[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are GloFish Tacky?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (9KB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
9KB, 300x182px
Are GloFish Tacky?
>>
>>2242345
Is rainbow coloured substrate tacky?
>>
>>2242345

yes
>>
File: IMG_1111.jpg (82KB, 736x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1111.jpg
82KB, 736x300px
>>2242345
I kinda like the blue glofish Danios, something about the color comes off as not too tacky and still attractive. Doesn't even glow vividly under the light

Otherwise the rest look like fucking highlighters and the poor mans way of having colorful reef fish
>>
Clown vomit fish for your clown vomit rocks.
>>
How can an qni,all be tacky? It can't help it's appearance.
>>
File: tackyjesusclock.jpg (128KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
tackyjesusclock.jpg
128KB, 750x563px
>>2242620
They can't help it, they were designed that way.
>>
>>2242646
This is bitchin, where can I get one?
>>
>>2242646
>They can't help it, they were designed that way.
Like niggers :)
>>
They can't survive in the wild.
>>
>>2242345
>this is what happens when your genome gets decoded - you get turned into swimming confetti
Very sad but kind of hilarious
>>
>>2243112
Aren't some of them injected, or is that another petsmart lie?
>>
>>2243159

Some fish are tattooed.

GloFishâ„¢ are GMO, not injected or tattooed.
>>
File: Origins.png (467KB, 1132x610px) Image search: [Google]
Origins.png
467KB, 1132x610px
Looking forward to neon dogs and cats.
>>
File: _55305878_image2faceclaws-1.jpg (11KB, 304x405px) Image search: [Google]
_55305878_image2faceclaws-1.jpg
11KB, 304x405px
>>2243163
Already done, btw
>>
Glofish were used to test polluted waters. Apparently they're all sterile but sometimes will have babies. If you sell the babies they will sue you.
>>
>>2242345
found the perfect tank for them
>>
>>2243473
Huge tank for all those goldfish don't you think Martha? Looks like it'll take up too much space. I recommend vases.
>>
>>2243478
nicely meme'd
>>
Damn, I had no idea they were GMO. I saw them in a pet store a few weeks ago and just assumed they were injected with something nasty. Pretty awesome that they're GMO, does anyone here have them and what do you think of them? This is the first commercially available GMO animal right? I know glow rabbits and stuff have been made but thy were just one offs for experiments. I kinda wanna get some
>>
>>2243163
>>2243464
Yep. there are neon glowing rabbits and rats too.
>>
>>2243473
Thats fucking disgusting.
>>
Yes, very
>>
File: gif-cuttlefish1.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
gif-cuttlefish1.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>2243585

The gmo's I am looking forward to is cuttlefish rapid color changing skin. Sign me up for that shit.

Neon pink danios can suck a nut.
>>
>>2243585
The original ones has the embryos injected with the glowing proteins that allowed them to grow up into glowing fish, which then they're perfectly capable of breeding and passing down the glowing properties, making them vastly superior to those injected painted fish.

They're not bad and care is literally no different than their non glowing counterparts (the blue light is just to make the glow, not because they need it)

That said most people here hate them because their bright colors just come off as tacky and clash with nearly all aquascaping thanks to the blue lights making everything darker by comparison. (If they were saltwater fish, they could look pretty great in a reef style environment.) Otherwise they're pretty neat in my opinion, and some don't look half bad without the blue light, it's an option if you a little more color in a tank. Plus someone made hybrids with regular counterparts that look pretty neat
>>
>>2243473
well i don't know nuthin bout taking care of fish, but thats kinda cute
>>
>>2242345
Yes, but if you like tacky shit then that's your business and you don't have to answer to anyone for it, least of all 4chan.

>>2242531
Because it more or less just looks like a regular zebra danio, but inverted. The orange ones, under normal lighting, are also fairly tasteful.
>>
>>2243464
>>2243587
Those are glow-in-the-dark, though, not fluorescent.
>>
from a petco employee, it gets the second most "ooh, look!"s by children, usually nemo tops that list. i've grown quite disenchanted by them because of all the people that are like, how quickly can i get these fish to satisfy my children? and my $60 investment plus one week of time is too much for them to handle, not to mention the necessity of a school of them, totaling to $30 for 5 danios and $45 for 5 tetras/barbs. i'm over them so much.
>>
>>2243769
>not to mention the necessity of a school of them, totaling to $30 for 5 danios and $45 for 5 tetras/barbs. i'm over them so much.
PetSmart anon here. Since most people only want to buy two or three of them to start, I always suggest they make up the difference with the wild counterparts. Skirt tetras, zebra danios, and tiger barbs are $2-3 each.

They are remarkably popular, given their price, but I've never sold a glofish barb.
>>
They were my fucking bane when I worked at petsmart.
I have achromotopsia and couldnt tell the differences in yellow/orange red/pink and blue/purple and they were probably the most bought fish
>>
>>2243738
The orange ones look like a more intense Golden zebra danio so they also get a pass. I will admit, the red is probably on the border of tacky and decently tasteful, as they almost remind me of Cherry barbs except lighter with whites and reds.

Good tier:
Blue
Orange

Okay tier:
Red

Shit tier:
Purple
Green
>>
>>2243635
>Plus someone made hybrids with regular counterparts that look pretty neat
In case anyone was wondering what they look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzOnRZj7h70
>>
File: just neon my shit up.jpg (73KB, 540x546px) Image search: [Google]
just neon my shit up.jpg
73KB, 540x546px
>>2243769
>>2243776

If I'm understanding correctly, these GMO fish are extra expensive?

That feels so odd to me because they're tacky as fuck. Like succulents spray painted neon and cacti with hot-glued flowers.
>>
I remember a Weird, True, and Freaky episode back in 2009ish, where they showed this "black market" in some weird carnival tent where asians were selling glowing fish made in laboratories. They called the fish Moonlight danios or some shit. I was going through a weird genetic engineering phase(probably watched Jurassic Park or some shit), and I wanted the fish so bad. But this was before they became a huge tacky memefish from Petco.
>>
File: WSJ digits - video shape.png (273KB, 720x495px) Image search: [Google]
WSJ digits - video shape.png
273KB, 720x495px
>>2244028

Yeah, I've similarly been looking forward to
http://www.glowingplant.com/
For a while now.

Apparently they are using more than one method. One is with a gene gun (wish I could afford a gene gun just for fun.) The other method, which they are able to sell as a DIY kit, seems to be via gene transfer from bacteria.
>>
>>2243994
Average person and child find novelty in their gimmick and willing to pay extra for it.
>>
>>2244059
Not to mention the sheer idea of owning a GMO laboratory animal adds to the appeal, especially for Sci-Fi fans
See >>2244028 and >>2243585
>>
Are glofish unethical? Are they treated cruelly to get their colors?
>>
>>2244072
Name brand GloFish® were genetically modified, so it's a question of whether you consider genetically modifying an animal to sell more of it ethical.
>>
well theyre just glowy... the tacky one is the owner.
>>
>>2244121
/thread
>>
>>2244087
They were not created to sell at first.
>>
>>2244165
Right, so the moral issue becomes the fact these animals have become a retail ploy, and have been truly objectified through copyrighting and distasteful corporate practice, rather than the initial bioengineering itself.
>>
>>2243994
a typical skirt tetra is $2-3, while their glow versions are $9-10. standard zebra danios are $1.50 and their glow versions are $6. very rarely do grown adults without children buy them, its always about, my kid likes these more because they're bright and colorful.
>>
>>2244229
They use to be used for water testing. Now they're used for retail. If they have babies and you try to sell them you will get sued.
>>
>>2244398

Thanks, I was wondering. I see them in the pet store and have no interest whatsoever... i feel like I'm shopping at fish hot topic or something.... Though the actual GMO work is interesting to read about.

Still looking forward to GMO cuttlefish-skinned things, though. Sign me up for some cuttlefish/octopus active cammo.
>>
>>2244399
Yeah, exactly - any moral repercussions for actual GMOs pales in comparison to that rampant unregulation and aggressive business practices, in my eyes.
>>
>>2244398
I wouldn't mind a few blue and maybe purple one in with some regulars. I think it would add just a bit of pop to a regular tank. Maybe a small handful of cherry shrimp too.l
>>
>>2244449
Honestly the more I look at some of the colors, it seems a handful of them can actually look tasteful if complimented with good livestock and aquascaping. (while some colors are just irredeemably tacky)

I think it's largely because how they're displayed as well as the kits often sold with them (which are piss poor for any of those fish) just made them associated with pure novelty kid friendly thing about them

Compare a tank with every single available color zipping about with the clown vomit gravel and ultra neon decor in those black lights making them glow vs say, a planted tank with a school of reds or blues emerging in and out through the plants.
>>
File: IMG_4374.jpg (81KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4374.jpg
81KB, 800x533px
>>2244459
They're not too bad under daylight bulbs as long as you avoid clashing colors.
>>
>>2244459
The reds have always looked relatively good to me, since the color isn't quite as bright as the rest.
>>
>>2244459
Ya.
>>2244477
See that's pretty cool looking to me, they just look like brightly colored fish. Kind of how goldfish and fancies have so many colors.

I think I would like a 20/30 gallon with a small handful of purples and reds, maybe on betta, and some shrimp. Maybe a small loach or two if they would fit and get along.
>>
>>2244492
That sketchy stocking at best.
>>
>>2244477
I think I've gone swimming in your tank
>>
>>2244502
Not a good combination? I've never really had much of an aquarium, what would be some better options? I like bettas and loaches, but if they don't mix, I'm interested in looking at other species.
>>
>>2244544
I wouldn't trust a betta with all of those brightly colored fish, you're practically baiting him in to killing them
>>
>>2244544
>>2244626
Also they may nip at the betta
>>
>>2244544
A betta might go after bright fish like Glofish.
Zebra danios and skirt tetras themselves are known for being rather nippy and could go after the betta's fins.
Shrimp with any of those is questionable at best. Sometimes bettas do okay with them.
Loaches are incredibly social and need to be in larger groups (5-8), and there are few that stay small enough for a 20/30 gallon tank.
Many loaches also eat snails.
>>
>>2244658
>>2244626
>>2244628
Hmm...would loaches and danios get along ok? And could I reasonably house say...5 danios, and 5 loaches in a 30 gallon?
>>
>>2244666
Pygmy chain loaches (snail eaters) or kuhli loaches, yes. Most danio species aside from giant danios would be fine. If that's all you want, even a 20 gallon would be okay, but a 30 certainly wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>2245125
I really liked the kuhli loathes actually. Maybe after I move I can set up a tank.
>>
File: microalgae_figure_1.jpg (472KB, 750x515px) Image search: [Google]
microalgae_figure_1.jpg
472KB, 750x515px
>>2243473
Can't wait to mess this shit up famm
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.