[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Montreal Pit Bull Ban Suspended

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: pit-bull-ban.jpg (118KB, 940x545px) Image search: [Google]
pit-bull-ban.jpg
118KB, 940x545px
"Judge temporarily suspends controversial Montreal pit bull ban"

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/judge-temporarily-suspends-controversial-montreal-pit-bull-ban-1.3099486

"A Quebec judge temporarily suspended Montreal's controversial regulation banning new pit bulls Monday and questioned whether the city overstepped its bounds in enacting the bylaw.

He is expected to rule before then whether the law should remain suspended until the legal case being mounted by the Montreal SPCA against it can be heard on its merits -- a process that could be months away.

The suspension means pit bulls can still be adopted and muzzling is not mandatory as had been planned.

By using an elastic definition, there will be many more dogs who will be put into this category who will be muzzled and ... develop dangerous characteristics

A major issue is how to identify a "pit bull-type dog" as stated in the bylaw.

"The City of Montreal is giving different responses to each person," SPCA lawyer Marie-Claude St-Amant told the court. "People are worried. They want to know and they don't know and even the city doesn't know how to interpret it."

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's gotta be a duck," Cadieux said. "And people will look at it from this criteria"

.... yeah, that law is gone. Nice try, dumbasses.
>>
>>2234831
This was so poorly implemented in the first place. Fucking Quebec bureaucracy sometimes..
>>
>>2234844

Well, I'm not a smart man, but I really don't see a way to fix it.

All other issues aside, you can't pay to DNA test all dogs, and you certainly can't make the owners pay. Even if you did, the DNA tests have a 10% margin of error (I use Wisdom Panel 3.0 and that does, anyway). You'd need to have a process for appeals, which would clog up courts.

It's a waste of money and other resources, and it can't be done with any confidence in the results.

Again, this has nothing to do with whether the dogs are dangerous. I'm only talking about the logistics of trying to determine a breed on a city-wide scale. It's not possible, and the SPCA knows that and is giving them hell about it. And winning.
>>
>>2234844
This. The dog that attacked was a registered Boxer anyway. I honestly think this ban is a way to get it's citizens more compliant about living in a police state with some of the laws they squeezed in there.

>Police are allowed to enter and search any home without a warrant
>What is a pit bull would be decided by police who are allowed to dispatch on spot if they feel threatened
>Dogs only need a single pit bull characteristic, pedigree papers or registration are not taken into consideration
>Either have your dog euthanized or pay $150
>For every single violation, either have your dog euthanized or pay another $150
>Taxes are expected to go up to afford more ACO and homeless dog euthanasia, despite the SPCA having to pay for this themselves
>SPCA will get fewer grants to run their facility because their adoption to euthanasia rates will be extremely poor

And Canacucks will still defend this
>>
>>2234831
>questioned whether the city overstepped its bounds

>>2234849
>>Police are allowed to enter and search any home without a warrant

.... Gee, you think?
>>
>>2234849
Oh, I forgot this one

>Pit bull owners need to do their own background checks
>There is currently no procedure in place to allow pit bull owners in mass to obtain their own background checks
>People with traffic violations can not own a dog
>>
>>2234844
>This was so poorly implemented in the first place.

This is how it works. It's the same way in the US. They wait for a dramatic event, then pounce on the opportunity to push through insane laws.

I'll give 2 examples:
That San Bernardino "terror" attack when they were trying to get a law passed that would force phone makes to crack their own software - they knew damn well that there was nothing on that phone. It was a work phone and not his personal phone. They just wanted to use the opportunity to set a precedent, and thank god it failed.

9/11 and the PATRIOT act that stripped away an enormous of our freedoms - that also played off national emotions and made politicians unable to fight it or they'd be considered "Unamerican" and it would be career suicide.

This is what governments do. They push through the most damaging legislation and seizes power in periods where emotions run high.
>>
>>2234859
Anarchy when?
>>
Why not..just like...make people take a dog class on basic dog body language if they want to own a dog over 30 pounds?
>>
>>2234857
Traffic violations? Are you fucking serious?

So if I'm chilling to music, going 70 in a 65 and some cop decides to be a sick and give me a ticket, I can't adopt a dog now?

Fuck
That
>>
>>2234849
KILL ALL PITBULLS
problem solved.
>>
>>2234851
>>>Police are allowed to enter and search any home without a warrant
Nowhere in the bylaw does it say this. Dispatch on spot means if they see somebody on the street walking a pitbul unmuzzled or something
>>
>>2235414
It has to be a misdemeanor, like not switching lanes for a cop. Most speeding ticket you can usually plea down to a parking violation unless you're being a real dickhead.

Also idk where you live but where I'm from no one bats an eye if you go 5mph over. Usually around here you need to be going more than 12mph over a least

>>2235420
You're right, it's any city official. Which is considerably worse.
http://www.chicobandido.com/public/montreal_animal_bylaw_en.pdf

Some other things to consider-
>Any potentially dangerous dog is also subject to the same pit bull treatment
>A potentially dangerous dog is one that seems like it could be dangerous, which includes 'barking menacingly'
The way they worded their dangerous dog section, it seems like you can have, say, a Shepherd that has mauled or killed and he will only be subject to the $150 fine, muzzle, 4 ft leash etc. But if you have 2 perfectly friendly dogs that are considered pit bulls, one of them has to die or find a new home
>You can't rehome pit bulls; you have to bring them to a shelter or vet who are required to euthanize
>No one can walk more than one dog unless you pay for a permit; permit only allows you to walk 3 at a time
>Many of these permits need to be paid to be renewed
>You can't bury animals anymore or throw them out in Montreal; you have to get them cremated.
What gets me is that there are all these fines and paid permits in place not just for pit bull owners, but dog and even cat owners. The city is going to be raking in the cash, but the SPCA is the one doing all of the work. They have to euthanize the majority of the dogs, they have to seize the dogs, their officers have to enforce these laws. And they are non profit; the city not only isn't giving them any cash for the operations, but it's actually hurting them as they won't get nearly as many grants because their adoption/euthanasia rates will be abysmal. More work and more costs for less money and a bad stigma
>>
>>2235418
then there would just be another problem breed.
just look at history. gsd, rottweilers and dobermans have all been "the" problem dog at some point in history, yet they are not nearly as infamous as they used to be.
>>
File: WTFmanSloth.jpg (133KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
WTFmanSloth.jpg
133KB, 550x413px
>>2235449
>No one can walk more than one dog unless you pay for a permit; permit only allows you to walk 3 at a time
>>
>>2236095
dobermans from what i understand had to be trained for attack dog purposes, and were used for its 'need-to-please' nature in the first place, which is why attacks involving them dropped off pretty quickly.

Rottweilers on the other hand have been used for military purposes since the roman empire so aggression issues would be harder to breed out. Kind of like how Maltese have been used as watchdogs so their hair-trigger yapping is something that is deeply ingrained.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.