[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I live on a corner lot with a large fenced in front yard and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: toypoodlesf3[1].jpg (22KB, 350x251px) Image search: [Google]
toypoodlesf3[1].jpg
22KB, 350x251px
I live on a corner lot with a large fenced in front yard and no back yard. So naturally my dog spends his outdoor time in the front yard, where there is constant walking traffic right in front of my house.

The dog will follow the pedestrians all the way around the fence barking and screeching at them like he's being tortured

How do I keep this fucker quiet when people walk by? He's a little poodle mix
>>
Have him put down.
>>
>>2242565
This or shock collar. I've also heard that filling a tin can with rocks or marbles and shaking it near the dog works as a deterrent, just do that every time and it will associate it's bad behavior with terrible noises.
>>
>>2242574
>shock collar
you guys advocate those around here? I thought they were a cardinal sin with animal loving folk
>>
>>2242540
>I live on a corner lot with a large fenced in front yard and no back yard.

Nice!
>>
>>2242581
>I thought they were a cardinal sin with animal loving folk
only among dirty hippies
>>
>>2242540
yappy dogs are great burglar deterrents, and anyone casing your place will know not to bother gambling on your house if he knows a yap-dog lives there.

I'd suggest just keeping him indoors more.
>>
>>2242590
I forgot to mention the front of my house is also a stop for multiple school buses which adds to the number of people for him to bark at. especially at 6:30am when the buses are loading. And the other day I found an empty 40oz beer bottle in my yard that I'm afraid some jackass threw at my dog

Sometime I hear people yelling at him to shut up :(
>>
Get him on a leash. Find the distance between him yapping and flipping out at a person, and the distance he doesn't. Sit outside with him for 5 minutes, and every time he doesn't flip out at someone, click, "good!", treat. Work on closing the distance as time goes on.

>>2242581
They have their place. They are very useful when the dog needs particular kind of training where they do not perceive you are the ones issuing the correction, but instead the doggie dogs have smitten them for not being a good boy or girl. The good brands (and using a cheap shock collar is really dangerous) often have a 'vibrate' setting that doesn't even deliver a shock.

That all being said, it is needless and outright boneheaded to advocate their use in fixing every possible behavior, especially as a "first pass" training technique.
>>
>>2242592
definitely just keep him indoors more.

it's easier to train him not to be a fuckhole with strangers on a one-to one basis if you're around but you don't want him to not bark if someone's in your house without your knowledge, you know?
>>
>>2242581
Shock collars, vibration collars and such should be used to get an animal's attention when they otherwise can't hear or see your commands. Often used for blind or deaf dogs, or for off leash dogs, but also can be used for dogs that get seriously reactive/distracted. I'm not sure what anon's training plan is with the shock collar though. Unless they are talking about bark collars, which is for lazy Americans and more often than not, teaches worse behavior than what the dog was expressing before. It's also easier to damage a dog with a bark collar because you don't control it and you can't see the effect.

Unfortunately OP your best bet is to train your dog.
https://youtu.be/OFZ003dY8cU
He's probably an actual faggot but what he says is true
https://youtu.be/jzWszAGKZug
And this is if your dog is barking because of territorial reasons, which im just assuming is the case.
>>
>>2242574
I wouldn't have said it if it was another breed, I just hate poodles.
>>
>>2242602
haha it's the weirdest fucking thing. he's pretty well-behaved. does great at the dog park. but something about people on the other side of chain link fences.

even at the park. if he sees someone walking on the other side of the fence he freaks out. then as soon as they are on the same side he's totally cool
>>
>>2242565
>>2242574

What the fuck, is there some PETA shills here? Your dog is obviously very nervous or agitated, just let him inside more.

Someone could be messing with him. People LOVE messing with small dogs. Fuckers.

I have two small dogs and I have caught two kids messing with them so I ran outside with a knife and told them to fuck off or I would hurt them.
>>
File: IMG_4455.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4455.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2242603
Idk they told me he was a maltipoo when I bought him. He looked it as a 10 week pup then he just kept getting bigger and his hair straightened out
>>
>>2242603
>he prefers pit bulls to poodles
>>
>>2242610
You managed to guess the one 'breed' I dislike more than poodles
>>
>>2242609
looks more like a pomeranian/maltese mix than a poodle/maltese.

but yeah maltese were bred to be alarm dogs for the roman army, so that's over hundreds of years of being bred to bark and get your attention if it notices anything suspicious.
>>
>>2242614
Yeah I'm not too burnt about it. He's a decent dog
>>
>>2242605
You may be reinforcing the behavior by accident, or the behavior could be self-reinforcing. Just teach him the proper way to act around people walking by the fence by giving him a reward when he is calm and he will catch on.

Another possibility is you are providing him with inadequate stimulation and exercise. He might be "finding his job" by barking at people passing by.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161015-134205.jpg (216KB, 702x648px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161015-134205.jpg
216KB, 702x648px
>>2242609
Oh he's actually nice looking, forget what I said then, sorry pupper. Similar to pic related just makes me irate for some reason, probably autism. Standard poodles are ok.
>>
>>2242605
That may be something different then. Fences cause frustration. I usually see it in shelters as most shelters have fence based kennels and dogs learn quickly that it really sucks being on the other side of a fence.

http://bestfriends.org/resources/barrier-frustration

https://youtu.be/Rdf-fgB24Mk
Read up on barrier aggression/frustration and see if that's what you're dealing with.
>>
>>2242623
Thanks man! Seemed like nothing I googled came up with solutions for issues similar to mine. I don't really have the dog training vocabulary
>>
>>2242608
>ran outside with a knife because two kids were "messing" with your dogs
what the fuck
>>
>>2242592
Why do you keep him outside all the time?
>>
>>2246400
>>2246400
I don't. Typically we leave the door open and he comes and goes. Or when we have the AC on or there are lots of bugs, he lets us know when he wants to go outside.

I don't think I made clear how frequently people walk by our house
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.