[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with my tomato seedling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 20161013_174333.jpg (345KB, 608x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161013_174333.jpg
345KB, 608x1080px
Newbie gardener here.

Last night I checked in on it and its seed leaves were turning a little brown. This morning I woke up and they had dropped off. I knew this was unusual but I figured it probably wasn't that bad. Went to uni/work, came back and now it looks like this. I'm afraid my plant is dying and I don't know why.

I live in Baton Rouge so it's getting a little cool at night but it's not that cold. I water it a little every morning so I don't think it's getting too little/too much water. Is it a fungus? Is it a deficiency? Or am I just bad at raising plants?
>>
What kind of medium are you growing in?

I'm partial to soil-free organic mixes.
>>
>>2241246
I know I might be shunned for this, but I'm using some premade Miracle Gro potting mix my roommate had in her shed. I would have gone out and bought my own peat moss/pearlite/compost but I'm a little strapped for cash and she wasn't using it.
>>
>>2241234
i think it has autism
sorry you had to hear it from me
>>
>>2241234
My crops already flourished, fruited and died off.
I've never tried to grow tomatoes this late in the year.

Nothing wrong with the potting soil choice. I've done some large scale stuff and just mixed my own "soil" using sand, clay and detritus from my property without issues.
>>
>>2241361
Granted I've never seriously tried growing crops or plants before, I just figured since Louisiana doesn't get terribly cold in the winter that I'd be okay growing plants now. If it really makes a difference I'd wait until next year, I just thought "what the heck" and did it.
>>
>>2241390
I'm in Georgia and it was pretty cold a couple nights ago.
Got down to 49° in Atlanta. Don't know what LA is doing but it doesn't take much to screw with plants.
>>
>>2241404
Ah well. I guess if this little guy doesn't make it I'll try again next Spring.

In the meantime, are there any plants/crops I can sow now that'll thrive in the winter? I really want to be able to get a seed to grow to full maturity. I'm living in an apartment so I'm confined to potted porch plants only. Luckily the porch area gets a significant amount of sun.
>>
>>2241416
Lettuce, cabbage, turnips, lots of leafy green veggies that are easy to grow.
>>
>>2241404
My tomatoes were all exposed to 0.2°C one April night, they didn't mind it
>>
>>2241539
Thanks. I'll see if I can grow some spinach and lettuce maybe. I have some cilantro growing but I read up on it and people say now's a good time to start. Hopefully I'll have better luck!
>>
>>2241933
Very nice stuff to grow now is corn salad (Valerianella locusta) but maybe it's too warm in your area even in winter (so it bolts too quickly)
>>
>>2241234
probably too late in the year. not that its too cold but maybe the hours of sunlight are too short. plants aren't like us in that if certain criteria aren't met they just sort of self-destruct. unlike animals they can't just seek out a more suitable environment so if the days are too short and the nights are too long...

btw /out/ is a better place for plant advice because of the homegrowman thread.

while i'm thinking its likely environmental, too late in the year, those leaves look like maybe it got a disease like a virus.
>>
File: 2016-03-01_02-13-52.jpg (538KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-01_02-13-52.jpg
538KB, 1200x800px
>>2241993
I've started a part of my tomatoes during winter solstice without additional lighting, and here at 50°N that means only 8 hours of daylight, solar altitude of less than 17° during noon, 90% of the time it's overcast plus window glasses additionally suck away a good part of the little light during that period
They still did fine on a Southern window + alu-foil coated press board behind them and didn't turn leggy, it's key though to not overly heat the room where you grow them, it was mostly 15-17°C in there, only when the sun was out it got hotter locally, up to 42°C
>>
Do you have any advice for a broken bamboo stalk? Are you able to splint this kind of plant? It snapped at the area where it connects to the root and is barely hanging on.
>>
>>2242068
ah. neat.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.