to give a shit about setting up a time to see them. Their ad looked like it was written by a 5 year old. They said come and claim the dogs before they are ready, but then they literally were too busy for most of the week for you to actually come over.

It seems like they have just let the puppies run free in their yard.

Could their actions have damaged the dogs or ruined the dogs in a permanent way?
The dogs seemed great while the owners seemed like scumbags.
The dog would be replacing my retired fathers late yorkie. It would be coddled and treated well by him.

If anyone else were the owners I would have pulled the trigger already, but im really apprehensive.
>>
>>2254641
>>2254695
>>2254740
Thanks guys.
According to the first vet it's completely torn, not ruptured, but my mom's taking him to a different doctor tomorrow to confirm.
I'm going to suggest trying everything not to put him down, but obviously she will if it seems his quality of life will be bad.

I saw him today, possibly for the last time, and he was happy and hopping around on three legs, although on painkillers obviously.
>>
My dog likes to sniff and lick on the feet of every chair he sees, why?
>>
>>2254913
>be turbo virgin dog
>tfw no dick
>horny all of the time because of muh stimulus
>fucking NEET keeps staring at me while i seduce these long legged beauties
>>
>>2254821
You seem like an asshole
>>
>>2254970
A judgemental asshole at that.
>redneck farmer types that are too busy
Well yeah, right now is a busy time for redneck farmer types, they are trying to get crops in so they can make a living. I can't believe they vouldnt drop everything to accommodate this fag
>the dogs are left to run loose
On a farm, in the care of people who care for animals for a living mind you.
>the shit breeders
They probably have their own opinions of the entitled city fag wasting their time.
>>
>>2254970
Meh, ive decided against it anyways.

They were pure white trash. They didnt give enough of a fuck to sell me a dog, there is no reason to think they have treated their dogs correctly.

>>2254976
>entitled city fag

I grew up in a small town of 5000 people.
Its easy to tell the difference between a hard working farmer and white trash faggot.

Farmers mistreat the fuck out of their hunting dogs. Running their own beagle and lab mills.

I find it funny this board is so vehemently against people "not worthy" of properly owning an animal. Yet you are siding with some scummy people who are breeding out their "designer" dogs for a quick buck.
>>
>>2254979
I was only going off the info you posted, which as another anon said, made you seem like an asshole.
If they were BYB scum then fine, fuck em. The way you described the situation definitely made you seem like an ignorant city fag, passing judgement on a lifestyle you didn't understand. Or in other words, an asshole, one that can commonly found on this board.
>>
>>2254979
Nothing you said makes them seem "scummy" though. It seems like they're treating the animals well. Just seems like you're an asshole.
>>
>>2254882
Aww I'm sorry to hear. Do keep us updated though
>>
File: 00i0i_hri5iI0XPpj_600x450.jpg (49KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00i0i_hri5iI0XPpj_600x450.jpg
49KB, 337x450px
I'm thinking about getting this dog off craiglist tomorrow. She's a mini pincher and chihuahua mix. I'm kinda forced to have a small dog due to my living circumstances.

Anyone have any advice or stories on getting dogs from craigslist? She's 6 months old, and has her puppy shots and is microchipped and potty trained. Also she's been socialized with bigger older dogs. The reason shes being given away is cuz she needs more attention, which I'm hoping I'd be able to give her cuz im doing shit nothing right now in my life. Anything else to ask or look out for? I've never really adopted a dog before but I've raised puppies.
>>
>>2255935
me and my family have gotten 4 dogs off craigslist.

I would be afraid to get a puppy, just because of health issues and stuff like parvo and because the number of people scamming with puppies is much higher than with adult dogs.

in almost every situation, the owners were not 100% honest, but there were always signs. my mom's newest dog is one of the greatest, smartest puppers I've ever seen.
>>
>>2255935
>>2255937
forgot a few things:
ask for vet records! the best thing you can do is get a vet refrence, which will pretty much rule out this person being a puppy flipper.
>>
>>2255939
Yeah I'll definitely be asking for records. I've been looking for awhile, this one is the first that fits my criteria. There's no particular red flags that I've seen yet but I'll keep my eyes open, thanks.
>>
My roommate's dog of 3 years has horrible separation anxiety, if you leave him alone for as little as 30 seconds he starts barking and possibly urinating.
I don't know how, but I feel like my roommate is making it worse by coddling him. Any tips?
>>
>>2255962
give him a sedative like melatonin
>>
I had to cut the thin end of a surface root of a maple (Acer platanoides) in order to be able to dig up a tree stump. What are the odds this'll kill the maple? The cut part was ~2 meters from the base of the root.
>>
>>2256088
One surface root won't hurt. Maples are very resilient.
>>
>>2252461
Be careful while playing fetch and ither running around. When I first got my doggo I accidentally ran her paws raw. Labs don't know when to stop playing.
>>
>>2245638
I used to wonder about that. I think it's from lying down on hard or rough surfaces.
>>
What's the best way to deal with a dog that's poorly trained? My sister-in-law got a dog as a puppy and did a terrible job training it. It's basically an adult now. It bites, jumps on people (which really sucks because it's claws are talons -they don't walk it so it's claws don't wear down naturally- and it's too hot for long pants in their house), growls menacingly, barks all the time, and is just generally awful to be around. I have to spend about 4 days a month there, and the dog makes me dread it. I can't really discipline it in front of the owners because they'd lose their minds. Short of abuse, is there any way to make the dog just leave me alone? I've gone without water or bathroom breaks because I don't want to leave the one room the dog isn't allowed in.
>>
>>2256808
get him a kong toy
https://www.kongcompany.com/
you put treats like peanut butter inside of it and it will entertain the dog for a good while
just fill it with treats and throw to the dog when you want him to leave you alone
also try taking him on walks a nice long walk will tire him out and make him less apt to bug you
>>
Where do I find reputable dog breeders
>>
>>2256129
Ooh, just be careful with fetch in general. Only do it on soft surfaces.

Played fetch somewhere too rough once, my dog tore both carpal pads to ribbons. Blood everywhere. Only took 5 minutes.
>>
>>2257000
I have the reputation of breeding with my dog, if you know what I mean.

[spoiler]I MEANT SEXUAL INTERCORS PEEPEE INTO VAGOO JAM JAM JAM CUUUUUUM AND THE HOOOOME OF THEEEE BRAVE AMERICA FUCK YEAH :^)[/spoiler]
>>
>>2257028
I think people in general should be more conscious of the fact that dogs essentially run around barefoot everywhere.

if you cant walk on that stony path in the woods barefoot without injuring yourself, your dog cant either
>>
Our bernese mountain dog is about 13 weeks old. When can we start teaching her to pull carts? Also, she is hands down the best puppy I've ever seen. She learned the rules almost instantly, doesn't fight with the cat or the baby, doesn't bark except to tell us she needs to go out, and is soft as fuck.
>>
>>2256877
I'd love to take it for a walk, but it's never been on a leash and the neighborhood apparently isn't safe to walk in. I'm also not trying to spend any money on that dog, I don't really support how the owners have and intend to raise it (BYB). Thank you for the advice though, if I ever get a dog of my own I'll remember that.
>>
>>2257226
>how do I get dog to behave
>no I don't want to put any effort into dog

Okay, then it won't behave. Deal with it
>>
File: IMG_0372.jpg (77KB, 1216x668px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0372.jpg
77KB, 1216x668px
My dog will poop outside before I leave for work, but twice within the past couple of months, I've come back home to a huge pile of shit on the floor, even if he went that morning. He doesn't seem sick or anything, but he is an older lab of 7 years. What do?
>>
>>2257241
I mean does discretely smacking it or snapping fingers in its face work? It's not mine so I'm limited, I'm essentially just looking to get it to leave the room or something when I'm there.
>>
Should I breed a bitch if one of her puppies was born with one closed ear canal? Maybe it's the male's genetics that caused it, are there any tests for this?
>>
>>2257248
7 years, that's a damn old dog. You can get a new pup of the same breed - or a different breed if you so prefer - and get rid of ol' yeller by selling him, or keeping him a few more years if you don't mind the extra cleanup work.
>>
Just got home from first visit at the dog park. I just want to know if I did the right thing or if I was the problem in this situation:

>dog enters park, 10 mo neutered large breed, for the first time
>plays with other dogs by galloping after them/being chased for about 20 minutes
>smaller dog who had been on the other side of the park comes over
>starts to play with my dog somewhat aggressively
>jumps on his back, bites his scruff and ears
>worried, but don't want to be too over protective since I'm not sure what is too rough
>eventually other dog starts to bite and hold on/give a shake and growling louder
>jumps on my dog's back and he rolls on his back showing tummy
>other dog continues to bite his neck and throat, won't let him get back up
>walk over to break it up and kneel next to my dog while holding an arm out to keep dog away
>it circles around my arm to keep getting at my dog
>owner comes over and pulls his dog away
>immediately comes back after my dog and knocks him down
>repeat owner dragging away, calling his dog back, only to have it come after my dog again
>owner eventually picks up his dog (which is snarling at this point and it nips him as he picks it up)
>walks away loudly saying "don't bring your dog here if you can't..."
>can't hear what else he says
>he goes to put dog down in the middle of another group of dogs
>IMMEDIATE PANDEMONIUM as a fight breaks out
>3 dogs involved, first a golden who gets dragged away by owner, then a pit mix
>owner of snarling dog finally picks his up and gets bitten twice
>I'm holding my dog and a little samoyed by the collar to keep them from getting close
>we leave soon after

I feel like the other dog was being too aggressive with mine, but I'm still worried that I caused all that to happen because I was being over protective. The guy and the group of people he was hanging near kept staring at us after it happened, so I feel like I won't be welcome at that park anymore.
>>
>>2257806
Dog parks are fucking garbage.
>>
>>2257806
His dog was obviously being an aggressive twat and he's trying to shove the blame onto you. Have dealt with guys like this at parks before; usually what happens is their dog finally either gets put in its place hard or the guy is threatened by someone bigger than him and he leaves with his dick between his legs and doesn't come back.

Keep bringing your dog to the park so he can learn appropriate play behavior.
>>
>>2257806
It's hard to say if you were being over protective without actually seeing it. Some dogs do just play rough when they're wrestling and are more vocal than others. If your pup wasn't yelping or attempting to get away I would think he didn't mind the way the other dog was acting.

Don't feel too bad either way. The safety of you and your dog is always priority so it's good that you were at least being attentive and stepped in when you felt uncomfortable
>>
>>2257951
Yup, I'd rather be on the safe side. With more familiar dogs you can more easily evaluate whats going on. My younger dog used to yelp constantly when playing with the older one, but we quickly realized that the cheeky little bastard was cheating and yelping when nothing was wrong. Maybe just to make the older dog back off so he could get on the attack. On the other hand the older dog is constantly rumbling and growling when playing. If you didnt know that, youd think they are literally killing each other but nope, just being weird.
>>
>>2242547
Hey guys. I'm from Texas and I just moved out, kinda want an animal companion. I like cats but also kind of want a dog, as I've always wanted something like a Husky or an Akita. My main concern however is the heat down here, it regularly hits 110 F in the summers. Could that be a problem for a Husky/Akita? I know they have thick fur. Any basic advice?
I had two miniature snausers when I was a kid.
>>
>>2258030
>Could that be a problem for a Husky/Akita?
Yes. Shaving would be mandatory, even then it will still be a problem for a husky, especially if it's an outside dog.
>Any basic advice?
Adopt a mutt from a shelter, keep $1500-2000$ in bank for emergencies, socialization with dogs and humans is important, basic obedience training is important, realize you are responsible for another living breathing thing and act accordingly.
And oh yeah, don't mess with Texas.
>>
>>2258043
if TX were so good then it would have the wall, not mexico
>>
>>2258043
>shaving

That's extremely bad for dogs like huskies. First of all, their coat is meant to keep them warm and cool.

If you live in such a tropical climate you shouldn't have that kind of dog anyway.
>>
>>2258052
This. Shaving a husky's coat will fuck it up.

Don't get a dog meant for a colder climate. Given anon wanted something like "a husky or an akita"--two dogs with different temperaments/jobs, I'd say he wants the dog more for its looks and thus is a faggot and should get a dog suited for his home.
>>
>>2258052
>>2258072
I don't really know what you want me to do. I'm sorry for liking specific dog's looks over others?
>>
Alright, I've been doing this for about three days now not sure if it's a bad training habit.

But, I've been jogging with my dog on a trail nearby. We've been working on come, so I decide to let him off leash. He's a very high energy dog, so he runs all over, behind and way in front. The trail is safe, so I'm fine with him as long as he's within eyesight. Whenever he's getting too far ahead, he'll look back and make sure he can still see me, if not he'll wait for me. And if he's getting too far behind, I'll call and he'll come.

However, when I see other dogs off leash, they always stick by their owner.

Is this a bad idea to do? I do eventually want to train him to be off leash in public.
>>
>>2258089
>I don't know what you want me to do

Don't get an animal that isn't suited for the climate that you live in you idiot.
>>
>>2258030
In temperatures that high, you're going to have to keep an inside dog, not an outdoor dog. Only time dog goes outside during the heat of the day is to potty, then straight back inside. Provided you have AC. If you don't have AC, just give up now.

Walk the dog in the very, very early morning, before sunrise, or after sunset to minimise risk of heat damage to paws from hot surfaces, and also heat stroke.

>>2258052
Absolutely do not shave a double-coated dog except under the most extenuating circumstances. (Like that one time my GSD had HGE and came home from the vet caked in dried on bloody shit that we couldn't wash out, which necessitated taking the scissors to the affected patches of fur and trimming them short.) Heat is not an extenuating circumstance, since their double coats help insulate them from both high and low temperatures, and shaving them fucks up the way the fur grows back.
>>
Did mods finally ban the shitposters.
>>
>>2258089
There's nothing wrong with liking the looks of certain dogs. But other traits are more important when deciding on a pet. Akitas and huskies are beautiful but they are NOT easy dogs to live with. It's important to make sure that a dog's personality and energy level is suitable for your own
>>
File: IMG_20161104_155002~01.jpg (2MB, 1915x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161104_155002~01.jpg
2MB, 1915x2560px
What kind of wasp nest is this? Found it in a tree in my yard today. The leaves had previously covered it to where I couldn't see it. There's nothing in it anymore. Is it fine to get rid of? Someone told me to leave it because it deters other wasps. I'm in Western Montana btw.
>>
>>2257819
>>2257831
>>2257951
>>2257959

Thank you for the opinions. I feel better about it now, especially thinking back on it a little more. I'll keep taking him to the park and watch out for him.
>>
This one is stupid im sure

How is it that wild predatorial animals don't have permanent blood-stains around their face?

Do they wash themselves after eating, or those it just wear off with some time?
>>
>>2258566
It wears off.
Remember anon, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
>>
>>2258567
Does it wear off from meal to meal?
>>
File: 1473392280492.png (228KB, 342x354px) Image search: [Google]
1473392280492.png
228KB, 342x354px
My dogs breath smells like absolute shit. he has an aura of farts. We've caught him eating his own shit quite a few times and he constantly tries to get into the garbage. We feed him a variety of food and there's no chance of a nutrient deficiency.

How can we stop him?
>>
>>2258573
Bad breathe is dental issues.

Get him checked up.
>>
>>2258569
Depends on the animal, but most predators who engage in bloody feasts that leave thier faces a gory mess will not eat like that everyday. They will however drink everyday which I'm sure aids in the clean up process, and some of the meat eating apex predators also have grooming tendencies, like big cats.
But again, I'm sure most of it wears off.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
How long until he dies?

He's about 7 years old, I rescued him from A neglectful owner and i'm a student. I don't have money to take him to a vet for his various health issues. I believe he has a prolapsed hemipenis and he won't eat unless i crush his mealworms up for him and smear them on his nose. I kinda wanna give up.
>>
File: 20161104_154504.jpg (595KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161104_154504.jpg
595KB, 2048x1152px
Hey guys I posted earlier about getting a dog off craigslists. She's with me now and adjusting well. She doesn't exactly understand potty training though. She's 6 months old.

First couple days she'd get scared and pee a little on the ground when I'd pick her up. I clapped my hands and she stopped, took her outside.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have her signal to me when she has to go. She is holding it in till we're finally outside, which I don't think is good.
So far whenever I witness her go to the bathroom i say "go potty" and praise her.

So basically is there a good way to have my dog tell me when she needs fo go?
>>
>>2258580
Different anon, but I'm sure they might lick it off each others faces too.
>>
File: 1304186768752.png (128KB, 367x550px) Image search: [Google]
1304186768752.png
128KB, 367x550px
I haven't been to /an/ in about 3 years. Are bugguy or nociception dude still here?
>>
>>2259080
yes, we're both here.

I'm nociception dude and I've been lurking /biz/ lately. But I have a thread on the board about a Caribbean cruise I went on a week ago. Also my usual posts in /aq/ and a post or two in the dinosaur thread.

bugguy is now plont, he's here daily.
>>
Hey guys. When I was taking her out to pee today it was icy and my puppy went out the door a little too fast and had a tumble, she seemed to land on her leg, fell over and winced, she was nursing it for about 5 minutes, had a bit of a limp and then came in and took a nap for 40 minutes. When she woke up she was as playful as usual and her limp was mostly gone, she's running around now like nothing happened. I examined her legs and paw pads and moved them around there was no indication she was in pain.

She has a vet appointment tomorrow morning for her second round of vaccinations, should I just bring it up then? It's with a different clinic because I don't trust the one in my town/within walking distance any more, the vet's negligence killed my last dog. But I would take her there if it's an emergency.
>>
where do you guys keep your crates? And how do your dogs treat/use it?

I have mine in the porch right off the living room that is barely used, my dog will go in every once in a while but doesnt go in the crate to lie down on his own
He's okay when I put him in there though, I was just wondering how to make it more inviting for him or should I just leave it?
When we're in the living room, he usually lies around different places on the floor unless I explicitly tell him to go to his bed or crate
>>
>>2260142
Doesn't sound like there's a problem. Your doggo just wants to be by people instead of isolated on the porch. My pup is the same way. She's perfectly fine if I tell her to go in there, but she rarely goes in there on her own just because it's far away from the family.
>>
File: Dog-Training-1.jpg (25KB, 500x299px)
Dog-Training-1.jpg
25KB, 500x299px
Looking for online resources, preferable youtube to learn basic things about dogs. To read them, interprate their behaviour correctly and treat them appropriated. Several things about dog training, like learn how to walk them on a leash, teach them commands and just make them follow me and my rules.
>>
>>2242547

I get some discarded corn stalks from a few nearby farmers. (They don't even ask for money, as long as I take some off their hands). Mostly, it's for religious purposes, as I use them to make the schach of a sukkah.

I recently got married, and the missus brought in a trio of rabbits, who try to eat my corn stalks. Is it safe to feed them that?
>>
Is this a good discipline technique?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNoaJLa1-o
>>
>>2259023
I think most dogs will kind of figure it out their own way. My dog just naturally started to whine when he was a pup to signal he wanted out. I've heard of other dogs who will just go to the door as a signal.

I have also heard a technique where you teach a dog to ring a bell to tell you. I don't know anyone personally who's tried it, but here's a link if you are interested! http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-bell-training.html
>>
>>2260446
i found this site incredibly helpful when I got my first puppy ever, especially since I knew nothing about dogs
dogbreedinfo. /com care. htm
It talks a lot about understanding your dog and correcting behaviour accordingly.

I didnt use any dog videos, but you could easily search what you're looking for on youtube and find a user who uploads videos you like
>>
>>2261098
>dogbreedinfo. /com care. htm
woops
dogbreedinfo. com / care. htm
>>
>>2261094
I have raised a chocolate lab and taught her the bell. Just ring it every time you take it out and eventually they will ring it to go out. It's not the only way to do it but it can work.
>>
>>2261100
>>2261098
thank you, i'll have a look.
The problem with outtube is that there are a lot of wannabe dog trainers and everyone has another opinion on how to do things. Every comment section is full of anti-comments. Its really hard to seperate the good from the bad. Some opress their dogs and make them behave because of fear, others give them a treat for everything, some have a misconception of dominance, others compare them to wolfs, more over wolfs in captivity which behave way different than free ones...
>>
>>2242547
If I'm gone for about 7 hours every week will a cat be bored if there's not another cat there or is that depending on their personality? If it is then am I able to tell if a cat will be fine being alone just by checking it out at the shelter?
>>
>>2261415
depends on their personality. do you mean 7 hours a day?

most cats over 2-3 years are pretty fine by themselves. I definitely wouldn't suggest a young cat. unfortunately, shelters are such stressful places it can be hard to really gauge their personality.
>>
>>2261423
Yeah I meant 7 hours a day, sorry. Thanks for the response anon
>>
One of my 1 month old kittens has conjunctivitis in one of his eyes.
I want to know if I can treat it without taking him to the vet, I'm broke as fuck.
>>
>>2261478
yeah, if you pick up some boric acid you can mix it with water to make an eye wash. it's about 1 tb to a cup. I make an ear wash with boric acid as well.

conjunctivitis is a symptom though, so there's probably something else wrong with the kitty that should get checked out.
>>
Guys my bitch is growing some mad cowtits and she ain't even pregnant. At 10 months she was in heat and I noticed her tits began to grow but now she's a year two months and they are fucking huge, I don't know what's happening. If you squeeze them a little bit of milk comes out, but she's not even pregnant so I don't know what the fuck is happening. Is this something severe? Should I take her to the vet? I've had bitches of the same race before and none grew tits until they gave birth.
>>
>>2261549
definitely take her to the vet. it could just be a false pregnancy but I think that lasts just like a month. Off the top of my head, could be a mammary tumor, uterus infection, or hormonal imbalance.
>>
>>2242547
My cat just had its first litter. It got out one day and when she came back she was pregnant. She had seven babies, five of which were stillborn. the other two are still alive and cute as a button.

My question is: when should I start to put food around them, and what type of food should that be?
>>
>>2261572
was she really young or something? that's a lot of stillborn kittens!

kittesn start getting weaned around 6 weeks, so that's when you should start putting food out. canned is much better for them and it's easier for them to figure out it's food. find something high protein and low carb. fancy feast classic is good if you want something easy and pretty good, but there's definitely better food. it's a good idea to put canned food out to the mama too since nursing takes a lot of her energy and a lot of kitties get sick while nursing.
>>
>>2261580
I shouldn't say they were all stillborn; two died immediately after they were born. but the first three were stillborn.

Thank you for your advice! I will be sure to plan accordingly.
>>
>>2261584
aw, poor babies! at least only two kittens will be easier on you and mama.
>>
Do puppies that get parvo suffer developmental delays or mental deficiencies?

I adopted a puppy some months ago. The shelter said he was a parvo survivor, and his physical road to recovery was slow. I was just wondering if it has lasting brain damage too since he seems to he pretty slow to respond and has trouble remembering commands.
>>
Whenever my kitten goes by this one floor length mirror I have, she arches her back, hisses, and then tries to scratch or bite the "cat" she sees in the mirror.

Is this something she'll grow out of, or is she just retarded?
>>
My room gets no light but I want a plant. I'm considering a moss terrarium, and can leave it in indirect LED light and put it under a florescent desk lamp every now and again. Will that be enough light?

Any tips?
>>
>>2262955
Cats don't grow out of being retarded. They just get ugly when they grow up, not smarter.
>>
File: Dog-Bandana.jpg (92KB, 1024x922px) Image search: [Google]
Dog-Bandana.jpg
92KB, 1024x922px
Feel free to answer as little/many questions you want.

>Choosing a pet
-When adopting a pet, should I get a small, medium or large breed?
-Should I choose the dog or should the dog choose me?
-Should I pick from the streets or from an animal shelter?
-Should I buy items/accesories for a dog before it moves to my home or should I buy everything accordingly to my dog's preference?

>Adopting
-What vaccines/treatments/care does a dog that has been recently adopted need?
-Is castration a must?

>Care
-What is the best food for my dog? The tastiest or the most balanced? (I know this sounds kind of obvious, but I wouldnt want my dog to eat something it doesnt enjoys daily.
-Should a dog have lots of toys or only a few?
-How do I get my dog used to be with other dogs/persons?

>Training
-What are the must learn commands a dog should learn?
-How do I train a dog to follow me without the need for a leash?
-How do I train a dog to behave with other dogs and not start unnecessary fights?
-Cage training; a must or not?

>Bonus
Bandanas are the best fashion accessory for a dog, you cannot dispute this.
>>
>>2255910
Been away, didn't have time to respond.
Second vet confirmed torn ACL, doggo is now in doggo heaven.
Thanks for the kind words.
>>
Can a human bean teach a kitten mousing, or is that something you need a mam cat to do?
>>
>>2249034
You really don't. At that age they've still got a lot of growing to do- including with their personality. If you absolutely NEED a lapcat, adopt one.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.