[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hurricane problems.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: hurricanefuccew.jpg (138KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hurricanefuccew.jpg
138KB, 1280x720px
So, it's a definite problem here. Hurricane Matthew is going to hit Miami(and me). It's a strong possibility cable, internet, phone, and electricity is going to go out for a few days at best. What should I do to protect my tanks and plants?

I'm particularly worried about my tree fern, but I can just bring it inside. I'm more worried about my 3 tanks: My reef, my mudskipper, and my planted.

What should I do /an/?
>>
What kind of place do you live in? House, building/apartment? Never been in FL so I don't suppose you have a basement. Not that moving tanks is easy.

I've through Katrina and Sandy full blast. Neighbor has a tank he boarded up with wood the day before it hit as well had a generator. His house as fucking trashed, tank over flowed and lost some plants and a gourami or something but the glass held up and everything else survived. They looked like fucking shit for a good week though.
>>
>>2234266
>Implying anyone in Florida has basements
I live in a one story concrete house that is code for my area for hurricane protection(though Andrew went through it like butter).

I know if I don't have a/c and no power, my reef and possibly freshwater tank will just rot. I'm not as afraid for my mudskipper though. He's tough as nails and is built for the mugginess. I'm just kind of getting nervous because this is the first hurricane I've been through since I was little, and I just want to prevent as many bad things as I can.
>>
>>2234277
Well, I did say I've never been to FL. I can't even think of the last house I've been in that didn't have a basement so I want sure.

Well if you're house survived just fine then you need power. Good luck finding one so soon though. Craigslist should have them if you can't buy one at a store. If you're fine with only powering your tanks you won't need much. I forgot what one we have but it'll last almost two days running 24/7 on a full tank. It's heavy as fuck, and i never had a smaller one but if you're running it it needs to be outside.
>>
>>2234261
There are battery driven pumps/heaters for such cases. Stack up on those. I also remember joey of king of diy doing a power outtage special on his channel so you may wanna check that. Which the best of luck.
>>
>>2234261
Buy a generator? It's about $300 for a decent used one (though I'm sure anyone selling secondhand is going to charge a premium before a hurricane) and maybe $50 for the fuel you'll need.

You can also rent generators from heavy equipment rental places I think.
>>
you should be alright in terms of heating since it's still pretty much summer there.

you might want to get a battery for your lamps.
>>
>>2234261
>What should I do /an/?
Don't live in such a shithole maybe?
>>
Attach the things you need to a man powered battery of some sort. Like the kind that you power with a foot pump or crank

Also, this
>>2234367
>>
Hurricane Matthew ... why does that sound so familiar. Wasn't there a Hurricane Matthew on the US east coast a decade or two ago?
>>
>>2234417
Names are re-used every 4 years and are only retired when one causes major damage, then a new name is put into the rotation
>>2234372
I doubt there's a generator for sale within 200 miles of OP for less than $5k right now.

But all OP needs is an inverter to run off his car. Buy an extra battery for $60 right now. Run inverter off of car or spare battery- use car to recharge when needed so your not running engine 24/7.
>>
Release all fish back into the wild you fucking dick
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.